PDA

View Full Version : Is Fitz the Toughest Player in MSU History?

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2018, 10:26 AM
Not sure you can give a man higher praise than this.

Kid laid his balls, ankles, & head on the line every Saturday for 3 straight years.

I feel like history will always view him as the "other guy", due to being between Dak & whoever JoMo's GUY will be, but I don't think he should be viewed that way.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a tougher human suit up for Mississippi State in my lifetime.

Perhaps down the road there should be an award created in his honor that goes to the toughest player on the team.

Like a golden mallet or something.

http://www.pheasanthollowboxers.com/images/golden_hammer3.gif

msbulldog
11-23-2018, 10:31 AM
Cool Gun, Love the gold Thor hammer! If Fitz isn't the toughest I'd put him in the top 10!

Cooterpoot
11-23-2018, 10:32 AM
I don't know. Dak coming in in that Egg Bowl when he was hurt was pretty damn spectacular. But, yeah, he's put some miles and years on his body. Most people don't understand the incredible pounding the body takes in any sport if you play it for a period of time. Everybody that plays for a period of time is going to hurt like hell down the road.

stalkingpoon
11-23-2018, 10:33 AM
Cool Gun, Love the gold Thor hammer! If Fitz isn't the toughest I'd put him in the top 10!

Outside of Nickoe I don’t know a tougher SOB to play than Fitz in recent memory

99jc
11-23-2018, 10:37 AM
Outside of Nickoe I don?t know a tougher SOB to play than Fitz in recent memory

Jason Wisner gets my vote. but gotta give Nick props.

Maroonthirteen
11-23-2018, 10:39 AM
I don’t know about tough but.... as far as MSU QBs....

Dak is the favorite son. Before Dak.... John Bond.

Fitz is the millennial Bulldogs John Bond. Fitz will be loved for many many decades.

msbulldog
11-23-2018, 10:46 AM
Stan Black would check your oil for you!

Sacrifice
11-23-2018, 10:52 AM
Fitz is one tough MFer and he'll leave undefeated against OM! Not only undefeated but wore their asses out!

DancingRabbit
11-23-2018, 11:03 AM
If not for an ankle pointing east-west he would be 3 for 3 against the BearSharks. Probably not many MSU QBs over the years that got 2 wins in Oxford.

He's certainly one of the toughest. Gonna miss watching him run the rock. Not many QBs want to, or can, run amongst the big trees.

Anybody got an updated records watch for Nick? Is he gonna catch Boobie's yards mark?

BrunswickDawg
11-23-2018, 11:55 AM
If not for an ankle pointing east-west he would be 3 for 3 against the BearSharks. Probably not many MSU QBs over the years that got 2 wins in Oxford.

He's certainly one of the toughest. Gonna miss watching him run the rock. Not many QBs want to, or can, run amongst the big trees.

Anybody got an updated records watch for Nick? Is he gonna catch Boobie's yards mark?

Fitz is at 3,504 career rushing yards - 490 fewer than Boobie. He won't catch Boobie, but if he had had a full game against USA in '16, not been knocked out by OM in '17, and suspended for SFA - he'd be right there.

He's also only 282 short of passing Madkin for #2 in passing yards. He could, possibly, get that in the bowl but odds are he won't.

bulldawg28
11-23-2018, 01:04 PM
Fitz is one tough MFer and he'll leave undefeated against OM! Not only undefeated but wore their asses out!

He started the game last year and we lost.

RougeDawg
11-23-2018, 01:10 PM
Fitz is at 3,504 career rushing yards - 490 fewer than Boobie. He won't catch Boobie, but if he had had a full game against USA in '16, not been knocked out by OM in '17, and suspended for SFA - he'd be right there.

He's also only 282 short of passing Madkin for #2 in passing yards. He could, possibly, get that in the bowl but odds are he won't.

Someone needs to let JoMo that he?s 282 behind. He put Aeris back in last week when someone told Jo he was close to 100 yards. Seems to be one of the things Joe does that makes the players love him.

Political Hack
11-23-2018, 01:24 PM
Henig. That kid took a beating.

Sacrifice
11-23-2018, 01:37 PM
He started the game last year and we lost.

