PDA

View Full Version : MSU football will be better next year

Coach007
11-13-2018, 03:42 PM
The defense will be as strong. The offense will be improved..

JoMo's system will be a year older, and our schedule is greatly in our favor.

msstate7
11-13-2018, 03:48 PM
Lsu, Kentucky, om, and bama are at home
We go to tenn, aTm, auburn, and ark

I don't think this is in our favor... 2 of our 3 toss ups (tenn, kentucky, ark) are on the road. We aren't winning LSU, bama, aTm, or auburn.

Tbonewannabe
11-13-2018, 03:50 PM

I don't think this is in our favor... 2 of our 3 toss ups (tenn, kentucky, ark) are on the road. We aren't winning LSU, bama, aTm, or auburn.

Just wanted to clarify that your expectations are around 6-6 so anything Joe does better than that is a positive?

thf24
11-13-2018, 03:52 PM
I'm among the most optimistic on here, but there's no way in hell I can buy the defense will be as strong. Losing Simmons and Sweat by themselves changes the way Shoop can scheme the entire defense, and then Abram, McLaurin, and Rayford/Peters won't be immediately replaceable either.

I think we'll be improved on offense, but either Key will need to make big strides in the offseason or we'll have to land Bryant (and count on him to pick up the offense in 6 months) for that improvement to be meaningful.

HoopsDawg
11-13-2018, 03:53 PM

To declare that our defense will be as strong is a pretty hopeful statement. I'm putting it as nice as I can. This year was the ideal schedule. You always want Bama on the road.

msstate7
11-13-2018, 03:54 PM
Just wanted to clarify that your expectations are around 6-6 so anything Joe does better than that is a positive?

6-6 / 7-5

If we go 8-4 next season, joe proved me wrong.

Coach007
11-13-2018, 03:54 PM

Oh? Based on what?

msstate7
11-13-2018, 03:55 PM
Oh? Based on what?

Reality haha

Tbonewannabe
11-13-2018, 03:56 PM
To declare that our defense will be as strong is a pretty hopeful statement. I'm putting it as nice as I can. This year was the ideal schedule. You always want Bama on the road.

Yep, Mullen might have won 10 games with this team this year but he probably wins 6 or 7 next year. Now somehow everyone will expect Moorhead to win 9 or bust apparently.

Don't expect a top 10 defense every year unless you are Bama. The defense could be great but lose 2 probable 1st round NFL guys on the Dline and possible top 2 round safety.

Tbonewannabe
11-13-2018, 03:58 PM
6-6 / 7-5

If we go 8-4 next season, joe proved me wrong.

That is pretty much the expectations we had with Mullen so I am ok with Moorhead in year 2 having the same. Even years at MSU are the years to go for 10 wins because it is hard to win on the road.

Cooterpoot
11-13-2018, 03:58 PM
Neither the offense nor defense will be better than this year unless we find a QB that can throw it better. Our receivers will still be bad. OL won't be as good either. Defense won't be close.

Todd4State
11-13-2018, 04:01 PM
I think the defense will be strong but not as strong as this year. But definitely better than what people expected at the beginning of this year. The offense should be much better next year. I want to see how recruiting goes and how the grad transfer market plays out in the offseason before making a decision on how good we could be. I'm expecting a new QB, possibly a new RB to go with Kylin, at least one JUCO or grad transfer receiver to go with Guidry and Deddrick Thomas, and maybe a JUCO or grad transfer OT. Special teams probably will be slightly better too as we return our kicker and I expect Day to improve at punter. The schedule is more favorable too- we essentially play eight home games as I expect us to outdraw ULL in New Orleans. At worse- it's a neutral site for us. We have a much better chance of beating and upsetting LSU and Alabama in Starkville and I think we beat Kentucky next year in Starkville in what amounts to a payback game.

Todd4State
11-13-2018, 04:03 PM
Yep, Mullen might have won 10 games with this team this year but he probably wins 6 or 7 next year. Now somehow everyone will expect Moorhead to win 9 or bust apparently.

