PDA

View Full Version : Tony hughes

Homedawg
11-23-2018, 03:55 PM
Let the sweepstakes begin. The rebel firings today and going forward opens up a spot for tony on the field. He has one there, that's a given. Now someone has to leave our staff to open up a spot. Timing on this is what bothers me. He's not coming here for an office job when he can go there for an on field position. Problem is, is he going to be patient and wait? Someone or two of our staff are possibles to leave. Tony is well aware of our desire to have him, I know that for a fact. We've met w him very recently. I'd hate to see him in red and blue again. Hate it. Just hold on Tony!!!

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2018, 03:58 PM
I think Hughes can wait. It's not like OM isn't going to find a spot for him later, if he wants to go there.

That being said, the entire Luke staff will be fired following 2019 & Moorhead looks to have a future at MSU.

I don't see anyway that Hughes goes to OM, if MSU finds a spot for him, &, if history is any judge, there will likely be an open spot on the staff for him although I have no clue which spot that would currently be.

somebodyshotmypaw
11-23-2018, 06:59 PM
He's not coming here for an office job when he can go there for an on field position.

Do you know that for sure? The reason I ask is that I think fans assume a lot. Sometimes people reach a point in life where priorities change. I honestly have no idea what Tony Hughes is thinking? Does he want money, stability, better hours, less travel? I have no idea. I do think that Tony's connections, knowledge of Mississippi, ability to talk to kids and parents, etc. make him valuable to the two major football programs in Mississippi. And if he's not interested in Starkville or Hattiesburg, then Ole Miss presents a third option.

yjnkdawg
11-23-2018, 07:08 PM
Do you know that for sure? The reason I ask is that I think fans assume a lot. Sometimes people reach a point in life where priorities change. I honestly have no idea what Tony Hughes is thinking? Does he want money, stability, better hours, less travel? I have no idea. I do think that Tony's connections, knowledge of Mississippi, ability to talk to kids and parents, etc. make him valuable to the two major football programs in Mississippi. And if he's not interested in Starkville or Hattiesburg, then Ole Miss presents a third option.

He left us because he wanted to be a HC and took a pay cut to do so. He liked being a coach here. I think the only way he would even consider a coaching job offer from OM is if he didn't have a viable offer from us that he is satisfied with.

Political Hack
11-23-2018, 07:10 PM
If he goes to OM, it'll be a huge blow to us in-State. That's not something we can afford to do.

DogsofAnarchy
11-23-2018, 08:15 PM
If he goes to OM, it'll be a huge blow to us in-State. That's not something we can afford to do.

It’s not a HUGE blow anymore. 20 years ago it would have been.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-23-2018, 08:21 PM
I'd like Hughes on staff but only as ST Coordinator. I'd like to keep the defensive staff together.

basedog
11-23-2018, 08:44 PM

Exactly. Hughes is early 60, things change.

Leeshouldveflanked
11-23-2018, 09:06 PM
Tony Hughes > Joey Jones

Homedawg
11-23-2018, 09:27 PM

Well that's what he's stated. Unless it's bargaining I'd assume it to be true.

Homedawg
11-23-2018, 09:29 PM

Trust me, we don't there's a reason both us and ole miss desire him. Age ain't got jack to do with it. He's good at what he does. Don't be crazy. So Nick Saban is damn near 70 so he sucks too?? Smh

msstate7
11-23-2018, 10:36 PM
Hughes' strength is recruiting. Does him being in an office position help much? Wouldn't you want him making in home visits? I don't think office guys can recruit off campus, but could be wrong

Cooterpoot
11-23-2018, 11:16 PM

You’re wrong. He’s the best instate recruiter you’ll ever see.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-24-2018, 12:19 AM
Hughes' strength is recruiting. Does him being in an office position help much? Wouldn't you want him making in home visits? I don't think office guys can recruit off campus, but could be wrong

Wherever he goes he'll be on the field.

Cooterpoot
11-24-2018, 12:24 AM
I think he already knows where he’s going.

Commercecomet24
11-24-2018, 12:26 AM
Tony's a great guy! I sure hope we find a spot for him. This staff is already great recruiting but he would add some more punch. Come back, Coach Hughes!

preachermatt83
11-24-2018, 12:34 AM
He will be coaching at om next year. Mark it down.

KOdawg1
11-24-2018, 12:52 AM
He will be coaching at om next year. Mark it down.
Whew, that makes me feel better. Thanks preach!! **

somebodyshotmypaw
11-24-2018, 01:39 AM
Well that's what he's stated. Unless it's bargaining I'd assume it to be true.

Okay. That answers my question. I didn't know if people just assumed that Tony insisted on an on-field position, or if Tony himself had actually stated it.

