PDA

View Full Version : So Penny can recruit

msstate7
11-20-2018, 08:38 PM
Got James wiseman (5-star center, #1 overall player).

Ifyouonlyknew
11-20-2018, 09:04 PM
If he couldn't pull him he was going to be in trouble. He was Wiseman Hs & AAU coach. He's going to lock up Memphis. We'll see how he does outside that footprint or if he will even need to.

Westdawg
11-20-2018, 09:34 PM
He will be able to find a lot of serious talent in Memphis, Nashville, and even stretch up into St Louis and Little Rock. He won't need to go much outside of that footprint, except to find a big man every other year if there's not one in the MidSouth region.

Bully13
11-20-2018, 09:40 PM
Penny was going to be a top recruiter. That was never in question. You still have to work the floor though.

DancingRabbit
11-20-2018, 09:59 PM
Looks like Kentucky and Kansas will need to find another pipeline.

Maroonthirteen
11-20-2018, 11:10 PM
He will be able to find a lot of serious talent in Memphis, Nashville, and even stretch up into St Louis and Little Rock. He won't need to go much outside of that footprint, except to find a big man every other year if there's not one in the MidSouth region.

Hahahaha. Hahahahaha. Hahahaha. No decent kid from Nashville is moving to Memphis without some serious incentive. Little Rock either. It will take Derrick Rose type shenanigans.

Westdawg
11-20-2018, 11:20 PM
Hahahaha. Hahahahaha. Hahahaha. No decent kid from Nashville is moving to Memphis without some serious incentive. Little Rock either. It will take Derrick Rose type shenanigans.

I don't know much, but I do know a lot about Memphis and MidSouth recruiting - coached in that area for a while.
If there is one thing that U of Mem boosters open up the wallet for, it's basketball. I would liken it to to Auburn football. When they want a player, and the coach is willing to be complicit or blind to their doings, they will get whoever they want. There's money in Memphis the likes few of us have seen, and they only care about basketball.
If they actually gave a rip about football, they could make some serious noise there, as well.

DancingRabbit
11-20-2018, 11:24 PM

Well, Wiseman moved from Nashville to play H.S. ball for Penny.

Pit Bull
11-21-2018, 12:22 AM
If he couldn't pull him he was going to be in trouble. He was Wiseman Hs & AAU coach. He's going to lock up Memphis. We'll see how he does outside that footprint or if he will even need to.

He wont need to unless their is a specific piece he needs outside the Memphis area. Memphis area is second to none in highschool basketball talent available.....and that includes areas like NY City, Philadelphia, PA, and even Los Angeles to a certain extent. I was told by a very reliable source, that there is enough D-1 talent in the Memphis area to support 7-8 P5 teams. All Penny has to do is get the top 3-4 players, ie…..the cream of the cream, and he will be in really good shape. He's got a decent coaching staff, so they should be able to put together a good plan to use all that talent. They are getting ready to be really formidable in the near future. And Calipari now knows he just can't come back to his old stomping grounds and get who he wants.....he has to go through Penny first.

Pit Bull
11-21-2018, 12:30 AM
I don't know much, but I do know a lot about Memphis and MidSouth recruiting - coached in that area for a while.
If there is one thing that U of Mem boosters open up the wallet for, it's basketball. I would liken it to to Auburn football. When they want a player, and the coach is willing to be complicit or blind to their doings, they will get whoever they want. There's money in Memphis the likes few of us have seen, and they only care about basketball.
If they actually gave a rip about football, they could make some serious noise there, as well.

Not sure they will have to open their wallets....but yeah, they could and would if need be. Penny being an NBA superstar and Mike Miller, another well known former NBA player on his staff are dern near all the recruiting magnets they need. Plus, I think they have another coach on their staff who was a former NBA HC.....forgot his name. Kids react to all that. Will be interesting to see if it all can come together the way Tiger fans think it will.

Ari Gold
11-21-2018, 09:38 AM

Exactly..
It was about like freeze pulling The blind side kid .
Done deal from day one

thf24
11-21-2018, 09:52 AM
Penny was going to be a top recruiter. That was never in question. You still have to work the floor though.

He's doing pretty well in that area as well thus far given the talent (or lack thereof) he inherited.

People who shit talk Memphis are no different than those who claim Starkville is a one-horse town with nothing to do.

Maroonthirteen
11-21-2018, 10:22 AM
He's doing pretty well in that area as well thus far given the talent (or lack thereof) he inherited.

People who shit talk Memphis are no different than those who claim Starkville is a one-horse town with nothing to do.

And inversely the same people are insecure and defensive.

As I said..... without some preexisting relationship....and FedEx money.... Anfrene isn’t going to recruit up against Kentucky duke etc as Tiger High fans think.

DancingRabbit
11-21-2018, 10:52 AM
Calipari has been recruiting Wiseman for 4 years. Wiseman has been with Penny for about a year and a half. Only lately has it been a clear Memphis lean. Kid is from Nashville and moved to Memphis last year.

Penny isn't going to start beating out Coach K for national recruits but he can lock down Memphis enough to build a good program.

StarkVegasSteve
11-21-2018, 11:19 AM
He can recruit all he wants. Hell Pastner pulled down top 5 classes on the regular his first few years. It's all about whether he can coach and I don't believe he can at this level. Fortunately for him, he'll get way more time than any normal coach would get because the media will never turn on him because they'd have to admit they were wrong. Geoff Calkins, Chris Vernon, Gary Parrish, etc. have been openly calling for him to get the job for the last few years. As long as he puts them in the tourney they'll die on the hill that he's the greatest thing to happen to Memphis since Cal.

Dawg61
11-21-2018, 11:34 AM
He wont need to unless their is a specific piece he needs outside the Memphis area. Memphis area is second to none in highschool basketball talent available.....and that includes areas like NY City, Philadelphia, PA, and even Los Angeles to a certain extent. I was told by a very reliable source, that there is enough D-1 talent in the Memphis area to support 7-8 P5 teams. All Penny has to do is get the top 3-4 players, ie…..the cream of the cream, and he will be in really good shape. He's got a decent coaching staff, so they should be able to put together a good plan to use all that talent. They are getting ready to be really formidable in the near future. And Calipari now knows he just can't come back to his old stomping grounds and get who he wants.....he has to go through Penny first.

"Hey Opum careful you don't step in the bullshit." Memphis HS basketball is good but your post is just straight ruhtarded start to finish.

Pit Bull
11-21-2018, 04:08 PM
"Hey Opum careful you don't step in the bullshit." Memphis HS basketball is good but your post is just straight ruhtarded start to finish.

Glad you read it.....must mean your posts are really downright shitty. Of course most of us already knew that.

Dawg61
11-22-2018, 12:16 AM
Glad you read it.....must mean your posts are really downright shitty. Of course most of us already knew that.

You said Memphis population of 652,000 with a greater area population of 1.3 mill somehow magically has more basketball talent than Los Angeles and New York city every single year. You also said that Memphis talent can field 100 Power 5 level talents per year. Not just D1 talent but power 5 HAHA!! Internet is kryptonite to bullshit artists.

Maroonthirteen
11-22-2018, 06:47 AM
But.... it’s Penny man. His grandma fed him king cotton. He’s from Memphis