PDA

View Full Version : Can we end the concern about Moorhead?

MetEdDawg
11-17-2018, 02:30 PM
We had some legitimately concerned about today. Obviously that section of the fan base has totally overblown what has gone on this year.

I get it. It's Arkansas. But the offensive play calling has been well schemed. We have executed it very well today. We've seen improvement from a number of players from game 3 to today. Guys look more comfortable. Play calling looks more in rhythm. Team has played hard all year.

I like this guy a lot and from all accounts the team loves him. It wasn't like that across the board under Mullen and that's important.

msstate7
11-17-2018, 02:32 PM
Win next week with another good offensive showing, and I will feel 100% better

bulldawg28
11-17-2018, 02:33 PM
The playcalling has been there. The team just couldn't execute.

DogsofAnarchy
11-17-2018, 02:34 PM
I agree 100%. I have been straddling the fence but this game is proof to me we are headed in the right direction. I don’t care what we do in the Egg Bowl, you can’t judge a coach with one game. We have won more than we lost and we beat the teams we expected to beat this year with the exception of KY and maybe UF who might end up in a NY6 Bowl.

msstate7
11-17-2018, 02:37 PM
I agree 100%. I have been straddling the fence but this game is proof to me we are headed in the right direction. I don?t care what we do in the Egg Bowl, you can?t judge a coach with one game. We have won more than we lost and we beat the teams we expected to beat this year with the exception of KY and maybe UF who might end up in a NY6 Bowl.

We haven't won more than we lost. We're 3-4 now in the sec. 3-5 in the sec and 7-5 would not be good. Losing to Mullen and OM in his first season would be tough. Finish next week though, and we have excitement again going into bowl

BayouDawg
11-17-2018, 02:38 PM
Our offense has struggled against very good and very fast defenses. We are still learning the new system and being a half second slow in your reads against fast defenses has cost us this year. That is the sucky thing about running a timing offense with personelle built for a power run scheme. I like Joe and am ready to see what the offense looks like with players recruited for his system.

cheewgumm
11-17-2018, 02:39 PM
The play calling hasn?t been there all year.

We let our RBs have the ball today. Our RBs has more carries with 6 minutes left in the half than they did for the whole games against Kentucky and Florida and LSU and Bama.Go look at RB carries in those games.

If he lets the RBs get the ball ( like many have been saying for weeks on end), then the offense will work. In those games like Kentucky and Florida and LSU and BAmA he didn?t get it to our playmakers. That was poor to horrific playcalling.

I don?t know if he?s learning because he did this same thing against Auburn then reverted to our RBs combing for 10 ish carries and we went back to losing.

So I guess the answer is ?we?ll see?.

Cooterpoot
11-17-2018, 02:41 PM
Got to win the next one and all is good.

BayouDawg
11-17-2018, 02:42 PM
The play calling hasn?t been there all year.

We let our RBs have the ball today. Our RBs has more carries with 6 minutes left in the half than they did for the whole games against Kentucky and Florida and LSU and Bama.Go look at RB carries in those games.

If he lets the RBs get the ball ( like many have been saying for weeks on end), then the offense will work. In those games like Kentucky and Florida and LSU and BAmA he didn?t get it to our playmakers. That was poor to horrific playcalling.

I don?t know if he?s learning because he did this same thing against Auburn then reverted to our RBs combing for 10 ish carries and we went back to losing.

So I guess the answer is ?we?ll see?.

I agree with you about the lack of rb involvement. I have no idea why that happened. I think joe is smart enough to learn from this mistake this year. I could be wrong though.

Political Hack
11-17-2018, 02:44 PM
Fitz putting on a clinic after a terrible start.

