PDA

View Full Version : Ed Oliver & Houston

Matt3467
11-16-2018, 12:22 PM
Anyone see Oliver blow his lid at his coach because he was told he couldn't wear a black jacket since those were reserved for active players? Oliver has been out the past several games for a knee contusion and it looks as though he's not going to come back at all. Appears he's going the Joey Bosa route. I don't know this for sure, but I think Coach Applewhite at Houston knows Oliver isn't going to play another snap and feels that Oliver is being selfish and disrespectful towards the team which is why he was so adamant about the jacket. Seems more and more players are forgoing bowl games and lately seasons to stay healthy for the draft. I can see the reasoning here $$$, but it's a very selfish thing to do and I don't believe players should be able to do that. It reminds me of the one and dones in college basketball. There has to be something in place to prevent that. These players are given full ride scholorships and should therefore play if able to do so. Anyway, just my thoughts. Would love to hear others opinion on the matter.

Btw, Oliver, a once sure fire top 2 pick, has been dropping in the mocks lately and this latest antic may drop him out of the top 15 entirely.

Tbonewannabe
11-16-2018, 12:52 PM
It does seem like he is using an injury that he would normally play through to shut it down for the season. At least Bosa had a legitimate injury that required surgery. I understand Bosa getting the surgery so he would be recovered by the NFL combine, otherwise he has to sit it out of the combine testing if he plays through it this year at Ohio State. Fournette was similar in my opinion. I didn't think as much about him skipping the bowl to start recovering. Didn't McCaffrey just sit out just in case of injury? I can't remember if he was actually injured when he skipped the bowl.

Matt3467
11-16-2018, 01:53 PM
It does seem like he is using an injury that he would normally play through to shut it down for the season. At least Bosa had a legitimate injury that required surgery. I understand Bosa getting the surgery so he would be recovered by the NFL combine, otherwise he has to sit it out of the combine testing if he plays through it this year at Ohio State. Fournette was similar in my opinion. I didn't think as much about him skipping the bowl to start recovering. Didn't McCaffrey just sit out just in case of injury? I can't remember if he was actually injured when he skipped the bowl.

McCaffrey sat out to not risk injury. I think there was another half a dozen or so that did the same thing last bowl season. Games aren't as interesting when star players are sitting out. Imagine if Simmons and Sweat decided to sit out for ours.

parabrave
11-16-2018, 02:06 PM
McCaffrey sat out to not risk injury. I think there was another half a dozen or so that did the same thing last bowl season. Games aren't as interesting when star players are sitting out. Imagine if Simmons and Sweat decided to sit out for ours.

I for one wouldn't blame Simmons, Sweat and even Mclaurin one bit if they sit out the bowl game. No use getting hurt in the fing music city bowl and bowing millions of dollars.

HoopsDawg
11-16-2018, 02:13 PM
My take is that I lost a good deal of respect for Applewhite.

Tbonewannabe
11-16-2018, 02:23 PM

I completely understand because none of those guys were playing for anything. If you aren't in the Playoff then there really isn't that big of a reason to risk it. It was great to beat Michigan in the Gator Bowl but would it have been that big of a deal if Fletcher Cox sat out the Music City against Wake Forest?

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2018, 02:32 PM
My biggest question about this entire Oliver situation is: why doesn't Houston have enough coats for everyone?

Are they that poor?

I'm on Major's side, if there are limited coats, why are there limited coats?

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2018, 02:33 PM
My take is that I lost a good deal of respect for Applewhite.

Completely disagree. He has a team rule that everyone must follow. I don't at all understand losing respect for Applewhite

Tbonewannabe
11-16-2018, 02:35 PM
My biggest question about this entire Oliver situation is: why doesn't Houston have enough coats for everyone?

Are they that poor?

That seems to be the biggest question.

fader2103
11-16-2018, 02:36 PM
I agree with Shotgun. If it was a team rule then everyone should follow it. You don't get special privileges for being a top draft pick. If you don't want to play then pack your sh*t up and get out of the athletic facility.

Dawg61
11-16-2018, 02:41 PM

Are they that poor?

The coats are for active players and I believe it's a NCAA rule not just a team rule but not positive on that. It's dumb and Applewhite should of just let him wear the coat. He wasn't harming anyone, it's cold and he was cheering on his team. Gotta think Oliver could be a potential big donor to the program down the line. No sense burning a bridge with him over a damn coat.

