PDA

View Full Version : What does OM do with Luke?

msstate7
11-14-2018, 11:15 PM
If the next 2 games play out like expected, OM will finish 5-7. Do they fire Luke?

If I'm OM, I'm all for losing out. Next season, om will pretty much be starting over as a football program with most of their elite talent leaving. I'd be looking at how bill clark got UAB going almost immediately after the program shut down, and want that guy overseeing the rebuild. There's also Neal brown at Troy. I really think petrino could be done, but perhaps not... he might be dangerous with corral and their next flock of young WRs. No other sec program likely to be hiring this year either. If they're smart, they pull the trigger after the egg bowl.

Thoughts?

cheewgumm
11-14-2018, 11:20 PM
Totally agree.

Nothing to add.

Tbonewannabe
11-14-2018, 11:26 PM
UM is a special circumstance because they have to get a coach that is willing to work with the Network. Any decent coach that isn't willing to get caught up in that isn't going there.

msstate7
11-14-2018, 11:28 PM
UM is a special circumstance because they have to get a coach that is willing to work with the Network. Any decent coach that isn't willing to get caught up in that isn't going there.

That's true. Clark doesn't strike me as that type of guy.

fishwater99
11-14-2018, 11:33 PM
Luke gets another year with the Network $$ flowing.

Mobile Bay
11-15-2018, 12:30 AM
Luke is a caretaker doing damage control for this year and perhaps a year or two more and happy to do it. He knows it. He will rebuild the network and bring in another coach when the time is right. I fear it may be Neil Brown.

Todd4State
11-15-2018, 12:46 AM
What do they do with him? Nothing.

bulldawg28
11-15-2018, 06:48 AM
That's true. Clark doesn't strike me as that type of guy.

Yes he is/ would be. It's apart of coaching.

msstate7
11-15-2018, 07:06 AM
Yes he is/ would be. It's apart of coaching.

Well obviously they all allow it. Some allow it like Mullen, and some allow it like freeze. I picture Clark closer to Mullen than freeze

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2018, 07:45 AM
Well obviously they all allow it. Some allow it like Mullen, and some allow it like freeze. I picture Clark closer to Mullen than freeze

There is a difference in ignoring booster helping "kids in need" and actively running the Network to the point of calling the Hookers for recruits yourself.

Does UM require that kind of hands on coach? I think UM could have gotten a decent coach this time but chose Luke for obvious reasons. They want a coach "All In". Whether Neil Brown or Clark want to risk their name tied with being a cheater, I guess we will see if UM goes shopping.

thf24
11-15-2018, 07:45 AM
If they don't fire him this year, they will next. They have a solid chance to go 2-10 next season.

Howboutdemdogs
11-15-2018, 07:53 AM
Luke will stay for at least a year, giving Ole Piss a chance to rally the Network. He will be the scape goat and they will start anew in two years.

gravedigger
11-15-2018, 08:01 AM
If the next 2 games play out like expected, OM will finish 5-7. Do they fire Luke?

If I'm OM, I'm all for losing out. Next season, om will pretty much be starting over as a football program with most of their elite talent leaving. I'd be looking at how bill clark got UAB going almost immediately after the program shut down, and want that guy overseeing the rebuild. There's also Neal brown at Troy. I really think petrino could be done, but perhaps not... he might be dangerous with corral and their next flock of young WRs. No other sec program likely to be hiring this year either. If they're smart, they pull the trigger after the egg bowl.

Thoughts?

I agree. But I dont think they do it unless the Egg bowl is an embarassment with a 20 pt loss or more.

TNDawg35
11-15-2018, 08:18 AM
Apparently Luke will get a yr ext after this yr. something about it being built into his contract. All the NM homers think he is there for a couple more yrs.

msstate7
11-15-2018, 08:20 AM
Apparently Luke will get a yr ext after this yr. something about it being built into his contract. All the NM homers think he is there for a couple more yrs.

Good news for us

Leeshouldveflanked
11-15-2018, 08:37 AM
Ole Miss will win the next two and have a Top 20 class this year.

msstate7
11-15-2018, 08:41 AM
Ole Miss will win the next two and have a Top 20 class this year.

If they do, I'm done with joe. I don't think they do though

shannondawg
11-15-2018, 08:50 AM
Luke is their equivalent of our Rick Ray!