DogsofAnarchy
11-17-2018, 02:47 PM
We haven't won more than we lost. We're 3-4 now in the sec. 3-5 in the sec and 7-5 would not be good. Losing to Mullen and OM in his first season would be tough. Finish next week though, and we have excitement again going into bowl

Well....you’re just counting SEC games. I count them all. We HAVE won more than we can lose with this win.

cheewgumm
11-17-2018, 02:48 PM
Bayou I agree. I hope he will.

msstate7
11-17-2018, 02:48 PM
Well....you’re just counting SEC games. I count them all. We HAVE won more than we can lose with this win.

7-5 and letting om get their 6th or maybe even 7th win would not be a win this season. Sorry

MetEdDawg
11-17-2018, 02:55 PM
I get the vitriol that has been in the Egg Bowl recently. Mullen stoked that fire. Moorhead is gonna make this just another game. He's going to take the emotion out of it and make it another game. I think the emotion gave OM an edge against.

Moorhead prepping this team to keep the same high standard is going to favor us. Doesn't matter whether we have executed at a high level every week. But that the expectation is there is going to give us an advantage.

We beat the brakes off them on Thanksgiving.

Marshdawg
11-17-2018, 02:56 PM
Yep if Fitz puttin phd after his name in second half- what a way to finish at home

Commercecomet24
11-17-2018, 03:07 PM
The playcalling has been there. The team just couldn't execute.

This x 1000. Plays have been there all year execution hasn't always been there.

bulldawg28
11-17-2018, 03:08 PM
I agree with you about the lack of rb involvement. I have no idea why that happened. I think joe is smart enough to learn from this mistake this year. I could be wrong though.

Fitz doesn't give them the ball. It's an option to keep, give, or pass. It's the Qb's option. Fitz goes with what's comfortable to him.

msstate7
11-17-2018, 03:10 PM
I get the vitriol that has been in the Egg Bowl recently. Mullen stoked that fire. Moorhead is gonna make this just another game. He's going to take the emotion out of it and make it another game. I think the emotion gave OM an edge against.

Moorhead prepping this team to keep the same high standard is going to favor us. Doesn't matter whether we have executed at a high level every week. But that the expectation is there is going to give us an advantage.

I think we win comfortably too.

Commercecomet24
11-17-2018, 03:10 PM
Got to win the next one and all is good.

Yep and a blowout would be nice!

dawgday166
11-17-2018, 03:14 PM

100% huh? LOL

He beats the hell out of very bad teams, which is good and better than Mullen in all honesty. When he starts beating teams with a pulse, then I'll start feeling like maybe he's the guy.

Not saying he is now, not saying he ain't. Just saying it's too early to tell just yet. Gotta score points against teams with a pulse. And he hasn't done that yet and regardless of what folks want to think ... we should've scored some good points in our 4 losses.

cheewgumm
11-17-2018, 03:14 PM
Bulldawg28 - So you think Moorhead has just watched our RBs combine for 12 carries a game and just thought ?welp, I Hope Fitz will decide to give it to them at some point. If not, oh well.?

Really?

So his job: coaching career hinges on the whims of his college aged kid QB? And he?ll watch us lose game after game not giving them the ball just waiting for his QB to ?do right??

Dawgology
11-17-2018, 03:33 PM

This. And I will further that. We need to make a good showing in our bowl game. It will probably be against a good defense so...

shoeless joe
11-17-2018, 03:37 PM
The fact that some can't see how this was a completely waisted season is beyond me. If Jomo would have realized this was the SEC and what this team was built to do we would not have waisted what may be the best defense in the country

Todd4State
11-17-2018, 03:39 PM
Looking forward to the historic regression update.**

Todd4State
11-17-2018, 03:41 PM
Bulldawg28 - So you think Moorhead has just watched our RBs combine for 12 carries a game and just thought ?welp, I Hope Fitz will decide to give it to them at some point. If not, oh well.?

Really?

So his job: coaching career hinges on the whims of his college aged kid QB? And he?ll watch us lose game after game not giving them the ball just waiting for his QB to ?do right??

You obviously have no idea how the option works. Nick is a ball hog. Joe can't force Nick to hand it off as the play is happening. And it's a delicate situation because the QB is a fifth year senior who has won a lot of games.

