PDA

View Full Version : The NCAA just approve Slush funds.... Pandora's Box has been opened

Coach007
11-20-2018, 02:12 PM
<PLEASE KEEP THE POLITICS AND RELIGIOUS TALK OUT OF THIS>

This seems to be serious. In a nutshell, the NCAA ruled that a student athlete can keep her GoFundMe donations due to her hardship.

After hearing about Scheck?s dire situation, her teammate Grace Hausladen started a GoFundMe campaign earlier this month to help raise money so Scheck could pay for her basic living expenses.

?Emily has no home, and has no family supporting her,? Hausladen wrote on the "For Emily, Let her be herself" GoFundMe page. ?In 2019, she will no longer be on her parents health care plan and will have a whole new set of expenses to be covered. She was kicked out of her home for being herself. No one deserves to have their home and siblings taken away from them for being their true selves. Though she has made a new home in Buffalo through her teammates and her girlfriend, Justyna, we can no longer stand by and do nothing.?

The fundraising campaign quickly surpassed its initial $5,000 goal, but there was a problem: accepting the donated funds was in violation of National Collegiate Athletic Association rules.

?Sadly, because both Emily and I are both Division I runners, accepting this money means we are not longer eligible to run for Canisius College's Cross Country and Track programs due to the regulations of the NCAA,?

So the NCAA stepped in and ruled... it's ok.

But on Nov. 16, the same day Outsports first reported Scheck?s story, the NCAA had a change of heart.

?Emily Scheck can retain her eligibility and continue to receive GoFundMe donations that assist her with living and educational expenses,? the association shared via Twitter on Friday. ?NCAA staff worked with Canisius College to provide guidance that the fundraiser can continue with school monitoring and will continue to assist as needed. NCAA rules and waiver precedent allow a school to assist a student-athlete with a fundraiser after a significant life event occurs.?

So now, we can recruit on the basis of hardship using public funds....

Coach007
11-20-2018, 02:13 PM
https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/ncaa-athlete-disowned-family-able-keep-gofundme-donations-n938021

Really Clark?
11-20-2018, 02:17 PM
That’s not exactly what they said. There has to be a significant life event to trigger the hardship and it’s going to be a case by case basis. I see where the concern comes from and the idea it’s a slippery slope. But this is a case with someone who is already a student athlete not a recruit

Martianlander
11-20-2018, 02:29 PM
All the unm players will need a GoFundMe for their stubbed toes.

Coach007
11-20-2018, 02:31 PM
I 100% disagree. There's sooo many loopholes that ruling.

1- "hey... we know you have a tough time.. sign with us, we will get you a gofundme account and our boosters will gladly help you out"

2- "I want to go to college and have an offere to play... but sadly.. I can't afford it. This gofundme will allow me to pursue my education and play the sport I love"

Really Clark?
11-20-2018, 02:49 PM
I 100% disagree. There's sooo many loopholes that ruling.

1- "hey... we know you have a tough time.. sign with us, we will get you a gofundme account and our boosters will gladly help you out"

2- "I want to go to college and have an offere to play... but sadly.. I can't afford it. This gofundme will allow me to pursue my education and play the sport I love"

There are already aid and grants set up for financial hardships...being poor is not going to be an exemption with this ruling. There has to be a significant life event to trigger it...being poor while a hardship is not the same thing. Each student athlete that goes this route will have to get a waiver from the NCAA and there will be checks on why, the amount you receive, etc.

Was there anything in that ruling that exempts recruits? This is for student athletes not prospective student athletes. It was about her retaining eligibility. Recruiting rules and impermissible benefits are completely different and still apply

Coach007
11-20-2018, 02:54 PM
There are already aid and grants set up for financial hardships...being poor is not going to be an exemption with this ruling. There has to be a significant life event to trigger it...being poor while a hardship is not the same thing. Each student athlete that goes this route will have to get a waiver from the NCAA and there will be checks on why, the amount you receive, etc.

Was there anything in that ruling that exempts recruits? This is for student athletes not prospective student athletes. It was about her retaining eligibility. Recruiting rules and impermissible benefits are completely different and still apply

As of Monday afternoon, 1,667 people had helped raise nearly $65,000 for Emily Scheck.

3- "My parents decided they were against my major.... they refuse to help now"

4- "My Dad left my Mom..... "

Man if you can't see that this is a major issue, you are not looking at it through reality.

Really Clark?
11-20-2018, 03:06 PM
As of Monday afternoon, 1,667 people had helped raise nearly $65,000 for Emily Scheck.

3- "My parents decided they were against my major.... they refuse to help now"

4- "My Dad left my Mom..... "

Man if you can't see that this is a major issue, you are not looking at it through reality.

Well now you are changing the examples...you first kept trying to bring recruiting into this case.

In my first post I said I can see where people are concern and what could be a slippery slope. Your first example in this post is not an event that would trigger this either.

Your example about the Dad leaving mom, not getting into the normal legal issue that he is still responsible for the child, divorce, etc., but assumption is he is gone and has also cut off the child. The student athlete will have to apply for a waiver and have it approved and monitored. Is there concern for abuse, absolutely, you think SEC crazies networks won’t be constantly monitoring go fund me for potential violations by donors to student athletes? That the Steve, Yancy, Finebaum’s of the world wont monitor that stuff (or have staff members)? Why would they even resort to using go fund me when payments being made right now are secret and no one knows how much or by who these athletes are getting now? I understand the concern but no I don’t think this ruling has opened up a Pandora’s box as it is a case by case basis, monitored and has to be agreed to by a waiver

Coach007
11-20-2018, 03:23 PM
As of today... she now has over 100k dollars.

BeardoMSU
11-20-2018, 03:37 PM
As of today... she now has over 100k dollars.

You jelly?**