PDA

View Full Version : List Of What The Egg Bowl Has Cost MSU Since 2014

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2018, 04:35 PM
2014 - Playoff birth

2015 - Sugar Bowl

2017 - Citrus Bowl

The truth is that OM has exceeded MSU?s energy, aggressiveness, and emotion in this game since 2014.

Now, we all know that could be due to Mullen being checked out, but the point remains: we have not been showing up ready to play in this game.

Imagine where our program would be if we had won the three game mentioned above.

Get it done and take nothing for granted.

sandwolf
11-19-2018, 04:39 PM
Yep, those 3 Egg Bowls cost us big time....and 2015 is the only one where they were the better team.

Todd4State
11-19-2018, 04:43 PM
And that is why I dislike Dan Mullen so much. While we railed our profile we at the same time underachieved.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2018, 04:45 PM
And that is why I dislike Dan Mullen so much. While we railed our profile we at the same time underachieved.

I get disliking Mullen, but this is an US problem as well.

In all these games, their guys played harder and with more energy

Bubb Rubb
11-19-2018, 04:47 PM

Which is a Mullen issue. The coaches get the teams ready to play, or they don't because they're focused on other things.

Commercecomet24
11-19-2018, 04:51 PM

Lack of focus and distraction by the coaching staff can cause this big time. Remember 2009-2011 when Mullen had focus on winning the Egg Bowl and how hard we played those 3 games and then compare that to the years you mentioned. Think it's a coincedence? I think not. It was the distraction of looking for greener pastures.

Commercecomet24
11-19-2018, 04:52 PM
Lack of focus and distraction by the coaching staff can cause this big time. Remember 2009-2011 when Mullen had focus on winning the Egg Bowl and how hard we played those 3 games and then compare that to the years you mentioned. Think it's a coincedence? I think not. It was the distraction of looking for greener pastures.

ETA the one year in the last 4 where we were prepared to play and played with energy and emotion. The year Mullen had no chance of leaving because of our bad record. Lot of evidence here.

Coursesuper
11-19-2018, 04:56 PM
ETA the one year in the last 4 where we were prepared to play and played with energy and emotion. The year Mullen had no chance of leaving because of our bad record. Lot of evidence here.

Your correct here. Truth.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2018, 05:00 PM

Great point.

Tbonewannabe
11-19-2018, 05:01 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Commercecomet24 again.

You hit the nail on the head.

MetEdDawg
11-19-2018, 05:03 PM
Which is a Mullen issue. The coaches get the teams ready to play, or they don't because they're focused on other things.

If this game meant as much as some on here think it does you shouldn't have to get your players to get the meaning. We can't sit here and praise our in state recruiting and Mississippi Made them blame only Mullen for not getting the rivalry to mean enough.

Pipedream
11-19-2018, 05:03 PM
2014 - Playoff birth

2015 - Sugar Bowl

2017 - Citrus Bowl

The truth is that OM has exceeded MSU?s energy, aggressiveness, and emotion in this game since 2014.

Now, we all know that could be due to Mullen being checked out, but the point remains: we have not been showing up ready to play in this game.

Imagine where our program would be if we had won the three game mentioned above.

They've taken some big bowl games off the table for us. And a lot of pride, but I think this revisionist history BS on the 2014 Egg Bowl needs to be corrected. There is no way on God's green Earth that 11-1 Mississippi State, without playing in a conference championship game, was going to get in the Playoff over a 12-1 Ohio State that just blasted Wisconsin for the Big 10 title. That just wasn't going to happen. Anyone claiming that is applying logic that doesn't exist. If you don't understand how brands and name schools work along with the Playoff Committee and how it is set up then you might not get this.

Todd4State
11-19-2018, 05:04 PM

I remember people bashing me for noticing this in 2015 and saying Dan should go. One "radio personality" in Mississippi even called me an idiot. Guess we know who the idiot is now.

The reaction surprised me because I thought it was pretty obvious to anyone paying attention.

msu15
11-19-2018, 05:05 PM
They've taken some big bowl games off the table for us. And a lot of pride, but I think this revisionist history BS on the 2014 Egg Bowl needs to be corrected. There is no way on God's green Earth that 11-1 Mississippi State, without playing in a conference championship game, was going to get in the Playoff over a 12-1 Ohio State that just blasted Wisconsin for the Big 10 title. That just wasn't going to happen. Anyone claiming that is applying logic that doesn't exist. If you don't understand how brands and name schools work along with the Playoff Committee and how it is set up then you might not get this.

I also don't think it's a given that we were a flat out better team that year either, but that's beside the point.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2018, 05:06 PM

You seem a little overly passionate about this. So the playoff was a “pipe dream”?

Not disagreeing with you but this is still just your opinion. The fact is that we would’ve at least had a case.

