PDA

View Full Version : James Franklin to USC

Goose Willis
11-21-2018, 12:09 PM
A big topic today in the world of college football is the possibility of James Franklin leaving Penn State to coach at USC. If he were to take that job, do yall think Joe Moorhead would be a top prospect for the Penn State HC job? And if so, does he take it and bring the whole coaching staff with him.

bulldawg28
11-21-2018, 12:11 PM
Yes he would leave and take the entire staff with him.

Bully13
11-21-2018, 12:11 PM
JOMO To USC for OC

fader2103
11-21-2018, 12:12 PM
I think he could very well be a top prospect for the job. The people of Penn State loved him while he was there. If Bob Shoop doesn't leave for a HC I could see him going with him, since Shoop is also from around that area. Also the entire offensive staff except for Hudspeth.

Also I heard Luke Getsy is mentioned for the Bowling Green job I think.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-21-2018, 12:14 PM
https://media.tenor.com/images/c3b7d1902872b7427a2ab2d2aaea8881/tenor.gif

msstate7
11-21-2018, 12:14 PM
https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?70959-Who-does-usc-hire

I said they should call him (Franklin) 2 weeks ago. I'd still call stoops, Riley, and frost first

ETA... I'd be pretty shocked if penn state called joe. Joe hasn't exactly killed it here this season, and he's a rookie coach. Penn st is a premier job. I think they could get a much more proven commodity

Dawgology
11-21-2018, 12:15 PM
A big topic today in the world of college football is the possibility of James Franklin leaving Penn State to coach at USC. If he were to take that job, do yall think Joe Moorhead would be a top prospect for the Penn State HC job? And if so, does he take it and bring the whole coaching staff with him.

Nice 7th post. You guys have to try to slow us down anyway don't you.

WSOPdawg
11-21-2018, 12:18 PM

Winner, winner. That's become the track record for the past 5 years -- throw this BS out as the end of season nears.

Commercecomet24
11-21-2018, 12:19 PM

Rep given

Lord McBuckethead
11-21-2018, 12:20 PM

Why would a coach being successful at Penn State move to USC? That makes zero sense.

Lord McBuckethead
11-21-2018, 12:21 PM
I heard Luke may be considered for a position at waffle house.

msstatelp1
11-21-2018, 12:22 PM
I think an Egg Bowl win and a post season bowl win would put him in the upper tier. Penn State would know what they're getting and many on here would be happy to see JoMo gone. He would definitely take the ones he had coached with before.

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2018, 12:22 PM
If Moorhead left, if would further affirm that it's virtually impossible to change the level of your program in today's college football due to coaches changing jobs.

Not that I blame them, but you simply can't change your trajectory without coaching stability. I understand why Moorhead would take that job, but it would be completely unfair to MSU to have to go through this back to back years due to no fault of our own. Completely unfair.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-21-2018, 12:23 PM
It's amazing to me that everyone wants MSU coaches every year, but yet no one wants ole miss coaches. I wonder why that is?

msstate7
11-21-2018, 12:23 PM
Why would a coach being successful at Penn State move to USC? That makes zero sense.

He's in a division with Michigan, Michigan st, and Ohio st. Much easier path to the playoffs at usc. Better recruiting grounds. Franklin has been on hot seat already too, so might be more security. California, baby... he was born in Pennsylvania though

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2018, 12:24 PM

To reset the clock and USC is a better job than Penn State.

Winning big at Penn State will always be an uphill battle vs Ohio State and Michigan whereas, from a recruiting standpoint, USC has no rivals in the PAC 12.

msstatelp1
11-21-2018, 12:26 PM
If Moorhead left, if would further affirm that it's virtually impossible to change the level of your program in today's college football due to coaches changing jobs.

Not that I blame them, but you simply can't change your trajectory without coaching stability. I understand why Moorhead would take that job, but it would be completely unfair to MSU to have to go through this back to back years due to no fault of our own. Completely unfair.

Well given the HUGE amount of support this board has shown JoMo this year, I can't imagine why he'd ever want to leave***

msstate7
11-21-2018, 12:26 PM

Winning big at Penn State will always be an uphill battle vs Ohio State and Michigan whereas, from a recruiting standpoint, USC has no rivals in the PAC 12.
Chip kelly may have something to say about that, but yeah, usc better path and program

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-21-2018, 12:28 PM

Lynn Swann is the AD, I bet he goes with Jeff Fisher or Jack Del Rio.

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2018, 12:29 PM
Well given the HUGE amount of support this board has shown JoMo this year, I can't imagine why he'd ever want to leave***

I don't think JoMo has been treated unfairly at all or any differently that any other fan base would've treated him.

msstate7
11-21-2018, 12:30 PM
I think Dino babers would be pursued by penn st over Moorhead

ShotgunDawg

Agree.