Commercecomet24
11-17-2018, 03:45 PM
Looking forward to the historic regression update.**

Lol those updates happen daily!

BayouDawg
11-17-2018, 04:32 PM
You obviously have no idea how the option works. Nick is a ball hog. Joe can't force Nick to hand it off as the play is happening. And it's a delicate situation because the QB is a fifth year senior who has won a lot of games.

Another possibility is that d coordinators saw nick had lost a step this year so they took the handoff away wanting Fitz to run it.

bulldawg28
11-17-2018, 04:40 PM

Really?

Every college coach's career hinges on the ability of a college kids mental and physical ability. He inherited a Qb that's struggled running a scheme he's implemented. I think he's continued to call the plays that are open with options. Within those options are gives to the RB. The coach can't run the play for them. Could he have called more designed runs, yes. However, every game we leave 14-20 points due to missed execution or mental breakdowns. That's not the coaches fault.

bulldawg28
11-17-2018, 04:40 PM

Exactly

Commercecomet24
11-17-2018, 04:42 PM
Every college coach's career hinges on the ability of a college kids mental and physical ability. He inherited a Qb that's struggled running a scheme he's implemented. I think he's continued to call the plays that are open with options. Within those options are gives to the RB. The coach can't run the play for them. Could he have called more designed runs, yes. However, every game we leave 14-20 points due to missed execution or mental breakdowns. That's not the coaches fault.

Great post! This can't be said enough.

cheewgumm
11-17-2018, 04:46 PM
To think a coach would sit for 11 games and watch something that he doesn?t want to happen, happen and do nothing about it is asinine.

I won?t stoop to saying all y?all don?t know what you?re talking about though that seemed to be the way. If you disagree just say the other person is stupid. That?s fine.

If you think Moorhead has watched all year begging Fitz to give he ball to our RBs and is just waitin on Fitz to finally do it, with his job in the balance, then I don?t know what to tell you.

yjnkdawg
11-17-2018, 04:55 PM

Really?

Ok here's the deal on the LSU game. I agree on one thing you said, I didn't like that many designed quarterback runs against that defense. That just played into LSU's hands, and who they wanted to have the ball. Now you say get it in the hands of our running backs. OK, the play was there, but Aranda was not going to allow our running backs to determine the game. He schemed his defense where Fitz woud think the correct option was to keep the ball. In the KY game, KY ran a simple defense, but was able to confuse Fitz, right before he snapped the ball, into going with an option that was usually not the right one. So other than the designed quarterback runs, the running back, or passing option was there. I would have to go back and look at the FL game, but that was a real emotional game for our players. In that type of game it seems that sometimes emotions out weighs execution, and Grantham knew our offensive strengths an weaknesses very well

MetEdDawg
11-17-2018, 04:55 PM
The fact that some can't see how this was a completely waisted season is beyond me. If Jomo would have realized this was the SEC and what this team was built to do we would not have waisted what may be the best defense in the country

This is just awful. So tired too. Nobody wasted anything. If you hung everything forever on this one year then that's the problem. We have too many people that thought this was the year and the only year ever that will ever be.

You have to stop and think about whether or not you wanted this to be the year or if you potentially want more years like this in the future. Wish Moorhead had realized this was the SEC? Like what does that even mean?

Get over it. Many are starting to realize there was a lot more at play than we realized. Joe had to adjust. Fitz struggled with the offense. We incorrectly thought it was an easy transition to this offense and we were mistaken. 9-4 is not what we wanted but it's what we most likely get. Still showed signs that we are improving and getting better. Moorhead is the guy. Get over it. It would be great if we could stop the bitching and moaning of what could have been and objectively look at what has transpired over the course of the season.

yjnkdawg
11-17-2018, 05:01 PM
Lol those updates happen daily!

