PDA

View Full Version : As an old Ref Here is the deal

tcdog70
11-18-2018, 10:25 AM
Possession is always the key.

When a runner breaks the plane , he already has possession. To establish possession on a catch you must maintain control of the ball through the ground. He did not, easy call. It is a rule not a judgement call.

How many times do I hear announcers say that a punt returner fumbles the ball, when what he does is muff the ball, meaning He never gained possession. To fumble you must have possession. You can run with a recovered fumble not a muff. Remember the key is possession.

What make things worse is when Coaches and announcers don't understand the rules of football.

Coursesuper
11-18-2018, 10:44 AM
Possession is always the key.

When a runner breaks the plane , he already has possession. To establish possession on a catch you must maintain control of the ball through the ground. He did not, easy call. It is a rule not a judgement call.

How many times do I hear announcers say that a punt returner fumbles the ball, when what he does is muff the ball, meaning He never gained possession. To fumble you must have possession. You can run with a recovered fumble not a muff. Remember the key is possession.

What make things worse is when Coaches and announcers don't understand the rules of football.

You know a well as I do that coaches don’t know the rules. If had a $ for every time I’ve tried to explain to a coach I would have retired years ago. I finally just gave up.

tcdog70
11-18-2018, 10:55 AM
You know a well as I do that coaches don’t know the rules. If had a $ for every time I’ve tried to explain to a coach I would have retired years ago. I finally just gave up.

You are correct with that. 90% of high school coaches don't know the rules. That is why there are some Coaches that win no matter where they go to coach. They are just smarter than other coaches.

Coursesuper
11-18-2018, 10:58 AM
You are correct with that. 90% of high school coaches don't know the rules. That is why there are some Coaches that win no matter where they go to coach. They are just smarter than other coaches.

You hit the nail on the head there.

timotheus
11-18-2018, 01:28 PM
You hit the nail on the head there.

That is very very true.