PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Carousel Thread

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2018, 10:17 AM
Wondering if we should have a coaching carousel thread like we do a recruiting thread?

If so, here are some early Headlines:

- Mack Brown hired at UNC

- Kendall Briles is interviewing for the Texas State head job. Could Longo back fill Briles at Houston? Not a lateral move, but may give him a better trajectory & get him back to Texas.

- Western Kentucky looks to be close to hiring the Tennessee OC Helton. Freeze's agent just threw him in that mix to get a reaction.

Would be cool if everyone could just add any & everything to this thread. Hirings, rumors, etc.

What do you guys think?

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2018, 10:23 AM
- Looks like Tony Hughes will wait till after the new year to go to work.

- Bo Bounds is reporting that he's hearing, from those inside the MSU program, that Bob Shoop would likely accept a head coaching gig at a place like Yale or UMass for less money than he's making at MSU, but, if he isn't offered a head job, will be back.

MetEdDawg
11-26-2018, 10:23 AM
This is going to be an odd round of hiring. There are a lot of former coaches that are getting hired. Miles and Brown are the first two. Heard Chizik's name thrown around too. But if you are a blue blood like a USC, there aren't names out there that you want. Who is really lighting it up in G5 football or really improving in P5 that you think is a big time hire for your program? Some of these sure fire hires like Durkin, Fuente, and Fleck so far have all had issues.

I don't see any good solid hires right now. So I think you are going to see some oddball hires this go around or some folks stay that otherwise would have gotten fired.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2018, 10:26 AM
This is going to be an odd round of hiring. There are a lot of former coaches that are getting hired. Miles and Brown are the first two. Heard Chizik's name thrown around too. But if you are a blue blood like a USC, there aren't names out there that you want. Who is really lighting it up in G5 football or really improving in P5 that you think is a big time hire for your program? Some of these sure fire hires like Durkin, Fuente, and Fleck so far have all had issues.

I don't see any good solid hires right now. So I think you are going to see some oddball hires this go around or some folks stay that otherwise would have gotten fired.

Agree. There just doesn't seem to be much of a quality G5 coaching pool or big time OCs looking for a head job.

I think hiring are cyclical. Everyone wants the up & coming, young guy until many of those guys start failing. Then they want the older retreads. I think we are now squarely in the re-tread part of the cycle.

BrunswickDawg
11-26-2018, 10:27 AM
Mac Brown to UNC shows that they are a real shit show.
Hire a 67 year old man who coached you 20 years ago, and has been out of football for 5 years, to rebuild a program? Lort.
Have they been watching his analysis on TV? Game has passed that guy by.

MetEdDawg
11-26-2018, 10:30 AM
Hire a 67 year old man who coached you 20 years ago, and has been out of football for 5 years, to rebuild a program? Lort.

This for damn sure. They are in bad shape and hired a guy that's 67 to rebuild their program. They are going to be in a bad situation for a long time. But again, there isn't a name out there that screams hire me to fix and elevate this program.

If you are searching for a HC this year, it's slim pickings.

BrunswickDawg
Agree. There just doesn't seem to be much of a quality G5 coaching pool or big time OCs looking for a head job.

I think hiring are cyclical. Everyone wants the up & coming, young guy until many of those guys start failing. Then they want the older retreads. I think we are now squarely in the re-tread part of the cycle.

It does go in cycles. I think Herm Edwards doing decently at ASU and Butch Davis doing decently at FIU, etc. will get some retreads second looks.

Liverpooldawg
It's starting to look like Helton gets another year at SC.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2018, 10:32 AM

I disagree. Hiring a good football coach is really hard & uncertain. If Mac can hire the right assistants, I think he can get them back to being an 8 win program, then retire in 5 years, & they give the next guy a wonderful launching point.

I think people are seeing that they want mature adults that can get the trains to run on time over the glitzy, sparkly up & coming offense guy. The Kingsburys, Fuentes, etc just haven't been great. Moorhead is still somewhat unknown

We've just entered into a new cycle of coach hiring. Herm, Miles, Brown. Lovie, etc

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2018, 10:32 AM
It does go in cycles. I think Herm Edwards doing decently at ASU and Butch Davis doing decently at FIU, etc. will get some retreads second looks.

Yup. It's a cyclical process.

Pollodawg
11-26-2018, 10:33 AM
What kind of desperation leads you to hire Mac Brown?

msstate7
11-26-2018, 10:35 AM
Howland and ric Barnes are older guys that are working out as re-treads. I doubt brown works out, but I will pull for him... I like em

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2018, 10:35 AM
Update on Texas Tech search

https://twitter.com/kbohls/status/1067072105798344706

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2018, 10:38 AM
What kind of desperation leads you to hire Mac Brown?

