PDA

View Full Version : OT: Tech question.

shannondawg
11-16-2018, 09:12 AM
I have to use Hughes Satellite out here in the country. The streaming was so buffered last night i just had to turn off the game,

My question: In watching You Tube if buffering is needed, I can just hit pause and let the buffering catch up and give me a smooth ride on out,

I can't figure out if can do that on streaming our games. Delay would be fine, as I usually let our games be recorded so I can start late, as to fast fwd thru commercials. I hit the pause button and it just takes me out of the game.

If any of you tech wizards have any suggestions, please let me know.

stalkingpoon
11-16-2018, 10:18 AM
I have to use Hughes Satellite out here in the country. The streaming was so buffered last night i just had to turn off the game,

My question: In watching You Tube if buffering is needed, I can just hit pause and let the buffering catch up and give me a smooth ride on out,

I can't figure out if can do that on streaming our games. Delay would be fine, as I usually let our games be recorded so I can start late, as to fast fwd thru commercials. I hit the pause button and it just takes me out of the game.

I haven't used ESPN+ in a while, but I remember being able to rewind the game. Maybe you can rewind a few minutes back to allow the stream to buffer and get ahead of you.

Dawgtini
11-16-2018, 12:47 PM
Doesn't directly answer your question, but if you have decent LTE signal in your area, you may consider switching to an LTE modem rather than Hughes. I only had ADSL in my area and switched to LTE. Even when it is on 4G it is 1000% better. Now the whole family can stream without anyone really noticing an issue. Oh, and it was a lot cheaper too when I added it to my current cell plan (AT&T).

shannondawg
11-16-2018, 05:24 PM
It would be a big step down from my 75" sony to my cell phone but I may try it

Looked this morn on watch ESPN and there was a rerun that had the option of pausing ect. Only time I watch a rerun of a game is when see it in person, and want to see what I missed at the game.

I have Verizon, switched ATT because of Directv , but the signal was no good out here, so switched back to Verizon, Its not great but better out here than ATT.

Thanks everyone for your help its appreciated.

Dawgtini
11-16-2018, 06:57 PM
Verizon has an LTE modem option. I have it connected to a google mesh Wifi routing setup. I consistently get around 30mbps download speeds.

RocketDawg
11-16-2018, 08:12 PM
I haven't used ESPN+ in a while, but I remember being able to rewind the game. Maybe you can rewind a few minutes back to allow the stream to buffer and get ahead of you.

Doesn't it depend on whether your DVR is in the loop. Being able to Pause and Rewind are a function the DVR I think, and mine's not active when I use my Roku. In fact, it totally bypasses my satellite receiver, and presumably is the same for a cable box.

shannondawg
11-17-2018, 09:25 AM
You boys have totally lost me. I think I'll just keep bitching about my Hughes setup, until I can get a 6 year old out here to figure it out for me.

shannondawg
11-29-2018, 10:46 AM
I finally called Verizon and they have a modem that plugs in to a pc or tv. Verizon Global Modem USB730L only $75 or 75$ with an extension.
★★★★★

I put the dollar sign before and after, Seems to me when speaking you say 75 dollars, so it's very natural when typing to do the same. Who should i contact about this, ScoobaDawg?

Dawgbite
11-29-2018, 11:05 AM
Why not just get an Apple TV box and mirror whats on your phone to the Tv? That's what I do. I assume there will be an extra monthly charge for the modem.

shannondawg
11-29-2018, 11:20 AM
Oh Lord, here we go again. Wont the box box be extra?

basedog
11-29-2018, 11:24 AM
Oh Lord, here we go again. Wont the box box be extra?

Just a few goat meat will buy what you need***

shannondawg
11-29-2018, 11:54 AM
For your info smart ass, I think I got Airserver downloaded and think its working on my iMac. Time will tell. Now to try on my tv.

Thanks Dawgbite for getting me to try another method. I looked at the Apple boxes they were a lot more expensive than the Verizon Modem, but that's with a 2 yr obligation which I don't mine.

airserver seems the be the simplest way to go.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-29-2018, 11:57 AM

Big difference in Youtube and LIVE events.

Dawgbite
11-29-2018, 12:43 PM
Apple makes a cable that physically plugs into your phone and connects to the HDMI port on the TV. I have one of those and it works great. I'll occasionally use it on the patio TV since it doesn't have Apple TV.

Lord McBuckethead
11-29-2018, 01:41 PM
Just get a LTE modem, add it to your cell phone line, delete you Hughes net account, and stream everything through a Roku.
It's not that hard. and probably cheaper.

Lord McBuckethead
11-29-2018, 01:41 PM
Or move the civilization. Somethings just are not natural for the boon docks.

Dawgbite
11-29-2018, 03:41 PM
Or move the civilization. Somethings just are not natural for the boon docks.

Amen brother! I live on a four lane highway and have no internet options other than satellite or LTE. The half gravel half tar and chip road just behind my property has high speed fiber. I can stand at my fence and see the other road but I'm not eligible. My wife has a home office and often works from home so I wouldn't get her started on the topic.

Jack Lambert
11-29-2018, 03:51 PM
Lack of TV will give you more babies. Just saying.

Dawgbite
11-29-2018, 04:06 PM
Somebody would have some splainin to do. I got fixed years ago!

Parker Street
11-29-2018, 06:44 PM

When you stream anything you are using data. How much data does Hughes give you per month?

I have an uncle who lives in Mississippi and started dating a woman in rural Arkansas. The only internet service she has is her phone.

My uncle checked out Hughes, Viasat, and others for her house and he said you get very little data for outrageous prices.

shannondawg
11-29-2018, 07:16 PM
Hughes is basically the only option here, I called another upstart that looks really good, but not available here, but i imagine other than a price differential of a few dollars not worth the switch if available. Hughes is ok during the daytime and really only use it at night to try to stream a ball game and 70% of time buffering. Not worth it most nights.

Airserver was quite easy to get on my iMac, but a booger to get on my android tv, worked on it all day but finally got the verizon modem on there as on of the networks. It was much easier when i realize the tv did not work like a mac system. I was a long time windows user and just got pissed off at bill gates with his ego and liberalism, and went and bought a iMac. Took forever to learn the difference but know it now. In reality i couldn't say which system is better or easier to use, But least mr gates ain't gettin anything. Basically tuning the hot spot on the phone on did the trick.

Now waiting a game to stream.