PDA

View Full Version : Total weeks spent in CFP top 25 (SEC teams only)...

DeviousDawg
11-16-2018, 03:37 PM
Since it's inception in 2014, there have been 28 different sets of CFP rankings, here is a look at how many times each SEC team has been in those 28 rankings.

1. Bama- 28
2. LSU- 24
3. Auburn- 20
4. MSU- 19
5. UGA- 16
6. UF- 14
7. OM- 12
t8. TAMU- 6
t8. UT- 6
10. Mizzou- 4
11. UK- 3
t12. Arky- 1
t12. USC- 1
14. Vandy- 0

If all the remaining games go as expected, at the end of the year MSU will have 22 while Auburn will stay at 20, with a possible bump to 25ish after beating Liberty tomorrow to help beef up Bama's resume. However, even if that were the case that would bring Auburn's total up to 21, still below MSU.

So after the first 5 years of the College Football Playoff poll, MSU will have spent the 3rd most amount of weeks in the top 25 in the SEC, only behind traditional powers LSU and Alabama.

Moorhead must keep this going over the next few years, it is doing more for our program than one may think. In one decade, MSU has gone from expecting to be in bottom 2 or 3 of the SEC year in year out, to expecting to be in the top 25 year in year out.

Whether we like it or not, a program's perception is more than just what others see and think, it creates a ceiling and a floor. Moorehead must continue to raise the floor which in turn raises the ceiling. If Moorehead can continue this trend over the next 5 years, we will cement the MSU name in the perineal book of contenders.

Perception is important, plain and simple. Perception has a direct relationship with recruiting, recruiting has a direct relationship with winning. Moorehead must prove that he can continue to win consistently, proving that it wasn't just the previous coach, but the program itself that has taken the next step. IF Moorehead can do this over the next 3-5 years, we will go from having a chance every 4 or 5 years to make some real noise, to having a chance every year to make some real noise.

We are embarking upon a pivotal point in MSU football history, and the keys are in Joe Moorehead's hands. Will he succeed? Only time will tell. If he can hold onto Shoop long term, keep the rest of the coaching staff together for the most part, get his QB, and consistently bring in top 20-25 recruiting classes, I think he will continue the trend and then take us to the next step when he has his guys in 4-5 years down the road.

Moorehead doesn't have to take the next step in the next couple years, he just has to continue the status quo, which in itself will eventually take us to the next step. So be patient guys. Rome was not built in one day. Appreciate where our program is now and where we have the opportunity to take it over the next decade. The only thing we can not do, is take a step back. It might take hours to climb a mountain face, but it only takes one slip to fall all the way back down in a matter of seconds. In the grand scheme of things, we just have to avoid that slip and keep climbing, eventually, we will reach the peak.

Hailstate

msudawglb
11-16-2018, 03:43 PM
and to add to that, I believe we are 2nd only to Bama as the team with the highest percentage of time at #1 in the CFP. I believe Bama has been #1 about 63% of the time and MSU has been #1 18% of the time. Someone can check me on that stat.

DeviousDawg
11-16-2018, 03:58 PM
and to add to that, I believe we are 2nd only to Bama as the team with the highest percentage of time at #1 in the CFP. I believe Bama has been #1 about 63% of the time and MSU has been #1 18% of the time. Someone can check me on that stat.

Only Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, and Mississippi State have reached the top spot.

msstate7
11-16-2018, 04:05 PM
Only Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, and Mississippi State have reached the top spot.

Is there not a final ranking? Ohio st won it

LC Dawg
11-16-2018, 04:05 PM
I was working in Albany, NY a couple of weeks ago. I told a guy at the plant I was at that I was from Mississippi and he said "How's Mississippi State going to do Saturday?" Next day I was wearing a Mississippi State shirt at the airport and the guy at the counter said "Cool, that's Dak Prescott's school."
I'll give Mullen, and of course Dak, credit. I've been wearing State gear across the country for over 25 years of work and since 2014 it has been so great to interact with people who don't think we are the other team in this state.
I know this is about football but don't discount Schaefer and the women. If you want to know how big that shot by Morgan was try wearing some State gear when you travel.

Tbonewannabe
11-16-2018, 04:07 PM
Mullen had typically bounced between 6-7 wins to 8-9 wins including Bowl wins. We are right at an average of 8 wins. Moorhead can keep that going with getting 9 wins this year. I know everyone is disappointed in not getting 10 but Moorhead looks to at least have us still going in the right direction. Recruiting also looks like it is improving.

Moorhead next year needs to 1) keep the bowl streak alive. 2) Get to 7-8 wins on an odd year. We really need to win a couple on the road to make up for playing Bama and LSU at home. It would be great to beat LSU at home again but at best it is a toss up game. 3) Keep improving recruiting. At the end of the day in the SEC, you can only do so much with low recruiting classes. Mullen was able to get enough talent that basically either wasn't ranked or took time to develop. Getting those overlooked guys are getting to be harder with the advancement in technology. More guys are getting tape in front of coaches and analysts. I wouldn't be surprised if Bama just has guys looking at tape of players in certain areas. They certainly have the money to employ them.

Commercecomet24
11-16-2018, 04:15 PM

Good catch there. They sure did.

DeviousDawg
11-16-2018, 04:20 PM

Technically, the final CFP poll occurs after conference championship week. Their job is to pick a top 4 and let the playoff take care of the rest, no reason to meet and rerank when the top spot is claimed on the field. Any final rankings you see come from the AP and coaches polls.

Really Clark?
11-16-2018, 04:28 PM

CFP doesn’t do a final ranking after the playoffs end

BrunswickDawg
11-16-2018, 05:33 PM
Mullen had typically bounced between 6-7 wins to 8-9 wins including Bowl wins. We are right at an average of 8 wins. Moorhead can keep that going with getting 9 wins this year. I know everyone is disappointed in not getting 10 but Moorhead looks to at least have us still going in the right direction. Recruiting also looks like it is improving.

Moorhead next year needs to 1) keep the bowl streak alive. 2) Get to 7-8 wins on an odd year. We really need to win a couple on the road to make up for playing Bama and LSU at home. It would be great to beat LSU at home again but at best it is a toss up game. 3) Keep improving recruiting. At the end of the day in the SEC, you can only do so much with low recruiting classes. Mullen was able to get enough talent that basically either wasn't ranked or took time to develop. Getting those overlooked guys are getting to be harder with the advancement in technology. More guys are getting tape in front of coaches and analysts. I wouldn't be surprised if Bama just has guys looking at tape of players in certain areas. They certainly have the money to employ them.

We also have to keep the atmosphere up at SEC home games. We keep it up and it does help neutralize some of our opponents. We shellacked LSU at home last year because of it - and should have won in '15. Auburn hates coming to Starkville, and have lost 3 of 4 here. Kentucky hasn't won here since '08. A&M has lost their last 2 here. Arkansas has lost 2 of last 3 - hopefully losing a 3rd tomorrow. Winning SEC home games is critical for that next step because you know Bama and Ole Miss will always be your toughest home outs.