We get first hand elite daily inside information on this board, ****

99jc
11-17-2018, 05:09 PM

I can tell you why because most of our fan base has the football IQ of an eggplant. And they are mostly just dumb sons of bitches. If they really believe fatass is that good just wait until this time next year without that great defense here his sorry ass will be gone by 2020.

Mobile Bay
11-17-2018, 05:09 PM
We just beat a team that will likely finish 2-10. This proves nothing.

DLGDawg
11-17-2018, 05:15 PM
This is just awful. So tired too. Nobody wasted anything. If you hung everything forever on this one year then that's the problem. We have too many people that thought this was the year and the only year ever that will ever be.

You have to stop and think about whether or not you wanted this to be the year or if you potentially want more years like this in the future. Wish Moorhead had realized this was the SEC? Like what does that even mean?

Get over it. Many are starting to realize there was a lot more at play than we realized. Joe had to adjust. Fitz struggled with the offense. We incorrectly thought it was an easy transition to this offense and we were mistaken. 9-4 is not what we wanted but it's what we most likely get. Still showed signs that we are improving and getting better. Moorhead is the guy. Get over it. It would be great if we could stop the bitching and moaning of what could have been and objectively look at what has transpired over the course of the season.

Great post. One thing for sure is that we are a better team than we were in week 3 or 4.

bulldawg28
11-17-2018, 05:16 PM
To think a coach would sit for 11 games and watch something that he doesn?t want to happen, happen and do nothing about it is asinine.

I won?t stoop to saying all y?all don?t know what you?re talking about though that seemed to be the way. If you disagree just say the other person is stupid. That?s fine.

If you think Moorhead has watched all year begging Fitz to give he ball to our RBs and is just waitin on Fitz to finally do it, with his job in the balance, then I don?t know what to tell you.

If you paid attention to the game you saw everything we're discussing play out. Fitz was 2/7 trying to run the offense. It wasn't until the coach simplified the offense to a two man option game that Fitz moved the ball. Things opened from there. However, Thompson came in with the same gameplan and executed passing and running immediately. Personnel is everything.

Cooterpoot
11-17-2018, 05:25 PM
If you paid attention to the game you saw everything we're discussing play out. Fitz was 2/7 trying to run the offense. It wasn't until the coach simplified the offense to a two man option game that Fitz moved the ball. Things opened from there. However, Thompson came in with the same gameplan and executed passing and running immediately. Personnel is everything.

Not even close to accurate. We opened up the offense the second half. We didn?t simplify reads. Fitz settles down and went through progressions better.

yjnkdawg
11-17-2018, 05:34 PM

True

bulldawg28
11-17-2018, 05:56 PM
Not even close to accurate. We opened up the offense the second half. We didn?t simplify reads. Fitz settles down and went through progressions better.

Fitz had 127 yards passing for the entire game. Is that your definition of opening it up? It took him an entire half and the backup one series to figure it out today.

ShotgunDawg

How is someone who had never coached in the SEC supposed to realize what that means or how to adjust his offens for it?

KOdawg1
I can tell you why because most of our fan base has the football IQ of an eggplant. And they are mostly just dumb sons of bitches. If they really believe fatass is that good just wait until this time next year without that great defense here his sorry ass will be gone by 2020.

It must suck being a miserable bastard.

IMissJack
11-17-2018, 06:05 PM
This x 1000. Plays have been there all year execution hasn't always been there.

I get that the team has not consistently executed his plays, but I'm pretty sure Nick and the rest of the offense could have executed a handoff to Aeries or Kylin a few more times than they did this year. Assuming JM stays here for several years, there will be years that he has his Perfect QB and years he won't. Same thing happened to Mullen, but he made things easy for Relf and Tyler where he could. I just hope Joe learns that from this season.

yjnkdawg
11-17-2018, 06:08 PM

Well when everybody is either stupid or an idiot when they don't agree with everything you say, then I guess you are a very important person, and it doesn't matter what your personality is because you, and your small following, are the only ones right.***

Coach007
11-17-2018, 06:08 PM

Don't be too hard on yourself. You try and that is what matters.

