PDA

View Full Version : Do you have weird off-the-wall teams that you pull for?

msstate7
11-24-2018, 02:13 PM
I have 2... I seem to always find myself watching and pulling for wake forest and Baylor. I started really liking Matt rhule at temple and followed him to Baylor. Definetely not a fan of Baylor under briles. I like wake bc of the HC too. Clawson is a damn good coach, and I'm surprised he hasn't been snatched up by a big school yet. He's done an unbelievable job at wake.

Who are yours?

SailingDawg
11-24-2018, 02:27 PM
Northwestern for some reason. Just that underdog I like to watch.

Goldendawg
11-24-2018, 02:37 PM
Just one, as is also pulled for by all true State fans: WIPOM, "Whoever Is Playing Ole Miss"! Hail State!

West Tn Dawg
11-24-2018, 02:38 PM
I have always pulled for TCU since I was a kid. My cousin lives in Fort Worth and we always pulled for each others team.
I was a HUGE fan when they curb stomped the Sharts!

MagicDawg
11-24-2018, 02:41 PM
My daughter attended Georgia Southern (will graduate in 2 weeks) so I am tangentially interested in them. I have their game on the radio now.

RocketDawg
11-24-2018, 02:42 PM
I have 2... I seem to always find myself watching and pulling for wake forest and Baylor. I started really liking Matt rhule at temple and followed him to Baylor. Definetely not a fan of Baylor under briles. I like wake bc of the HC too. Clawson is a damn good coach, and I'm surprised he hasn't been snatched up by a big school yet. He's done an unbelievable job at wake.

Who are yours?

Yes, Alabama on occasion. **

Jack Lambert
11-24-2018, 02:46 PM
NC State. They are a lot like Miss State. I also pull for the Mississippi SWAC schools. Alcorn is my first choice. Their situation is a lot like ours. They are a land grant. Their in State Rivals think they are better then them.

RogueBooster4you
11-24-2018, 02:47 PM
Northwestern had a really cool night game against Michigan in 95 I think and I find myself pulling for them whenever they’re on. With that said, Michigan’s uniforms won me over at a young age. Michigan State is ok too. It was fun watching them during their Rose bowl run a few years ago. Being from Brandon, we’ve had two guys go to Washington St. so I’m partial. Have family ties to south Florida, like the Canes ok.

Maroonthirteen
11-24-2018, 02:56 PM
Florida State

BrunswickDawg
11-24-2018, 02:59 PM
My daughter attended Georgia Southern (will graduate in 2 weeks) so I am tangentially interested in them. I have their game on the radio now.

GSU is on my list - my grandmother lived in Statesboro when I was a kid and we were there when they won their first Natty in '85(?).

About to start following Valdosta State because my son just got a full ride scholarship and will be in their marching band.

MTSU - my sister went there and my friend used to be their HC.

Miami - friend of mine is their OL coach and their RB Deejay Dallas graduated with my daughter.

Leroy Jenkins
11-24-2018, 03:08 PM
Oklahoma State, but only when they wear white helmets.

parabrave
11-24-2018, 03:15 PM
The Citadel and West Point. Had good friends and Commanders I would kill for that went to both schools.

Jarius
11-24-2018, 03:19 PM
I pull for Dino Babers a lot because I love his offense and he covers the spread a lot.

Todd4State
11-24-2018, 03:35 PM
Whoever plays Ole Miss.

msudawg1200
11-24-2018, 03:45 PM
Tulane is mine. As a youngster in the late 70’s and early 80’s, we’d go to Saints games and Tulane would be playing on Saturday in the dome. They were halfway decent then, and played good teams. They hadn’t been out of the SEC long then, so, us, Ole Miss, Vandy, Kentucky, Florida, UGA, and of course, LSU all made trips to the Dome back then. I remember we were there when Clemson came in 81 the year they won the Natty, and Tulane almost beat them that night. I think it was 13-5. Tulane beat Navy to get bowl eligible today which made me happy.

Commercecomet24
11-24-2018, 03:47 PM
North Dakota State. So well coached and disciplined and not the 5 star guys. Kids playing fundamentally sound football for the love of the game. Very refreshing to watch.

