PDA

View Full Version : People here will blame shotgun and LSU for us ending up in Memphis but the truth is

Saltydog
11-25-2018, 12:38 AM
it's on Moorhead. No effing reason in the world we should've been in this position to begin with. Regardless of what bowl we end up in, 4th in the West is laughable for a team with our talent.

mparkerfd20
11-25-2018, 12:40 AM
The truth is in Birmingham. Refs screw everyone one last time.

MetEdDawg
11-25-2018, 12:41 AM
it's on Moorhead. No effing reason in the world we should've been in this position to begin with. Regardless of what bowl we end up in, 4th in the West is laughable for a team with our talent.

If we don't end up in Memphis will you quit the board?

MarketingBully
11-25-2018, 12:41 AM
The truth is in Birmingham. Refs screw everyone one last time.

The SEC screwed themselves because they cost us a NY6 bowl for LSU.

Saltydog
11-25-2018, 12:42 AM
this position to start with, so that dog won't hunt either.

Turfdawg67

I second this and take 7 & 99 with you.

msstate7

If we do, will you?

(Ducks out... I have no idea where we go)

MetEdDawg
11-25-2018, 12:43 AM
If we do, will you?

(Ducks out... I have no idea where we go)

Done. There's zero chance we end up in Memphis so I'm fine with this bet.

Guess we fade into oblivion??? Not really sure...

Liverpooldawg
11-25-2018, 12:44 AM
Again, recruiting season is here. You can do what you want, but to me if you have MSU's best interest at heart, give it a rest. It seems this is the current mantra since the "Mullen to Slippry Rock" narrative not longer works.

99jc
11-25-2018, 12:46 AM
I second this and take 7 & 99 with you.

your a 17ing fool if you think this team should be 8-4.

KOdawg1
11-25-2018, 12:47 AM
As frustrating as this is now that the egg bowl win has worn off slightly, there isn't shit anyone can do to change it. Yes this season could've been a great season. It was still pretty good.

Quit bitching because it does no good whatsoever. Look foward and let's move ahead together.

MarketingBully
11-25-2018, 12:49 AM
Man now you guys are bitching to bitch. We just beat the shit out of Ole Miss but A&M beats LSU and you guys are all miserable shits. Please do us a favor and go to ****ing bed. Sleep it off. Do something other then making this board miserable.

dawgday166
11-25-2018, 12:51 AM
Again, recruiting season is here. You can do what you want, but to me if you have MSU's best interest at heart, give it a rest. It seems this is the current mantra since the "Mullen to Slippry Rock" narrative not longer works.

So I'm agreeing with you which is kinda rare.

But I sho would love to play any of the Top 10 right now and yes ... that's includes Bama. Not sure our O is quite confident enough yet for Bama, but they might surprise you on that one. Only way we lose bowl game is have an O performance like we've had in our losses or ... all our D studs going pro are making sure they healthy to do so. Either of those could happen I guess.

ETA: And poor ole ND ... what we would do to them is criminal.

Liverpooldawg

It took you two days to revert to form........I'm surprised it took that long. Hampton's Legion, Washington Artillery, Crescent Regiment, Bloody 6th, University Greys, or State Teoops?

Todd4State
As frustrating as this is now that the egg bowl win has worn off slightly, there isn't shit anyone can do to change it. Yes this season could've been a great season. It was still pretty good.

Quit bitching because it does no good whatsoever. Look foward and let's move ahead together.

As I said yesterday what we did this year is essentially have the same type of season we had in 2010 if we win our bowl game. Maybe better because Auburn and Texas A&M were better wins than we had in 2010. And 2010 was probably Dan's best or second best season that he had at MSU.

It's great that 10 years ago all we wanted to do was win the Egg Bowl and Liberty Bowl in the same season and now the Liberty isn't good enough.

cheewgumm
11-25-2018, 12:52 AM
Hahahah

Liverpooldawg
Man now you guys are bitching to bitch. We just beat the shit out of Ole Miss but A&M beats LSU and you guys are all miserable shits. Please do us a favor and go to ****ing bed. Sleep it off. Do something other then making this board miserable.

