PDA

View Full Version : It's easy to see why the BearSharks are desperate now- the money has

Coach34
10-18-2013, 08:56 AM
turned in the state of Mississippi.

We just built a state of the art IPF with offices.
We are almost done expanding the stadium which now holds more than theirs
Somebody has apparently written a check to get the ball rolling on a DNF renovation because that has started full steam ahead.
We took in around 18MM more in revenue than they did for 2012.

Meanwhile they have to borrow the whole amount to build a new basketball arena

And they call us "the poors"?

smootness
10-18-2013, 09:12 AM
The Mississippi State fanbase has finally gone all-in on improving athletics.

I believe Ole Miss hired a good AD, but he can't do anything by himself. It seems clear their fanbase still doesn't care enough.

codeDawg
10-18-2013, 09:14 AM

Don't forget the Leo Seal Jr. Football Complex.

smootness
10-18-2013, 09:18 AM

I think that's what he was talking about. But the basketball complex should be mentioned as well.

CJDAWG85
10-18-2013, 09:25 AM
All of their money is in the slush fund.

PassInterference
10-18-2013, 09:41 AM
All of their money is in the slush fund.

Ole Miss crootin picked up about the time Forward Rebels didn't have to buy any more full page newspaper ads.

MadDawg
10-18-2013, 09:48 AM
Where did the money go?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/16/ex-lawyer-dickie-scruggs-asks-to-return-to-prison-after-losing-key-appeal/

messageboardsuperhero
10-18-2013, 09:50 AM
I think this "poor ole MSU" mentality is really hurting our fanbase right now. This isn't the same school as it was 5-10 years ago.

I just looked up the numbers, and our athletics revenue has increased from $30 mil. in 2008 to almost $70 mil. in 2012. That's a 133% growth rate in the last 4-5 years alone. Some of our fans need to quit with all the bullshit "we can't have nice things 'cause we're MSU" attitude, because our athletics department and University are growing exponentially right now. We'll also generate more money next year with the football expansion.

With the amount of graduates we're churning out and the salaries they're making, I expect us to continue growing too. Sure, we aren't Alabama or anything, but we definitely deserve more credit/respect than people give us, especially from our own fans. And FYI, our athletics revenue has increased by $40 mil./year since 2008 while UM's has only increased by about $16 mil. since '08. Here are the links as proof:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/revenue/_/page/1

FlabLoser
10-18-2013, 10:21 AM
I think this "poor ole MSU" mentality is really hurting our fanbase right now. This isn't the same school as it was 5-10 years ago.

I just looked up the numbers, and our athletics revenue has increased from $30 mil. in 2008 to almost $70 mil. in 2012.

That needs to be framed. And we need to carve out $1M to upgrade our coordinators. We can't constantly be using up & comers who either get hired away or don't pan out. Especially on the defensive side.

maroonmania
10-18-2013, 11:11 AM

Yep, you are correct, it is truly a football complex and not an IPF. No practice areas in the Seal complex. As far as I know the football team still goes to the Palmeiro center if they are forced inside.

smootness
10-18-2013, 12:17 PM
I really don't think there's a whole lot of the 'poor ol' MSU' mentality at this point. I do think there are plenty who understand that while we have certainly grown in terms of revenue and been able to build bigger and better, we are still behind the 8 ball in the conference in which we compete.

Being in the SEC is a huge advantage; but the disadvantage is that you're directly competing with everyone else in the conference. It's obvious we can do more than we have been able to in the past because we're actively doing it...Seal complex, basketball facility, DWS expansion, and talks of a possible DNF re-do. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't still have an understanding of exactly where we stand relative to everyone else we're competing against.

We shouldn't let it hold us back...meaning that we should still strive to be the best in everything we do. But without also having a realistic knowledge of where everyone else is comparatively, you can begin to badmouth the administration, think that the people in place aren't good enough, and can potentially harm yourself.

Take Rick Ray, for example. There are some fans who seem to be under the assumption that we could have brought in a big-time name for our basketball program. Well, I'm not so sure of that. We have a good program and we're in the SEC...but compared to most programs in the major conferences, we can't offer more than most of them.

That doesn't mean we don't hold Ray to a high standard or just keep him even if he isn't winning because 'we can't do any better'...but it does mean that we don't jump all over him because he isn't a bigger name and give him time (more time than a school like Kentucky or Florida) to build the program to where he wants it to be.

maroonmania
10-18-2013, 12:43 PM
I really don't think there's a whole lot of the 'poor ol' MSU' mentality at this point. I do think there are plenty who understand that while we have certainly grown in terms of revenue and been able to build bigger and better, we are still behind the 8 ball in the conference in which we compete.