Mutt the Hoople
11-24-2018, 04:26 PM
Iowa and Iowa State- had cousins who graduated both schools.

starkvegasdawg
11-24-2018, 05:05 PM
Always like Penn State as a kid for some reason but the Sandusky cover up ended that for me.

Dawgology
11-24-2018, 05:30 PM
Yale. The only non-SEC games that I’ve ever attended. Had a blast.

stalkingpoon
11-24-2018, 05:43 PM
UCF is my number 2.

Miami was my number 2 as a kid. Had every Shockey Jersey except the Saints. Still pull for them as well.

AusTexDawg
11-24-2018, 06:08 PM
Iowa State and Northwestern. I have family from near Ames and their history is very similar to MSU’s, but not sure why I picked up Northwestern.

99jc
11-24-2018, 06:10 PM
Wyoming it was the only team to root for in 5000 miles when I lived on the Wyoming /Montana boarder.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-24-2018, 06:25 PM
Notre Dame. Grew up watching them on TV when Lou Holtz was the coach.

gravedigger
11-24-2018, 06:35 PM
I have always pulled for TCU since I was a kid. My cousin lives in Fort Worth and we always pulled for each others team.
I was a HUGE fan when they curb stomped the Sharts!

Same. TCU.

Drugdog
11-24-2018, 06:42 PM
Clemson. They are an SEC team.

Leroy Jenkins
11-24-2018, 09:27 PM

Forgot to say, "I'm a man, I'm 40!"

Goldendawg
11-24-2018, 09:34 PM
I pulled for all the NFL teams that had Sly Croom as the RB Coach!***********

MetEdDawg
11-24-2018, 09:44 PM
UAB. Living in Bham and having grown up in metro Bham I have always wanted them to do well. After they disbanded the football program and came back I have really been more into their program. Plus I have a student I taught that plays for them and another student I taught that is committed to them.

Coursesuper
11-24-2018, 09:45 PM
Jacksonville State.

Bully13
11-24-2018, 11:08 PM
TCU. Have now lived in ft worth 15 yrs. Nice ass whipping on shitbird in that bowl to boot.

ckDOG
11-25-2018, 12:08 AM
Oklahoma State from my time living in OK. Good folks. Ag school similar to us. Can't stand OU.

Also have some buds that went to Washington State. Found myself pulling for them.

Guess I have a soft spot for state schools.

FlytheW3
11-25-2018, 12:10 AM
Just depends who the players are. I liked A&M few years ago when they had Johnny Football. I've been pulling for Oklahoma because of Baker Mayfield and now Kyler Murray. I also have pulled for Clemson lately because of Dabo, Deshaun Watson when he was there, and now Trevor Lawrence. I saw a documentary on Jake Fromm from high school so I've been pulling for him. I've also enjoyed watching West Virginia with Will Grier. In basketball I love Duke. I started pulling for them when I was younger when JJ Redick was my favorite player.

msstate7
11-25-2018, 12:12 AM
Just depends who the players are. I liked A&M few years ago when they had Johnny Football. I've been pulling for Oklahoma because of Baker Mayfield and now Kyler Murray. I also have pulled for Clemson lately because of Dabo, Deshaun Watson when he was there, and now Trevor Lawrence. I saw a documentary on Jake Fromm from high school so I've been pulling for him. I've also enjoyed watching West Virginia with Will Grier.

I'm same way. I liked Oklahoma bc of mayfield, and don't care for them a bit this year

Lord McBuckethead
11-25-2018, 03:05 AM
I pull for Memphis generally. Also like to see Mizzou win.

BulldogBear
11-25-2018, 10:31 AM
Northwestern for some reason. Just that underdog I like to watch.

I am somewhat on board with that. I have a tendency to gravitate toward more traditional underdogs. In the Big Ten I also find myself pulling for Indiana, Purdue, and Minnesota a lot. The latter is not really a traditional underdog. They do have history but it's 50 years old. I gravitated to them as a kid because they were underdogs by that point and I loved the cartoony mascot picture in one of my dad's early 1980s football mags. I think it was called Football Action. It was a great mag and ahead of it's time. And who doesn't love to say "Golden Gophers?" Colors maroon and gold. It just worked for me as a kid in the 1980s. I remember them losing to Nebraska 84-13.

