PDA

View Full Version : Are there going to be two new Ring of Honor announced Saturday?

Jack Lambert
11-13-2018, 05:21 PM
I saw the two sets of black drapes covering up something on the West side and heard rumor it will be Sonny Montgomery and Rocky Felker. Don't know if it is true our not.

Todd4State
11-13-2018, 05:38 PM
I think it's Art Davis and Walt Harris. Unless they changed or added Montgomery and Felker. Felker definitely deserves to be on the Ring of Honor at some point.

Cloak
11-13-2018, 05:43 PM
Maybe this is what Joe meant when he asked for ring sizes***

parabrave
11-13-2018, 05:43 PM
Was Sonny on the '41 team?

Jack Lambert
11-13-2018, 06:59 PM
I think it's Art Davis and Walt Harris. Unless they changed or added Montgomery and Felker. Felker definitely deserves to be on the Ring of Honor at some point.

I just heard Sonny and Rocky. I am good with who ever they do.

Steakonastick
11-13-2018, 07:05 PM
http://https://hailstate.com/news/2018/11/13/football-art-davis-walt-harris-to-be-enshrined-in-ring-of-honor-saturday.aspx (https://hailstate.com/news/2018/11/13/football-art-davis-walt-harris-to-be-enshrined-in-ring-of-honor-saturday.aspx)

Todd4State
11-13-2018, 09:04 PM
Was Sonny on the '41 team?

I don't believe so.

I just heard Sonny and Rocky. I am good with who ever they do.

Honestly, I think it would be odd to honor Montgomery in the football Ring of Honor. Maybe somewhere else in the stadium would be fine though. I'm all about Sonny Montgomery- he was a great politician. But he wasn't a player as far as I can tell, or a coach or someone like Jack Cristal. Felker for sure should be on it and probably will one day.

RocketDawg
11-13-2018, 09:18 PM
I don't believe so.

Honestly, I think it would be odd to honor Montgomery in the football Ring of Honor. Maybe somewhere else in the stadium would be fine though. I'm all about Sonny Montgomery- he was a great politician. But he wasn't a player as far as I can tell, or a coach or someone like Jack Cristal. Felker for sure should be on it and probably will one day.

I was thinking the same. I suppose he's one of our more notable graduates, but as far as I know had nothing to do with football. I could be wrong though. Stennis is higher up on the politician list anyway isn't he?

Todd4State
11-13-2018, 09:28 PM
I was thinking the same. I suppose he's one of our more notable graduates, but as far as I know had nothing to do with football. I could be wrong though. Stennis is higher up on the politician list anyway isn't he?

I'm not into politics enough to know to be honest with you. I know both were big time politicians but that's about all I know.

Dawgbite
11-14-2018, 09:01 AM

Well Stennis has an aircraft carrier with his name on it. That's when you know you have made it*****

RocketDawg
11-14-2018, 09:05 AM
And a NASA Center.

Stennis is a national name; I'm not sure Sonny Montgomery is, at least to the same level.

JETDAWG
11-14-2018, 09:39 AM
Is Twig Branch already in the ring of honor, I didnt see his name up there

Liverpooldawg
11-14-2018, 10:11 AM
I don't believe so.

Sonny has a statue of of him on campus. The new campus Veterans' Center is also named after him. The Stennis Institute is named for Stennis. The Ring of Honor at the stadium is for those who made significant accomplishments related to the football program.

Jack Lambert
11-14-2018, 11:07 AM
And a NASA Center.

Stennis is a national name; I'm not sure Sonny Montgomery is, at least to the same level.

There was a GI Bill named after him.

Howboutdemdogs
11-14-2018, 11:08 AM
Art Davis' son had posted over a month ago on social media that his dad was being honored. However, he did not say it was in The Ring. So, can say for sure.

FriarsPoint
11-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Art Davis' son had posted over a month ago on social media that his dad was being honored. However, he did not say it was in The Ring. So, can say for sure.

It is. I know both well. Honey Bee will be added to the ring Saturday.

Drewbowski
11-14-2018, 04:41 PM
The Montgomery GI Bill definitely makes him the most important politician from State.

Goldendawg
11-14-2018, 06:03 PM
Dang, I am so disappointed. I thought the the two new ring members would be Sly Croom and Woody. I know that they couldn't be separated!***

msbulldog
11-15-2018, 07:44 AM

Yes John Stennis if for nothing else for his longevity, he was the longest serving senator at one time. I think Robert Byrd (W. Va) broke his record. The interesting thing was at one time Stennis and Jamie S. Whitten held the chairmanships of the Senate and House appropriation committees at the same time. There was a regularly scheduled freight train packed with money from Washington to Mississippi. Those were the good old days, ones we will probably never see again.