Slow clap....yes.

Goldendawg
"Can't we just all get along?" (Rodney King)****

Bubb Rubb
11-25-2018, 12:54 AM
Done. There's zero chance we end up in Memphis so I'm fine with this bet.

Guess we fade into oblivion??? Not really sure...

Zero chance? Really?

DancingRabbit
11-25-2018, 12:56 AM

Seriously ... we combine threads all the time. Just pin one beating the dead horse post at the top. Put all the new ones there and we'll all know where to go find them.

KOdawg1
11-25-2018, 12:56 AM
As I said yesterday what we did this year is essentially have the same type of season we had in 2010 if we win our bowl game. Maybe better because Auburn and Texas A&M were better wins than we had in 2010. And 2010 was probably Dan's best or second best season that he had at MSU.

It's great that 10 years ago all we wanted to do was win the Egg Bowl and Liberty Bowl in the same season and now the Liberty isn't good enough.

Exactly. Expectations are growing. Which is what we all wanted right? 13 years ago, every single one of you would've killed for us to be consistently 8-4 and going to bowl games every year. Now it's a disappointment. Which is fine.

This staff is showing that they're willing to work hard to recruit which was the one thing missing with Dan, so let's see if they can get us to take another step foward as a program. Just give them some time.

Todd4State
11-25-2018, 12:57 AM

You're a ****ing fool if you think our players on offense were as special as our players on defense. The real blame should go to the guys that recruited the players on offense. We paid the piper with that this year. And until we build up our offensive talent to the point where it's as special as our defensive talent we won't be better than 8-4.

MetEdDawg
11-25-2018, 01:01 AM
You're a ****ing fool if you think our players on offense were as special as our players on defense. The real blame should go to the guys that recruited the players on offense. We paid the piper with that this year. And until we build up our offensive talent to the point where it's as special as our defensive talent we won't be better than 8-4.

People don't want to hear this. It doesn't fit the narrative. Go look at the star ratings of our defensive starters, then come back and look at the star ratings of the offense. People think that doesn't matter, but then go on the recruiting board and bitch about us not closing on guys. It either matters or it doesn't. Clearly it matters.

Todd4State
11-25-2018, 01:04 AM
Exactly. Expectations are growing. Which is what we all wanted right? 13 years ago, every single one of you would've killed for us to be consistently 8-4 and going to bowl games every year. Now it's a disappointment. Which is fine.

This staff is showing that they're willing to work hard to recruit which was the one thing missing with Dan, so let's see if they can get us to take another step foward as a program. Just give them some time.

I agree. I'm very encouraged with the recruiting this year. We'll see how things look in February- but it seems like we are addressing needs better. People forget that two years ago with Sirmon the defense was in a similar or worse spot- with some talented freshmen and sophomores like Simmons, Leo, Peters, and McLaurin and some glaring holes. We added in some JUCO players and fixed the holes and turned things around pretty quickly. We're doing or are trying to do the same on offense with Walker at RB and Payton at WR plus trying to get Kelly Bryant or another grad transfer in to go along with Guidry, Kylin, and etc.

The thing is our players only struggled against really good SEC defenses- which is the same thing that they had done their entire careers even under Dan. Unfortunately for us Kentucky had a dream season this year and made us their Super Bowl on the road before we gelled. Every team we lost to won 9 games this year- and three of those were on the road. The other one basically took a trick play to beat us.

RezDog7
11-25-2018, 01:04 AM

You're a douche canoe

cheewgumm
11-25-2018, 01:06 AM
Expectations won?t be as high next year, I don?t think.

Todd4State
11-25-2018, 01:07 AM
People don't want to hear this. It doesn't fit the narrative. Go look at the star ratings of our defensive starters, then come back and look at the star ratings of the offense. People think that doesn't matter, but then go on the recruiting board and bitch about us not closing on guys. It either matters or it doesn't. Clearly it matters.

