PDA

View Full Version : Super Interesting Twitter Thread On Our Offense

ShotgunDawg
11-14-2018, 03:00 PM
Lots of food for thought here: our offensive numbers are very odd

It's also why I have hope in Moorhead. Something doesn't add up.

https://twitter.com/ralphdrussoap/status/1062780314366418945?s=21

https://twitter.com/starrettjason/status/1062789244761051141?s=21

tcdog70
11-14-2018, 03:04 PM
it aint rocket surgery--when you play top defenses in SEC your offense isn't the same as vs Little Sister's of the Poor.

drunkernhelldawg
11-14-2018, 03:04 PM
The world is baffled.

I can't help feeling that we could have earned a few W's from those four losses. Yet I am optimistic since the team has many positive aspects as well as some excellent performances.

Intensity should not vary to this extent. I'm worried about the old trap game this Saturday.

ShotgunDawg
11-14-2018, 03:09 PM
it aint rocket surgery--when you play top defenses in SEC your offense isn't the same as vs Little Sister's of the Poor.

That obvious, but we play the same schedule most every year and this year's numbers are unprecedented

It doesn't add up.

msudawglb
11-14-2018, 03:10 PM
I think this offense is all about the passing game and thus we thrive against average to bad secondaries (no matter how good our QB is scanning the field). We have lost to 3 teams that have good to excellent secondaries (Alabama, LSU, and KY) and 1 to a team that we just missed opportunities to win (FL). Fitz has shown no ability to survey the entire field. Many times he locks in on one side of the field and will have open WR's on the other side. With this offense and Fitz at QB, if you can load the box and play man coverage with your secondary (because they are good to excellent), then you could shut us down this year.

I also want to say that all of our passing struggles are not just Fitz. Our WR's were running bad routes as well. For Moorhead's offense to thrive, we've got to have smarter QB's and WR's.

To add, I look for MSU to score 40+ in both of our last 2 games.

msstate7
11-14-2018, 03:12 PM
I think this offense is all about the passing game and thus we thrive against average to bad secondaries (no matter how good our QB is scanning the field). We have lost to 3 teams that have good to excellent secondaries (Alabama, LSU, and KY) and 1 to a team that we just missed opportunities to win (FL). Fitz has shown no ability to survey the entire field. Many times he locks in on one side of the field and will have open WR's on the other side. With this offense and Fitz at QB, if you can load the box and play man coverage with your secondary (because they are good to excellent), then you could shut us down this year.

I also want to say that all of our passing struggles are not just Fitz. Our WR's were running bad routes as well. For Moorhead's offense to thrive, we've got to have smarter QB's and WR's.

Against auburn we were 9/17 for 69 yds passing. Auburn is the only game we stuck with using our RBs

msudawglb
11-14-2018, 03:15 PM
Against auburn we were 9/17 for 69 yds passing. Auburn is the only game we stuck with using our RBs

Well, that's a fairly high percentage (53%)....and we rushed for 350 yards. We didn't have to throw it.

msstate7
11-14-2018, 03:18 PM
Well, that's a fairly high percentage (53%)....and we rushed for 350 yards. We didn't have to throw it.

350 rushing yards is great. Wish we had stuck with using our RBs. Kylin had 23 carries vs auburn for 126 yards (5.48 per). Since then in 3 games, he has 20 carries for 109 yds (5.45 per). It worked vs a good sec defense, but we scrapped it... guess that's on fitz

Tbonewannabe
11-14-2018, 03:29 PM
350 rushing yards is great. Wish we had stuck with using our RBs. Kylin had 23 carries vs auburn for 126 yards (5.48 per). Since then in 3 games, he has 20 carries for 109 yds (5.45 per). It worked vs a good sec defense, but we scrapped it... guess that's on fitz

I personally think LSU made Joe scrap that offensive approach. We ran 60% of the time against but LSU finally forced us to attempt to pass and Fitz was horrific. We then decided to go back to his original offense and beat A&M and La Tech. Those games are the best the offense has looked and it looked like Fitz was finally understanding the offense.