Being in the SEC is a huge advantage; but the disadvantage is that you're directly competing with everyone else in the conference. It's obvious we can do more than we have been able to in the past because we're actively doing it...Seal complex, basketball facility, DWS expansion, and talks of a possible DNF re-do. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't still have an understanding of exactly where we stand relative to everyone else we're competing against.

We shouldn't let it hold us back...meaning that we should still strive to be the best in everything we do. But without also having a realistic knowledge of where everyone else is comparatively, you can begin to badmouth the administration, think that the people in place aren't good enough, and can potentially harm yourself.

Take Rick Ray, for example. There are some fans who seem to be under the assumption that we could have brought in a big-time name for our basketball program. Well, I'm not so sure of that. We have a good program and we're in the SEC...but compared to most programs in the major conferences, we can't offer more than most of them.

That doesn't mean we don't hold Ray to a high standard or just keep him even if he isn't winning because 'we can't do any better'...but it does mean that we don't jump all over him because he isn't a bigger name and give him time (more time than a school like Kentucky or Florida) to build the program to where he wants it to be.

Biggest thing holding us down at this point is not revenue or money, its population and recruiting base. If we had a great football tradition we could overcome that by pulling in enough upper talent from out of state but we don't so we can't. In baseball we absolutely can. I liken it to South Carolina who is now overcoming a dismal past, like ours, because they have the population base near the school to do so and the recruits they use to lose to Georgia, TN, Clemson and other ACC schools are now staying home. Just not great depth of SEC talent in MS and a lot of what we have is very underdeveloped coming into college. But its hard to take top players from other SEC states when you aren't an SEC big dog unless you go the ALL IN method like OM and Auburn.

smootness
10-18-2013, 01:07 PM
I agree with you. Money could overcome some of that; we could make the program so attractive in terms of facilities and coaching that our history and recruiting base would be less of an issue (Oregon and Oklahoma State have done this, though I don't see any Phil Knights at our disposal).

But usually the money follows the success, and it's just hard to build to the top if you start at the bottom.

It would also help immensely if we could pull a majority of the in-state talent. As things stand now, I don't expect us or Ole Miss to ever do that consistently. There's just little to separate us. Facilities are fairly close (though they now have to catch up to us here, I think), location is similar, recent history is similar, same division/conference. It would take one of us dominating the other and having consistent success for a while before you really started to see recruiting domination year in and year out.

South Carolina is helped because they at least have the prospect of playing in the SEC to hang over Clemson, so when a Clowney or Lattimore shows up, they have an edge.

mic
10-18-2013, 03:57 PM
We are also in process of given the tennis complex a facelift...

HailState39110
10-18-2013, 08:57 PM
turned in the state of Mississippi.

We are almost done expanding the stadium which now holds more than theirs
Somebody has apparently written a check to get the ball rolling on a DNF renovation because that has started full steam ahead.
We took in around 18MM more in revenue than they did for 2012.

Meanwhile they have to borrow the whole amount to build a new basketball arena

And they call us "the poors"?

The money is about to really start pouring in for baseball. All I hear is we are about to go all in after this past season and we are planning for big,big things. The sleeping giant has awoken

Dawg61
10-18-2013, 09:13 PM
The money is about to really start pouring in for baseball. All I hear is we are about to go all in after this past season and we are planning for big,big things. The sleeping giant has awoken

Maybe MSU has finally approached its MLB alumni. Papelbon alone got a $50+ mill contract. Shoewalter has been the Orioles coach for awhile. Maybe Will Clark, Jeff Brantley and Palmeiro got on board?

RougeDawg
10-18-2013, 09:30 PM
As I've stated in multiple previous threads one fan base is all about winning in February and trying to one up their friends. All of their money is spent trying to buy the bigger better condo in Oxford, the newest biggest Mercedes, the next big recruits furniture of house, or the latest greatest ascot, chandelier in the grove, and matching sweater vest. The OM faithful are very short sighted and live for the moment.

I speak for myself, but I have been giving more than the minimum each year and have been upping my giving every year as my finances allow. Currently have 6 season tickets. I get the feeling that most other fans are doing the same since Mullen has been there. I didn't graduate until 08 so I've been go come back 6 years now, and plan on putting more in each year as long as we keep heading on the current path.

messageboardsuperhero
10-18-2013, 11:39 PM

I've got a feeling we're about to spend more on our new baseball facility than anyone else ever has in the history of college baseball. LSU spent about $38 mil. on New Alex Box, and my gut says we're probably about to drop $40 mil. or more.