Matt3467
11-17-2018, 07:32 PM

99jc is the most pessimistic, virulent, pernicious, venomous person I know on this board. No one comes close to this dude.

Cooterpoot
11-17-2018, 07:48 PM
Fitz had 127 yards passing for the entire game. Is that your definition of opening it up? It took him an entire half and the backup one series to figure it out today.

For this offense? Yes. Did you see the 5 TDS he put up? Last I checked, this is a game of points and he was involved in 5 scores.

Cooterpoot
11-17-2018, 07:49 PM

He’s a troll. Why people cant figure that out I’ll never know.

shoeless joe
11-17-2018, 09:57 PM
How is someone who had never coached in the SEC supposed to realize what that means or how to adjust his offens for it?

I don't think he realized what it takes to win in the SEC. game 1 of the season itwas obvious with the undisciplined play that he was running a much looser ship. That may fly at Fordham but not in the SEC.

He should adjust his offense to the strength of his personnel, something Mullen was good at. It took joe multiple shitty games to do this and he still threw up a shitter or two afterwards.

I will say again...it will be 5+ and prolly 10 years before we MAY see another defense like this one. We should have 2 losses max rite now and more like 1 or zero if jomo pulls his head out of his ass sooner...but even as I say that it's not like we've done much against a good defense. UAB is movin the ball all over the field on a&m and that was the one go to the jomo fan club could point to.

I hope he figures it out and I think he might end up a decent coach for us but to think this season wasn't a waist based on the on field talent is absurd.

Tbonewannabe
11-17-2018, 10:18 PM
100% huh? LOL

He beats the hell out of very bad teams, which is good and better than Mullen in all honesty. When he starts beating teams with a pulse, then I'll start feeling like maybe he's the guy.

Not saying he is now, not saying he ain't. Just saying it's too early to tell just yet. Gotta score points against teams with a pulse. And he hasn't done that yet and regardless of what folks want to think ... we should've scored some good points in our 4 losses.

So Auburn or A&M don't count?

Todd4State
11-17-2018, 10:23 PM
I don't think he realized what it takes to win in the SEC. game 1 of the season itwas obvious with the undisciplined play that he was running a much looser ship. That may fly at Fordham but not in the SEC.

He should adjust his offense to the strength of his personnel, something Mullen was good at. It took joe multiple shitty games to do this and he still threw up a shitter or two afterwards.

I will say again...it will be 5+ and prolly 10 years before we MAY see another defense like this one. We should have 2 losses max rite now and more like 1 or zero if jomo pulls his head out of his ass sooner...but even as I say that it's not like we've done much against a good defense. UAB is movin the ball all over the field on a&m and that was the one go to the jomo fan club could point to.

I hope he figures it out and I think he might end up a decent coach for us but to think this season wasn't a waist based on the on field talent is absurd.

I don't think he realized his QB couldn't read defenses. Not a lot he can do about that. Most of the other position groups are at least passable.

msbulldog
11-18-2018, 07:05 AM

Why don't you 17 off genius!

msbulldog
11-18-2018, 07:22 AM

You are not correct we had an excellent defensive class last year and another one coming in this year. Brian Baker and Terrell Buckley are excellent coaches and recruiters and Shoop is in the top 5 DC's in the country. If we can hold all this together there won't be much fall off on defense.

shoeless joe
11-18-2018, 07:35 AM
You are not correct we had an excellent defensive class last year and another one coming in this year. Brian Baker and Terrell Buckley are excellent coaches and recruiters and Shoop is in the top 5 DC's in the country. If we can hold all this together there won't be much fall off on defense.

I'd love for you to be right

bulldawg28
11-18-2018, 09:25 AM
For this offense? Yes. Did you see the 5 TDS he put up? Last I checked, this is a game of points and he was involved in 5 scores.