Why is it desperation to rehire the best coach you've ever had?

I could've seen UNC hiring Satterfield, but, other than that, why is Mac worse than the other candidates?

The guy won a natty of Texas for goodness sakes. He will be one of 5 coaches in the country that will have won a natty. Think about that.

Just because the wheels fell off at Texas, which is a political nightmare of a job, he has no chance at winning at UNC, where he has won before?

WSOPdawg
11-26-2018, 10:38 AM
- Bo Bounds is reporting that he's hearing, from those inside the MSU program, that Bob Shoop would likely accept a head coaching gig at a place like Yale or UMass for less money than he's making at MSU, but, if he isn't offered a head job, will be back.

Bo Bounds is one of the biggest detriments to MSU athletics that we have. His job-posturing to "favorably" promote himself at the expense of MSU should have every MSU fan tuning him out.

Pollodawg
11-26-2018, 10:39 AM
Why is it desperation to rehire the best coach you've ever had?

I could've seen UNC hiring Satterfield, but, other than that, why is Mac worse than the other candidates?

The guy won a natty of Texas for goodness sakes. He will be one of 5 coaches in the country that will have won a natty. Think about that.

Just because the wheels fell off at Texas, which is a political nightmare of a job, he has no chance at winning at UNC, where he has won before?

Best coach they’ve ever had. Over two decades ago. You want to rehire JWS, much as we love him?

Tbonewannabe
11-26-2018, 10:40 AM

That would be the best move Texas Tech could do. Leach was pushed out over some stupid shit and now Texas Tech realizes that you can't just plug someone in and win 10 games. Leach is perfect for the high octane Big 12.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2018, 10:40 AM
Bo Bounds is one of the biggest detriments to MSU athletics that we have. His job-posturing to "favorably" promote himself at the expense of MSU should have every MSU fan tuning him out.

IDK, it's not really news to me that Shoop would accept a head job. I think it's bigger news that he would probably have to be offered a head job to leave & isn't leaving for another DC job.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2018, 10:41 AM
That would be the best move Texas Tech could do. Leach was pushed out over some stupid shit and now Texas Tech realizes that you can't just plug someone in and win 10 games. Leach is perfect for the high octane Big 12.

Leach can't go back to Tech. He's currently suing the University & told the former President, who still has major pull, to 17 off

Tbonewannabe
11-26-2018, 10:43 AM
Best coach they’ve ever had. Over two decades ago. You want to rehire JWS, much as we love him?

I guess it depends on what UNC wants out of Brown. Do they want someone to come in and steady the program and get it back on a solid foundation or do they want to compete for the ACC? If they are basically giving him the job to get back on solid footing then it probably isn't a horrible hire. I would have thought they could do better but they might just be happy to get back to bowl contention.

WeWonItAll(Most)
11-26-2018, 10:44 AM

That tweet is surely a joke.

Tbonewannabe
11-26-2018, 10:46 AM
Leach can't go back to Tech. He's currently suing the University & told the former President, who still has major pull, to 17 off

Sucks for Tech then. He basically was fired because big donors didn't like him. It will be interesting to see who they go after.

Irondawg
11-26-2018, 10:46 AM
I can't believe guys like Aranada and Thompson don't get more sniffs as potential head coaches. Maybe they don't want it or their personalities aren't the stuff of HC but they both have incredibly strong resumes.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2018, 10:48 AM
I can't believe guys like Aranada and Thompson don't get more sniffs as potential head coaches. Maybe they don't want it or their personalities aren't the stuff of HC but they both have incredibly strong resumes.

I don't understand the lack of interest in Aranda either.

It's almost like there is something wrong with him that isn't being reported.

The media has no issue pushing the narrative that he's a savant until head jobs come open. Then he disappears

DownwardDawg
11-26-2018, 10:49 AM
Houston Dale Nutt.........

BrunswickDawg
11-26-2018, 10:56 AM
I disagree. Hiring a good football coach is really hard & uncertain. If Mac can hire the right assistants, I think he can get them back to being an 8 win program, then retire in 5 years, & they give the next guy a wonderful launching point.