BrunswickDawg
11-15-2018, 09:04 AM
If they do, I'm done with joe. I don't think they do though

They are buoyed a bit right now in the rankings by being at 27 commits - when the limit is 25. We know they will lose their top recruit to baseball. They lose any of their other 4*s and they will be in the high 20s at best - with a top heavy class of WR and DBs that doesn't address a lot of their actual needs. They could surprise us, but our class is far more solid.

msstate7
11-15-2018, 09:07 AM
They are buoyed a bit right now in the rankings by being at 27 commits - when the limit is 25. We know they will lose their top recruit to baseball. They lose any of their other 4*s and they will be in the high 20s at best - with a top heavy class of WR and DBs that doesn't address a lot of their actual needs. They could surprise us, but our class is far more solid.
Oh I fully expect them to push top 20 in recruiting. It was the prediction of them beating us I was speaking of. I'm happy (at the moment) with joe's recruiting effort. I think we could've done better with such a huge class of good players in miss, but not a bad job if we close with hall and a few more good ones

basedog
11-15-2018, 09:07 AM
Man the hate for Joe is way over the top.

Weird to me the love for Clark and Brown, Coaching in the Sec is another animal, not many last like Mullen and Saban now days.

As for as Luke and Ole Miss, I could care less, one thing I like about Saban, his Coach speak to fans and players, "we worry about what we can control and do".

So to keep this on topic about Luke, F*ck him and I could care less reading about the Cheaters!

8-4 and going to a bowl is always a good thing, more practice and exposure is way better with recruits rather than sitting at home during the holidays watching others get the glory.

We eat our own, some on ED aren't realistic with Msu football, pretty disgusting as all isn't lost with winning and yes it could have been better. One year isn't enough time, if so Saban would have been fired his first year at Bama. It ain't about stats it's about winning.

Carry on.

msstate7
11-15-2018, 09:11 AM

Weird to me the love for Clark and Brown, Coaching in the Sec is another animal, not many last like Mullen and Saban now days.

As for as Luke and Ole Miss, I could care less, one thing I like about Saban, his Coach speak to fans and players, "we worry about what we can control and do".

So to keep this on topic about Luke, F*ck him and I could care less reading about the Cheaters!

8-4 and going to a bowl is always a good thing, more practice and exposure is way better with recruits rather than sitting at home during the holidays watching others get the glory.

We eat our own, some on ED aren't realistic with Msu football, pretty disgusting as all isn't lost with winning and yes it could have been better. One year isn't enough time, if so Saban would have been fired his first year at Bama. It ain't about stats it's about winning.

Carry on.

Well, unlike you, I'm interested in what every sec west team does bc it very much matters to us. I wish every west school would make a bad hire/hold a guy too long

AROB44
11-15-2018, 09:33 AM

Carry on.

+1 Rep given!!!

Jack Lambert
11-15-2018, 09:41 AM
The question is what does the new Chancellor do with the Athletics department.

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2018, 09:57 AM

I know this is an extremely dumb question since they ran off Dan Jones who I have heard is an actual great person, does the next Chancellor let the Network run wild like it currently does? It takes either a pretty immoral person or someone who just really doesn't understand what is happening to let the Athletic office run like it does.

We all know the Oxfordpalooza that happens with hookers and cash for 17-18 year olds. I honestly think Dan Jones was trying to drag UM into the 21st Century by pushing out the old Confederate symbols. I could see him also causing issues because he didn't agree with coaches buying hookers for underage kids.

basedog
11-15-2018, 09:58 AM
Well, unlike you, I'm interested in what every sec west team does bc it very much matters to us. I wish every west school would make a bad hire/hold a guy too long

7 you've already stated how you feel about Joe as have several on ED. One year isn't enough time for ANY first year Coach. It's not like we have fallen off the earth, we are ranked, we have a winning season, we will go to a bowl and yes we didn't exceed fans expectations.

But to say "I'm done with Joe" after this year is silly and beyond belief. Patience is needed, let's see what happens in the future.

As for as you carrying about other schools, good for you cause I ain't staying up worrying how many games others win or lose. I have way too much other things to do and worry about.

8-4 with a chance to be 9-4 and ranked is way better than losing and not ranked.

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2018, 10:00 AM
7 you've already stated how you feel about Joe as have several on ED. One year isn't enough time for ANY first year Coach. It's not like we have fallen off the earth, we are ranked, we have a winning season, we will go to a bowl and yes we didn't exceed fans expectations.

But to say "I'm done with Joe" after this year is silly and beyond belief. Patience is needed, let's see what happens in the future.

As for as you carrying about other schools, good for you cause I ain't staying up worrying how many games others win or lose. I have way too much other things to do and worry about.

8-4 with a chance to be 9-4 and ranked is way better than losing and not ranked.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to basedog again.

msstate7
11-15-2018, 10:03 AM

Let's get to 8-4 first. What if we finish 6-6?

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2018, 10:07 AM

Then you have to make more room on your Joe sucks bandwagon.

msstate7
11-15-2018, 10:10 AM

I hope not. I want us to finish 9-4 and do it again next season. I want to be laughed at for being wrong

WSOPdawg
11-15-2018, 10:12 AM

Well said, 7. Everybody is saying we should roll Arky and Ole Miss and on paper it looks that way, but I can see us easily winning a 10-pt game Saturday (spread is 21+) and losing in Oxford due to JoMo NOT understanding the rivalry aspects of this game and again choosing to NOT... ...RTDFB.