Key was involved in 2 with almost the same amount of yards passing with 3 possessions. Fitz was just ok yesterday. Arkansas is terrible and he ended his career at home the way he should. However, let's not act like he lit it up yesterday.

Really Clark?
11-18-2018, 10:01 AM
Key was involved in 2 with almost the same amount of yards passing with 3 possessions. Fitz was just ok yesterday. Arkansas is terrible and he ended his career at home the way he should. However, let's not act like he lit it up yesterday.

Fitz lit them up in the 3rd quarter and if stayed in would have continue to do so. He was responsible for 5 TD?s personally, KT 1 when Ark was done. KT did great when he came but him doing great doesn?t mean Fitz was ?ok?. I swear people it?s ok to say Fitz was hot and on fire the 3rd quarter, it was a great quarter in the stats as well. Doesn?t any less for either QB

Cooterpoot
11-18-2018, 10:13 AM

Fitz was 9-14 for 127 and 4 passing TDS. Almost 50% of his passes were TDS. We ran the ball a ton, but when we threw it, we scored.

dawgday166
11-18-2018, 10:14 AM
So Auburn or A&M don't count?

AU counts and had a pulse when we played them ... that was a good game plan by Joe, unfortunately he didn't use it the rest of the season. TAM counts a little too ... don't think they're that great on D tho, especially passing D. But, we did exploit their weaknesses in passing D.

I think the game plans and play calling in our 4 losses left a lot to be desired. I do like that Joe loves to pound inferior competition. Mullen tended to squeak by at times against those teams. Joe now has to figure out how to game plan against the upper tier defenses.

Joe said in his PC that most of the stuff we ran yesterday were reads off inside zone with some screens off of that, then the rest was true play action and some drop back passes. Not much if any RPO. That's what this offense can do, including not just Nick but the Oline & WRs too. It helped to have Aeris in there too. If we had done this all year long, we'd be 10-2 or 11-1 now IMO.

So IMO, we sacrificed this year to install his offense. Joe's needs to get his offense drilled into the guys. In our 4 losses I believe the guys were thinking too much and not playing, and we have some playmakers on offense. The thinking part is why we saw so many penalties, false starts, missed assignments, etc. The one time it seems Joe told Nick to go out, read what he read, make a decision and just play and do what he does was against TAM ... and Nick had a good game that game. That and the pass protections were set up better in that game than in our losses.

Plus, Joe was getting his feet wet playing LSU in BR, Bama in TTown, etc. Big time environments and may have overwhelmed him some.

We need to come out and pound OM this week. If we do that, then maybe he'll hunker down and work himself, his staff, and the offensive personnel harder to get his offense fully implemented. While he may not have a great offense against upper tier teams next year, we better be scoring at least 13 to 20 against them next year IMO. Not 7, 6, 3, and 0 like this year. Anything below 10 is really not good.

bulldawg28
11-18-2018, 10:18 AM
Fitz lit them up in the 3rd quarter and if stayed in would have continue to do so. He was responsible for 5 TD?s personally, KT 1 when Ark was done. KT did great when he came but him doing great doesn?t mean Fitz was ?ok?. I swear people it?s ok to say Fitz was hot and on fire the 3rd quarter, it was a great quarter in the stats as well. Doesn?t any less for either QB

Fitz was hot in the third quarter. It doesn't take away or add to his play for the entirety of the year. I'm sorry but I expected more from him this year. He regressed and the coach isn't to blame. You work until you fix the problems if your the team captain. He stinks it up with any lively defense.

msstate7
11-18-2018, 10:19 AM
Fitz was 9-14 for 127 and 4 passing TDS. Almost 50% of his passes were TDS. We ran the ball a ton, but when we threw it, we scored.

Passer rating was 234.77. Dak only reached that 1 time as a starter vs northwestern st

Really Clark?
11-18-2018, 10:36 AM
Fitz was hot in the third quarter. It doesn't take away or add to his play for the entirety of the year. I'm sorry but I expected more from him this year. He regressed and the coach isn't to blame. You work until you fix the problems if your the team captain. He stinks it up with any lively defense.