I think people are seeing that they want mature adults that can get the trains to run on time over the glitzy, sparkly up & coming offense guy. The Kingsburys, Fuentes, etc just haven't been great. Moorhead is still somewhat unknown

We've just entered into a new cycle of coach hiring. Herm, Miles, Brown. Lovie, etc

You may be right. And I sort of contradicted myself in pointing out Herm and Butch Davis doing OK. I just don't think Brown has it anymore though. He will possibly do fine if all they expect are 7-8 win seasons with an occasional 9-10 win season. The ACC is a meh conference where every team but 1 goes about 7-5/8-4 every year - and they all suck. If they expect him to develop into Clemson, or late 1990s UNC, they will be very disappointed.

parabrave
11-26-2018, 11:03 AM

They could hire Brown and some up and coming coach that Mac could tutor and then turn over the program to when he is ready.

Jack Lambert
11-26-2018, 11:17 AM
I think there are G 5 coaches out there that would be success at a P 5.

They might be G 5 but they win and win big every year. They are beating the teams in their league. They would do the same in a P 5. Coaching is coaching. If you are good then you are good. Hell even Saban first HC job was at what is a G 5 school. I think Toledo.

StarkVegasSteve
11-26-2018, 11:31 AM
Tech should take Mike Leach back in a heartbeat. I really think UNC is stupid for not taking a longer look at Seth Littrell. The last time their offense was worth a 17 he was the one calling the plays.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2018, 11:58 AM
I think there are G 5 coaches out there that would be success at a P 5.

They might be G 5 but they win and win big every year. They are beating the teams in their league. They would do the same in a P 5. Coaching is coaching. If you are good then you are good. Hell even Saban first HC job was at what is a G 5 school. I think Toledo.

Of course there are, but who are they?

Any G5 coach is way more risky than Brown.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2018, 12:00 PM
Clay Travis is pounding the table hard for Freeze to be Tennessee's OC

Imo, the SEC can't allow that to happen. With Tennessee's recruiting culture, Freeze there would be a disaster. The NCAA will be out to get Freeze and I doubt the SEC wants them snooping around Knoxville

msstate7
11-26-2018, 12:13 PM

Imo, the SEC can't allow that to happen. With Tennessee's recruiting culture, Freeze there would be a disaster. The NCAA will be out to get Freeze and I doubt the SEC wants them snooping around Knoxville

So if Pruitt gets freeze as his OC, you still say Pruitt has no idea what he's doing? That would be quite a hire

BrunswickDawg
11-26-2018, 12:16 PM

Well it fits in perfect with the Hugh Freeze myth - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2216102-good-guys-finish-first-the-hugh-freeze-story

They were alone together, driving through the summer twilight, aglow in the blush of love. It was July of 1992, and the bride and groom cruised away from the Baptist church in Independence, Miss., and into the first hours of their future, which now began on an endless expanse of road, rich with possibility.

What a couple they were, rolling through the backwoods of Mississippi and into the Tennessee Valley on their way to the Smoky Mountains of Gatlinburg, Tenn., where they would honeymoon. But Hugh Freeze, 22 and then a first-year assistant coach at Briarcrest Christian High in Memphis, had a surprise for his wife, Jill. He pulled off Interstate-40 at Knoxville and drove onto the University of Tennessee campus. He eased into the parking lot at Neyland Stadium. The gates were shackled, but husband and wife slipped through a small opening.

They walked into the empty stadium, the grandstands stretching up, up and up, seemingly to touch the basement of heaven. A whisper of wind feathering their cheeks, Hugh grabbed Jill's hand. They looked at each other, practically disappearing into each other's eyes. He had something to say, and it was almost as important as the vows he'd taken in the small white clapboard church topped with a steeple.

"I will be a head coach in the SEC one day," he said softly. "I will."

"I know," Jill replied. "I know."

In the growing darkness, the two kissed. And in this silent stadium, on this silent summer night, so began one of the most unlikely coaching journeys in college football history.

I think I'm gonna puke now.....

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-26-2018, 12:17 PM
This was funny...

https://i.postimg.cc/mgv50tKj/Screen-Shot-2018-11-26-at-11-15-53-AM.png

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2018, 01:34 PM
Something to watch for this off season: for the first time, Dabo's staff could get gutted.

He hasn't had to deal with nearly the same coaching turnover as Saban.

Choctaw Dawg
11-26-2018, 01:48 PM

Yeah, Leach and TT went through a really messy divorce and Leach does have a good cause for suing. Tech ****ed up firing him

BrunswickDawg
11-26-2018, 01:59 PM
Yeah, Leach and TT went through a really messy divorce and Leach does have a good cause for suing. Tech ****ed up firing him

Wasn't that the whole Craig James' kid debacle? I still think James was the cause of a lot of that mess. He did kill 5 hookers you know.****

Really Clark?
11-26-2018, 02:03 PM
Wasn't that the whole Craig James' kid debacle? I still think James was the cause of a lot of that mess. He did kill 5 hookers you know.****

That’s right, he was out with a concussion and was made to stay in an equipment shed for practice, allegedly

Johnson85
11-26-2018, 02:10 PM

I think it's just a math issue. Not everybody can get a coach without a blemish. For most schools, doing so requires dropping down a level, and even then, if enough people are going that route, you eventually end up having to hire a guy with two years of success at a G5 because they are getting plucked up before they have a chance to establish themselves.

