PDA

View Full Version : Looking at 2019....

CadaverDawg
11-15-2018, 01:27 PM
I know it's early, but this season is a failure so I'm looking ahead to 2019. I actually like what I see in a lot of places. Not counting incoming freshmen or potential transfers, how do you guys imagine our two deep looking for 2019 as of November 2018?

Offense:
QB - KT
RB - Kylin/Gibson
WR - Guidry/Williams/Whop/Thomas/Mixon
TE - Green/Jones/Cumbest/Spivey
OL - Eiland/Williams/Story/????

Defense:
DL - Jones/Adams/Spencer/Autry/Lovett/Crumedy/I'm forgetting some?
LB - Gay/Erroll/??
CB - Cam/Smitherman/??
S - Murphy/Landrews/will Cole be back?/Who else?

I feel like if we can get a QB with some passing ability, our offense COULD be a strength, as scary as that is to say again. We just have a lot of weapons if we can get them the damn ball. But can our OL protect and create some running lanes for Kylin?

Defensively, I feel like even without Jeff & Sweat, DL will be a strength...just not as big of a strength. LB seems super talented but thin, am I forgetting someone at LB besides future pros Gay & Thompson? I think CB will be solid but I'm unsure of depth. And safety seems to be a concern, but maybe I'm just too used to seeing Abram and McLaurin and I know what they bring weekly....who will be our two deep at S?

We return a lot of talent. KT was a much more prominent passer than Fitz out of HS, so there's no excuse for Moorhead to not greatly improve this year's disgusting offense by kickoff 2019

Ifyouonlyknew
11-15-2018, 01:33 PM
We return 2 SEC RB - Kylin & Gibson

Only WR we lose is Jesse Jackson

Lose Johnson at TE but mark my words Dontea Jones will be the best TE we've had since Malcolm Johnson

We basically return 4 starting OL - Eiland Williams Reese & Phillips has played almost as many snaps as Eiland. Story & Parker have played good snaps this year too so the starting group should be fine

DE is set - Rivers Jones & Adams back. Inside Autry will start then we get very young. Lovett Crumedy Young & Pickering. That's a lot of talent but no one has played. Don't be surprised if Spencer doesn't move inside to provide some experience

LB - We don't lose anyone

CB - Dantzler All SEC guy next year returning & Smitherman has played well. Tyler Williams will take that jump next year. The question is who the 4th CB is

Safety - Murphy Cole Landrews Morgan-Walker & add Fred Peters.

A good accurate passing QB could make this team very formidable.

msbulldog
11-15-2018, 01:34 PM
Offense-what scares me-Moorhead
Defense-what encourages me-Shoop!

CadaverDawg
11-15-2018, 01:42 PM

Lose Johnson at TE but mark my words Dontea Jones will be the best TE we've had since Malcolm Johnson

We basically return 4 starting OL - Eiland Williams Reese & Phillips has played almost as many snaps as Eiland. Story & Parker have played good snaps this year too so the starting group should be fine

DE is set - Rivers Jones & Adams back. Inside Autry will start then we get very young. Lovett Crumedy Young & Pickering. That's a lot of talent but no one has played. Don't be surprised if Spencer doesn't move inside to provide some experience

CB - Dantzler All SEC guy next year returning & Smitherman has played well. Tyler Williams will take that jump next year. The question is who the 4th CB is

I thought Leo was a Senior.

How much of a jump do you think Guidry, Whop, Williams make with another off season? And do you think KT is enough of a passer to make this O what it can be...or are we simply going to have to expect subpar until we get a Moorhead QB or transfer in here?

timotheus
11-15-2018, 02:22 PM
How does Odom figure in next season on D? Are Pickering or King Ani(nashville) expected to log minutes as true frosh? The juco transfer safety should play rite away I think.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-15-2018, 02:23 PM
I thought Leo was a Senior.