I guess some people are afraid that they are wrong about three years ago and Dan's method or they are afraid that people like me are going to complain about it five years from now. (I promise I won't for the record)

I've always felt like the whole "stars don't matter" thing was just to make people feel better about things at the time. Unfortunately it's impossible to find 20 Benardrick McKinney's and Jonathan Banks in a recruiting class.

KOdawg1
11-25-2018, 01:08 AM
The thing is our players only struggled against really good SEC defenses- which is the same thing that they had done their entire careers even under Dan. Unfortunately for us Kentucky had a dream season this year and made us their Super Bowl on the road before we gelled. Every team we lost to won 9 games this year- and three of those were on the road. The other one basically took a trick play to beat us.

I can't wait for UK to come to Starkville next year. I expect our guys to get payback for that one.

It sucks it'll be awhile before we get another crack at UF, but it is what it is.

KOdawg1
11-25-2018, 01:10 AM

I see no reason why we can't go 8-4 next year. Our schedule is easier. Really just boils down to the QB situation and if the defense can avoid taking a monsterous step back. They'll take a step back, but the potential is still there to be pretty good.

Lance Harbor
11-25-2018, 01:10 AM
Sadly, this is correct. That doesn't mean that Moorhead can't take the program higher than the previous regime. But the Jeckly and Hyde offense of 2018 will always be a headscratcher.

Todd4State
11-25-2018, 01:11 AM

Of course they won't. Our fans have convinced themselves that the defense will not be all that good next year and that it's a year where the best we can go is 6-6 because of the schedule- despite the fact that the past two times we've had the 2019 schedule rotation we won 8 games and probably should have won 9 had Dan had his head out of his ass.

But if we do win 8 games our fans may not be as upset.

dawgday166
11-25-2018, 01:12 AM
Sadly, this is correct. That doesn't mean that Moorhead can't take the program higher than the previous regime. But the Jeckly and Hyde offense of 2018 will always be a headscratcher.

Good post and accurate IMO.

Liverpooldawg
11-25-2018, 01:13 AM

Look away, look away........cotton and all that.

msstate7
11-25-2018, 01:14 AM
Of course they won't. Our fans have convinced themselves that the defense will not be all that good next year and that it's a year where the best we can go is 6-6 because of the schedule- despite the fact that the past two times we've had the 2019 schedule rotation we won 8 games and probably should have won 9 had Dan had his head out of his ass.

But if we do win 8 games our fans may not be as upset.

You think our defense can be as good next season?

MarketingBully
11-25-2018, 01:14 AM
Hey if you want to be pissed at someone. Be pissed at Dan in 2014 when we had a generational QB and all we could do was get to an NY6 bowl and lost to a very down Alabama who had Blake ****ing Sims as their QB and we lost to an Ole Miss team that had a one armed Bo Wallace.

Turfdawg67
11-25-2018, 01:15 AM
I agree. I'm very encouraged with the recruiting this year. We'll see how things look in February- but it seems like we are addressing needs better. People forget that two years ago with Sirmon the defense was in a similar or worse spot- with some talented freshmen and sophomores like Simmons, Leo, Peters, and McLaurin and some glaring holes. We added in some JUCO players and fixed the holes and turned things around pretty quickly. We're doing or are trying to do the same on offense with Walker at RB and Payton at WR plus trying to get Kelly Bryant or another grad transfer in to go along with Guidry, Kylin, and etc.

Besides it being their Super Bowl, the KY game was Joe trying to make his offense work and Fitz choosing the P option in the RPO's... in the rain. Our RBs had like 13 carries total!

Not only did the trick play work, Mitchell dropped an easy TD pass and Gay dropped an easy Pick 6. We'd destroy both teams tomorrow.

Turfdawg67
11-25-2018, 01:16 AM
Hey if you want to be pissed at someone. Be pissed at Dan in 2014 when we had a generational QB and all we could do was get to an NY6 bowl and lost to a very down Alabama who had Blake ****ing Sims as their QB and we lost to an Ole Miss team that had a one armed Bo Wallace.

Oh, I'm sure the same handful were pissed then too.