Lots of coaches are good coaches but not good enough to avoid an occasional dip, and with today's culture, that means they're going to get fired. I still think Hud should be a viable head coaching candidate for a lot of schools. He was the most successful coach in ULL history. He may not be the next great, but I suspect if you can turn around a culture like that you can probably be a pretty good coach at a higher level too.

Jack Lambert
11-26-2018, 02:33 PM
Of course there are, but who are they?

Any G5 coach is way more risky than Brown.

Utah sTate coach
UAB coach
UCF current coach
Memphis coach

Lets not forget pretty boy down in Florida.

Lance Harbor
11-26-2018, 03:32 PM
If Mack Brown can recruit like he used to, he should be ok. Currently Clemson, Bama and UGA take whomever they want out of a talent rich state like NC. Brown has a Championship ring to show off too.

You may be right. And I sort of contradicted myself in pointing out Herm and Butch Davis doing OK. I just don't think Brown has it anymore though. He will possibly do fine if all they expect are 7-8 win seasons with an occasional 9-10 win season. The ACC is a meh conference where every team but 1 goes about 7-5/8-4 every year - and they all suck. If they expect him to develop into Clemson, or late 1990s UNC, they will be very disappointed.

Percho
11-26-2018, 03:47 PM

I would not listen to him if he had the only show. Just turn it off.

Percho
11-26-2018, 03:59 PM
Well it fits in perfect with the Hugh Freeze myth - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2216102-good-guys-finish-first-the-hugh-freeze-story

I think I'm gonna puke now.....

I just told my wife how Freeze isn't anything but a pile of crap. I read that to her and told her, that's why I will never watch Blindside. It's all a bunch of crap.

My family think I am crazy for not watching that crap.

LARS ANDERSON
OCTOBER 2, 2014

Needs to add a sequel to that story and put in the numbers from the black book err phone directory.

deltadawg99
11-26-2018, 04:23 PM
Something to watch for this off season: for the first time, Dabo's staff could get gutted.

He hasn't had to deal with nearly the same coaching turnover as Saban.

Dabo has a unique deal because a lot of his assistants are Clemson alumni, so they aren?t necessarily using it as a stepping stone. He also has one of the best DCs in the game that is content being a DC.

Pit Bull
11-26-2018, 04:26 PM
Heard Freeze is the leading candidate for the new professional women's football team.....The Mustang Ranch Cowgirls.

TrapGame
11-26-2018, 04:53 PM
Just some thoughts:

Freeze needs to rehab more imo. It's too soon.

If Shoop gets a HC gig I'd like to get App St.'s DC. He's supposed to be a sharp up and comer.

Really Clark?
11-26-2018, 05:05 PM
Just some thoughts:

Freeze needs to rehab more imo. It's too soon.

If Shoop gets a HC gig I'd like to get App St.'s DC. He's supposed to be a sharp up and comer.

Another message board melt over an OM coach, this time as DC with 1 year experience...that would just be awesome fun.

Cooterpoot
11-26-2018, 05:09 PM

I heard they went with Brown after not hearing back from Bear Bryant.

Commercecomet24
11-26-2018, 05:16 PM
I heard they went with Brown after not hearing back from Bear Bryant.

Hard to believe they hired Brown. The game had passed him by when he left texas. Must've been really desperate to make this move.

TrapGame
11-26-2018, 05:16 PM
Another message board melt over an OM coach, this time as DC with 1 year experience...that would just be awesome fun.

I had no idea he was om alum. But, he's got a damn good D up there.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2018/1/8/football-brown-promoted-to-defensive-coordinator.aspx

Really Clark?
11-26-2018, 05:19 PM
I had no idea he was om alum. But, he's got a damn good D up there.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2018/1/8/football-brown-promoted-to-defensive-coordinator.aspx

Yeah but we can’t tell if it is just piggybacking off of what Nate Woody installed over the years, he needs to have at least 3-4 years experience first before starting conversations for an SEC coordinator position

TrapGame
11-26-2018, 05:22 PM
Yeah but we can’t tell if it is just piggybacking off of what Nate Woody installed over the years, he needs to have at least 3-4 years experience first before starting conversations for an SEC coordinator position

That's a good point. That would be a huge Sirmon-like gamble.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2018, 05:25 PM
Gus bus?

https://twitter.com/Josh_Moon/status/1067165448792363008

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2018, 05:27 PM
Rumor is that Gundy may be headed to the Plains. I'd be thrilled if Auburn went air raid, Big 12 style

msstate7
11-26-2018, 05:28 PM
Gus bus?

