PDA

View Full Version : Transfer QBs

msstate7
11-14-2018, 10:04 PM
The recruiting thread discussion on Kelly Bryant got me thinking about which QB transfers have been good that transferred from one power 5 team to another power 5 team bc they got beat out at the original school.

Brissett is one.

Not sure if baker mayfield was beaten out at T.T.

Are there many instances of this that I just don't recall?

Commercecomet24
11-14-2018, 10:09 PM
Russell Wilson for one

msstate7
11-14-2018, 10:10 PM
Russell Wilson for one

He wasn't beat out

msstate7
11-14-2018, 10:12 PM
Snead at OM was fairly successful

Commercecomet24
Troy Aikman, Will Grier, Kyler Murray.

Commercecomet24
He wasn't beat out

Sorry didn't see the beat out part. Just saw transfer. My bad.

msstate7
11-14-2018, 10:13 PM
Troy Aikman, Will Grier, Kyler Murray. I'm sure I could come up with a couple dozen more.

Will Grier was beaten out. Not sure about aikman. Murray is a good one

Tbonewannabe
11-14-2018, 10:14 PM
It depends on how good the QB that beat you out. Lawrence is probably the best freshman QB since Johnny Football. The QB that went to TCU was pretty good. Does Stidham count? Gardener Minshew count? Did Cam get kicked out of UF or did he leave because he was behind Tebow?

Commercecomet24
11-14-2018, 10:15 PM
Joe Flacco was beat out but he went D2, but was successful at Delaware and a high draft pick.

Tbonewannabe
11-14-2018, 10:15 PM
Does any of the A&M QBs count or is that just on Sumlin?

msstate7
11-14-2018, 10:16 PM
Coker

Commercecomet24
11-14-2018, 10:16 PM

I know Troy left cause of playing time and because he didn't fit the wishbone offense

msstate7
11-14-2018, 10:17 PM
Does any of the A&M QBs count or is that just on Sumlin?

Hill at tcu

Commercecomet24
11-14-2018, 10:17 PM
It depends on how good the QB that beat you out. Lawrence is probably the best freshman QB since Johnny Football. The QB that went to TCU was pretty good. Does Stidham count? Gardener Minshew count? Did Cam get kicked out of UF or did he leave because he was behind Tebow?

Cam got kicked out over stolen computers

msstate7
11-14-2018, 10:18 PM
I know Troy left cause of playing time and because he didn't fit the wishbone offense

Than yeah, he should count

msstate7
11-14-2018, 10:19 PM
Cam got kicked out over stolen computers

Had cam not done that, urban would've won another natty with him. Urban might still be at Florida

Tbonewannabe
11-14-2018, 10:20 PM
Hill at tcu

That was who I was thinking about.

Commercecomet24
11-14-2018, 10:20 PM
Had cam not done that, urban would've won another natty with him. Urban might still be at Florida

Yeah he definitely would've won at least one more NC

thf24
11-14-2018, 10:22 PM

Grier wasn't beaten out, he was run off after being suspended a year for a banned substance. Unless he also transferred from somewhere prior to Florida that I'm unaware of.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-14-2018, 10:25 PM
Kyler Murray
Trevor Knight
Kenny Hill
Nathan Peterman

Leeshouldveflanked
11-14-2018, 10:25 PM
MGK

msstate7
11-14-2018, 10:31 PM
Was Zach met beat out at Georgia?

Commercecomet24
11-14-2018, 10:33 PM

I believe he was.

msstate7
11-14-2018, 10:39 PM
Etling would have to be one. His rating at LSU was over 150, and he got drafted

dawgday166
11-14-2018, 10:54 PM
Etling would have to be one. His rating at LSU was over 150, and he got drafted

Calling C34!! Could it possibly be that Etling might be >> than Tua?? LOL
Etling in NFL right now I think. We'll see what happens there with Tua.