Don't expect a top 10 defense every year unless you are Bama. The defense could be great but lose 2 probable 1st round NFL guys on the Dline and possible top 2 round safety.

I think our defense will be top 25 next year though. And that's still pretty good.

Martianlander
11-13-2018, 04:03 PM

Not arguing-just curious-why do you say we want Bama on the road? Because of the way the rest of the schedule sets up?

msstate7
11-13-2018, 04:04 PM
I think the defense will be strong but not as strong as this year. But definitely better than what people expected at the beginning of this year. The offense should be much better next year. I want to see how recruiting goes and how the grad transfer market plays out in the offseason before making a decision on how good we could be. I'm expecting a new QB, possibly a new RB to go with Kylin, at least one JUCO or grad transfer receiver to go with Guidry and Deddrick Thomas, and maybe a JUCO or grad transfer OT. Special teams probably will be slightly better too as we return our kicker and I expect Day to improve at punter. The schedule is more favorable too- we essentially play eight home games as I expect us to outdraw ULL in New Orleans. At worse- it's a neutral site for us. We have a much better chance of beating and upsetting LSU and Alabama in Starkville and I think we beat Kentucky next year in Starkville in what amounts to a payback game.

Curious why you don't like Mitchell? I don't think he's a world beater, but he's been ok for us and only a soph

msstate7
11-13-2018, 04:05 PM
Not arguing-just curious-why do you say we want Bama on the road? Because of the way the rest of the schedule sets up?

It's unwinnable either way.

Doggie_Style
11-13-2018, 04:07 PM
I think our defense will be top 25 next year though. And that's still pretty good.

I agree I think our D will be good again next year and I now believe our recruiting is back on track but I'm having a hard time visualizing an offense that is going to be any better than this years debacle....hoping to be proven wrong though

Todd4State
11-13-2018, 04:07 PM
Neither the offense nor defense will be better than this year unless we find a QB that can throw it better. Our receivers will still be bad. OL won't be as good either. Defense won't be close.

Depends on if we can upgrade the OT position. We return Williams, Eiland, and Reese. Tyre Phillips has played a lot and IMO should be starting over Reese. Story has played a lot too. Assuming we move Williams to center next year- that and getting another OT is the biggest question mark I have.

C- Williams, Sr.
G- Story- Sr.
G- Reese- Jr.
T- Eiland- Jr.
T- Phillips- Sr.

If that's what we roll out with next year I feel pretty good about our o-line. At second glance it may be more beneficial to get a grad transfer at center.

basedog
11-13-2018, 04:10 PM
Our receivers are not Sec quality, I'd say below Sec standards.

Look at all the drops this year plus very little separation for those guys. Our OL should be better and I do think our schemes will be better on offense.

Todd4State
11-13-2018, 04:10 PM
Curious why you don't like Mitchell? I don't think he's a world beater, but he's been ok for us and only a soph

I think he lacks confidence and his hands are average. We can definitely do better- and I think Jesse Jackson is a better option presently to be honest with you. With Jackson graduating we need a receiver that can stretch the field to go along with Guidry next year and allow Mitchell to develop at his own pace.

Cooterpoot
11-13-2018, 04:12 PM
Depends on if we can upgrade the OT position. We return Williams, Eiland, and Reese. Tyre Phillips has played a lot and IMO should be starting over Reese. Story has played a lot too. Assuming we move Williams to center next year- that and getting another OT is the biggest question mark I have.

C- Williams, Sr.
G- Story- Sr.
G- Reese- Jr.
T- Eiland- Jr.
T- Phillips- Sr.

If that's what we roll out with next year I feel pretty good about our o-line. At second glance it may be more beneficial to get a grad transfer at center.

That's still not as good as this year. I don't care you feel about them. We're talking about being better than this year. The OL will not be better than this year. WR has no talent. The great Guidry has 1 catch the last two games. Mitchell got benched for Jackson because of drops. We're getting nothing there and won't next year without a legit QB for this offense, which we don't have on campus.