Yeah but that wasn?t was being discussed. You said he was ?ok? yesterday and that wasn?t true. And we?ve debate who should carry what blame for the season and struggles. We won yesterday, he was great the second half, let?s beat the heck out of OM!!

bulldawg28
11-18-2018, 10:37 AM

Really? If you want to play that game the backup had a higher completion percentage along with the touchdown to pass ratio better. I give Fitz his credit Saturday but come on man.

bulldawg28
11-18-2018, 10:41 AM
Passer rating was 234.77. Dak only reached that 1 time as a starter vs northwestern st

Thompson had a 285.6 rating yesterday

bulldawg28
11-18-2018, 10:42 AM
Yeah but that wasn?t was being discussed. You said he was ?ok? yesterday and that wasn?t true. And we?ve debate who should carry what blame for the season and struggles. We won yesterday, he was great the second half, let?s beat the heck out of OM!!

Agreed brother man

Cooterpoot
11-18-2018, 10:42 AM
Really? If you want to play that game the backup had a higher completion percentage along with the touchdown to pass ratio better. I give Fitz his credit Saturday but come on man.

I’m not knocking Key. You’re knocking Fitz. Fitz played well. 212 yards, 5 TDS in 3+ qtrs is strong. Once he shook off the Sr day emotions he was lights out.

Saltydog
11-18-2018, 10:46 AM
worst team? Even if we win out we've underperformed but a win against a 2 win Upig team should change everyone's opinion. Riiight?..

dawgday166
11-18-2018, 10:48 AM
worst team? Even if we win out we've underperformed but a win against a 2 win Upig team should change everyone's opinion. Riiight?..

It is kinda amazing what folks get excited about on here LOL.

Cooterpoot
11-18-2018, 10:52 AM
If we win 8/9 games, I won’t be disappointed with the season. If a State fan is, they’re a damn fool. It’s fine to be disappointed losing a couple games, but we were going to lose at least two no matter what with a new staff coming in. And at the end of the day, we’d still be no better than 2nd in the west. We’re shooting for 3rd this week. I refused to be too pissed about that. Mullen usually finished 4th/5th.

Todd4State
11-18-2018, 10:53 AM

Just the opposite happened last week after we lost to Alabama.

bulldawg28
11-18-2018, 11:13 AM
I?m not knocking Key. You?re knocking Fitz. Fitz played well. 212 yards, 5 TDS in 3+ qtrs is strong. Once he shook off the Sr day emotions he was lights out.

That was senior day emotions? It sure looked like typical Fitz. Fitz for Heisman! Is that better?

BuckyIsAB****
11-18-2018, 11:20 AM

You will never take the emotion out of this game and he shouldnt

Saltydog
11-18-2018, 12:33 PM
a 8 win regular season but at the same token I think some MSU fans are very quick to settle. After all, we're poor lil' ole MSU and we should know our place, right. What's wrong with looking at it from the perspective that while we "may" win 8 games (and that's ASSUMING we win Thursday) we underperformed considering our talent level. There is no doubt in my mind (none) we're better than 3 of the 4 teams we lost to. The truth doesn't change, even if you choose to avoid it.

LC Dawg
11-18-2018, 12:46 PM
That was our first senior day win in four years. Moorhead may not be the right guy but if we win Thursday I'll be happy that we have a coach that can win games at the end of the year.

BoomBoom
11-18-2018, 01:35 PM
We had some legitimately concerned about today. Obviously that section of the fan base has totally overblown what has gone on this year.

I get it. It's Arkansas. But the offensive play calling has been well schemed. We have executed it very well today. We've seen improvement from a number of players from game 3 to today. Guys look more comfortable. Play calling looks more in rhythm. Team has played hard all year.

I like this guy a lot and from all accounts the team loves him. It wasn't like that across the board under Mullen and that's important.

