PDA

View Full Version : This Egg Bowl was memorable for me

Todd4State
11-24-2018, 01:27 AM
This is probably a too soon hot take from me- but as of now I think last night was in my top five.

It's not 1999, 1998, or 2013. Those are my clear cut top three. I think right now this one may be four.

And the reason is because of what happened the year before. I also think the brawl last night will go down as one of if not THE most memorable Egg Bowl brawl of all time. Definitely the most memorable in game brawl.

Some of what I think is going to make it memorable is Fitz coming back and performing well after the injury last year. And then the defense that we have is special. And they stepped up and shut down the nWo receivers. Peters, Dantzler...and yes Smitherman are so underrated across the league. And I think that should change now. All three are really good and did a good job last night. But the thing I also enjoyed was from a football standpoint it was a very clean game in terms of how we played in all three phases of the game. The passing game could have been a little bit better but 11-18 is a good night with no interceptions yet again. We rushed the ball well with Fitz and Kylin having over 100 yards and Aeris had a good night as well even though he didn't get to 100. The offensive line did a good job against a defense that tries to outnumber you. And defensively we had three turnovers, I think we had four sacks if my memory is correct and shut down an offense that piles up yards. Simmons and Sweat are special and were special last night. And Erroll Thompson continues to remind me of Barrin Simpson 2.0 but with a better frame that will probably land him in the NFL instead of the CFL. Abrams was outstanding and maybe the MVP of the game. And then on special teams we were pretty clean other than having two guys wearing the same number jersey. And we did all of that on the road.

Time will tell where this ranks but right now this is where it is for me.

starkvegasdawg
11-24-2018, 05:59 AM
I knew in the weeks leading up to the game there'd be a fight. I just didn't know if it'd be pregame or during the game. But after last year I knew there'd be one. Sadly, I think the narrative will be the fight instead of how we absolutely shut down their high powered offense. The media that is perpetually sucking off all things hotty toddy will always bring up the fight instead of what our defense did. But I guess that is ok. I knew tensions were high and at the first sign of tsun assholishness we would respond and it'd be on. Turns out that was AJ and Abrams fighting for a ball. It happens. And you're right. After all the BS last egg bowl I am savoring this game like a perfectly cooked 18oz bone in ribeye. It's probably top three for me after the Dak comeback and the Pegues punt return.

Maroonthirteen
11-24-2018, 06:35 AM
As time goes by, this Egg Bowl will be nothing special. It was a game State was supposed to win. State did in dominating fashion. Most OM fans (outside Fancy and McReday and Upchuck) knew they were losing and were very docile pregame. We had a poor showing of fans. The atmosphere in the stadium was the most subdued of any Egg Bowl I?ve attended since the Croom years and 2003.

The brawl was not as vicious or bloody as the 90 or 97 fight. Two guys open hand slapped each other with their helmets on. Lil Matt got his helmet taken. There was pushing and shoving and cussing. So what....folks labeling all that a brawl and making a big deal. I don?t see it. It is a violent game played by alpha males. Some posturing is going to happen.

Anyway..... awesome win for State anytime you win the Egg and especially on their turf. But... it will rank outside the top 10 for me. The best part is all those warriors in maroon (Fitz Simmons Sweat Abrams...) go out winners.

mparkerfd20
11-24-2018, 10:01 AM
Couldn't agree more with Maroonthirteen. Nowhere close to top 5 and maybe barely top 10.

gravedigger
11-24-2018, 01:16 PM
But I didn?t enjoy it like others.

1999 is my top.
1980 is right up there.
2009 had some sweet emotion.
1977 was my first.

This one feels like 2011 for now anyway.

Of course we all have unique perspectives. Your post reminds me of that.

Maroonthirteen
11-24-2018, 02:44 PM
But I didn?t enjoy it like others.

1999 is my top.
1980 is right up there.
2009 had some sweet emotion.
1977 was my first.

This one feels like 2011 .

Good comparison. I agree. 2011 everyone knew State was winning.

Outside the obvious big wins......The 1991 game was always special to me. It was the first time I had ever seen OM play in Starkville. Also we beat them much worse than the score indicates. It was a fun day.