PDA

View Full Version : List of Importance on Retaining Coaches going forward

Scared_Hitless
11-26-2018, 12:03 PM
1. Bob Shoop- The defense under his tutelage has shown progress that even the most optimistic didn't see coming. Grantham did a great job last year but we had plenty of lapses. With Shoop we improved in every area and finally stopped the deep ball that has plagued us for seasons. Cohen pay the man if he is willing to stay.

2. Anthony Piroli- One thing on the board I have seen little mention of is how great we looked this season from a S&C standpoint. We had limited injuries, players appeared faster and better shape than before, defense played more snaps than normal and never wilted. Yes I attribute this to depth but also we looked chiseled and manhandled many opponents. Him being in an NFL guy showed with our players this season.

3. Tem Lukebu- Another area we saw vast improvement this season was our LB play. Errol turned into one of the best MLBs in the country and Willie Gay lived up to his talent profile. Yes Leo was pushed to the wayside, but I honestly believe the other guys are just better players currently. He is still really good. The infusion of NFL guys has really helped our coaching staff IMO.

4. Huff, Baker, Hudspeth- Our best recruiters and all excelled at their respective positions keep them happy and well paid.

All other guys did a good job but the above must be retained to finally get some continuity for the staff and program. It appears coaches enjoy working for Moorhead which is more than we could say for Dan, so they are not trying to leave at least. Finish strong in recruiting and the future looks bright for the program.

Dawgfan77
11-26-2018, 12:17 PM
Shoop is a must.

I?ll talk to deep this week to see what?s the feeling on the staff

Political Hack
11-26-2018, 12:24 PM
I suspect Shoop will get a lot of looks at HC jobs, and maybe some big time DC jobs, but what he did here was because of the players. We had a special group this year.

I'm a Hud fan, but our WRs need work. Great coach. Great recruiter. I haven't seen him be an outstanding position coach though. He's more suited for an OC/HC role IMO.

Leeshouldveflanked
11-26-2018, 12:28 PM
Would swap Joey Jones for Tony Hughes.

Covercorner2
11-26-2018, 12:36 PM
I suspect Shoop will get a lot of looks at HC jobs, and maybe some big time DC jobs, but what he did here was because of the players. We had a special group this year.

I'm a Hud fan, but our WRs need work. Great coach. Great recruiter. I haven't seen him be an outstanding position coach though. He's more suited for an OC/HC role IMO.

Hud coaches TEs. Getsy coaches the WRs.

StarkVegasSteve
11-26-2018, 12:37 PM
1. Bob Shoop- He fixed the one thing that kept us from being elite last year, defending the deep ball, and kept us strong in the areas we were very good in. He's without a doubt the most important assistant we need to hang onto this offseason.
2. Charles Huff- Absolute grinder on the recruiting trail and I don't think it's talked about enough the job he did with our RBs this year. He had Kylin ready to go from snap 1 and was able to bring the others along when Hill went down. Also, being able to keep Aeris engaged and ready after his job was taken was a hell of a job.
3. Brian Baker- Coaches the best position group we have and has shown an ability to develop as good as any position coach in the conference.
4. Piroli- NFL guy who brought a toughness to our program. Amazing to see the body progressions on some of our guys in only one offseason with him.
5. Hud- Recruiting wise he's probably 2nd most important behind Huff because of his recruiting ties in the Southeast and especially in MS. Would like to see a little more pregression from our TEs next year.
6. Buckley- Thought he really improved our CBs this year and the job he's done with Dantzler, Peters, and Smitherann has been phenomenal.

The rest are pretty interchangeable.

Political Hack
11-26-2018, 12:40 PM
Hud coaches TEs. Getsy coaches the WRs.

Yeah, I guess I was more thinking about his role in the passing game but technically youre right. That's on Getsy. Either way Hud will be an assistant at State as long as he wants barring trouble.

Scared_Hitless
11-26-2018, 12:40 PM
1. Bob Shoop- He fixed the one thing that kept us from being elite last year, defending the deep ball, and kept us strong in the areas we were very good in. He's without a doubt the most important assistant we need to hang onto this offseason.
2. Charles Huff- Absolute grinder on the recruiting trail and I don't think it's talked about enough the job he did with our RBs this year. He had Kylin ready to go from snap 1 and was able to bring the others along when Hill went down. Also, being able to keep Aeris engaged and ready after his job was taken was a hell of a job.
3. Brian Baker- Coaches the best position group we have and has shown an ability to develop as good as any position coach in the conference.
4. Piroli- NFL guy who brought a toughness to our program. Amazing to see the body progressions on some of our guys in only one offseason with him.
5. Hud- Recruiting wise he's probably 2nd most important behind Huff because of his recruiting ties in the Southeast and especially in MS. Would like to see a little more pregression from our TEs next year.
6. Buckley- Thought he really improved our CBs this year and the job he's done with Dantzler, Peters, and Smitherann has been phenomenal.

The rest are pretty interchangeable.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. To think we were worried about the Shoop Hire looking back. Didn't think about Buckley but yeah he did a great job with the CB's this season.

Johnson85
11-26-2018, 01:54 PM

I hope that's a common sentiment and that his UT gig keeps people scared for a little while. Just a few years of continuity would be great at this point.

Delmar
11-26-2018, 02:12 PM

We definitely had a lot of talent on the defensive side, but we were extremely sound and well coached too. That credit goes to Shoop.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-26-2018, 02:44 PM
Let's not forget Shoop had 5 straight Top 25 Defenses at Vandy & Penn St. Yes we have a special group this season but having top notch defenses isn't foreign to Shoop.

Scared_Hitless
11-26-2018, 02:55 PM
Let's not forget Shoop had 5 straight Top 25 Defenses at Vandy & Penn St. Yes we have a special group this season but having top notch defenses isn't foreign to Shoop.

Exactly talent was there last season as well and Grantham had some hiccups and lapses in almost every game. We seem much more fundamentally sound this season and secondary was always on the same page. Must be a hell of a coach.

Walkerhill
11-26-2018, 03:11 PM
Agree with this but I would slide Buck in between Piroli and Lukabu.
CB and DE are critical positions in the modern game and Buck has done a phenomenal job developing the talent available.

Shoop also focuses on secondary so that is a factor also, but the year over year development of CBs has been noteworthy.