Pipedream
11-19-2018, 05:13 PM
We really would not have if you consider the criteria for the Playoff and with the ability to look backwards over the last 4 years. It just overemphasizes that particular loss as if it was the reason we didn't get in. We didn't get in because we lost to Bama. Period. If we beat Bama that Egg Bowl was inconsequential. If you really want to keep yourself up at night think back to the LSU/Bama game the week before we played Bama that season. LSU had them beat dead to rights and they gifted them a tying FG drive under 1:30 to play. If LSU holds on there, we only have to split the last 2 games to win the West. Nightmarish.

StarkVegasSteve
11-19-2018, 05:17 PM
You seem a little overly passionate about this. So the playoff was a ?pipe dream??

Not disagreeing with you but this is still just your opinion. The fact is that we would?ve at least had a case.

I think this is probably the more correct line of thinking. I agree with the OP that there's no way we're getting in over Ohio St, and honestly would've probably gotten left out for TCU or Baylor. But the fact of the matter is that we could've clinched a share of the West with a win and we didn't know what was going to happen in Tuscaloosa that night. Hell, I think Auburn led going into the 4th. So at worst you're 11-1 with your only loss to the number 1 team on the road.

Quaoarsking
11-19-2018, 05:19 PM

Playoff Selection Committee member Archie Manning disagrees with you.

Also, I believe we would have gotten the last NY6 bowl slot if we'd beaten Ole Miss last year, so it cost us even more.

RocketDawg
11-19-2018, 05:23 PM
2014 - Playoff birth

2015 - Sugar Bowl

2017 - Citrus Bowl

No only did losing to OM possibly cost us a playoff berth, it cost us another win in the Orange Bowl because we didn't care at that point (like Auburn last year) and we didn't have a DC.

Jack Lambert
11-19-2018, 05:26 PM
All three of the games were Senior Night. Too much distraction and emotions for the home team. Takes a quarter of play to get into mental playing mode. The visiting team can jump out in front if you are not careful.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2018, 05:28 PM
All three of the games were Senior Night. Too much distraction and emotions for the home team. Takes a quarter of play to get into mental playing mode. The visiting team can jump out in front if you are not careful.

2014 was on the road

RocketDawg
11-19-2018, 05:30 PM

By the same token, this Thursday will be their Senior Night. It should have the same effect on them as it does on us, if that's what it is. I'm not sure Senior Night has the same effect on football as it apparently did on Women's basketball.

Sacrifice
11-19-2018, 05:46 PM
The 2014 Egg Bowl still makes me sick to my stomach.

You had a Bo Wallace playing on basically one leg, no Treadwell.
All we had to do was cover Even Engram and blitz Wallace to win, we talked about on this board all week, and we did neither. Still can't believe it.

Then OM gets completely hammered by TCU in their bowl game. They blitz Wallace the entire game. Just makes me sick.

ScoobaDawg
11-19-2018, 05:53 PM
2014 - Playoff birth

2015 - Sugar Bowl

2017 - Citrus Bowl

Screw you Dan Mullen. I hope FSU somehow beats them.

LC Dawg
11-19-2018, 05:56 PM
Mullen ratcheted up the hate in the Egg Bowl. He needled Ole Miss whenever he could and we all loved him for it. In the process he drove them to be more passionate about the game and it gave them an edge late in the years when Mullen checked out on us while looking for jobs. As said above, the only good performance we had in the last four years was the year that Dan knew his stock was low and he wasn't aggressively looking for jobs.
I loved Mullen for sticking it to Ole Miss early in his Bulldog career and I say **** him for the way he coached against them late in his Bulldog career.

ScoobaDawg
11-19-2018, 06:01 PM
I really did hate that Moorhead said those cuss words today though... damnit coach. that's not their name.

Mutt the Hoople
11-19-2018, 07:37 PM
If I'm not mistaken, ******* had the players take Wednesday and Thursday off to go home for Thanksgiving, while om had their players stay and have Thanksgiving on campus. THis way, Mellon could go job shopping with his agent.

I think Moorhead prepares his team the best he can, instead of checking out mentally like Mulan did the past 5 years.

Todd4State
11-19-2018, 07:44 PM
If I'm not mistaken, ******* had the players take Wednesday and Thursday off to go home for Thanksgiving, while om had their players stay and have Thanksgiving on campus. THis way, Mellon could go job shopping with his agent.

I think Moorhead prepares his team the best he can, instead of checking out mentally like Mulan did the past 5 years.

If true, our AD should have been royally pissed off and is partially to blame as well. I'm talking about Stricklin.

Maroonthirteen
11-19-2018, 08:28 PM
The 2015 game, We really wanted that game. I recall the atmosphere well. However our Superman stepped on his cape to start the game. A fumble and pick 6..... doomed us.

RocketDawg
11-19-2018, 08:32 PM

Yes, Mullen did that, but i don't remember if it was the 2015 game or not. Time frame is about right. I also think you're right about Moorhead.

RocketDawg
11-19-2018, 08:32 PM
If true, our AD should have been royally pissed off and is partially to blame as well. I'm talking about Stricklin.

Well, perhaps he was job-shopping at the same time too, and didn't really care.