Todd4State
11-25-2018, 01:17 AM
I can't wait for UK to come to Starkville next year. I expect our guys to get payback for that one.

It sucks it'll be awhile before we get another crack at UF, but it is what it is.

I think we get payback on UK next year. Snell will probably go pro and it will be in Starkville. Our guys will have it circled on the calendar.

To me what it will come down to is:

How much will UT improve between this year and next year? Their goal should be to get back to a bowl.

What kind of team does Auburn have next year? They're the most bipolar team in the SEC. They can literally go from 3-9 one year to 13-0 the next and then go 7-5 after that.

How much will Texas A&M improve next year? After beating them three years in a row they could have us circled on their calendar and it's a road game for us.

Will LSU continue to struggle on the road?

And of course we have our own questions ourselves. Who is the QB? How much of a step back do we take on defense?

cheewgumm
11-25-2018, 01:18 AM
We get 4 patsies, Ole Miss, Arkansas and Kentucky at home. That should be 7 wins.

We also play Tenn there... that could be 8.

All those we?ll probably be favored.

I think you could legitimately expect 8, depending on if you think we can win at Tennessee.

LC Dawg
11-25-2018, 01:19 AM

Yep,and got demolished in the bowl game.
But that guy would have us in the playoffs this year.****

Todd4State
11-25-2018, 01:19 AM

Not likely. But I do think they can be top 25-30. I just don't think it will be as bad as some people think.

KOdawg1
11-25-2018, 01:20 AM

I think next year's defense can be good.

It's not fair to compare it to this year's because this year's was a once in a lifetime type of defense. But we have talent on the DL, all of our LBs are back, Brain Cole will be back, and we lose Peters at CB but Smitherman played great this year. We lose both safeties so it'll be interesting to see what we do there, but next year's defense can be pretty dang good.

dawgday166
11-25-2018, 01:20 AM
Can we go back to blaming Shotgun? That was more fun ***

Turfdawg67
11-25-2018, 01:21 AM
Good post and accurate IMO.

Yes Joe was very stubborn or over-confident HIS scheme would work during 3 of our 4 losses. He conceded for the Auburn game and we won, reverted back (at LSU?) and lost. We finished with the O we should've played all year. Is that on Joe, I supposed it has to be but the ship has been righted and if KT is our QB next year, and still can't run his RPO, we'll see more of the hybrid again.

Todd4State
11-25-2018, 01:22 AM
We get 4 patsies, Ole Miss, Arkansas and Kentucky at home. That should be 7 wins.

We also play Tenn there... that could be 8.

All those we?ll probably be favored.

I think you could legitimately expect 8, depending on if you think we can win at Tennessee.

We play at Arkansas. I think we should win that one anyway.

Like I said- I want to see what Auburn, A&M, LSU, and Tennessee look like when the season starts as well as how we look before I make any predictions.

Bubb Rubb
11-25-2018, 01:24 AM
We play at Arkansas. I think we should win that one anyway.

Like I said- I want to see what Auburn, A&M, LSU, and Tennessee look like when the season starts as well as how we look before I make any predictions.

If we lose to Tennessee next year, it will be inexcusable, even on the road. But, after this year, it won't be unprecedented.

msstate7
11-25-2018, 01:26 AM
Not likely. But I do think they can be top 25-30. I just don't think it will be as bad as some people think.

I think that's certainly attainable, but that's a drop. We at Clemson, bama level now; 25-30 is Florida, usm, cal, Troy, and penn state. That's quite a drop. Hopefully the offense makes a big jump and we stay around 15-20th in defense

Bothrops
11-25-2018, 01:27 AM
We would have beaten Kentucky if our game had been 2 weeks later. Mullen is too much of a dick to lose to us at home. Wasnt going to happen.

It sucks but at least we aren't in the situation of Ole Miss, Arkansas, or Tennessee for ****'s sake. I would absolutely consider giving up being a fan if I wore a couple of those colors. Our sandy Moorhead haters need to consider one of those scenarios before thinking our state of football affairs aren't good.

TUSK
11-25-2018, 01:27 AM
Can we go back to blaming Shotgun? That was more fun ***

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dawgday166 again.