Jarius
11-16-2018, 02:42 PM
I completely agree with Oliver for sitting out. He made an ass out of himself last night though. If you do not want to
Play, that is fine. Completely understand. If you do not want to follow simple team rules, get your ass off the sideline.

msudawglb
11-16-2018, 03:06 PM
I completely agree with Oliver for sitting out. He made an ass out of himself last night though. If you do not want to
Play, that is fine. Completely understand. If you do not want to follow simple team rules, get your ass off the sideline.

Houston has lost 2 of their last 3, all games that Oliver has sat out. I'm betting Applewhite is frustrated at his best player for sitting during those losses to "get well". I agree with Applewhite for enforcing a rule that applies to all. I'm betting he's a little tired of Oliver putting himself above the team.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2018, 03:36 PM
The coats are for active players and I believe it's a NCAA rule not just a team rule but not positive on that. It's dumb and Applewhite should of just let him wear the coat. He wasn't harming anyone, it's cold and he was cheering on his team. Gotta think Oliver could be a potential big donor to the program down the line. No sense burning a bridge with him over a damn coat.

But it's a team rule. How many other guys were sitting out and not wearing a coat?

Lord McBuckethead
11-16-2018, 03:36 PM
Houston has lost 2 of their last 3, all games that Oliver has sat out. I'm betting Applewhite is frustrated at his best player for sitting during those losses to "get well". I agree with Applewhite for enforcing a rule that applies to all. I'm betting he's a little tired of Oliver putting himself above the team.

I didn't see it, but I am going to agree with the players here, unless you are in the playoff. Why risk it. Every bowl game is an exhibition, except for the 3 games of the playoffs. Its a great time to get your younger players PT as well.

HoopsDawg
11-16-2018, 03:52 PM
But it's a team rule. How many other guys were sitting out and not wearing a coat?

Applewhite tried to take the coat off of him in front of everyone. That's absurd.

LC Dawg
11-16-2018, 03:55 PM
Applewhite's job is to coach Houston not coddle stars so I don't blame him. Oliver is trying to become a millionaire so I don't blame him.
This is going to get worse unless they expand the playoffs. If I were advising Sweat and Simmons and State plays in the Music City or similar bowl I would advise them to skip it. It will eventually start affecting end of year rivalry games as well.
The NCAA needs to expand the playoffs and also get phenomenal insurance policies for their stars.

Tbonewannabe
11-16-2018, 03:56 PM
Applewhite tried to take the coat off of him in front of everyone. That's absurd.

It definitely looked petty on Applewhite's part.

Jarius
11-16-2018, 03:57 PM

Because the trainer had already tried to get him to take it off and he would not listen. The guy is not playing. The coats are for starting players and he had already been asked to take it off. Follow instructions like everyone else did. It is not hard. The rest of the bench warmers were probably cold too. You know what they did not do? They did not try to fight the coach. They did not put the jacket on, because the jackets are for people playing, per the head coach.

fader2103
11-16-2018, 04:01 PM
I didn't see it, but I am going to agree with the players here, unless you are in the playoff. Why risk it. Every bowl game is an exhibition, except for the 3 games of the playoffs. Its a great time to get your younger players PT as well.

How is every game an exhibition? If you don't win a game in September that could cost you for playing in the playoffs. Pretty much every game outside of bowl games are not exhibition games, they are must wins and also they are tryouts if you are good enough to play at a higher level. I totally disagree with your statement.

Dawg61
11-16-2018, 04:15 PM
I'm not a big fan of only having jackets for starters during cold games. That's just dumb unnecessary punishment to the others players.

Jarius
11-16-2018, 04:28 PM
The guy was in street clothes. He knows the temperature before he goes out. He can bring his own coat. It’s really really really not anyone’s fault but his own that he looked like a petulant child throwing a temper tantrum. No one else did what he did.

Dawg61
11-16-2018, 04:43 PM
Not excusing Oliver's reaction. It was obviously childish and deserves a dropping in the draft but I also can't stand the coach that goes out of his way to show everyone he's the boss all the time and embarrasses a player on the sidelines by physically trying to enforce a very stupid rule during a cold night. Don't touch other players and try to remove the coat they are wearing. Both parties look bad here imo.

Really Clark?
11-16-2018, 05:18 PM
My take is Applewhite is correct but handled it at the wrong time and way completely (why they only have jackets for starters? Odd but if it?s a rule it?s a rule) and Oliver was completely over the top and petulant. An assistant or trainer or whoever couldn?t get Oliver to take it off during the game? They would have probably got butt chewed on the sideline from me for bringing that crap to me during a game while coaching. Your an adult with authority, handle it. I assume the game was still going on at the time?