Then Bama. I think all the media picking LSU to upset them just lit a damn fuse. Bama seemed to take it personal and I will be surprised if their defense isn't wrecking everyone the rest of the season.

msudawglb
11-14-2018, 03:29 PM

Come on man, you are better than that post. Surely you remember that after the Auburn game, was the LSU game. Hill had some early success running the ball and then he got injured. He didn't play the rest of that game and he didn't play at all the next game. And we worked him back into the LaTech game that we won easily but we didn't overwork him since he was coming back off the injury.

msstate7
11-14-2018, 03:43 PM
I personally think LSU made Joe scrap that offensive approach. We ran 60% of the time against but LSU finally forced us to attempt to pass and Fitz was horrific. We then decided to go back to his original offense and beat A&M and La Tech. Those games are the best the offense has looked and it looked like Fitz was finally understanding the offense.

Then Bama. I think all the media picking LSU to upset them just lit a damn fuse. Bama seemed to take it personal and I will be surprised if their defense isn't wrecking everyone the rest of the season.

Against LSU, our RBs got 14 carries for 70 yards (5.0 per). We didn't once run the rb motion that we ran so successfully vs auburn

Tbonewannabe
11-14-2018, 03:50 PM
Against LSU, our RBs got 14 carries for 70 yards (5.0 per). We didn't once run the rb motion that we ran so successfully vs auburn

This is the biggest thing that wants me to pull my hair out. It might be up there with Holloway up the middle. If anyone has an answer for either I would be ecstatic to hear it.

fader2103
11-14-2018, 03:57 PM

How does the rest of the league look at average yards per drop on games lost?

gravedigger
11-14-2018, 04:05 PM

I seem to remember we did, but Fitz pulled the ball and ran into the line numerous times. I could be wrong about that, but as he got more frustrated, he kept trying to take the game over himself.

msstate7
11-14-2018, 04:11 PM
I seem to remember we did, but Fitz pulled the ball and ran into the line numerous times. I could be wrong about that, but as he got more frustrated, he kept trying to take the game over himself.

We ran designed rb runs vs auburn. Why did we ditch those?

TrapGame
11-14-2018, 04:15 PM

Moorhead said post game there were plays where Nick should have handed off but kept it. That's on Nick.

Tbonewannabe
11-14-2018, 04:15 PM
We ran designed rb runs vs auburn. Why did we ditch those?

Those are also head scratchers. We might have to get used to Moorhead's version of up the gut with a 150 lb RB. I really hope there is a reason. I wish someone in the media would ask him and he actually answer. I can't remember if Mullen ever answered the Holloway question.

Really Clark?
11-14-2018, 04:23 PM
How does the rest of the league look at average yards per drop on games lost?

Nobody else is below 4 yards. First time since So Car 2012 that a team is below 4 yards in losses

Tbonewannabe
11-14-2018, 04:25 PM
Nobody else is below 4 yards. First time since So Car 2012 that a team is below 4 yards in losses

So does this just mean our WRs aren't being very helpful?

Really Clark?
11-14-2018, 04:29 PM
So does this just mean our WRs aren't being very helpful?

This is total offense numbers for losses. Passing is 4.2 yards per attempt and rushing is 3.19 per attempt. We are 1st in the league in rushing this year in wins, 11th in losses. Last year we were still 2nd in the league in rushing yards per attempt in our losses.

Goldendawg
11-14-2018, 05:31 PM
Missed explosive plays not better than a steady hard-nosed running attack where talented RB's actually get about 20 plus carries. JMO. I saw a freeze frame of an "RPO" play on an NFL game the other night and the announcers "explaining" it. They said the right side of the line was pass blocking in case it was a pass play( receivers on that side running routes) and the left side of the line was run blocking in case the QB chose a run play. Looked like a chance for the left side to have linemen down field on a passing play, unless it was UM linemen and SEC officials.***

Todd4State
11-14-2018, 05:41 PM
The explanation is very simple:

Our players suck against really good SEC defenses and light up weaker defenses. For us to beat the elite defenses we need to get better at QB, WR, and OL. The positions the Country Club didn't recruit very well.

ShotgunDawg
11-14-2018, 05:44 PM
The explanation is very simple:

Our players suck against really good SEC defenses and light up weaker defenses. For us to beat the elite defenses we need to get better at QB, WR, and OL. The positions the Country Club didn't recruit very well.

