PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wolken Article

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2018, 09:48 AM
https://twitter.com/usatodaysports/status/1063440077139951616?s=21

Agree it's not a conspiracy, but the SEC puts some of its refs in the firing line, due to allegiances and it's also human nature due to not not wanting to be the scape goat of a psychotic fan base in which most lack education or common reasoning skills

NotCoJoMo
11-16-2018, 10:02 AM
I usually like Wolken’s material, but it seems like he just asserts his conclusion to be true at the beginning, rather than actually presenting an argument in favor of his position. (See ‘begging the question’)

WSOPdawg
11-16-2018, 10:02 AM
Not to beat a dead horse, but why has no national sports writer realized that the same official that called the phantom block-in-the-back penalty that nullified a TD this year the same official that saw Ridley go out of bounds (and threw his hat to acknowledge such action) only to come back into the field of play and catch a long TD pass two years ago?

Was it actually verified that this was the same referee or was this a rumor making the message boards? I was really hoping these two clips would be highlighted somewhere in the same story with follow-up questioning ensuing.

Bully13
11-16-2018, 10:09 AM
SECing just SECing. Yall been sleeping at the wheel? Member how we got 17d in Atlanta? Follow the money.

gravedigger
11-16-2018, 10:13 AM
It?s abject laziness on all conferences that don?t train their refs or replay booth in how to do their jobs correctly.

The sec?s lack of a response is an issue. The refs being protected with the silence is an issue.

Political Hack
11-16-2018, 10:56 AM
It?s abject laziness on all conferences that don?t train their refs or replay booth in how to do their jobs correctly.

The sec?s lack of a response is an issue. The refs being protected with the silence is an issue.

I disagree. I don't think the calls themselves are a conspiracy, but the failure to acknowledge it and implement corrective actions is absolutely a conspiracy. That's why it continues to happen.

StateDawg44
11-16-2018, 11:14 AM
I disagree. I don't think the calls themselves are a conspiracy, but the failure to acknowledge it and implement corrective actions is absolutely a conspiracy. That's why it continues to happen.

I agree with this. There are entirely way too many moving parts for the calls themselves to be a conspiracy in a game setting. The delay of game negated TD call is hard to get past in that mindset though. 99.9% of the time that play is called dead as the ball reaches the QB's hands and anything develops at all. Much less a TD.

There is too much for them to lose to come out and acknowledge a call or calls could've impacted the game in favor of one team. Credibility and big money are at stake after the fact.

Cooterpoot
11-16-2018, 11:16 AM
Not to beat a dead horse, but why has no national sports writer realized that the same official that called the phantom block-in-the-back penalty that nullified a TD this year the same official that saw Ridley go out of bounds (and threw his hat to acknowledge such action) only to come back into the field of play and catch a long TD pass two years ago?

Was it actually verified that this was the same referee or was this a rumor making the message boards? I was really hoping these two clips would be highlighted somewhere in the same story with follow-up questioning ensuing.

Because it wasn't the same guy.

DancingRabbit
11-16-2018, 11:28 AM

True. But it IS bullshit that the ref who made that blatant non-call last year was even on the field for this year's Bama game.

WSOPdawg
11-16-2018, 11:44 AM

That's what I was wondering b/c you typing that it wasn't the same guy is the 1st time I've heard it. To me, it would be common sense and non-coincidental if both calls were made by the same referee.

Cooterpoot
11-16-2018, 11:45 AM
Agree. And that was the SEC's top crew or #2.

spbdawg
11-16-2018, 11:49 AM
#

Jack Lambert
11-16-2018, 12:00 PM
I think the SEC turns a blind eye to anything that helps the SEC.

DogsofAnarchy
11-16-2018, 12:09 PM
Y’all remind me of the people who now say, “yea, The Clarion-Ledger is biased!!” It’s been happening for years. The game is corrupted in the truest sense of the word.

spbdawg
11-16-2018, 12:17 PM
#

dawgday166
11-16-2018, 02:20 PM
I agree with Wolken. That's why Bama loses games here and there ... it's due to bad calls **** Otherwise, they'd never lose.
It all evens out *****************************************

yjnkdawg
11-16-2018, 02:30 PM
That's what I was wondering b/c you typing that it wasn't the same guy is the 1st time I've heard it. To me, it would be common sense and non-coincidental if both calls were made by the same referee.

The ref that made the call this year was on the officiating crew last year, but Skelton ( his Dad played QB for Bear Bryant) made the Ridley call last year.

shannondawg
11-16-2018, 05:30 PM
When they live and work in Bama, they can't help but think about the reaction they get the next week.

Coursesuper
11-16-2018, 05:36 PM
I think the SEC turns a blind eye to anything that helps the SEC.

The SEC turn a blind eye when it makes them money.

bulldawg28
11-16-2018, 05:59 PM
When they live and work in Bama, they can't help but think about the reaction they get the next week.

This, which is why imo no referee that's attended or lives in a state should be allowed to ref in that particular state or team's game.

maroonmania
11-16-2018, 11:25 PM
His opening line is totally asinine. Whether there is or is not a conspiracy has NOTHING to do with whether Alabama is really good or not. Of course Alabama is really good but they are not unbeatable and they are certainly getting a LOT of biased calls whether there is an actual conspiracy or not. That fact really can't even be debated at this point.