At present, I have little faith in JoMo to do what it take to get a win in favor of his insistence on running his offense be damned.

basedog
11-15-2018, 10:14 AM

Still 6-6 isn't going nor should fire a first year Coach. Let's put it this way, the National Media would eat Msu alive, also Spears on Sec network said it best imo about our program, QB away from being elite this year. Totally agree.

It's more important for Msu fans to support our program than to just not attend, give money and bitch all the time about winning and going to a bowl especially for a first year Coach.

Here is what will be interesting to me about Joe, who or what changes will he make with his staff and players along with adjusting his schemes. Time will tell and all isn't lost as the naysayers thing on ED.

msstate7
11-15-2018, 10:14 AM
Well said, 7. Everybody is saying we should roll Arky and Ole Miss and on paper it looks that way, but I can see us easily winning a 10-pt game Saturday (spread is 21+) and losing in Oxford due to JoMo NOT understanding the rivalry aspects of this game and again choosing to NOT... ...RTDFB.

At present, I have little faith in JoMo to do what it take to get a win in favor of his insistence on running his offense be damned.

The very ones criticizing the ones for saying we were wrong for chalking up wins over Florida and Kentucky are doing the exact same thing with om and ark.

basedog
11-15-2018, 10:15 AM

LOL, post on the day.

msstate7
11-15-2018, 10:15 AM
Still 6-6 isn't going nor should fire a first year Coach. Let's put it this way, the National Media would eat Msu alive, also Spears on Sec network said it best imo about our program, QB away from being elite this year. Totally agree.

It's more important for Msu fans to support our program than to just not attend, give money and bitch all the time about winning and going to a bowl especially for a first year Coach.

Here is what will be interesting to me about Joe, who or what changes will he make with his staff and players along with adjusting his schemes. Time will tell and all isn't lost as the naysayers thing on ED.

I don't want joe fired after this season even if we go 6-6. I will have no confidence in him going forward though, and very little if we go 7-5. I think he deserves next season regardless

basedog
11-15-2018, 10:17 AM

Are you really concerned about how much we win by? At this point of the season it really doesn't matter only IF we get beat.
Our defense is really good and I think we have a much better chance of winning the last two rather than us losing. Just saying.

basedog
11-15-2018, 10:20 AM
I don't want joe fired after this season even if we go 6-6. I will have no confidence in him going forward though, and very little if we go 7-5. I think he deserves next season regardless

And that's ok. I have some questions as well, but I also know being an ex Coach, sometimes it takes time to make adjustments and evaluate what needs to be done. Let's beat Ark first then worry about OM. Always one game at a time.

yjnkdawg
11-15-2018, 10:31 AM
Luke is a caretaker doing damage control for this year and perhaps a year or two more and happy to do it. He knows it. He will rebuild the network and bring in another coach when the time is right. I fear it may be Neil Brown.

Luke won't rebuild "The Network" as it doesn't need rebuilding nor is it broke. Anyway, no OM HC is going to rebuild "the Network even if it needed rebuilding. There are others (Big Money Boosters) who handle that. "The Network " is still viable.

yjnkdawg
11-15-2018, 10:37 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Tbonewannabe again.

yjnkdawg
11-15-2018, 10:40 AM

Carry on.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to basedog again.

WSOPdawg
11-15-2018, 10:55 AM
The very ones criticizing the ones for saying we were wrong for chalking up wins over Florida and Kentucky are doing the exact same thing with om and ark.

^^^ BINGO!!!

WSOPdawg
11-15-2018, 10:57 AM
Are you really concerned about how much we win by? At this point of the season it really doesn't matter only IF we get beat.
Our defense is really good and I think we have a much better chance of winning the last two rather than us losing. Just saying.

No, I'm concerned THAT we win... period and NOT have a shit-show repeat of UK & UF!!!

Especially in a rivalry game on the road when we will be favored by 10+ points. We run the ball in Vaught Hemmingway next Thursday night, we win going away. We come out and try to throw the ball b/c that's what JoMo says we do and his offense stalls (like UK, UF and UF), we lose -- plain and simple.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-15-2018, 11:14 AM
No, I'm concerned THAT we win... period and NOT have a shit-show repeat of UK & UF!!!

Especially in a rivalry game on the road when we will be favored by 10+ points. We run the ball in Vaught Hemmingway next Thursday night, we win going away. We come out and try to throw the ball b/c that's what JoMo says we do and his offense stalls (like UK, UF and UF), we lose -- plain and simple.