Then why were the numbers different under Mullen , for better or worse?

Todd4State
11-14-2018, 05:47 PM
Then why were the numbers different under Mullen , for better or worse?

Because we typically played fewer elite defenses under Dan?

I think what's mainly different is Kentucky is good this year. We've always struggled against elite teams under Dan.

Goldendawg
11-14-2018, 06:00 PM

I think what's mainly different is Kentucky is good this year. We've always struggled against elite teams under Dan.

We had virtually the same O players back this year that put up 45 on KY last year. They were however expected to run a new O that doesn't fit their skill set. That good KY team hasn't looked too good the last two games.

Really Clark?
11-14-2018, 06:00 PM

Bama, Georgia and Auburn last year were better than the top 3 defenses we have faced this season. And if you are going all the way back to Dan’s beginning, 2010-12 was by far and cannot be questioned as one of if not the most difficult run of defenses historically we have run up against

Tbonewannabe
11-14-2018, 06:02 PM

This is pretty much all the stats I have been putting out today. UK having the #11 scoring defense in the country along with playing them on the Road is pretty much the difference between 9 wins and everybody happy. Even with that, if Mitchell catches the pass against UF and we win then we still win 9 games and everyone bitches about losing to UK for win 10.

Tbonewannabe
11-14-2018, 06:04 PM
We had virtually the same O players back this year that put up 45 on KY last year. They were however expected to run a new O that doesn't fit their skill set. That good KY team hasn't looked too good the last two games.

That good UK team got broken by UGA. We will see if they go into a spiral or if they get back to what they were doing.

Todd4State
11-14-2018, 06:08 PM

We also had a lot of the same players on O in 2016 when we lost to them then. THAT Kentucky team last year is not the same team as this years. And it seems like most of our fans don't get this. And yeah- so Kentucky lost to Georgia. Are we as good as Georgia? I don't think so. And then they lost on the road to Tennessee. They're still going to end up winning 9 game and ahead of us in the BCS poll.

Tbonewannabe
11-14-2018, 06:08 PM
Bama, Georgia and Auburn last year were better than the top 3 defenses we have faced this season. And if you are going all the way back to Dan’s beginning, 2010-12 was by far and cannot be questioned as one of if not the most difficult run of defenses historically we have run up against

Scoring defense says differently. Actual Points per game last year UGA gave up 16.4 ppg and AU 18.5. This year UK is giving up 16.2 and AU is giving up 18.3.

LSU actually improved their defense from last year from 18.9 to 16.7.

So as far as teams scoring points, we faced better defenses this year. We also faced LSU and Bama at home last year. When we went on the road to UGA and AU, we scored 3 and 10 points.

Todd4State
11-14-2018, 06:10 PM

And how did these players do against those defenses last year? We had one decent game against Alabama- at home with their linebackers out.

Tbonewannabe
11-14-2018, 06:11 PM
We also had a lot of the same players on O in 2016 when we lost to them then. THAT Kentucky team last year is not the same team as this years. And it seems like most of our fans don't get this. And yeah- so Kentucky lost to Georgia. Are we as good as Georgia? I don't think so. And then they lost on the road to Tennessee. They're still going to end up winning 9 game and ahead of us in the BCS poll.

This is what people don't understand either. Being on the Road is a lot more detrimental to the offense. Our only bad home game was to UF and we were a Mitchell catch away from winning that game. No one wants to admit that Mullen sucked on the road for 8 out of 9 years but now Joe is supposed to kick ass with someone who doesn't fit his offense at QB.

Tbonewannabe
11-14-2018, 06:11 PM
And how did these players do against those defenses last year? We had one decent game against Alabama- at home with their linebackers out.

LSU and Bama had defensive players out that helped us tremendously. No one takes that into account.

Goldendawg
11-14-2018, 06:13 PM

I still think that they are overrated and we should and could have beaten them. JMO. My floor this year was not 6 or 7 games which could still happen, but I will be in Starkville with my son Sat and hope to see #7 and UM be victory #8. Hail State!