Shit's getting real in baseball.

engie
10-18-2013, 11:51 PM
I've got a feeling we're about to spend more on our new baseball facility than anyone else ever has in the history of college baseball. LSU spent about $38 mil. on New Alex Box, and my gut says we're probably about to drop $40 mil. or more.

Shit's getting real in baseball.

What do we call the place?

Name it after the highest donor? Sell naming rights(I'd think a legitimate possibility if it's the best in the history of college baseball -- particularly with the new exposure of the SECNetwork)? Do we put Polk's name back on it?

I don't mean to bring this up in terms of putting the cart before the horse -- but something will have to be done with the Hump at some point before too long as well...provided the program turns. We are leaving a bunch of money on the table without clubs/suites...

Given our growth pattern and our "ceiling" given the new revenue streams that will be incoming, I think it's logical to place a goal of being a top 25 athletics revenue school by 2017... at which point, our excuses wear very thin...

Bothrops
10-19-2013, 12:40 AM
OM folks are still ignoring the fact that we have a new football building and that our stadium expansion is adding amenities that no one else in the league has at the moment. Wait till it gets showcased and they have to eat that reality! We will be watchIng the rest of the SEC copy us in different ways for years to come. That is a first for football!

DCdawg
10-19-2013, 12:58 AM

Name it after the highest donor? Sell naming rights(I'd think a legitimate possibility if it's the best in the history of college baseball -- particularly with the new exposure of the SECNetwork)? Do we put Polk's name back on it?

I don't mean to bring this up in terms of putting the cart before the horse -- but something will have to be done with the Hump at some point before too long as well...provided the program turns. We are leaving a bunch of money on the table without clubs/suites...

Given our growth pattern and our "ceiling" given the new revenue streams that will be incoming, I think it's logical to place a goal of being a top 25 athletics revenue school by 2017... at which point, our excuses wear very thin...

That's an interesting question. I hope the field stays known as Dudy Noble Field but I could see the stadium being renamed. I think it would be neat to have different parts of the new park named after former great players. For instance, Will Clark plaza or things like that.

dickiedawg
10-19-2013, 04:39 AM
That's an interesting question. I hope the field stays known as Dudy Noble Field but I could see the stadium being renamed. I think it would be neat to have different parts of the new park named after former great players. For instance, Will Clark plaza or things like that.
I was wondering this earlier. It will definitely remain Dudy Noble Field, and that's how I'll refer to it. But I could see us selling the naming rights to the stadium (C-Spire Park?). Personally I wouldn't like to see it called Polk-Dement but if I were to bet on it that would probably be the favorite. Then again, naming things after donors is always an option, too.

Eta: I say it will definitely remain DNF, but if they happen to move the location all bets are off. I find this unlikely, but we don't know much at this point.

messageboardsuperhero
10-19-2013, 07:30 AM

That's a good question that I haven't thought about. If it's the same location, I'd assume the actual field would still be Dudy-Noble. As far as the actual stadium though, all bets are off. At this point, I don't think you can put Polk's name back on it. He's been trashing the program for five years while we've given him chance after chance to come back around, so he's missed his opportunity.

I'd be fine with us selling the rights to the stadium or naming it after the highest donor, and I also like the idea of naming different parts of the stadium after famous players. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

Political Hack
10-19-2013, 08:14 AM
fixing the Hump should be relatively easy. All you have to do is turn the current concessions and offices in the outer circle into suites and club seats. You build new concessions on the outside of the building with a window into the ring. Also streamlines delivery of concessions and reduces congestion in the walk areas. The only question is whether they want to add more seats, but I don't see the need to do that. the midweek early season games have poor attendance, is empty for the women's games, and other successful programs (eg Duke) don't need a big arena to make money.

cujo
10-19-2013, 08:26 AM
It won't be Polk - Dement again. Dement was the major donor for the 1987 grandstand project who no one had ever heard of before just like Davis Wade came out of nowhere to grab naming rights for football stadium.

FlabLoser
10-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Did y'all know there is a big lawsuit going on now because Murphy Adkins had a dying altzhimer's patient change his will from leaving millions to MSU into leaving it all to Murphy.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20130929/NEWS01/309290037/

engie
10-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Did y'all know there is a big lawsuit going on now because Murphy Adkins had a dying altzhimer's patient change his will from leaving millions to MSU into leaving it all to Murphy.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20130929/NEWS01/309290037/

Yeah, I saw it last time. Total shit. MSU gonna win that one...