PDA

View Full Version : David Pollock on ESPN home page talking if UCF could ever make the Playoff

Tbonewannabe
11-16-2018, 02:33 PM
I am 100% on the expanded playoff bandwagon. However, UCF has control on how to improve their case.

They have to improve their schedule. I know Home games = $$$ but due to the remainder of their schedule, they have to play at least 2 away games at P5 schools. They are basically hanging their hat on beating an Auburn team last year that didn't look like they gave a shit.

UCF has to go somewhere like @Oklahoma and @Penn St then have Clemson at home. If they are still undefeated then they are in the Playoff even though they have 9 other homecoming team wins. They can not play a FCS team at any point. They play not much better than that week in and week out. The SEC gets leeway because almost every week would be the hardest game most teams play. SEC has earned it, UCF has not.

Coursesuper
11-16-2018, 02:44 PM
Playing one game against a quality opponent isn’t the equivalent of of the grind of a power 5 schedule.

Cooterpoot
11-16-2018, 02:51 PM
I'll pull for them before AL.

Commercecomet24
11-16-2018, 02:53 PM
UCF has no argument to be in the playoff based on their weak schedule. We have already played 6 ranked teams, a P5 on the road and we will play our hated rival on the road. Let UCF play a schedule like that be undefeated or one loss then we can talk. BTW I'm for expanding the playoff as well, it's badly needed.

Johnson85
11-16-2018, 03:02 PM
I am 100% on the expanded playoff bandwagon. However, UCF has control on how to improve their case.

They have to improve their schedule. I know Home games = $$$ but due to the remainder of their schedule, they have to play at least 2 away games at P5 schools. They are basically hanging their hat on beating an Auburn team last year that didn't look like they gave a shit.

UCF has to go somewhere like @Oklahoma and @Penn St then have Clemson at home. If they are still undefeated then they are in the Playoff even though they have 9 other homecoming team wins. They can not play a FCS team at any point. They play not much better than that week in and week out. The SEC gets leeway because almost every week would be the hardest game most teams play. SEC has earned it, UCF has not.

UCF has some control. To me, they have to put themselves out for buy games at a competitive rate (I'm not sure what that is now for G5 schools. $1M? $1.5M?) or try to get 2-1 deals, or some combination of the two, to fill all four non-conference games. It's certainly possible that they could put themselves out there and nobody want to play them because they dont' want to pay money or take a 2-1 deal for games they think they might lose. If that happens, then I think they've done what they can and all you can ask them to do is win the games they play. But they have to show that they tried for top tier games from top tier conferences. They can't go schedule Vandy and Wake Forest. They really need to at least offer to play the best expected teams from ACC, Big 12, and Pac 12, and then top four teams from the SEC or Big 10.

Tbonewannabe
11-16-2018, 03:06 PM
I just think at the end of the day, UCF has more control than what they are saying in the media. As far as I can tell, they haven't tried to schedule road games with the P5. They very well might have offered a home and home to someone like Oklahoma but they know that Oklahoma isn't taking that deal.

They need to suck it up and play a legitimate road game without the strings of a return trip to UCF. If they want to actually enter the discussions then they need to pay the piper.

If they played at minimum 3 road games a year then they can still have Homecoming against a crap team. Well, technically the rest of their schedule would be a Homecoming schedule. La Tech would probably be their toughest opponent this year.

Tbonewannabe
11-16-2018, 03:10 PM
UCF has some control. To me, they have to put themselves out for buy games at a competitive rate (I'm not sure what that is now for G5 schools. $1M? $1.5M?) or try to get 2-1 deals, or some combination of the two, to fill all four non-conference games. It's certainly possible that they could put themselves out there and nobody want to play them because they dont' want to pay money or take a 2-1 deal for games they think they might lose. If that happens, then I think they've done what they can and all you can ask them to do is win the games they play. But they have to show that they tried for top tier games from top tier conferences. They can't go schedule Vandy and Wake Forest. They really need to at least offer to play the best expected teams from ACC, Big 12, and Pac 12, and then top four teams from the SEC or Big 10.