My concern is that he believes in finesse and not physicality. See a lack of a QB sneak. It's not like it takes any effort at all to install that play, the players all know it and he has the personnel for it. He just doesn't believe in doing it, even though it's proven to work and he's failing in those scenarios when trying something else. He insists on a finesse solution. I hope he grows out of that because if not he will never succeed in the SEC.

maroonmania
11-18-2018, 02:30 PM
My concern is that he believes in finesse and not physicality. See a lack of a QB sneak. It's not like it takes any effort at all to install that play, the players all know it and he has the personnel for it. He just doesn't believe in doing it, even though it's proven to work and he's failing in those scenarios when trying something else. He insists on a finesse solution. I hope he grows out of that because if not he will never succeed in the SEC.

Agree with this to a point. When Cohen talks about Moorhead being a football 'savant' it lends itself to a coach that wants to outsmart everyone and is not interested in being physical.

Percho
11-18-2018, 02:45 PM
It is kinda amazing what folks get excited about on here LOL.

It's also kinda amazing what people do not get excited about.

If you score 52 points against a JC school it should be exciting.

If you give up no TD's against a JC team it should be exciting.

Yet we want to degrade out team for just playing well.

WeWonItAll(Most)
11-18-2018, 03:26 PM
a 8 win regular season but at the same token I think some MSU fans are very quick to settle. After all, we're poor lil' ole MSU and we should know our place, right. What's wrong with looking at it from the perspective that while we "may" win 8 games (and that's ASSUMING we win Thursday) we underperformed considering our talent level. There is no doubt in my mind (none) we're better than 3 of the 4 teams we lost to. The truth doesn't change, even if you choose to avoid it.

If you want to be mad about underachieving, be mad that we had go through a coaching transition with this team. With the QB missing spring practice and the first game of the season. 2 of those 3 losses happened in our 4th and 5th games of the season.

Todd4State
11-18-2018, 05:14 PM
If you want to be mad about underachieving, be mad that we had go through a coaching transition with this team. With the QB missing spring practice and the first game of the season. 2 of those 3 losses happened in our 4th and 5th games of the season.

Be mad at our offensive recruiting three years ago.

Political Hack
11-18-2018, 06:13 PM
Hang 50 on Ole Miss and everything will be roses.

Tbonewannabe
11-18-2018, 10:33 PM

I don't remember Mullen using a QB sneak.

Commercecomet24
11-18-2018, 11:35 PM
I don't remember Mullen using a QB sneak.

Yeah Mullen never used it and most spread teams don't either. This team is plenty physical as well.

DancingRabbit
11-18-2018, 11:52 PM
Mullen did run a few under center plays Dak's senior year, unless I'm mis-remembering. No sneaks that I recall.

Tbonewannabe
11-19-2018, 09:19 AM
Mullen did run a few under center plays Dak's senior year, unless I'm mis-remembering. No sneaks that I recall.

Mullen also ran a handful with Relf. It was goal line wishbone type plays if I remember correctly but we went years without going under center.

thf24
11-19-2018, 10:02 AM
Hardly any spread coaches use traditional QB sneaks, and with good reason. When your offense runs heavily or exclusively out of a certain formation, why in a critical situation would you deviate away from your bread and butter to a formation you can only spare at most a few practice reps on a week?

hacker
11-19-2018, 10:04 AM
Hardly any spread coaches use traditional QB sneaks, and with good reason. When your offense runs heavily or exclusively out of a certain formation, why in a critical situation would you deviate away from your bread and butter to a formation you can only spare at most a few practice reps a week?

Moorhead said we run 100% shotgun in practice. Don't practice under center at all.

Tbonewannabe
11-19-2018, 10:25 AM
Moorhead said we run 100% shotgun in practice. Don't practice under center at all.

He also said the chance for a fumbled snap due to that is a lot greater. The only advantage in that case is the QB sneak. If you hand off in the shotgun then it is just like handing to the RB in that situation since they are the same depth.