Really Clark?
11-14-2018, 06:14 PM
Scoring defense says differently. Actual Points per game last year UGA gave up 16.4 ppg and AU 18.5. This year UK is giving up 16.2 and AU is giving up 18.3.

So as far as teams scoring points, we faced better defenses this year. We also faced LSU and Bama at home last year. When we went on the road to UGA and AU, we scored 3 and 10 points.

I’m using the DFEI rankings to offset all of the on the road, field position, etc. since their numbers include the extra times they played each other. Even going by SEC only stats they played 9-10 conference games because of the extra games with each other.

Todd4State
11-14-2018, 06:16 PM
This is pretty much all the stats I have been putting out today. UK having the #11 scoring defense in the country along with playing them on the Road is pretty much the difference between 9 wins and everybody happy. Even with that, if Mitchell catches the pass against UF and we win then we still win 9 games and everyone bitches about losing to UK for win 10.

It's VERY obvious if you look at the stats. There's a reason why we never look "lost" and we perform well against Texas A&M and Auburn.

And the solution is VERY obvious too- recruit better at the skill positions to match up better against the elite teams.

Thank you. And that's why I never bought the "Dan would have beaten x" logic this year.

The only way we're wrong is if we struggle against Arkansas and Ole Miss. But the trends with our stats say that is unlikely.

Really Clark?
11-14-2018, 06:18 PM

Three times better than this offense against less defenses. But concerning the OP about the less per attempt totals, 4, 4.18, and 4.52 per play. This year 3.35, 3.48 and 3.38

Todd4State
11-14-2018, 06:18 PM
I still think that they are overrated and we should and could have beaten them. JMO. My floor this year was not 6 or 7 games which could still happen, but I will be in Starkville with my son Sat and hope to see #7 and UM be victory #8. Hail State!

Well, I think Kate Upton should date me. Doesn't mean that is what reality is.

Kentucky does normally suck and I do not think that this year is sustainable in any way shape or form for them. They're having a season similar to our 1999 season for them. But as for THIS year they are legit. I fully expect to beat them next year in Starkville.

Really Clark?
11-14-2018, 06:20 PM
LSU and Bama had defensive players out that helped us tremendously. No one takes that into account.

Because we had offensive players out as well during the year

Todd4State
11-14-2018, 06:22 PM
Three times better than this offense against less defenses. But concerning the OP about the less per attempt totals, 4, 4.18, and 4.52 per play. This year 3.35, 3.48 and 3.38

Three times better? Point totals? What kind of red herring is that?

If anything we've performed better against lesser defenses than Dan did last year. How quickly we forget UMass, Arkansas, and Ole Miss last year.

Todd4State
11-14-2018, 06:24 PM
Because we had offensive players out as well during the year

Who? Rankin for four games? Two of those starts were against UMass and BYU.

yjnkdawg
11-14-2018, 06:32 PM

Aranda's defense schemed Fitz into making him think he needed to keep the ball.

yjnkdawg
11-14-2018, 06:38 PM

That running back motion offense was designed specifically for the Auburn game , and it surprised them , and their coaches could not adjust. Well it wouldn't be a surprise to LSU. However, LSU intentionally schemed their defense where Fitz would read the defense and think he should keep the ball. Aranda wanted the ball in Fitz's hands on runs.

msstate7
11-14-2018, 06:41 PM
That running back motion offense was designed specifically for the Auburn game , and it surprised them , and their coaches could not adjust. Well it wouldn't be a surprise to LSU. However, LSU intentionally schemed their defense whee Fitz would read the defense and think he should keep the ball. Aranda wanted the ball in Fitz's hands.
So aranda dictated to Moorhead. Sucks when DCs can give us a look and get us to play into their hands

yjnkdawg
11-14-2018, 06:44 PM
So aranda dictated to Moorhead. Sucks when DCs can give us a look and get us to play into their hands

His defense dictated to Fitz to keep the ball. JOeMo wasn't on the field at quarterback. LOL You must live on this board. I made a typo on the other post, and before I had time to edit it, you had already responded.

Really Clark?
11-14-2018, 06:45 PM
Three times better? Point totals? What kind of red herring is that?