Dawg61
11-14-2018, 11:21 PM
Ryan Mallett
Jake Coker
Nick Marshall

It's rare because grad transfers have just now started to get popular. Most QBs good enough to win the starting job don't have enough clock time left to lose the job to a star freshman and still be able to transfer. It requires winning the job for over a year at least when they were fresh/soph and then losing it their junior season to a younger player. Just hasn't happened very often at all and the Clemson situation is extremely rare. Bryant lost his job to the #1 rated player outta HS. It's an anomaly situation basically that you can't really draw comparisons to from the past. That doesn't shed an ounce of shade on Bryant though. You have to be perceptive enough to realize that.

msstate7
11-14-2018, 11:23 PM
Ryan Mallett
Jake Coker
Nick Marshall

It's rare because grad transfers have just now started to get popular. Most QBs good enough to win the starting job don't have enough clock time left to lose the job to a star freshman and still be able to transfer. It requires winning the job for over a year at least when they were fresh/soph and then losing it their junior season to a younger player. Just hasn't happened very often at all and the Clemson situation is extremely rare. Bryant lost his job to the #1 rated player outta HS. It's an anomaly situation basically that you can't really draw comparisons to from the past. That doesn't shed an ounce of shade on Bryant though. You have to be perceptive enough to realize that.

Mallet transfered bc of rich rod though, didn't he? Coker absolutely was one. Marshall was a DB at Georgia

Quaoarsking
11-14-2018, 11:55 PM
Anu Solomon, although his career at Baylor ended after an injury in the second game, so who knows if he would have been successful over the course of the year.

Jacob Eason will probably be an example a year from now.

Everett Golson is kind of an example, if you ignore the fact that he kind of sucked at both Notre Dame and Florida State.

Big4Dawg
11-15-2018, 12:13 AM
Baker Mayfield....?

Dawg61
11-15-2018, 01:33 AM
Mallet transfered bc of rich rod though, didn't he? Coker absolutely was one. Marshall was a DB at Georgia

Just cause there's a lack of a large sample size doesn't in anyway translate to Bryant is going to be a bust. He's a talented QB. Just watch the "tape". How many #1 overall HS players have gone to a school where they weren't named the starter in their freshman season? Every #1 player wins the starting job regardless of position at some point in their freshman seasons. It's not like a QB is rated #1 overall every year. Trevor Lawrence is super talented. Bryant is just unfortunate to play a position only one can play at a time and to have a freak freshman come in behind him. I'm a huge Key fan but I'd take one year of Bryant right now especially since it appears Moorhead doesn't have much trust in Key yet.

bulldawg28
11-15-2018, 06:22 AM
MGK

Stellar!

Dawgfan77
11-15-2018, 06:57 AM
Grier was buster for PED instead of sitting out at UF he transferred to WVU

Dawgfan77
11-15-2018, 06:59 AM

No he was accused of rape at UGA kicked out. Went to juco then signed with LSU

msstate7
11-15-2018, 07:09 AM
Grier was buster for PED instead of sitting out at UF he transferred to WVU

That was a typo... meant to say Grier "wasn't" beaten out. McE running Grier off most likely cost McE his job.

Dawgfan77
11-15-2018, 07:20 AM
Seven. I thought about posting this in the recruiting thread but it?s better here
I?m not a big JoMo fan in fact I think he was a terrible hire. However I?m a huge MSU fan and I want the best for MSU. I will criticize the coach but I?m not going to blast the players who bust their collective asses for state. Your criticism of KB is un called for. If a kid wants to visit us and considering signing with us you shouldn?t post negative comments about him. Will KB make us better next year? I don?t know But I would rather find out than to see him sign somewhere else and make that team better. All I?m saying is be careful what you say about a prospect, coaches and recruiting staff could use that against us.

msstate7
11-15-2018, 07:24 AM
Seven. I thought about posting this in the recruiting thread but it?s better here
I?m not a big JoMo fan in fact I think he was a terrible hire. However I?m a huge MSU fan and I want the best for MSU. I will criticize the coach but I?m not going to blast the players who bust their collective asses for state. Your criticism of KB is un called for. If a kid wants to visit us and considering signing with us you shouldn?t post negative comments about him. Will KB make us better next year? I don?t know But I would rather find out than to see him sign somewhere else and make that team better. All I?m saying is be careful what you say about a prospect, coaches and recruiting staff could use that against us.
Eh, I don't see it.

Gus Malzahn and Chad Morris sifting in Bryant's living room, "Kelly, here you see msstate7 saying you ain't no good." Kelly's response, "who the hell is msstate7?" My response to that, "exactly"

I've said my peace though... everyone knows where I stand. Pretty sad day though when I get called out for criticizing a player that will never suit up for us; but fitz gets his leg broke while wearing the maroon and white, and no one takes up for one of our own while he is ripped every day

Dawgfan77
11-15-2018, 07:28 AM
Eh, I don't see it.