DancingRabbit
11-25-2018, 01:28 AM

You can add 1/2 star to much of the offense if they're running Dan's offense. If Dan was back this year and half-way paying attention we would have won 1 or 2 more games. Dan and Hev could recruit certain types (lightly recruited), redshirt them, develop them and compete with everyone but the elite teams.

Todd4State
11-25-2018, 01:28 AM
I think next year's defense can be good.

It's not fair to compare it to this year's because this year's was a once in a lifetime type of defense. But we have talent on the DL, all of our LBs are back, Brain Cole will be back, and we lose Peters at CB but Smitherman played great this year. We lose both safeties so it'll be interesting to see what we do there, but next year's defense can be pretty dang good.

The biggest thing is our "next man up" is probably going to be a freshman or sophomore in most cases. But I think the talent is definitely there. It would be nice if Pickering or Moore can come in and be as productive as Chris Jones and Jeffrey Simmons were as freshmen. I'm pretty sure Crumedy is moving to DT at 290+ now along with Lovett- and both of them are talented. I definitely think DeMonte Russell and Jarrian Jones could play a lot next year and we'll probably see Marcus Murphy play a lot too.

Courtney Rivers, Kobe Jones, and Fletcher Adams have all performed pretty well at DE. DT is more of a concern though. I feel good about the LB's and DB's. Returning Dantzler and Smitherman will help. And CJ Morgan has stepped up a lot lately to go along with Landrews and Cole.

Todd4State
11-25-2018, 01:30 AM
If we lose to Tennessee next year, it will be inexcusable, even on the road. But, after this year, it won't be unprecedented.

I won't be happy about it- but Tennessee did get a couple of nice wins this year. We should win but it's not a gimmie.

Turfdawg67
11-25-2018, 01:31 AM
You can add 1/2 star to much of the offense if they're running Dan's offense. If Dan was back this year and half-way paying attention we would have won 1 or 2 more games. Dan and Hev could recruit certain types (lightly recruited), redshirt them, develop them and compete with everyone but the elite teams.

I think probably one. Wins: UK & UF. Losses: OM... cause he would've been on the phone with 1/2 dozen ADs trying to get another job instead of getting our guys ready to play.

MetEdDawg
11-25-2018, 01:32 AM

If this is true (obviously I think we offensively would execute Dans system better) then it should be a no brained why we struggled offensively. Scheme and familiarity matters.

But I will also add this. How many of you think this defense is the number 1 scoring defense in the country under Grantham? I don't. So we would get some on offense, but let's not underestimate the impact of Shoop and staff.

Todd4State
11-25-2018, 01:34 AM
I think that's certainly attainable, but that's a drop. We at Clemson, bama level now; 25-30 is Florida, usm, cal, Troy, and penn state. That's quite a drop. Hopefully the offense makes a big jump and we stay around 15-20th in defense

If we keep Shoop it will probably help. As will having Joe for another will help the offense. Just watching them in game it seems like Key makes decisions much quicker than Nick did. And isn't nearly the ball hog.

Todd4State
11-25-2018, 01:35 AM
I think probably one. Wins: UK & UF. Losses: OM... cause he would've been on the phone with 1/2 dozen ADs trying to get another job instead of getting our guys ready to play.

I still say that Dan would have lost to UK. He lost to them at home this year with Florida and they would have been just as hyped up to play us. He probably loses to Alabama and LSU too. Agree about Ole Miss.

dawgday166
11-25-2018, 01:36 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dawgday166 again.

I mean ... don't you agree? Blaming Shotgun is always fun LOL.

Turfdawg67
11-25-2018, 01:46 AM
I still say that Dan would have lost to UK. He lost to them at home this year with Florida and they would have been just as hyped up to play us. He probably loses to Alabama and LSU too. Agree about Ole Miss.

Definitely to Bama to run his record to 0-10.

dawgday166
11-25-2018, 01:48 AM

He doesn't lose to LSU. He owns O. Supremely confident when he plays him. But you probably right about the rest.