If anything we've performed better against lesser defenses than Dan did last year. How quickly we forget UMass, Arkansas, and Ole Miss last year.

Well we averaged 12 points per game vs Bama, Au, and GA last season and 3.3 this season vs KY, LSU, Bama. The top 3 defenses we faced last year vs top 3 this season. I actually under stated purposely, but your right. We are definitely in the red this season.

Liverpooldawg
11-14-2018, 06:51 PM
The way I see it is this. We weren't that great against the good defenses last year. Everyone knew what our weak spots were, QB passing (especially downfield) and the receiving corps. We still have those same weaknesses. Exit the staff that was all about power running mixed in with some short, safe passes. Enter staff that is more finesse, read type running and RPO passing that places big emphasis on the downfield ball. Some tried to point out that that might not be a good mesh this year. They were blasted, by a lot of the same folks who are so upset now. Moorhead wasn't hired to run Mullen's scheme, he was hired to run his. One thing that keeps being said is that he hasn't adapted. From what I can see he has. He has simplified the reads and limited them a bit.

Really Clark?
11-14-2018, 06:59 PM
Who? Rankin for four games? Two of those starts were against UMass and BYU.

Rankin was hurt vs AU. Gray missed Bama, Dear missed the season (one of our top returning receivers), Mixon missed time but I don’t think those games or partially those games. Players were out on our defense as well. Teams have injuries and Bama’s replacement players are not exactly scrubs. Didn’t 1 or 2 of those LB’s play through the playoffs?

Really Clark?
11-14-2018, 07:00 PM
His defense dictated to Fitz to keep the ball. JOeMo wasn't on the field at quarterback. LOL You must live on this board. I made a typo on the other post, and before I had time to edit it, you had already responded.

What was there to read? 10-14 runs were designed QB power runs.

Todd4State
11-14-2018, 07:08 PM

That's what happens when your QB can't throw.

yjnkdawg
11-14-2018, 07:10 PM
What was there to read? 10-14 runs were designed QB power runs.

I agree. I didn't like those calls either. When that was the designed play, LSU didn't need to scheme, because they had the player running the ball for us that they wanted to run it. They were not going to let our running backs win the game. So those designed plays just fit right in with their defensive plan.

yjnkdawg
11-14-2018, 07:11 PM
That's what happens when your QB can't throw.

Yep

Todd4State
11-14-2018, 07:12 PM
Rankin was hurt vs AU. Gray missed Bama, Dear missed the season (one of our top returning receivers), Mixon missed time but I don’t think those games or partially those games. Players were out on our defense as well. Teams have injuries and Bama’s replacement players are not exactly scrubs. Didn’t 1 or 2 of those LB’s play through the playoffs?

So mostly the wide receivers for a short stretch here and there? That's relatively healthy. I'd say losing those linebackers hurt them not only in our game- but also against Auburn and Georgia as well.

yjnkdawg
11-14-2018, 07:15 PM
The way I see it is this. We weren't that great against the good defenses last year. Everyone knew what our weak spots were, QB passing (especially downfield) and the receiving corps. We still have those same weaknesses. Exit the staff that was all about power running mixed in with some short, safe passes. Enter staff that is more finesse, read type running and RPO passing that places big emphasis on the downfield ball. Some tried to point out that that might not be a good mesh this year. They were blasted, by a lot of the same folks who are so upset now. Moorhead wasn't hired to run Mullen's scheme, he was hired to run his. One thing that keeps being said is that he hasn't adapted. From what I can see he has. He has simplified the reads and limited them a bit.

This post is so accurate and makes so much sense, that a few people, on here, just won't be able to comprehend or agree to it, because it apparently doesn't mesh with their agendas.

Todd4State
11-14-2018, 07:17 PM

Pretty much. I'm probably most disappointed in Fitz because he is a fifth year senior and IMO should be able to make decisions more quickly than he has at this point. But it is what it is.

I think some fans are upset because they think that this year is going to be our only chance to be special in their lifetime. I don't see it that way- I see us getting better recruits at QB, WR, and potentially OL while at the same time we are still recruiting defensively at a high level. We just have to match up both the offense and the defense at the same time during the same season to be special. And the offense just hasn't matched up with the defense this year.