Only way I'd do that is if I had bob stoops or someone on that level lined up. Dumb move imo

Commercecomet24
11-26-2018, 05:28 PM
Gus bus?

They are so much like unm it's not even funny.

Todd4State
11-26-2018, 05:48 PM
Rumor is that Gundy may be headed to the Plains. I'd be thrilled if Auburn went air raid, Big 12 style

I'm not sure why they would want Gus gone other than it's Auburn. But I can't see Gundy going there.

They are so much like unm it's not even funny.

Which is odd since they are the land grant institution.

BuckyIsAB****
11-26-2018, 06:27 PM
I dont think Shoop is going anywhere

MetEdDawg
11-26-2018, 06:30 PM
Only way I'd do that is if I had bob stoops or someone on that level lined up. Dumb move imo

I'm hearing it's Bob Stoops. I've got family in the know at Auburn and they have said Auburn has already talked to him and if the numbers get worked out Gus is gone.

msstate7
11-26-2018, 06:35 PM
I'm hearing it's Bob Stoops. I've got family in the know at Auburn and they have said Auburn has already talked to him and if the numbers get worked out Gus is gone.

Then you make that move. That would be an absolute grand slam.

ETA... if this actually happens, om would be fools to not can Luke immediately for gus

MetEdDawg
11-26-2018, 06:39 PM
Then you make that move. That would be an absolute grand slam

Yep. Totally agree. I would if it was Gundy too. I have to imagine Auburn has shaken that tree to gauge his interest.

But Stoops to me is the better fit. He would concern me greatly at Auburn.

Commercecomet24
11-26-2018, 06:44 PM
I'm not sure why they would want Gus gone other than it's Auburn. But I can't see Gundy going there.

Which is odd since they are the land grant institution.

It is odd but every auburn person I've ever known has that unm attitude.

dawgday166
11-26-2018, 07:01 PM

IDK, it's not really news to me that Shoop would accept a head job. I think it's bigger news that he would probably have to be offered a head job to leave & isn't leaving for another DC job.

Y'all do realize that a lot of Bo's talking points come from this board don't you? That's probably where he got this talking point. I believe the first place I read it was here. Where is everyone getting the rumors about Shoop and UMass or other HC jobs?

Not saying Shoop won't leave but he has it made here as a DC.

He gets to coach elite talent. Joe only has to win 8 or 9 a year with an occasional 10 to 11 win season thrown in, to be here forever. Joe also gave him a second chance and apparently is a great guy to work for/with. And Joe lets him just run the D as he wants to.

Can someone convince why he would take a HC job that isn't a big step up in pay, like say the AU job if they wanted him, or the OSU job if Meyer left, or some other P5 job?

Cooterpoot
11-26-2018, 07:18 PM
Bob Stoops is a has been. AU is chasing fools gold because of AL.

msstate7
11-26-2018, 07:22 PM
Bob Stoops is a has been. AU is chasing fools gold because of AL.

LMAO... stoops was 22-4 his last 2 years and left a playoff team to Riley. He won 11 three of his last 4 years. Stoops is an elite coach. He's only 58 years old

Cooterpoot
11-26-2018, 07:27 PM
Stoops was encouraged to leave. And AU isn’t OK. Let Stoops go there where he has to play competitiion. I bet he won’t though. He knows.

msbulldog
11-26-2018, 07:27 PM
- Looks like Tony Hughes will wait till after the new year to go to work.

Damn Gun, anything Bounds says is just click Bait!! He spends 3 hours in the morning trying to stir shit, while he's drinking and talking about drinking! He cannot even remember what he talked about yesterday!

Mobile Bay
11-26-2018, 07:28 PM
Before y'all get too excited. Josh Moon has been a bomb throwing troll of a "journalist" around Montgomery for years, and run off from every job he has had. He is currently reporting for a very bad fake news outlet called alreporter.

So I wouldn't take this as anything is happening to Gus other than one booster he knows doesn't like him.