How much of a jump do you think Guidry, Whop, Williams make with another off season? And do you think KT is enough of a passer to make this O what it can be...or are we simply going to have to expect subpar until we get a Moorhead QB or transfer in here?

Leo is a Jr

I think we have a solid WR core. It's not great but I think they could produce with a good accurate QB. We've had WR running open pretty much all season.

That's the 10 million dollar question. I don't know or care honestly if it's KT, Kelly Bryant, or whoever at QB we have to have a QB who can read & process defenses & then get the ball to our playmakers where they can make plays.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-15-2018, 02:24 PM
How does Odom figure in next season on D? Are Pickering or King Ani(nashville) expected to log minutes as true frosh? The juco transfer safety should play rite away I think.

If Spencer moves inside I'd expect Odom to be the 4th DE. Pickering is the only DL I could see come in & play next year.

Johnson85
11-15-2018, 02:25 PM
Defense, I think we'll be very solid next year, but nothing special for the SEC. Just hard to replace two talents like Simmons and Sweat. Still, if our offense can give it any help, it should be sufficient to give us a chance in most games other than Bama.

I think on offense it's all about what we have at QB. Obviously, the fact that KT wasn't a consideration this year when Fitz was struggling to say the least is a glaring concern. We do know KT is fast enough to be a threat running, even if he isn't the load that Fitz is. I don't think we can be confident that KT can match the A&M version of Fitz. But presumably he can't be worse than the other versions of Fitz we saw, so I think the only games he maybe swings this year are A&M and Auburn.

Looking at next year, it looks like we should be able to out talent ULL, USM, KSU, and Abilene Christian. We should also be able to take care of Ole Miss at home. So if Moorhead is anything better than Crooms level, we have 5 wins on the schedule. Then you have Arkansas, UT, and Auburn that I don't think you know what you're going to get, but I think that's the expected order of difficulty if no coach really surprises (and/or Gus doesn't implode). All three of those are on the road. I think if Moorhead is a really good coach, his offense will start to click and we can get two of those or maybe three if none of them really take a step forward. Then you have UK. I'm not sure what they have coming back. I'm assuming they probably belong somewhere with the former group. You have A&M, who I expect to take a step forward with Jimbo, and LSU, who I expect to still out talent us, and then Bama.

Obviously some teams will be surprisingly good or surprisingly bad, but assuming that balances out, I think 5 or 6 wins and we'll know we have something at least slightly better than Croom, but will still be very concerned. We get to 7 wins, and I think that tells us we have to wait to know we have. 8 or 9 wins will be very encouraging.

While our schedule overall isn't great because three of what will likely be tossup games are on the road, we do have something of an advantage that our first four games are at home and should basically be escalating difficulty. Get through that stretch and then manage to split the @Aub and @UT games (which it's very possible one or even both of those could be in dumpster fire mode at that point), and we're set up very nicely for 7 or 8 wins.

ULL (New Orleans)
USM
KSU
UK
@Auburn
@UT
LSU
@A&M
@Ark
Bama
Abiline Christian
Ole Miss

confucius say
11-15-2018, 02:27 PM

What have you heard on possibility of some guys transferring out? Anybody you don't expect back as of now?

msstate7
11-15-2018, 02:30 PM
Defense, I think we'll be very solid next year, but nothing special for the SEC. Just hard to replace two talents like Simmons and Sweat. Still, if our offense can give it any help, it should be sufficient to give us a chance in most games other than Bama.

I think on offense it's all about what we have at QB. Obviously, the fact that KT wasn't a consideration this year when Fitz was struggling to say the least is a glaring concern. We do know KT is fast enough to be a threat running, even if he isn't the load that Fitz is. I don't think we can be confident that KT can match the A&M version of Fitz. But presumably he can't be worse than the other versions of Fitz we saw, so I think the only games he maybe swings this year are A&M and Auburn.

