PDA

View Full Version : Apathy towards CFP

Activated Alpha
11-25-2018, 09:31 AM
When does national apathy towards the CFP make the NCAA realize that they need a bigger playoff? Other than ND this year, the same teams basically have the only shot at a national championship. My wolverines blew their shot, which I'm still salty about, but Ohio State and OK have an outside shot at entering it. How long do you think it will be before we see an 8 team playoff? How many teams in the playoff would you be comfortable with? Just tired of seeing the same teams over and over again.

ETA: I didn't see the other posts and poll regarding the CFP so if someone wants to combine these, that'd be fine.

kojak
11-25-2018, 11:40 AM
It?ll take about 6 more years unfortunately

Dawgology
11-25-2018, 01:08 PM
Honestly it seems to have started. No parity. Same 5-8 schools every year. Blah.

Dawgfan77
11-25-2018, 01:13 PM
It needs to be 8 or 16. Realistically it needs to be 8. Five conference winners plus ND when they qualify and 2 at large bids. 16 would be great for us right now We are hot and like the NCAA tournament we could get a Clemson matchup in round one and possibly make it to the quarterfinals. Besides Bama does any of the top four scare you?

TUSK
11-25-2018, 01:41 PM
If they really wanted to blow the thing up, and be more inclusive, just go to 16, give FBS Champs an auto bid, 6 At large bids and seed em...

Based on the current AP Poll (real time), the 2018 CFP would look like this:

1 Bama SEC
16 App St. Sunbelt

8 Michigan At Large
9 Texas At Large

4 UGA At Large
13 UAB CUSA

5 Okie Big 12
12 PSU At Large

2 Clemson ACC
15 Boise St. MWC

7 UCF AAC
10 UF At Large

3 ND At Large
14 Buffalo MAC

6 Ohio St. B1G
11 UW PAC

dawgday166
11-25-2018, 01:44 PM
If they really wanted to blow the thing up, and be more inclusive, just go to 16, give FBS Champs an auto bid, 6 At large bids and seed em...

1 Bama SEC
16 App St. Sunbelt

8 Michigan At Large
9 Texas At Large

4 UGA At Large
13 UAB CUSA

5 Okie Big 12
12 PSU At Large

2 Clemson ACC
15 Boise St. MWC

7 UCF AAC
10 UF At Large

3 ND At Large
14 Buffalo MAC

6 Ohio St. B1G
11 UW PAC

Where are we at? We better than all those teams dude.

ETA: Put us at #16. We smack Bama good (might be little tussle tho), then the rest are cake.

TUSK
11-25-2018, 01:50 PM
Where are we at? We better than all those teams dude.

ETA: Put us at #16. We smack Bama good (might be little tussle tho), then the rest are cake.

I definitely think y'all and LSU should get consideration... no doubt. But when the Conference Champs get Automatic Bids, better teams will get squeezed out... And I used the AP Poll... I'll re-seed it when the CFP Rankings come out...

dawgday166
11-25-2018, 01:51 PM
I definitely think y'all and LSU should get consideration... no doubt. But when the Conference Champs get Automatic Bids, better teams will get squeezed out... And I used the AP Poll... I'll re-seed it when the CFP Rankings come out...

Does "eye test" only work for Bama then? **

BeastMan
11-25-2018, 01:54 PM

The MAC and CUSA wouldn’t be getting automatic bids. No way

TUSK
11-25-2018, 01:55 PM
Does "eye test" only work for Bama then? **

No, but it sure is an easy test (re: Bama)....

BuckyIsAB****
11-25-2018, 02:26 PM
It needs to be 8 or 16. Realistically it needs to be 8. Five conference winners plus ND when they qualify and 2 at large bids. 16 would be great for us right now We are hot and like the NCAA tournament we could get a Clemson matchup in round one and possibly make it to the quarterfinals. Besides Bama does any of the top four scare you?

What in the hell should make ND an auto qualifier? They get to pick their weak schedule every single year bc they are too uppity to join a conference and when they finally play a good team they get beat like a red headed step child.

ND is the most overrated program in the country along with Michigan

TUSK
11-25-2018, 02:32 PM
What in the hell should make ND an auto qualifier? They get to pick their weak schedule every single year bc they are too uppity to join a conference and when they finally play a good team they get beat like a red headed step child.

I think they should get lumped in with the ACC... they already play an ACC slate....

Coursesuper
11-25-2018, 03:51 PM

1 Bama SEC
16 App St. Sunbelt

8 Michigan At Large
9 Texas At Large

4 UGA At Large
13 UAB CUSA

5 Okie Big 12
12 PSU At Large

2 Clemson ACC
15 Boise St. MWC

7 UCF AAC
10 UF At Large

3 ND At Large
14 Buffalo MAC

6 Ohio St. B1G
11 UW PAC

No, keep the committee let them put the top Sixteen together and the pair them up on neutral fields and go at it.