Pretty much what I think, at least get a 2 for 1 deal so they have a schedule like I said. At Oklahoma, at Penn St, and then have a home against Clemson, those games make their schedule at least respectable. Right now their toughest team on their schedule is probably equal to La Tech who we had for Homecoming.

They were supposed to play UNC this year before the Hurricane so they are at least upgrading some. I just think they aren't really trying to get a schedule like that. One game they can win against a P5 is probably all they are trying to get to say they beat someone.

Jack Lambert
11-16-2018, 03:12 PM
If they go with out a lost and win their NW6 Bowl game they will claim one. I really think the NCAA should keep a school from claiming a NC with all the schools and conferences agreeing to the Play off system. Either you are in the play off system or you not.

But on a side note I wish they would put them at number four and they will learn real fast they are really not shit. Let Bama or Clemson put that ass whipping on them.

Commercecomet24
11-16-2018, 03:18 PM
If they go with out a lost and win their NW6 Bowl game they will claim one. I really think the NCAA should keep a school from claiming a NC with all the schools and conferences agreeing to the Play off system. Either you are in the play off system or you not.

But on a side note I wish they would put them at number four and they will learn real fast they are really not shit. Let Bama or Clemson put that ass whipping on them.

Exactly! Auburn could've stopped all this crap last year if they would've showed up but Gus even screwed that up and now the rest of CFB has to listen to the UCF nonsense.

RocketDawg
11-16-2018, 08:37 PM
Pretty much what I think, at least get a 2 for 1 deal so they have a schedule like I said. At Oklahoma, at Penn St, and then have a home against Clemson, those games make their schedule at least respectable. Right now their toughest team on their schedule is probably equal to La Tech who we had for Homecoming.

They were supposed to play UNC this year before the Hurricane so they are at least upgrading some. I just think they aren't really trying to get a schedule like that. One game they can win against a P5 is probably all they are trying to get to say they beat someone.

Would a team like Clemson ever agree to play in Orlando? I don't think so.

Tbonewannabe
11-16-2018, 09:58 PM
Would a team like Clemson ever agree to play in Orlando? I don't think so.

Might have to be a 2 for 1 or even 3 for 1. If they want more respect then go to 3 road games.

DownwardDawg
11-16-2018, 10:17 PM
It should have always been an 8 team playoff. It’s gay that it’s not 8 teams. These arguments would be nonexistent if it were 8!teams. It doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to figure it out. Teams lose me UCF and Boise would make it from time to time and get beat but that would silence all the BS.

Maroonthirteen
11-16-2018, 11:16 PM
Cue auburn sucks video.

TUSK
11-16-2018, 11:31 PM
Why doesn't UCF just beat all of the teams on their (100 somethin' rated SOS) schedule 63-7 if they wanna get more consideration from the CFPC???

Also, they prolly should try allowing fewer points to teams like Memphis (30), FAU (36) and Temple (40)...

I think things like this my hep em out...

MetEdDawg
11-17-2018, 12:35 AM
How many of you would be cool with Cohen scheduling UCF game 1 of the regular season?

To me it's a lose lose. You beat them and you validate the overrated talk. You lose and now you have a G5 loss on your resume.

Tbonewannabe
11-17-2018, 12:45 AM
How many of you would be cool with Cohen scheduling UCF game 1 of the regular season?

To me it's a lose lose. You beat them and you validate the overrated talk. You lose and now you have a G5 loss on your resume.

I agree, let the crap conferences do it. We have enough good teams on our schedule already.

TUSK
11-17-2018, 03:45 AM
I agree with the 2 previous posts.... the risk/reward ratio (for MSU) is disadvantageous.

Sienfield
11-17-2018, 08:41 AM
If they expanded to an 8 game playoff then UCF would be in the playoffs every year.