Looking at next year, it looks like we should be able to out talent ULL, USM, KSU, and Abilene Christian. We should also be able to take care of Ole Miss at home. So if Moorhead is anything better than Crooms level, we have 5 wins on the schedule. Then you have Arkansas, UT, and Auburn that I don't think you know what you're going to get, but I think that's the expected order of difficulty if no coach really surprises (and/or Gus doesn't implode). All three of those are on the road. I think if Moorhead is a really good coach, his offense will start to click and we can get two of those or maybe three if none of them really take a step forward. Then you have UK. I'm not sure what they have coming back. I'm assuming they probably belong somewhere with the former group. You have A&M, who I expect to take a step forward with Jimbo, and LSU, who I expect to still out talent us, and then Bama.

Obviously some teams will be surprisingly good or surprisingly bad, but assuming that balances out, I think 5 or 6 wins and we'll know we have something at least slightly better than Croom, but will still be very concerned. We get to 7 wins, and I think that tells us we have to wait to know we have. 8 or 9 wins will be very encouraging.

While our schedule overall isn't great because three of what will likely be tossup games are on the road, we do have something of an advantage that our first four games are at home and should basically be escalating difficulty. Get through that stretch and then manage to split the @Aub and @UT games (which it's very possible one or even both of those could be in dumpster fire mode at that point), and we're set up very nicely for 7 or 8 wins.

ULL (New Orleans)
USM
KSU
UK
@Auburn
@UT
LSU
@A&M
@Ark
Bama
Abiline Christian
Ole Miss

Splitting UT and auburn won't be easy. Guarantano is coming on big time. He has a passer rating of 149.2 for the season, and he's topped 150 in 3 of his last 4 sec games including Georgia, Kentucky, and auburn. For reference, we're after KB and he had a 131 rating at Clemson vs the acc. JG is a stud in the making

Dawg61
11-15-2018, 02:32 PM
Osirus Mitchell is a sophomore

Ifyouonlyknew
11-15-2018, 02:43 PM
What have you heard on possibility of some guys transferring out? Anybody you don't expect back as of now?

So far nobody that I would consider a loss.

Commercecomet24
11-15-2018, 02:43 PM
Pickering has to add a little weight to play DT but I'm telling y'all that kid is gonna be a difference maker. He's a hard worker and has the drive to be successful. We are becoming DLU!

Johnson85
11-15-2018, 02:45 PM
Splitting UT and auburn won't be easy. Guarantano is coming on big time. He has a passer rating of 149.2 for the season, and he's topped 150 in 3 of his last 4 sec games including Georgia, Kentucky, and auburn. For reference, we're after KB and he had a 131 rating at Clemson vs the acc. JG is a stud in the making

I don't expect to split UT and Auburn. But that's probably what we need to do to have a good season. If we lose @Aub and @UT, we'll probably turn that into a 4 game losing streak and avoiding a six game losing streak will require us to snap out of it on the road @ark.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-15-2018, 02:45 PM
Pickering has to add a little weight to play DT but I'm telling y'all that kid is gonna be a difference maker. He's a hard worker and has the drive to be successful. We are becoming DLU!

He's around 285 he'll play next season at 295-300.

Commercecomet24
11-15-2018, 02:46 PM
He's around 285 he'll play next season at 295-300.

Right, I know that's the plan and knowing Nathan he'll get there.

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2018, 02:52 PM

He was also the #1 dual threat QB in the country out of high school. I am talking about the UT QB.

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2018, 02:54 PM
What freshmen might contribute? Jarrian Jones at safety or WR?

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2018, 02:56 PM

ULL (New Orleans)
USM
KSU
UK
@Auburn
@UT
LSU
@A&M
@Ark
Bama
Abiline Christian
Ole Miss

One thing to consider is that Mullen historically won 6-7 games when the schedule flipped like this so being disappointed if we don't win 7 or 8 games isn't logical.

Jack Lambert
11-15-2018, 03:06 PM
I know it's early, but this season is a failure so I'm looking ahead to 2019. I actually like what I see in a lot of places. Not counting incoming freshmen or potential transfers, how do you guys imagine our two deep looking for 2019 as of November 2018?