At half time Oliver and I and the staff member involved will have a little heart to heart away from everyone else. Oliver will be told the jacket stays in the locker room during the second half because that is the rule for everyone. He will also be told there will be consequences for violating the rule and for disrespecting the coach. Probably not very gently either. He could accept that and be allowed back to cheer on his team, knowing punishment is coming or...that depends on how he still reacts to what he is being told at the time.

The coach and I will have another one on one about handling issues and what caused the escalation between them. Same with Oliver. Don?t do it on the sidelines, don?t do it in front of the team (players lash out a lot of times because they are embarrassed when it?s in front of their teammates). Be firm, remind him what the rule about jackets are and that he will pay a consequence for violating that rule. It will be worse because he did not do as instructed by a member of my staff.

Percho
11-16-2018, 05:41 PM
Yep, everyone should just put himself above everyone else.

Then then would never have been any hero's.

Maybe even Jesus would not have died for the sin of the world.

TUSK
11-16-2018, 06:54 PM
My take is Applewhite is correct but handled it at the wrong time and way completely (why they only have jackets for starters? Odd but if it?s a rule it?s a rule) and Oliver was completely over the top and petulant. An assistant or trainer or whoever couldn?t get Oliver to take it off during the game? They would have probably got butt chewed on the sideline from me for bringing that crap to me during a game while coaching. Your an adult with authority, handle it. I assume the game was still going on at the time?

At half time Oliver and I and the staff member involved will have a little heart to heart away from everyone else. Oliver will be told the jacket stays in the locker room during the second half because that is the rule for everyone. He will also be told there will be consequences for violating the rule and for disrespecting the coach. Probably not very gently either. He could accept that and be allowed back to cheer on his team, knowing punishment is coming or...that depends on how he still reacts to what he is being told at the time.

The coach and I will have another one on one about handling issues and what caused the escalation between them. Same with Oliver. Don?t do it on the sidelines, don?t do it in front of the team (players lash out a lot of times because they are embarrassed when it?s in front of their teammates). Be firm, remind him what the rule about jackets are and that he will pay a consequence for violating that rule. It will be worse because he did not do as instructed by a member of my staff.

This^... Mistakes were made all around... and, as usual, the "worst" mistake is the one that costs the most...

Dawgology
11-16-2018, 07:10 PM
We need to start a gofundne to buy them more coats. Poor guys

RocketDawg
11-16-2018, 08:07 PM

Are they that poor?

The article I read said they were long coats (not jackets) and were for starters. I assumed it was so they would stand out on the sidelines. My first reaction that it was a stupid rule, but I know nothing about that player's history.

Pit Bull
11-17-2018, 01:10 AM
Oliver was once considered the #1 pick in the upcoming draft. His little tirade could drop him some spots and some big bucks.

TUSK
11-17-2018, 01:31 AM
Oliver was once considered the #1 pick in the upcoming draft. His little tirade could drop him some spots and some big bucks.

Yup, I saw a Mock today that Oliver has dropped to 11th overall (from 2nd) and 4th among DTs (from 1st) behind Williams, Brown and Simmons...

Damage control has already begun.

msbulldog
11-17-2018, 04:40 AM
If Oliver drops it helps our guy Jeffery Simmons.

TUSK
11-17-2018, 05:34 AM

Fact. Simmons has a great shot a top 10.....

Jarius
11-17-2018, 07:39 AM

If Simmons got to play against teams limes SMU for his conference championship I could only imagine what his stats and film would look like. To me, it says something that a 5 star player chose to go to a school in a conference where he would not be challenged. That is not good to me. He may just really love Houston, but he could have planed anywhere and chose to go play against really mediocre teams and be a really big fish in a minnow bucket.

Really Clark?
11-17-2018, 11:04 AM
If Simmons got to play against teams limes SMU for his conference championship I could only imagine what his stats and film would look like. To me, it says something that a 5 star player chose to go to a school in a conference where he would not be challenged. That is not good to me. He may just really love Houston, but he could have planed anywhere and chose to go play against really mediocre teams and be a really big fish in a minnow bucket.

His brother was already playing for Houston when he signed

dawgoneyall
11-17-2018, 11:33 AM
Not excusing Oliver's reaction. It was obviously childish and deserves a dropping in the draft but I also can't stand the coach that goes out of his way to show everyone he's the boss all the time and embarrasses a player on the sidelines by physically trying to enforce a very stupid rule during a cold night. Don't touch other players and try to remove the coat they are wearing. Both parties look bad here imo.

You always seem to defend a demonstration of a lack of character.