Cooterpoot
11-24-2018, 08:13 AM
I’ve heard rumors of possibly 2 coaches leaving. If that’s the case, I believe Hughes is at State. If its not true, or doesn’t happen, then I expect him to be at OM. We need Hud to stay. He recruits at the level Hughes did. But Moorhead is our deal closer. He’s been lights out with kids and families .

BeastMan
11-24-2018, 08:17 AM
If Tony Hughes goes to OM so what? That entire staff is getting fired after next season. Further, he just fell flat on his face at the best swac job in ms with the most built-in advantages. I want Tony on our staff but acting like he’s some game changer is dramatic.

Cooterpoot
11-24-2018, 08:26 AM
We don’t have a single weak recruiter on staff. Would love to have Hughes too but it’s going to depend on what staff moves happen. Baker, Hud, Buck, & Moorhead are really good.

msstate7
11-24-2018, 08:34 AM
We don’t have a single weak recruiter on staff. Would love to have Hughes too but it’s going to depend on what staff moves happen. Baker, Hud, Buck, & Moorhead are really good.

Even so, if signing day were today, 4 of the top 10 in state would be leaving. Hughes would be a big get for us or OM.

BrunswickDawg
11-24-2018, 08:41 AM
If Tony Hughes goes to OM so what? That entire staff is getting fired after next season. Further, he just fell flat on his face at the best swac job in ms with the most built-in advantages. I want Tony on our staff but acting like he’s some game changer is dramatic.

Hughes is a great recruiter - but he also stood out because he was on a staff of bad recruiters. The game has also changed since Hughes left us - we have greatly expanded the off field staff and we have a STAFF of recruiters instead of 2-3 on field coaches who do well. If we get him great.

Cooterpoot
11-24-2018, 09:02 AM
Even so, if signing day were today, 4 of the top 10 in state would be leaving. Hughes would be a big get for us or OM.

Hughes wouldn’t pull any of those leaving MS. Nobody would.

Jarius
11-24-2018, 09:11 AM
My grandfather gave Tony his first two coaching jobs and I followed him around on the sidelines for nearly a decade when I was a little kid. Tony is an outstanding human being and a great recruiter. He would certainly make our staff better. I hope we can work something out.

Cooterpoot
11-24-2018, 09:53 AM
Agree Jarius! He’s a really good guy. Always good to have guys that are positive influences on kids. He fits our “family”.

Todd4State
11-24-2018, 10:07 AM
Agree Jarius! He’s a really good guy. Always good to have guys that are positive influences on kids. He fits our “family”.

That's why I think he is coming back to MSU.

CooterDavenport
11-24-2018, 11:43 AM
Coaching is full of business decisions, but I've got to wonder if Jay playing at MSU makes going to Oxford harder.

Ari Gold
11-24-2018, 01:38 PM
Homedog is correct . We don’t need CTH in Oxford. Not only is he very good at what he does. He would bring a much better culture to that locker room .

I do think we will have a position or 2 open up and I believe CTH would rather be here than there at their dumpster fire.

Jarius
11-24-2018, 01:57 PM
Coaching is full of business decisions, but I've got to wonder if Jay playing at MSU makes going to Oxford harder.

His older son played at Ole Miss. Tony will take what he sees as the best offer. Considering they are a lame duck staff I don’t see him choosing Ole Miss unless we don’t offer an on the field position.

Commercecomet24
11-24-2018, 01:57 PM
Homedog is correct . We don’t need CTH in Oxford. Not only is he very good at what he does. He would bring a much better culture to that locker room .

I do think we will have a position or 2 open up and I believe CTH would rather be here than there at their dumpster fire.

I've known tony quite awhile. Quality person recruiter and coach. Would be great to have him!

preachermatt83
11-25-2018, 09:18 PM
I?ve heard rumors of possibly 2 coaches leaving. If that?s the case, I believe Hughes is at State. If its not true, or doesn?t happen, then I expect him to be at OM. We need Hud to stay. He recruits at the level Hughes did. But Moorhead is our deal closer. He?s been lights out with kids and families .

Which two?

yjnkdawg
11-26-2018, 01:30 AM
Which two?

He said it was rumors he had heard. "So possibly two coaches leaving" is enough information for this board. But you want names given based on rumors (unreal). Just what the OM people who frequent this board would like to see. I would imagine.

Todd4State
11-26-2018, 01:34 AM
He said it was rumors he had heard. "So possibly two coaches leaving" is enough information for this board. But you want names given based on rumors (unreal). Just what the OM people who frequent this board would like to see. I would imagine.

At the same time none of our fans are talking about the cryptic info from Chuck Rounsaville about how "the staff will be re-evaluated later" which to me is code for "We're firing Longo after we get Mingo and Dannis Jackson to sign their LOI".

Ari Gold
11-26-2018, 11:42 AM
There could also be some very good news early in the new year or maybe even around spring with another coach not named Tony Hughes. And Again we really need to warp up Coach Hughes he would be very improtrant for us going forward.