Cooterpoot
11-26-2018, 07:30 PM
AU will have to pay $30M or so to Gus after 1 year of a renewal. No big time coachbis goingvto take that without a similar sweetheart deal and that would tie up about $70M.

msstate7
11-26-2018, 07:35 PM
Stoops was encouraged to leave. And AU isn’t OK. Let Stoops go there where he has to play competitiion. I bet he won’t though. He knows.

This site has become comical. Stoops is 190-48 with a natty, 11 bcs/playoff bowls, and 10 big 12 championships, but now he is garbage and was asked to leave. Jimbo sucks. Every coach that comes into the sec is garbage

Commercecomet24
11-26-2018, 07:45 PM
AU will have to pay $30M or so to Gus after 1 year of a renewal. No big time coachbis goingvto take that without a similar sweetheart deal and that would tie up about $70M.

Yeah I think the moneys to great a mountain to climb even for cheaters like them. They may just be crazy enough to do it though. I can't see it happening this year though.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2018, 07:52 PM
What if Gus just says 17 it and goes to Texas Tech?

Really Clark?
11-26-2018, 08:14 PM
What if Gus just says 17 it and goes to Texas Tech?

Tubs Part II

TUSK
11-26-2018, 08:16 PM
Gus bus?

This^ reminds me of this\/

annnnnnnnnnnd BUMP: https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?70305-Auburn-quot-Not-Concerned-quot-About-Gus-38-mil-Buyout&highlight=auburn+buyout+tusk

BrunswickDawg
11-26-2018, 08:24 PM
This site has become comical. Stoops is 190-48 with a natty, 11 bcs/playoff bowls, and 10 big 12 championships, but now he is garbage and was asked to leave. Jimbo sucks. Every coach that comes into the sec is garbage

How is that any different than any team that beats us is garbage?

msstate7
11-26-2018, 08:26 PM
How is that any different than any team that beats us is garbage?

Did I call LSU or bama garbage? "Garbage" was obviously the incorrect word for Kentucky and Florida, but we are better than both. I still consider both losses garbage, but I was clearly wrong to call Kentucky and Florida garbage

DownwardDawg
11-26-2018, 08:29 PM
So if Pruitt gets freeze as his OC, you still say Pruitt has no idea what he's doing? That would be quite a hire

Dude, I don?t get it. Freeze sucks ass as a coach. His offense will be very average without buying the best players in America. I?ll never understand the love for Freezes. When allowed to cheat, he was awesome!!! Imagine how awesome Mullins would have been if he were buying the best players.

DownwardDawg
11-26-2018, 08:36 PM
Then you make that move. That would be an absolute grand slam.

ETA... if this actually happens, om would be fools to not can Luke immediately for gus

Imagine ole miss with Gus as head coach with ole miss talent. Of course, he probably would have better options.

BrunswickDawg
11-26-2018, 08:37 PM
Did I call LSU or bama garbage? "Garbage" was obviously the incorrect word for Kentucky and Florida, but we are better than both. I still consider both losses garbage, but I was clearly wrong to call Kentucky and Florida garbage

And I don't know that anyone has said Jimbo sucks. They have claimed that he may not be what he was - evidence being 2017 FSU and the roster he left - and that he may not do any better than anyone else has at A&M.

I think Stoops would be a homerun hire - but - Auburn has become comically unstable from a program standpoint because Yella Wood and their gang of boosters can't stand not meddling in the program. Could Stoops overcome that and win? Maybe. But the odds are just as good that 6 years from now "Auburn rumored to be buying out Stoops" is the headline as they scheme to hire the next "sure thing" coach.

msstate7
11-26-2018, 08:37 PM
Imagine ole miss with Gus as head coach with ole miss talent. Of course, he probably would have better options.

It's a bad option for Gus, but a great option for OM.

msstate7
11-26-2018, 08:42 PM
And I don't know that anyone has said Jimbo sucks. They have claimed that he may not be what he was - evidence being 2017 FSU and the roster he left - and that he may not do any better than anyone else has at A&M.

I think Stoops would be a homerun hire - but - Auburn has become comically unstable from a program standpoint because Yella Wood and their gang of boosters can't stand not meddling in the program. Could Stoops overcome that and win? Maybe. But the odds are just as good that 6 years from now "Auburn rumored to be buying out Stoops" is the headline as they scheme to hire the next "sure thing" coach.

We all (auburn fans esp) seem to remember the down years like this one, but since 2010, auburn has played for 2 natties (won 1), won sec twice, won west 3 times, and been in 2 NY6 bowls. You can win there, and stoops is a winner

BrunswickDawg
11-26-2018, 08:50 PM
We all (auburn fans esp) seem to remember the down years like this one, but since 2010, auburn has played for 2 natties (won 1), won sec twice, won west 3 times, and been in 2 NY6 bowls. You can win there, and stoops is a winner

Did I say he couldn't win there? Hell, Cheesdick won there. But, that viper pit of booster base will run you out of town for 8 win seasons. I don't think Stoops is the type to want that type of headache. And they can't not meddle.