I don't give 2 $hits if he started, he played maybe 3 series and got took out. OM has never beat Fitz.

Commercecomet24
11-23-2018, 01:47 PM
I don't know if he's THE toughest but it don't take long to call roll.

parabrave
11-23-2018, 01:49 PM
Stan Black would check your oil for you!

DD Lewis for true daily double Alex.

DancingRabbit
11-23-2018, 11:25 PM

Just saw the answer to my comment in bold -

The Flying M
?️
‏ @MSUhistory

Only 2 starting quarterbacks in MSU history have recorded 2 road victories over ole miss in oxford.

Derrick Taite (1994 & 1996)
Nick Fitzgerald (2016 & 2018)

https://twitter.com/MSUhistory/status/1066122125688430592

TUSK
11-23-2018, 11:36 PM
I'm not an MSU aficionado by any stretch of the imagination... In addition to Fitz...

The tatted up cat that stomped LSU nuts - Dillon Day?
DD Lewis
Running Back, late 90s - James Johnson?
Hull was tough
Hotdog Neck Wisner was tough
Fletcher Cox was legit, too

Pit Bull
11-24-2018, 12:20 AM
DD Lewis for true daily double Alex.

^^This^^...Everyone needs to be careful if you say....."toughest in history". I would put DD Lewis as the toughest I have ever seen. And many RBs in the NFL who played against Dallas would agree. And he was a bit on the mean side with a few dirty plays along the way. Back in those days....there was no targeting and you could outright slug a RB with your clinched fist and not get flagged......which DD did a few times. He's a guy I would love to have on my side in a bar fight. Another guy I would have on my top toughest list is Jimmy Webb. Never seen him get pushed backwards by an offensive lineman....ever! Dude was country-strong stout!! And my Dad used to tell me about those older players back in the 1930's and 1940s when they didn't wear facemasks. I imagine many of those who were missing teeth and were put right back into the game were pretty doggone tough. Current day....yeah Fitz and Dak IMO were both tough players and I appreciate everything they have done for our university. Almost forgot Kent Hull (thanks Tusk). Ask Jim Kelly about him.....Jim said once, the reason he was able to walk normally in retirement from the Buffalo Bills was due to Kent Hull keeping all those big nose tackles off his ass. Jim and Kent were best of friends.

TUSK
11-24-2018, 12:41 AM
^^This^^...Everyone needs to be careful if you say....."toughest in history". I would put DD Lewis as the toughest I have ever seen. And many RBs in the NFL who played against Dallas would agree. And he was a bit on the mean side with a few dirty plays along the way. Back in those days....there was no targeting and you could outright slug a RB with your clinched fist and not get flagged......which DD did a few times. He's a guy I would love to have on my side in a bar fight. Another guy I would have on my top toughest list is Jimmy Webb. Never seen him get pushed backwards by an offensive lineman....ever! Dude was country-strong stout!! And my Dad used to tell me about those older players back in the 1930's and 1940s when they didn't wear facemasks. I imagine many of those who were missing teeth and were put right back into the game were pretty doggone tough. Current day....yeah Fitz and Dak IMO were both tough players and I appreciate everything they have done for our university. Almost forgot Kent Hull (thanks Tusk). Ask Jim Kelly about him.....Jim said once, the reason he was able to walk normally in retirement from the Buffalo Bills was due to Kent Hull keeping all those big nose tackles off his ass. Jim and Kent were best of friends.

I was remiss .... Dak took a bad beating in 2015 vs Bammer in the 1st Half... I went to that game and was terribly impressed at his resilience...

TaleofTwoDogs
11-24-2018, 01:13 AM
Is Fitz the Toughest Player in MSU History?

It's all relative. Fitz is a tough SOB but State has had its share of tough SOBs over the years. Wayne Jones in the late 60's, early 70's was the toughest RB I had seen wearing the maroon & white. The list of players is truly extensive.

Liverpooldawg
11-24-2018, 02:25 AM
Wayne Madkin played over half a season with a pin implanted in a finger of his throwing hand. The finger was broken an they put the pin down n to immobilize it. It was locked into a shape that enabled him to grip and throw the ball.

gravedigger
11-24-2018, 09:37 AM

Kid laid his balls, ankles, & head on the line every Saturday for 3 straight years.