Offense:
QB - KT
RB - Kylin/Gibson
WR - Guidry/Williams/Whop/Thomas/Mixon
TE - Green/Jones/Cumbest/Spivey
OL - Eiland/Williams/Story/????

Defense:
DL - Jones/Adams/Spencer/Autry/Lovett/Crumedy/I'm forgetting some?
LB - Gay/Erroll/??
CB - Cam/Smitherman/??
S - Murphy/Landrews/will Cole be back?/Who else?

I feel like if we can get a QB with some passing ability, our offense COULD be a strength, as scary as that is to say again. We just have a lot of weapons if we can get them the damn ball. But can our OL protect and create some running lanes for Kylin?

Defensively, I feel like even without Jeff & Sweat, DL will be a strength...just not as big of a strength. LB seems super talented but thin, am I forgetting someone at LB besides future pros Gay & Thompson? I think CB will be solid but I'm unsure of depth. And safety seems to be a concern, but maybe I'm just too used to seeing Abram and McLaurin and I know what they bring weekly....who will be our two deep at S?

We return a lot of talent. KT was a much more prominent passer than Fitz out of HS, so there's no excuse for Moorhead to not greatly improve this year's disgusting offense by kickoff 2019

Why are you leaving Reese out? Isn't he a Sophomore? He might be a senior but I thought the two tackles were Sophomores.

NCDawg
11-15-2018, 03:15 PM
Offense-what scares me-Moorhead
Defense-what encourages me-Shoop!

I agree with this. Moorhead's slow offense-QB looking over to the sideline to see what play to run and changing the plays, getting the play off when the clock has almost run out-sometimes snapping the ball back when the QB is not even ready- OL holding their stance forever and sometimes jumping to get an illegal procedure penalty-I just don't think Moorhead's system is going to work. In addition, I don't think our OL is good enough to challenge for the top portion of the SEC.

Johnson85
11-15-2018, 03:53 PM
One thing to consider is that Mullen historically won 6-7 games when the schedule flipped like this so being disappointed if we don't win 7 or 8 games isn't logical.

Mullen historically won 6-7 games because of recruiting failures. We are going to be thin, so we could get derailed by injuries, but the only big time question mark we have that I know of is QB, and we have talent there, it's just a question of whether moorhead can teach any of them to run his scheme.

I won't necessarily be disappointed, but it will be concerning if we follow up the shit show our offense has been this year without enough improvement to get us to at least 7 wins next year. That assumes we don't get derailed by injuries at spots we can't afford (like in 2011) and that our schedule doesn't end up being a gauntlet (I don't think Ark has the talent to turn it around in one year because they have such a scheme change, but A&M and UT could make big jumps next year and Auburn doesn't have a talent issue, LSU could get better as the Ogre delegates more, which could leave us with with just 7 games where we're not significantly out talented. It's even possible that Stoops has turned the corner at UK and they will only have a small drop off next year).

Covercorner2
11-15-2018, 04:00 PM
If Spencer moves inside I'd expect Odom to be the 4th DE. Pickering is the only DL I could see come in & play next year.

Weird that Spencer would be a candidate to move inside considering he played OLB two years ago.

CadaverDawg
11-15-2018, 06:06 PM
If Joe loses to USM, we all agree that he is to be fired that night or we riot, correct?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-15-2018, 06:20 PM
Weird that Spencer would be a candidate to move inside considering he played OLB two years ago.

He's up to 285 when the season started.

Todd4State
11-15-2018, 06:27 PM
He's up to 285 when the season started.

What about possibly moving Fletcher Adams inside?

I have a feeling that one of our DT's is going to be someone among the Spencer, Adams, or Kobe Jones group.

Todd4State
11-15-2018, 06:35 PM
I'll give it a shot.