Dawgfan77
11-27-2018, 08:33 AM
I?m currently in OKC. I?ll do some checking this week on both stoops and gundy. If I?m Gus I take the TT job and land Tate

Johnson85
11-27-2018, 10:33 AM
Hard to believe they hired Brown. The game had passed him by when he left texas. Must've been really desperate to make this move.

I don't know. I thought Brown was pretty mediocre at Texas and that he was underachieving considering all the advantages he had, but now I'm thinking Texas has such a bad culture that maybe I was wrong. I think that'd be a pretty good hire except that he's 67. Even if it's a good hire, how long is he going to be coaching? But I guess if they made a good hire with an up and comer, they might leave in a few years anyway to a higher profile job where they don't have to be second fiddle to basketball.

was21
11-27-2018, 10:49 AM
Brown won't be head coach for long. The plan is to have him move up to AD and Chizik to take over as HC

Johnson85
11-27-2018, 12:16 PM
Brown won't be head coach for long. The plan is to have him move up to AD and Chizik to take over as HC

That is something I don't understand at all. Chizik had no success at Iowa State. Then came to Auburn strictly to look the otherway and other than Cam's year, did pretty poorly, and hasn't done anything since then to think he deserves another chance. You're basically hiring him based on his performance as a DC more than a decade ago? Just weird.

Really Clark?
11-27-2018, 12:25 PM
That is something I don't understand at all. Chizik had no success at Iowa State. Then came to Auburn strictly to look the otherway and other than Cam's year, did pretty poorly, and hasn't done anything since then to think he deserves another chance. You're basically hiring him based on his performance as a DC more than a decade ago? Just weird.

He was UNC’s DC for 2015-16

Johnson85
11-27-2018, 12:36 PM
He was UNC’s DC for 2015-16

Had no clue. That makes more sense. And they showed a good bit of improvement over those two years although they still weren't great.

Cooterpoot
11-27-2018, 12:38 PM
Chizik is the defensive version of Larry Fedora. He's a snake oil guy too.

Really Clark?
11-27-2018, 12:44 PM
Had no clue. That makes more sense. And they showed a good bit of improvement over those two years although they still weren't great.

They did... whatever else he is a pretty capable DC still

ShotgunDawg
11-27-2018, 02:42 PM
Auburn is run like an NHL hockey team

https://twitter.com/bmarcello/status/1067503503931830273

TUSK
11-27-2018, 04:29 PM
My best guess is that the "powers that be" are gonna try to run him off and (in the process) mitigate the buyout some...

He'll find a better work environment, get a huge check from AU, and AU will hire the next ~$8M coach....

Johnson85
11-27-2018, 05:00 PM
My best guess is that the "powers that be" are gonna try to run him off and (in the process) mitigate the buyout some...

He'll find a better work environment, get a huge check from AU, and AU will hire the next ~$8M coach....

I don't understand what the hell they're trying to accomplish or what Gus would agree to. They could have gone to Gus on teh downlow and told him that if he'll get his agent pounding on doors and get him an offer, they'll pay half his buyout amount even though he is "voluntarily" leaving. They could have gone to him quietly and offered him more money for assistants in exchange for reducing their ultimate exposure to buyouts (so say, an extra $1.5M for coaches salary if their exposure to buyouts after next year drops by $2.5M).

Publicizing this just ensures that Gus can't recruit and also prevents him from upgrading his staff. And why the hell would he agree to anything after this? I'd just hunker down and get ready for the buyout at this point. I guses maybe they think if they undercut him enough and make it miserable enough, he'll just leave? Seems incredibly unlikely to me.

TUSK
11-27-2018, 06:23 PM
I don't understand what the hell they're trying to accomplish or what Gus would agree to.

A: They could have gone to Gus on teh downlow and told him that if he'll get his agent pounding on doors and get him an offer, they'll pay half his buyout amount even though he is "voluntarily" leaving. They could have gone to him quietly and offered him more money for assistants in exchange for reducing their ultimate exposure to buyouts (so say, an extra $1.5M for coaches salary if their exposure to buyouts after next year drops by $2.5M).

B: Publicizing this just ensures that Gus can't recruit and also prevents him from upgrading his staff. And why the hell would he agree to anything after this? I'd just hunker down and get ready for the buyout at this point. I guses maybe they think if they undercut him enough and make it miserable enough, he'll just leave? Seems incredibly unlikely to me.