NC State. They are a lot like Miss State. I also pull for the Mississippi SWAC schools. Alcorn is my first choice. Their situation is a lot like ours. They are a land grant. Their in State Rivals think they are better then them.

Right here with you Jack. I grew up in Natchez so Alcorn is my SWAC school. From ACC I also like NCSU. See below for more ACC favorites.

Who are yours?

Also like Wake Forest and Baylor. More on why below. So, okay ACC schools I pull for are NCSU, WF, and Duke. Never the 'Canes. Never. Duke has a stadium that is small by SEC standards but very nice with half the stadium being very spacious chairbacks.

I will tend to pull for Baylor but this may be more about them and WF being the "Mississippi College" of their respective states. Wake Forest is even one of the 6 major Southern Baptist Seminaries. For a time I was considering the ministry and was thinking, "Hey, I would still have some eligibility left and could play football at WF!" I kind of like the ketchup and mustard look of the Cyclones. But the reason I like the Pokes is because I almost married a girl who was an alumna. I was prepared to love MSU 1st and OSU 2nd for the rest of my life. Well, that didn't work out but I'm still stuck with a place in my heart for OSU. I even went thru Stillwater in October when travelling between the Thursday night TT-TCU game and the Friday night Tulsa-USF game just because I wanted to take my annual football trip buddies to the orignal Hideaway Pizza. And you're right, none of their unis look better than white tops, orange jerseys and white trousers (I miss Jack).

Tulane is mine. As a youngster in the late 70’s and early 80’s, we’d go to Saints games and Tulane would be playing on Saturday in the dome. They were halfway decent then, and played good teams. They hadn’t been out of the SEC long then, so, us, Ole Miss, Vandy, Kentucky, Florida, UGA, and of course, LSU all made trips to the Dome back then. I remember we were there when Clemson came in 81 the year they won the Natty, and Tulane almost beat them that night. I think it was 13-5. Tulane beat Navy to get bowl eligible today which made me happy.

I too like Tulane. Maybe it's because they're former SEC and an opponent we played a lot. Maybe because we played them almost every year when I was growing up. Maybe it is because green and blue is not so ordinary! Or because they played in the Dome! Whatever it is, I've always been interested in Tulane. Another AAC school I like is East Carolina. I remember wondering where in the world that was as a kid.

UCF is my number 2.

Miami was my number 2 as a kid. Had every Shockey Jersey except the Saints. Still pull for them as well.

Used to like UCF. No longer. Miami holds the number one spot on my "Great Satan List," which the evolving top 5 schools I root against. Miami has held an unwavering #1 spot since about 1990. BYU has had the #2 spot since 2001. The rest fluctuate more.

currently :

#3 Texas (Texas failure is good for college football. See #5 below)
#4 USCw
#5 Notre Dame (The sooner the Irish go 0-12, the sooner they'll join a conference which along with UT's uneven handling of B12 matters are what is holding up logical expansion in FBS football. The sooner the special treatment goes away, the better the sport will be.)

Wyoming it was the only team to root for in 5000 miles when I lived on the Wyoming /Montana boarder.
I went to the game in 2005 when they beat UMiss 24-14 in Oxford. W-Y-O! W-Y-O! W-Y-O! I am also partial to Colorado State from the MWC as well as UNM because I used to live in Albuquerque.

Notre Dame. Grew up watching them on TV when Lou Holtz was the coach. I don't like Notre Dame right now as mentioned above, but I will admit that college football just feels different in a good way when ND matters. So the sooner the problem above gets taken care of the better. Then I can pull for them again.

I pull for Memphis generally. Also like to see Mizzou win.

Ahhh yes, Memphis State. I had forgotten about them. I generally send positive vibes at them.

From the Pac-12 I tend to like WSU and OSU. State schools plus traditional 'dogs. And who doesn't love the knickname Beavers?

Sienfield
11-25-2018, 10:49 AM
the Citidale***