I get what you're saying but you're comparing 2 Top 17 teams with Top 40 defenses (KY Top 20) vs arguably the 2 worst teams in the SEC with defenses ranked 73 (AK) & 125 (OM). It's comparing apples to dump trucks.

basedog
11-15-2018, 11:14 AM

Two interesting games, should be fun.

Liverpooldawg
11-15-2018, 11:28 AM
The Rebels aren't going to do anything to Luke this year, and probabaly the next. They may have to fire him then is they completely tank. If they don't I look for them to keep him till just before their repeat offender status expires. Then they go all in to find another Hugh Freeze.

WSOPdawg
11-15-2018, 11:32 AM
I get what you're saying but you're comparing 2 Top 17 teams with Top 40 defenses (KY Top 20) vs arguably the 2 worst teams in the SEC with defenses ranked 73 (AK) & 125 (OM). It's comparing apples to dump trucks.

IYOK, agree we should handle these two teams with ease... should... SHOULD. Even Las Vegas thinks so. And I think we will, but I also expect Arky to keep it under the 3 TDs we are currently favored by.

But taking our Road Warrior track record into account (I'm being sarcastic) does not instill a warm-n-fuzzy feeling going into Oxford next week. Again, we'll be 10-pt favorites, but we were 15-pt favorites last year and we saw how that turned out. We were a 2 TD favorite this year in Lexington and saw hot that turned out.

I may be comparing "apples to dump trucks" when looking at our season thus far, but I'm not going to allow JoMo to fool me (ANYMORE) into thinking that he's got the answers to beat Ole Miss when he's never experienced this rivalry before and given that he didn't truly understand the true potential of this team he was inheriting entering 2018. Expectations of 10-2 and a NY6 bowl game were not unfounded.

Leeshouldveflanked
11-15-2018, 11:35 AM

Whatever Daddy Archie wants them to do...

Ifyouonlyknew
11-15-2018, 11:38 AM
IYOK, agree we should handle these two teams with ease... should... SHOULD. Even Las Vegas thinks so. And I think we will, but I also expect Arky to keep it under the 3 TDs we are currently favored by.

But taking our Road Warrior track record into account (I'm being sarcastic) does not instill a warm-n-fuzzy feeling going into Oxford next week. Again, we'll be 10-pt favorites, but we were 15-pt favorites last year and we saw how that turned out. We were a 2 TD favorite this year in Lexington and saw hot that turned out.

I may be comparing "apples to dump trucks" when looking at our season thus far, but I'm not going to allow JoMo to fool me (ANYMORE) into thinking that he's got the answers to beat Ole Miss when he's never experienced this rivalry before and given that he didn't truly understand the true potential of this team he was inheriting entering 2018. Expectations of 10-2 and a NY6 bowl game were not unfounded.

Well maybe this will make you feel better about the OM game they're 0-3 at home against SEC teams. So the odds even out.

LC Dawg
11-15-2018, 11:55 AM

This is a question that any decent coach is going to want answered before taking that job.
They currently are without a chancellor and they have an incompetent athletic director who may be replaced soon.

WSOPdawg
11-15-2018, 12:09 PM
Well maybe this will make you feel better about the OM game they're 0-3 at home against SEC teams. So the odds even out.

Now this I like :)

DogsofAnarchy
11-15-2018, 12:14 PM

Thoughts?

They have a great shot at winning the Egg Bowl.

BiscuitEater
11-15-2018, 12:17 PM
I'd be looking at how bill clark got UAB going almost immediately after the program shut down, and want that guy overseeing the rebuild.

Thoughts?

Bill Clark has done a remarkable job at UAB BUT.. He is playing teams like Savannah State, Coastal Carolina, Tulane, Charlotte, LA Tech, Rice, North Tx, UTEP, USM, Middle TN.

NOT SEC Teams

msstate7
11-15-2018, 12:19 PM
Bill Clark has done a remarkable job at UAB BUT.. He is playing teams like Savannah State, Coastal Carolina, Tulane, Charlotte, LA Tech, Rice, North Tx, UTEP, USM, Middle TN.

NOT SEC Teams

He's also playing those teams with the same talent level. Not like he's fielding an sec team playing in conf USA

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2018, 01:12 PM
He's also playing those teams with the same talent level. Not like he's fielding an sec team playing in conf USA

The exact same could be said for Moorhead at Fordham. What he did at Fordham was basically putting Vandy in SEC East contention. Fordham has traditionally been a dumpster fire.

msstate7
11-15-2018, 01:19 PM
The exact same could be said for Moorhead at Fordham. What he did at Fordham was basically putting Vandy in SEC East contention. Fordham has traditionally been a dumpster fire.

Joe was impressive at Fordham. Not like it hadn't been done before though... Dave clawson was 19-6 there his last 2 years 2002-2003