ShotgunDawg
I think Dino babers would be pursued by penn st over Moorhead

Why?

dawgday166
11-21-2018, 12:31 PM
Chip kelly may have something to say about that, but yeah, usc better path and program

Not really if USC gets an upper tier coach and recruiter. USC would dominate then. Kelly may have a year here and there tho. USC out in Pac12 is like Bama in SEC really ... just need the coaching to go with it.

Sorta like saying USC can compete with UCLA in basketball if UCLA has an upper tier coach and recruiter.

Commercecomet24
11-21-2018, 12:32 PM
Franklin has said that Penn State is his dream job. But of course money changes everything. Swann is going to want a West Coaster and I can't see Franklin leaving PSU.

msstate7
11-21-2018, 12:33 PM
Why?

He's been good at 3 spots now (eastern Illinois, bowling green, and Syracuse).

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2018, 12:34 PM
He's been good at 3 spots now (eastern Illinois, bowling green, and Syracuse).

But Moorhead has already worked there with their personnel. I think choosing Babers over Moorhead would be an awful decision

msstate7
11-21-2018, 12:35 PM
But Moorhead has already worked there with their personnel. I think choosing Babers over Moorhead would be an awful decision

Maybe. I think babers and clawson at wake are much more proven though

ETA... Moorhead's job this year is blah as it gets. He took over a very good team.

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2018, 12:38 PM
Maybe. I think babers and clawson at wake are much more proven though

Yeah but you don't have the growing pains with Moorhead & he already has buy in from the players.

I'd agree with you if it was another school. Like, if the Notre Dame job came open, I'd completely understand hiring Babers over JoMo, but not at Penn State. Would be completely overthinking it IMO

99jc
11-21-2018, 12:40 PM
Please Lord deliver us from JOMO.

Jack Lambert
11-21-2018, 12:40 PM

If I was Penn state I would make a push to join the ACC or Big 12.

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2018, 12:42 PM
I want JoMo to stay & build.

I like him & believe he can do big things here, even though I'm slightly disappointed with how long it took him implement his offense this year.

MSU is not a school that can afford to change coaches every year. If we are going to change our trajectory a level, we've got to have stability.

Commercecomet24
11-21-2018, 12:42 PM
Mullen to USC and Penn State****

Johnson85
11-21-2018, 01:02 PM
Yeah but you don't have the growing pains with Moorhead & he already has buy in from the players.

I'd agree with you if it was another school. Like, if the Notre Dame job came open, I'd completely understand hiring Babers over JoMo, but not at Penn State. Would be completely overthinking it IMO

Moorhead's only head coaching experience is at Fordham, where he did great but it's a low level, and now coming on a year at MSU, where he hasnt really been here long enough to judge him on anything, but to the extent you do give him credit/blame for this year, it's not helpful to his case.

They may be impressed enough with him from his time there that he is a candidate, but it would be a high risk hire compared to a proven head coach, which while PSU is definitely not the job it once was, I think they can still probably get?

Cooterpoot
11-21-2018, 01:09 PM
Franklin is from PA. Penn St is his dream job. And if you don't think Penn St has as much money as USC to throw around, then you don't know much about Penn St. I've got some connections there. I'll see what they say.

Dawgology
11-21-2018, 01:40 PM
Frankline isn't going anywhere and neither is Moorhead for the time being.

Dawgowar
11-21-2018, 01:48 PM
Per Twitter Helton getting another year.

Johnson85
11-21-2018, 01:50 PM
Franklin is from PA. Penn St is his dream job. And if you don't think Penn St has as much money as USC to throw around, then you don't know much about Penn St. I've got some connections there. I'll see what they say.

I don't doubt that Penn St is his dream job, but there is a reason people want to live in southern california, and he would presumably make enough that all the negatives (primarily high taxes and HCOL) aren't that big of a deal.

But he'd probably really have to want to get out of PSU or USC would have to pay way more than they or the PAC 12 in general has historically for him to make the move. If there is any truth to USC pursuing him, I'm guessing they're not idiots and are ready to shell out close to $5M a year to be near his PSU.

Tbonewannabe
11-21-2018, 01:54 PM

That is the funny thing, Penn St has as much $$$ as USCw. The only reason to go there is if you think you need an easier path into the playoffs. Although Michigan is sitting at number 4 with 1 loss and Washington St is on the outside looking in with 1 loss. Most of these big time coaches wouldn't switch schools because they are afraid of competition.

Franklin is also from PA so he is basically at home.

Gutter Cobreh
11-21-2018, 01:59 PM

USC has always preferred to hire from those who have previously been in the program. With the changes within the Athletic Dept. that may no longer be the case, but they cherish their Trojan past. I would highly doubt that when they do make a change, they hire someone who hasn't been there before.

Franklin won at Vandy, so he'll consistently win at Penn State. They kept Paterno for years, so he's good. Don't see him leaving anytime soon.

