PDA

View Full Version : Looking towards 2023

Todd4State
11-15-2018, 01:42 AM
For the people that think this years team is the only one that will have a chance to be special. 2023 could be Joe Moorhead's 2014. Or 1998. IF he stays here is what we might be looking at the way too distant future.

QB- Shrader 5th year senior who fits his offense. 4 star recruit.

RB- We really need to find someone that is at least Kylin Hill caliber in 2020 or 2021. Witherspoon is a wild card to me at this point and far from a lock to commit.

WR- E. Jai Mason (2020 commit) RS Jr or Sr, Lideatrick Griffin (2020 commit) RS Jr or Sr in the slot, and Antonio Harmon (2021 lean) Jr. That's three four star receivers to catch passes from our four star QB. Mingo would be nice but I don't think he would redshirt if we even flip him. Then we have Kyziah Pruitt and Quentin Torbor who will both be fifth year seniors.

TE- Need to find at least a Farrod Green caliber TE in 2020 or 2021. We are typically solid at TE even if we underutilize them.

OL- We really need to flip Charles Cross. That would give us a four star OT and I think our goal every year should be to land at least one four star o-lineman a year. If we do that it would give us 2-3 four star o-linemen a year if they pan out. Cross would be a fifth year senior possibly in 2023, as would current commits Brandon Cunningham, Darius Washington, and Bryven Jones. We will almost certainly add to that group in this recruiting class. Next year there appear to be some promising o-line prospects in Mississippi like Xavier Hill who has an offer from us and then there are some guys like Calvin McMillan and Kelin Williams who may earn offers down the road. By 2023 we should have much better o-line depth and hopefully some veteran players at every position.

DL- Guys who could be fifth year seniors by 2023- Three UA All-Americans in De' Monte Russell, Charles Moore, Nathan Pickering, and four star Ani Izuchukwu. Hopefully we can add McKinley Jackson to that group in 2020 but he could be a legit three year guy.

LB- We'll probably have Derrick Hall (Trending MSU) who is a 4 star UA All-American as a fifth year senior, Ahmad Johnson (2020 MSU lean) as a RS JR or SR, and hopefully Tyrese Hopkins (2020 prospect) as a RS JR or SR. Getting Nakobe Dean would be huge but it's doubtful it happens and even more doubtful that he would be around for 2023 as I don't expect him to redshirt and possibly leave after his junior year. You could switch Hall and Ani as far as positions go.

CB- DJ James and Martin Emerson will be fifth year seniors. Both are three stars as is Greg Brooks who would also be a fifth year senior. Flipping Brandon Turnage would be huge but appears unlikely. We do have a commitment from Javorrius Selmon who is a four star prospect and I could see him playing the nickel role for us and thriving like Landrews.

S- Jarrian Jones is a another four star UA AA who would be a fifth year senior if he redshirts and then we have Javious Purvis who is underrated and he will also be a fifth year senior.

K/P/KO/Return- Need to find some kickers but that's a different bag of apples.

I know that our roster will be completely different in 2023 than what I posted above. My point is we are recruiting a LOT more four stars and are doing it on BOTH sides of the ball. And obviously at this way too early point there are some areas of need like running back and maybe corner. We have four years to fill it so there's zero reason to worry about it at this point. My other point is recruiting like this is what it is going to take to have a special season. It's not just one side of the ball. It's both that have to be elite. Except for the offense in 1999. Anyway I don't think we are going to have to wait as long for a potential special season because we are starting to recruit at a higher level AND our profile as a program is higher than it has ever been. Really it's a matter of player development and bringing them in to campus.

And then as far as the schedule in 2023- we get Southeast Louisiana, USM, and Arizona in Starkville and Tulane in NOLA. As far as the East instead of playing an East blueblood we get South Carolina in Columbia and Kentucky in Starkville. And then we get A&M, Arkansas, and Auburn on the road and we get LSU, Bama (hopefully Saban is retired by this point), and Ole Miss in Starkville. Who know how any of those teams will be at that point but it looks like a good schedule on paper.

2023 may be special. It may not be. But I do like where the direction of the program is going from a talent standpoint.

Lord McBuckethead
11-15-2018, 01:56 AM
Yeah, maybe we should look at 2022 instead. You have way too many 5th year seniors on that team. How about a bunch of Seniors with 3 solid years experience.

99jc
11-15-2018, 07:01 AM
Moorhead won't sniff 2023

BrunswickDawg
11-15-2018, 08:33 AM
Does this mean we can stop worrying about the 2021 OL???