They goin' with B. I've no idea if they even attempted A.

Remember, the group of peeps runnin' this show is the same one that Jimmy Sexton extorted for almost $50M ~365 days ago..

Sexton: "Hey, Aubie... Yeah, he just beat #1 UGA and #1 Bama... We're gonna need Fitty Mil guaranteed before the SECCG... thanks.

BrunswickDawg
11-27-2018, 07:28 PM
They goin' with B. I've no idea if they even attempted A.

Remember, the group of peeps runnin' this show is the same one that Jimmy Sexton extorted for almost $50M ~365 days ago..

Sexton: "Hey, Aubie... Yeah, he just beat #1 UGA and #1 Bama... We're gonna need Fitty Mil guaranteed before the SECCG... thanks.

And Barners used to bitch about how terrible Jay Jacobs was as AD.

University President Leath said "Hold my beer, I'll give you something to bitch about...."

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2018, 02:14 PM
Paul Johnson retiring at GT.

Say your Gus Bus, don't you just give Auburn the middle finger and go to GT, who generally has an offense already set up for you personnel wise, easier conference, and you'd be recruiting the same territory you already do at Auburn.

GT is a solid job. You can win there in that league.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2018, 02:22 PM
Jake Spavital gets the Texas State job. So Longo is a no go...

https://twitter.com/footballscoop/status/1067860096812793856?s=21

BrunswickDawg
11-28-2018, 02:28 PM

Say your Gus Bus, don't you just give Auburn the middle finger and go to GT, who generally has an offense already set up for you personnel wise, easier conference, and you'd be recruiting the same territory you already do at Auburn.

Just texting with my uncle - former Tech player. He's really disappointed. Johnson is a real personable guy away from the game. CPJ can win, and has been top 2 in that division 7 of 11 seasons, that offense just isn't sexy enough for some people.

Tech is one of the most stable jobs in the country. I bet they get some surprising candidates.

MetEdDawg
11-28-2018, 02:29 PM
Auburn may mitigate the buyout and guarantee Gus a full year.

"Hey, if you let us restructure your buyout, we will guarantee employment as head football coach for the next year. If you don't we will pay you to go away. So if you want to be the HC at Auburn and prove yourself here, you will take this. If not, you are gone".

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2018, 02:29 PM
https://twitter.com/aj_donwilliams/status/1067849342919352322?s=21

msstate7
11-28-2018, 02:32 PM
Auburn may mitigate the buyout and guarantee Gus a full year.

"Hey, if you let us restructure your buyout, we will guarantee employment as head football coach for the next year. If you don't we will pay you to go away. So if you want to be the HC at Auburn and prove yourself here, you will take this. If not, you are gone".

Gus is a moron if he agrees to that

TrapGame
11-28-2018, 02:32 PM
Is Matt Wells air raid?

msstate7
11-28-2018, 02:35 PM
Georgia tech, you should go get clawson from Wake.

bulldawg28
11-28-2018, 06:35 PM

This would be a homerun move for both parties imo.

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2018, 02:04 PM
Don't be surprised to see Getsy's name come up here. Played QB there under Moorhead

https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/1069300902773907460?s=21

Jack Lambert
12-02-2018, 02:09 PM
KSU coach gone?

Really Clark?
12-02-2018, 02:11 PM
KSU coach gone?

Yes, Snyder is retiring

maroonmania
12-02-2018, 02:48 PM
Yes, Snyder is retiring

How many times has he retired? 3 or 4?

Really Clark?
12-02-2018, 02:53 PM
How many times has he retired? 3 or 4?

This is his second

Todd4State
12-02-2018, 02:59 PM
Apparently they have law enforcement at the K-State football facility. I know Snyder wants his son to be the next coach. I've heard that they are going after Seth Littrell though.

defiantdog
12-02-2018, 04:00 PM
I can't believe no one jumped on Bill Clark

Dawgfan77
12-02-2018, 04:47 PM
I can't believe no one jumped on Bill Clark
Well... some teams wait til tomorrow to make some moves. Some don?t. Monday is typically bloody Monday. Also should see some asst coaches move this week

Todd4State
12-02-2018, 05:01 PM
Well... some teams wait til tomorrow to make some moves. Some don?t. Monday is typically bloody Monday. Also should see some asst coaches move this week

Some don't....you mean like Dan Mullen?

Dawgfan77
12-02-2018, 05:06 PM
No I mean some make decisions and fire after the conference championship game and some pick off candidates from other schools.