Really Clark?
11-14-2018, 07:23 PM
I agree. I didn't like those calls either. When that was the designed play, LSU didn't need to scheme, because they had the player running the ball for us that they wanted to run it. They were not going to let our running backs win the game. So those designed plays just fit right in with their defensive plan.

I agree.

Tbonewannabe
11-14-2018, 07:27 PM
Well we averaged 12 points per game vs Bama, Au, and GA last season and 3.3 this season vs KY, LSU, Bama. The top 3 defenses we faced last year vs top 3 this season. I actually under stated purposely, but your right. We are definitely in the red this season.

And Bama was at home and was the most points scored against them with a QB that had been in the system for 4 years, AU - 10 point road game, GA 3 point road game. This year are ALL ROAD GAMES. KY - 7 points, LSU - 3 points and Bama - 7 points because the ref 17ed us doesn't mean Joe's offense didn't score it.

Looks like the biggest difference is one of those games are at HOME. Just from previous statistical records, you would assume with Dan Mullen that the results from road games vs top level defenses would be roughly the same unless Fitz is a Rookie NFL Starting QB.

We somehow now believe that one Bama game has changed 10 years of consistent results.

Really Clark?
11-14-2018, 07:31 PM
So mostly the wide receivers for a short stretch here and there? That's relatively healthy. I'd say losing those linebackers hurt them not only in our game- but also against Auburn and Georgia as well.

Against Bama we didn’t have our top 2 receivers. I think that is a factor

Eh...I just think Auburn and Georgia were really good. And it was the offense that let them down against Auburn more so than defense. They also held Clemson to 6 points, they were not scuba running out there. They are starters this year

Really Clark?
11-14-2018, 07:35 PM
And Bama was at home and was the most points scored against them with a QB that had been in the system for 4 years, AU - 10 point road game, GA 3 point road game. This year are ALL ROAD GAMES. KY - 7 points, LSU - 3 points and Bama - 7 points because the ref 17ed us doesn't mean Joe's offense didn't score it.

Looks like the biggest difference is one of those games are at HOME. Just from previous statistical records, you would assume with Dan Mullen that the results from road games vs top level defenses would be roughly the same unless Fitz is a Rookie NFL Starting QB.

We somehow now believe that one Bama game has changed 10 years of consistent results.

Well for 10 years we have multiple home and away combinations vs SEC and ranked teams. And it’s never been this low, dissect it how ever you want, you have to go all the back to 2005 to get close to these numbers and that was still better. The absolutely biggest positive is that we have been ok to very good against weak teams. But against strong teams, no matter how good or bad we have been in the past, including last season, this year is the worst.

RocketDawg
11-14-2018, 07:42 PM
Moorhead said post game there were plays where Nick should have handed off but kept it. That's on Nick.

Record building? And seeking the overall rushing record, even of running backs?

BuckyIsAB****
11-14-2018, 07:48 PM

If your scheme cant get the ball to your best players then your scheme is stupid and needs to change.

Its easy to get the ball to your RBs. Theres no excuse for it

Tbonewannabe
11-14-2018, 07:53 PM
Well for 10 years we have multiple home and away combinations vs SEC and ranked teams. And it’s never been this low, dissect it how ever you want, you have to go all the back to 2005 to get close to these numbers and that was still better. The absolutely biggest positive is that we have been ok to very good against weak teams. But against strong teams, no matter how good or bad we have been in the past, including last season, this year is the worst.

Or we had 2 games early against a very good UK defense on the Road and a pretty good (#34 is pretty good) UF team. Everyone said it would take 4-5 games for the team to really start working in the offense. We did struggle but we also had 160 yards of penalties at UK. The penalties is part of the coaches responsibility but the truth is, Dan Mullen absolutely loses that game with those kind of penalties.

UF game at home is the head scratcher. When Mitchell dropped that pass, you felt all the air go out of the stadium. We needed someone to step up and make something happen but the team just didn't recover.

LSU is a tough one because we haven't played that bad down there in a while. Mullen only had one year that he didn't score double digits. We haven't won but we also haven't embarrassed them before like last year. If you don't think LSU had that game circled then I don't know what to tell you. When you beat someone that bad then they are ready when you come to their house.