QB- KT (I think we get a transfer but since the OP said not to include transfers)
RB- Kylin Hill. I'm breaking the rules again but if we get Kareem Vance that could improve our running game a good bit.
WR- Guidry
WR- Mitchell (Hopefully a JUCO or Whop replaces him)
Slot- Deddrick Thomas
TE- Dontae Jones.

LT- Phillips
LG- Reese
C- Daryl Williams
RG- Story or Parker
RT- Eiland

DE- Rivers
DT- Autry
DT- Spencer/Adams/Kobe Jones
DE- Kobe Jones

LB- Leo
LB- Erroll
LB- Gay

CB- Dantzler
CB- Smitherman
S- Cole
S- Morgan-Walker (I think it's Fred Peters)
Nickle- Landrews

K- Christmann
P- Day

Ifyouonlyknew
11-15-2018, 06:38 PM

I have a feeling that one of our DT's is going to be someone among the Spencer, Adams, or Kobe Jones group.

I'd keep him outside

Goldendawg
11-15-2018, 06:40 PM
I agree with this. Moorhead's slow offense-QB looking over to the sideline to see what play to run and changing the plays, getting the play off when the clock has almost run out-sometimes snapping the ball back when the QB is not even ready- OL holding their stance forever and sometimes jumping to get an illegal procedure penalty-I just don't think Moorhead's system is going to work. In addition, I don't think our OL is good enough to challenge for the top portion of the SEC.

I agree. I do not think this O will ever work against the SEC D's, too fast and too talented. JMO.

Goldendawg
11-15-2018, 06:44 PM
If Joe loses to USM, we all agree that he is to be fired that night or we riot, correct?

100%. Remember all those games in Jackson (hated the drive), when we were always their Super Bowl. Nothing for us to gain and bragging rights for them. Those days better be long gone, especially with Jo.

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2018, 06:53 PM
Mullen historically won 6-7 games because of recruiting failures. We are going to be thin, so we could get derailed by injuries, but the only big time question mark we have that I know of is QB, and we have talent there, it's just a question of whether moorhead can teach any of them to run his scheme.

I won't necessarily be disappointed, but it will be concerning if we follow up the shit show our offense has been this year without enough improvement to get us to at least 7 wins next year. That assumes we don't get derailed by injuries at spots we can't afford (like in 2011) and that our schedule doesn't end up being a gauntlet (I don't think Ark has the talent to turn it around in one year because they have such a scheme change, but A&M and UT could make big jumps next year and Auburn doesn't have a talent issue, LSU could get better as the Ogre delegates more, which could leave us with with just 7 games where we're not significantly out talented. It's even possible that Stoops has turned the corner at UK and they will only have a small drop off next year).

The biggest reason is our toss up games are on the road. We historically have lost to LSU and Bama no matter the location. We have beaten Auburn more when it is at home.

Homedawg
11-15-2018, 08:27 PM

Fletcher is too light to play inside.

NCDawg
11-15-2018, 09:55 PM
One good thing going for us next year is Kylin Hill. I don't think there is a better RB in the country than Hill.

msstate7
11-15-2018, 09:57 PM
One good thing going for us next year is Kylin Hill. I don't think there is a better RB in the country than Hill.

The country? Georgia has a couple I think are better. I do think hill is very good though

DownwardDawg
11-16-2018, 08:22 AM

Correct

Coursesuper
11-16-2018, 09:20 AM

We will have to have one of the redshirts step up here, Lovett or one of the others is a fit here, the guys listed are ends, they cant play the 3 tech.

tcdog70
11-16-2018, 10:15 AM
I'll give it a shot.

QB- KT (I think we get a transfer but since the OP said not to include transfers)
RB- Kylin Hill. I'm breaking the rules again but if we get Kareem Vance that could improve our running game a good bit.
WR- Guidry
Slot- Deddrick Thomas
TE- Dontae Jones.