Gus Malzahn and Chad Morris sifting in Bryant's living room, "Kelly, here you see msstate7 saying you ain't no good." Kelly's response, "who the hell is msstate7?" My response to that, "exactly".
Then your not smart to think some intern isn?t tasked to look into any advantage they can find. I?m sure we do it as well. From first hand experience in recruiting your doing all you can to get an advantage. You wouldn?t believe what some interns and recruiting staff look into

msstate7
11-15-2018, 07:29 AM
Then your not smart to think some intern isn?t tasked to look into any advantage they can find. I?m sure we do it as well. From first hand experience in recruiting your doing all you can to get an advantage. You wouldn?t believe what some interns and recruiting staff look into

Maybe those interns say look at those state fans destroying fitz every day after he broke the sec rushing record for qbs at state.

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2018, 07:29 AM
Eh, I don't see it.

Gus Malzahn and Chad Morris sifting in Bryant's living room, "Kelly, here you see msstate7 saying you ain't no good." Kelly's response, "who the hell is msstate7?" My response to that, "exactly".

Well at the end of the day, if JoeMo thinks having another QB to compete for the job is a good idea then hopefully we get him. Then I guess they get to possibly redshirt KT while having Mayden as a backup. If KT isn't ready then Bryant is probably the best option unless Joe thinks KT will be ready before next season.

If the rumors of KT just not understanding the offense is true then it is a gamble not to bring someone else in.

dawgday166
11-15-2018, 07:40 AM
Maybe those interns say look at those state fans destroying fitz every day after he broke the sec rushing record for qbs at state.

Good one. I'd give you some rep but need to spread some around. I've been in your corner and still mostly am till Joe proves me wrong .. which I'm praying he will do.

3 years from now, regardless of QB, if our passing game still looks discombulated as it does against good teams now, some folks on here will be saying it's cause Dolla Bill was rated too high as a recruit and Mullen and Hev didn't evaluate him properly **

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2018, 09:58 AM
Stellar!

On the field that guy was pretty damn good. Of course Ole Miss is about the only place that would have kept him eligible.

hacker
11-15-2018, 10:08 AM
Paul says KB has marked Arkansas off his list

msstate7
11-15-2018, 10:10 AM
Paul says KB has marked Arkansas off his list

Auburn the favorite?

StarkVegasSteve
11-15-2018, 10:13 AM
Auburn the favorite?

It's down to us and Missouri. Auburn has basically conceded him to us. So barring Auburn pulling a Cam and opening the checkup way up I believe we're probably in a dead heat with Mizzou and UNC. But it's been stated he wants to be in the SEC so that's why I only mention the two SEC schools as being in the mix.

Dawg61
11-15-2018, 10:17 AM

Oh so this thread really isn't about Bryant it's about you still butthurt over something other posters posted. That's pretty much your theme the last year. Post to piss off other posters. Fitz gets it from both sides. He gets posters sticking up for him and others tearing him down. He's a polarizing player just like he's polarizing on the field. He's either great or terrible and never anything in between. We need a steady game managing QB not Jekyll & Can't Pass if we want to win ten or more games. Jekyll & Can't Pass gets us a 6-4 record. Same can be said about Moorhead right now. He called a great game vs Auburn & aTm and called a total shit show vs Kentucky, LSU, Florida. I'll give him a pass vs Bama except the non timeout called for a review. That was Mullen saving timeouts garbage.

You'll totally ignore the beginning of my post.

louisvilledawg

Johnny Football wasn't a true freshman when he burst onto the scene. Lawrence is def better from a pro potential standpoint.

For the lolz what about Shea Patterson?

msstate7
It's down to us and Missouri. Auburn has basically conceded him to us. So barring Auburn pulling a Cam and opening the checkup way up I believe we're probably in a dead heat with Mizzou and UNC. But it's been stated he wants to be in the SEC so that's why I only mention the two SEC schools as being in the mix.

I won't get into how I feel about KB anymore, but I will be extremely impressed with Moorhead if he pulls this off. Extremely

Really Clark?
11-15-2018, 10:21 AM

He is still visiting Auburn. It will have to be unofficial as he will take his last OV to Miami.