Activated Alpha
11-25-2018, 03:59 PM

Hey leave my Wolverines out if this. Michigan hasn't sniffed the playoffs since it started

BuckyIsAB****
11-25-2018, 04:42 PM

1 Bama SEC
16 App St. Sunbelt

8 Michigan At Large
9 Texas At Large

4 UGA At Large
13 UAB CUSA

5 Okie Big 12
12 PSU At Large

2 Clemson ACC
15 Boise St. MWC

7 UCF AAC
10 UF At Large

3 ND At Large
14 Buffalo MAC

6 Ohio St. B1G
11 UW PAC

App St, Boise, UAB and Buffalo are in no way 4 of the best 16 teams in college football.

TUSK
11-25-2018, 05:21 PM
App St, Boise, UAB and Buffalo are in no way 4 of the best 16 teams in college football.

Hell, their prolly not in the top 25 - 30.... For this hypothetical, all FBS Conference Champs get automatic bids...

Quaoarsking
11-25-2018, 05:36 PM

You're definitely right, and I don't really advocate this system (8 should be plenty), but every NCAA sport (including the lower levels of football) take all conference champions, including those who are clearly nowhere near the top N teams in the country, and it's rarely if ever a problem in the end.

Hell, if 11-2 Buffalo knocked won at Notre Dame, won at Ohio State, and then beat Clemson and Alabama at neutral sites to finish 15-2, would anyone begrudge them the national championship?

BrunswickDawg
11-25-2018, 05:56 PM
You're definitely right, and I don't really advocate this system (8 should be plenty), but every NCAA sport (including the lower levels of football) take all conference champions, including those who are clearly nowhere near the top N teams in the country, and it's rarely if ever a problem in the end.

Hell, if 11-2 Buffalo knocked won at Notre Dame, won at Ohio State, and then beat Clemson and Alabama at neutral sites to finish 15-2, would anyone begrudge them the national championship?

Why should 8 be plenty? Why doesn't the NCAA do it like they do all their other football championships? 24 teams. Top 8 seeds get a first round bye. That would give you auto bids for all 10 conferences and you go with an RPI type formula to get your seeds and award your 14 at large bids. You could even keep the bowl system somewhat intact by awarding the 23 needed playoff games to bowls that bid and rotate them thru like we do the NY6 now. Wouldn't the first round playoff game in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium do better with Penn State vs. Syracuse instead of 2 6-6 teams from the AAC and Conference USA.

Force teams into conferences, drop the conference championship games, keep the number of bowls (23 of the 40 every year are in the playoff rotation), and get the drama of March Madness. And best of all - more football for most of us!

Activated Alpha
11-25-2018, 06:15 PM
Why should 8 be plenty? Why doesn't the NCAA do it like they do all their other football championships? 24 teams. Top 8 seeds get a first round bye. That would give you auto bids for all 10 conferences and you go with an RPI type formula to get your seeds and award your 14 at large bids. You could even keep the bowl system somewhat intact by awarding the 23 needed playoff games to bowls that bid and rotate them thru like we do the NY6 now. Wouldn't the first round playoff game in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium do better with Penn State vs. Syracuse instead of 2 6-6 teams from the AAC and Conference USA.

Force teams into conferences, drop the conference championship games, keep the number of bowls (23 of the 40 every year are in the playoff rotation), and get the drama of March Madness. And best of all - more football for most of us!

Don't forget about the marketability of something like that. A playoff marketed like March Madness is would make a lot of money.

Political Hack
11-25-2018, 06:39 PM
P5 automatic bids. 3 at large bids. 8 teams. That's it unless they get rid of the conference championship game and go back to an 11 game schedule. Otherwise Bama would be playing 17 games a season.

Jack Lambert
11-25-2018, 10:31 PM
Honestly it seems to have started. No parity. Same 5-8 schools every year. Blah.

I think Conference championship should be a requirement. I use to not to but it would take some of subjective out of the hands of the CFP committee. Bama would not have been there last season.

If you are not good enough to win your conference then you should not be good enough to be in the Play Off and if you don't like it because you are in a tough conference go to another one.

I also think All FCS games on your schedule should be played in the first three weeks of the season and all g 5 schools on your schedule should be played withing the first six weeks. If you can't work them in then either find a p 5 school or only play 11 games.

TimberBeast
11-25-2018, 10:36 PM
I think Conference championship should be a requirement. I use to not to but it would take some of subjective out of the hands of the CFP committee. Bama would not have been there last season.

If you are not good enough to win your conference then you should not be good enough to be in the Play Off and if you don't like it because you are in a tough conference go to another one.

I also think All FCS games on your schedule should be played in the first three weeks of the season and all g 5 schools on your schedule should be played withing the first six weeks. If you can't work them in then either find a p 5 school or only play 11 games.

You don’t think the national champion should have been in the national championship game?

TUSK
11-25-2018, 10:50 PM
You don’t think the national champion should have been in the national championship game?

Lots of peeps have this sentiment... Some did in 2011, too...