Commercecomet24
11-21-2018, 02:00 PM

All of this for nothing lol

msstate7
11-21-2018, 02:03 PM
The more interesting potential coaching change to me is Ohio st. Who do they go after if urban does retire? I'd go all in on frost. I think frost is the next elite coach. Not sure frost would leave for anyone, but Ohio st is probably one of the few to make him think twice

fader2103
11-21-2018, 02:08 PM

You either read Bleacher Report, SB Nation or Footballscoop

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-21-2018, 03:38 PM
You either read Bleacher Report, SB Nation or Footballscoop

A quick google of USC candidates and their names popped up. Being that Swann played in the NFL and there are two former USC, former NFL coaches, it seems pretty logical....or I guess we can go the other route and start panicking over the slight possibility that Franklin would leave PSU and what that means for Moorhead and us.

RocketDawg
11-21-2018, 03:40 PM
A quick google of USC candidates and their names popped up. Being that Swann played in the NFL and there are two former USC, former NFL coaches, it seems pretty logical....or I guess we can go the other route and start panicking over the slight possibility that Franklin would leave PSU and what that means for Moorhead and us.

Based on the posts whenever we lose a game, most people here would be ecstatic if Moorhead left.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-21-2018, 03:43 PM
Based on the posts whenever we lose a game, most people here would be ecstatic if Moorhead left.

Yeah, until it means we go through another coaching change and then people change their tune. People did the same shit with Mullen.

Pit Bull
11-21-2018, 03:59 PM

Franklin is a native Pennsylvanian and Frost is a native Nebraskan. And both are at their absolute Dream jobs. Neither are leaving until they are run off.

RougeDawg
11-21-2018, 05:07 PM
All of this for nothing lol

This was a complete bearshart troll job. The only name I?ve seen to USC is Heart Murmor Meyer. He is having palpitations again and needs a change of climate.

MedDawg
11-21-2018, 06:25 PM
If I was Penn state I would make a push to join the ACC or Big 12.

Penn State fans haven't liked the Big Ten since the beginning, and many wish they could join the ACC.

Commercecomet24
11-21-2018, 06:30 PM
This was a complete bearshart troll job. The only name I?ve seen to USC is Heart Murmor Meyer. He is having palpitations again and needs a change of climate.

I believe you are correct my friend.

Fader21
11-21-2018, 06:48 PM
Meyer needs to just go back to G 5 or retire and coach HS ball. I dunno if this has ever happened but he might be the first coach to drop dead on the sideline.

Political Hack
11-21-2018, 06:53 PM
We love crazy season in starkvegas!

Political Hack
11-21-2018, 06:56 PM
1) someone check this guys post and ban the shit out of him if he's a rebel troll.

2) were not sure we want to keep him yet, so if someone wants him, have at it. Beat the daylights out of Ole Miss tomorrow and that tune will change though.

3) Franklin would be an idiot to leave Penn State for USC.

4) Ole Miss fans will stoop to nothing to hurt our recruiting.

RocketDawg
11-21-2018, 08:02 PM
Penn State fans haven't liked the Big Ten since the beginning, and many wish they could join the ACC.

They could always replace Missoui in the SEC.

TaleofTwoDogs
11-21-2018, 08:10 PM

Here's your lesson for today: There is no Santa Claus and life is not always fair or kind. Class dismissed.

TUSK
11-22-2018, 12:17 AM
Here's your lesson for today: There is no Santa Claus and life is not always fair or kind. Class dismissed.

Whoa there buddy.... You tellin' me there is no Saint Nick????

Bothrops
11-22-2018, 03:49 AM
This thread was such a joke

gravedigger
11-22-2018, 08:43 AM
Yes he would leave and take the entire staff with him.

Attention please! My mommy didn?t give me enough so now I?m stuck on social media saying stupid things to get it!

msbulldog
11-22-2018, 09:51 AM
Winner, winner. That's become the track record for the past 5 years -- throw this BS out as the end of season nears.

That's right, screw them! +1

msbulldog
11-22-2018, 09:55 AM
I heard Luke may be considered for a position at waffle house.

Waffle House can't afford Fat Luke, he would eat his way to bankrupting Waffle House.

Coursesuper
11-22-2018, 10:09 AM
I believe you are correct my friend.

Yes, this is a complete troll job and we are stupid enough to fall for this bullshit year after year after year. Mr. Not a Fan has you people by the short hairs and y?all don?t even know it.

32 Dive
11-22-2018, 10:18 AM

"Thanks for adding reputation to this user. May you be lucky enough to receive the same Reputation back in turn."

Saltydog
11-22-2018, 10:32 AM
with a better team than he has at UF and then bolted to his "dream job" from all accounts.

Dawgology
11-22-2018, 11:16 AM
with a better team than he has at UF and then bolted to his "dream job" from all accounts.

Yeah Mullen wasn’t known for his patience. Last year there were a lot of opening so he could demand a higher salary where he went due to all of the openings and limited quality candidates. There is no way he could have got the salary he got from Florida on a normal year. It was about the money for him more than anything else.