LT- Phillips
LG- Reese
C- Daryl Williams
RG- Story or Parker
RT- Eiland

DE- Rivers
DT- Autry
DE- Kobe Jones

LB- Leo
LB- Erroll
LB- Gay

CB- Dantzler
CB- Smitherman
S- Cole
Nickle- Landrews

K- Christmann
P- Day

pretty good.. but I think Mitchell has been better than Guidry. I still don't think Guidry is SEC quality.

Covercorner2
11-16-2018, 10:19 AM
I'll give it a shot.

WR- Guidry
Slot- Deddrick Thomas
TE- Dontae Jones.

LT- Phillips
LG- Reese
C- Daryl Williams
RG- Story or Parker
RT- Eiland

DE- Rivers
DT- Autry
DE- Kobe Jones

LB- Leo
LB- Erroll
LB- Gay

CB- Dantzler
CB- Smitherman
S- Cole
Nickle- Landrews

K- Christmann
P- Day

Kareem Vance?

Covercorner2
11-16-2018, 10:20 AM
Fletcher is too light to play inside.

Delete

Cooterpoot
11-16-2018, 10:34 AM
I agree. I do not think this O will ever work against the SEC D's, too fast and too talented. JMO.

It's being run in the NFL. It'll work if we get the players.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2018, 10:39 AM
Kareem Vance?

I'm sure he means Kareem Walker. Even though if we get him I wouldn't expect him to be more than 3rd strong depth.

RougeDawg
11-16-2018, 05:49 PM
The biggest reason is our toss up games are on the road. We historically have lost to LSU and Bama no matter the location. We have beaten Auburn more when it is at home.

LSU isn?t the gimme L like is has historically been. We played like total shit and the score should have been much lower than it was. Any hint of an offense next season and we should be favored.

I do not see much, if any, drop on defense next year. Our DL is loaded with talent. Maybe not top heavy talent like this year but we will be fine. Need to finish strong and hopefully it clicks for a QB In the off season. Need to bring in a RPO QB consultant or send them to some type of camp. If all these other guys can pick it up around the country, why can?t our QBs pick it up. Maybe getting the same coaching from an outside guy will make the light come on.

Homedawg
11-16-2018, 06:00 PM
LSU isn?t the gimme L like is has historically been. We played like total shit and the score should have been much lower than it was. Any hint of an offense next season and we should be favored.

I do not see much, if any, drop on defense next year. Our DL is loaded with talent. Maybe not top heavy talent like this year but we will be fine. Need to finish strong and hopefully it clicks for a QB In the off season. Need to bring in a RPO QB consultant or send them to some type of camp. If all these other guys can pick it up around the country, why can?t our QBs pick it up. Maybe getting the same coaching from an outside guy will make the light come on.

People that keep saying we aren't going to drop on defense really need a reality check. 3 guys going in top 2 rounds. Another very good safety, a cb and 2 more Dt 's. I don't expect ya to go to ole miss standards but we won't be nearly as good. To think otherwise is just silly.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2018, 07:41 PM
People that keep saying we aren't going to drop on defense really need a reality check. 3 guys going in top 2 rounds. Another very good safety, a cb and 2 more Dt 's. I don't expect ya to go to ole miss standards but we won't be nearly as good. To think otherwise is just silly.

This year is an elite Top 5 Defense. I do think next year will be a Top 25-30 Defense. Nothing like this year but still a strength.

Commercecomet24
11-16-2018, 07:49 PM
This year is an elite Top 5 Defense. I do think next year will be a Top 25-30 Defense. Nothing like this year but still a strength.

Sure there's gonna be some drop off but I believe as you, that this can be a top 25 type defense.

NotCoJoMo
11-16-2018, 07:50 PM
IYOK, do you expect Charles Moore to contribute next year?

msstate7
11-16-2018, 07:53 PM

25-30 defenses this year are Wisconsin, cal, ucf, usm, BYU, and Utah st. If we had that level defense this season, we very well could be 0-6 in the sec. We need to get better in a hurry offensively.