Bama - We pretty much did exactly what we have done for the past 10 years.

BrunswickDawg
11-14-2018, 07:55 PM

That's where I think you can chalk up the impact of the change in system. The same issues we had under Mullen are exasperated during this transition because lack of comfort in the system amplified things.

Even if you just confine it to the Fitz era, you see the same things. In our losses, our RBs are shut down, our running game forced into Fitz' hands. One option is taken away. If Fitz completes passes consistently, then it still opens up his running game. When he can't, it gets us behind the sticks and then his running can be neutralized. It's no coincidence that when Fitz has a consistent game passing he puts up huge numbers running the ball as well.

Really Clark?
11-14-2018, 08:29 PM
That's where I think you can chalk up the impact of the change in system. The same issues we had under Mullen are exasperated during this transition because lack of comfort in the system amplified things.

Even if you just confine it to the Fitz era, you see the same things. In our losses, our RBs are shut down, our running game forced into Fitz' hands. One option is taken away. If Fitz completes passes consistently, then it still opens up his running game. When he can't, it gets us behind the sticks and then his running can be neutralized. It's no coincidence that when Fitz has a consistent game passing he puts up huge numbers running the ball as well.

I can agree with some of that. But this trend does go further back for a comparable. Before Mullen. And to be clear I’ve said and like the post about the historically low yards per attempt, it is an extremely odd anomaly with the numbers. Either we should be more productive against all opponents, especially with the retuning starters and scoring, or we should have had a poor output vs a weak opponent as well. That really hasn’t happened either. The bad is historically bad vs at least somewhat similar top defenses. The good games is right in line or correct for a transition regression at worse

cheewgumm
11-14-2018, 08:40 PM
Sometimes I wonder if y?all even watched he LSU game.

A lot of the runs were Fitz with nobody in the backfield stutter stepping and then running up the middle.

There was no choice to give it to someone.

Go back and watch and you?ll see.

This blaming it on Fitz defieslogic in so many ways.

Why didn?t he do it last year?
If it?s a problem, why doesn?t Morehead change it?

Etc etc etc

Turfdawg67
11-14-2018, 08:48 PM

Nominated for "Worst Post of the Year"! Unless that's over and probably is since Cadaver doesn't post here much anymore. He probably started a new site and has to keep it a secret from some posters...

BrunswickDawg
11-14-2018, 08:55 PM
I can agree with some of that. But this trend does go further back for a comparable. Before Mullen. And to be clear I?ve said and like the post about the historically low yards per attempt, it is an extremely odd anomaly with the numbers. Either we should be more productive against all opponents, especially with the retuning starters and scoring, or we should have had a poor output vs a weak opponent as well. That really hasn?t happened either. The bad is historically bad vs at least somewhat similar top defenses. The good games is right in line or correct for a transition regression at worse

I am not going to point to this as an excuse - just an observation.

Luck is something of a variable. Mitchell catches a sure TD pass, cut our 165 yards in penalties against U.K. in half probably allows at least 1 drive to creating a score of not more; a horrible call in the Bama game negating a score. We've been like the anti-2013 Auburn team in terms of random stuff impacting games.

My point being that sometimes statistical anomalies are impacted by outside forces. Over the course of a season, it should even out but occasionally they don't.

bulldawg28
11-15-2018, 02:30 AM

I disagree regarding leaving the ball in Fitz hands, he's selecting to keep the ball. It's predictable. Anytime we get near the goalline Fitz is keeping the ball regardless. He wants the TD. Anytime the running back gets into a small rhythm he keeps the ball. He feels he must get apart of the game. He's not the best decision maker. It's the same stumbling block on passing downs. Dude is an athlete that's playing the Qb position, period. He's not an athletic Qb.

tcdog70
11-15-2018, 10:48 AM
Nominated for "Worst Post of the Year"! Unless that's over and probably is since Cadaver doesn't post here much anymore. He probably started a new site and has to keep it a secret from some posters...

is there a nomination for dickhead of the year? i'm sure you would be in contention. Odds on favorite.