I feel like history will always view him as the "other guy", due to being between Dak & whoever JoMo's GUY will be, but I don't think he should be viewed that way.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a tougher human suit up for Mississippi State in my lifetime.

Perhaps down the road there should be an award created in his honor that goes to the toughest player on the team.

No.

Billy Jackson
RJ McKenna
Barren Simpson
Jerious Norwood
Jack Nix

tcdog70
11-24-2018, 12:44 PM
Fitz not only tough, but Him and Relf were Reb destroyers. The only way they could stop Fitz is break his ankle. Relf also has to be top 5 toughest player ever. The fact that just killed Ole Miss makes me love them all the more.

You youngster might not remember Hoyle Granger, he might be the in the top 5. Has there ever been a Bulldog besides Him to rush for 1000 yards in the pros?

Goldendawg
11-24-2018, 01:08 PM
Fitz not only tough, but Him and Relf were Reb destroyers. The only way they could stop Fitz is break his ankle. Relf also has to be top 5 toughest player ever. The fact that just killed Ole Miss makes me love them all the more.

You youngster might not remember Hoyle Granger, he might be the in the top 5. Has there ever been a Bulldog besides Him to rush for 1000 yards in the pros?

I was just a boy, but didn't Granger run for a long TD the first carry he had for the Houston Oilers?

was21
11-24-2018, 02:11 PM
If he's not, he'll damn sure do till one gets here

LC Dawg
11-24-2018, 05:11 PM
Henig. That kid took a beating.

So did Fant. I still cringe thinking about some of the shots he took.

AlmostPositive
11-24-2018, 07:28 PM
Fitz's place in the MSU sports pantheon is only surpassed by Dak. His detractors should be ashamed of themselves.

Lord McBuckethead
11-24-2018, 08:39 PM
Don't forget Relf. That dude played when they allowed Auburn, Bama, and LSU take direct shots at that dude. He also may have played one of the best complete games I have ever seen by a MSU QB when he played Michigan. He pretty much had one incompletion and executed a flawless gameplan against a heisman candidate and completely waxed them.

Lord McBuckethead
11-24-2018, 08:43 PM

I wish Relf was around the program more often. Loved that guy.

SouthMSDog
11-24-2018, 08:53 PM

Omar Conner. That dude laid it on the line, no matter his position, for some really bad teams. I would have loved to see him play QB under Muffin.

Political Hack
11-24-2018, 10:17 PM
So did Fant. I still cringe thinking about some of the shots he took.

Yep. Other than Henig, Fant definitely took the 2nd worst beating at QB out of any of the modern day QBs. Fitz is tough as nails, but there's a big difference between being a punisher and being punished. Fitz is a punisher. The other two got punished.

Political Hack
11-24-2018, 10:19 PM
Omar Conner. That dude laid it on the line, no matter his position, for some really bad teams. I would have loved to see him play QB under Muffin.

Love Omar too. He got misused here. I honestly haven't seen State misuse a lot of guys, but he was one of them. I think Tyler Russell was another.

NWADAWG
11-24-2018, 10:25 PM
Jason Wisner gets my vote. but gotta give Nick props.

Wisner was the strongest ever I would think but don't remember him fighting through injuries or anything like that. It's been a few years so highly possible I have just forgot.

Political Hack
11-24-2018, 10:28 PM
Wisner was the strongest ever I would think but don't remember him fighting through injuries or anything like that. It's been a few years so highly possible I have just forgot.

If I'm not mistaken he won the strongest man in the world contest or something like that. Could lift a car.

lastmajordog
11-24-2018, 11:21 PM
delete

lastmajordog
11-24-2018, 11:24 PM
John bond was as tough as they come period. Nicoe W playing without an ACL and basically winning the season.......Steve lawrence and Stan Black and Johnny cook. Dizenso Miller........and I know y?all will disagree......but WILEY PECK has to be in there also...it may have been basketball but if you never saw him play UNM......well.....you need to

tcdog70
11-24-2018, 11:58 PM
I was just a boy, but didn't Granger run for a long TD the first carry he had for the Houston Oilers?

Big Hoyle, ran for 1000 with the Oilers and made all pro. Also Ode Burrell played for the Oilers.