Coursesuper
11-13-2018, 04:14 PM

C- Williams, Sr.
G- Story- Sr.
G- Reese- Jr.
T- Eiland- Jr.
T- Phillips- Sr.

Have you watched Story play? I mean actually zeroed in an watched his play. Your reaching hard here.

Todd4State
I agree I think our D will be good again next year and I now believe our recruiting is back on track but I'm having a hard time visualizing an offense that is going to be any better than this years debacle....hoping to be proven wrong though

That's probably at least in part because we haven't made all of the offseason moves I'm expecting us to make. The offensive improvement will be predicated by whether or not we can find a QB that can run Joe's system or not. I think Fitz has a really low football IQ so I don't think it's that unlikely to find someone that can read defenses better. The other thing is upgrading at WR- that's probably the second most important thing.

Having a year in the system and a more favorable schedule next year will help too.

Homedawg

anyone who thinks the defense will be as strong is living in a fantasy world. And yeah the offense should be improved, wont be hard to do that. maybe we can work ourselves up to double digits in most games. We will not be better record or otherwise. Just won't

KOdawg1
Defense will take a step back, but more so because of losing Abram, McClaurin, and Peters. The guys we're replacing Simmons and Sweat with are pretty good. The secondary will be the biggest question for me, which makes keeping Shoop even more important because secondary is his forte.

The offense hypothetically should be improved, but I thought we would've been improved this year. Joe has one more offseason to figure it out.

All this being said, I think 8-4 is entirely possible.

Todd4State
11-13-2018, 04:18 PM
Have you watched Story play? I mean actually zeroed in an watched his play. Your reaching hard here.

What has he done on the field that was so bad? He's a fifth year senior next year and will probably start at the easiest position on the o-line to transition to. He's not "my boy" or anything and if someone beats him out that's fine. But I don't think he will be a liability next year.

Tbonewannabe
11-13-2018, 04:18 PM
Defense will take a step back, but more so because of losing Abram, McClaurin, and Peters. The guys we're replacing Simmons and Sweat with are pretty good. The secondary will be the biggest question for me, which makes keeping Shoop even more important because secondary is his forte.

The offense hypothetically should be improved, but I thought we would've been improved this year. Joe has one more offseason to figure it out.

8-4 next year is probably the ceiling. I think 6-6 is the floor with 7-5 likely. If we get to 9 wins next year then Joe is coaching his ass off.

Coursesuper
11-13-2018, 04:26 PM
What has he done on the field that was so bad? He's a fifth year senior next year and will probably start at the easiest position on the o-line to transition to. He's not "my boy" or anything and if someone beats him out that's fine. But I don't think he will be a liability next year.

Just because he’s a fifth year Sr. doesn’t mean he’s a starter in the SEC, if he’s starting we have real problems.

Todd4State
11-13-2018, 04:35 PM
Just because he’s a fifth year Sr. doesn’t mean he’s a starter in the SEC, if he’s starting we have real problems.

OK.

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2018, 04:59 PM
I don't think we can be better next year but I do think in a round of bout way we could be equal but do it a different way.

I'm banking this opinion on the expectation that the defense may go from top 5 to top 30, which is still good, and the improved WR play along with generally everyone understanding this offense a little better, will allow us to be more consistent.

Until I know who our QB will be and how good he'll be, it's impossible to predict though.

I think there's a chance next year we are similar to what A&M is this year.

Political Hack
11-13-2018, 05:22 PM
We have 1 loss and 6 toss-ups on our SEC schedule.

Running game will take a hit. Defense will take a hit. Schedule is harder. Have a first year QB. 8-4 this year will look good when we're fighting for 6 wins come November 2019. That's why so many people are upset with this season.

HoopsDawg
11-13-2018, 05:26 PM
We have 1 loss and 6 toss-ups on our SEC schedule.

Running game will take a hit. Defense will take a hit. Schedule is harder. Have a first year QB. 8-4 this year will look good when we're fighting for 6 wins come November 2019. That's why so many people are upset with this season.

Yep. This season was 8-4 floor, 11-1 ceiling.
Next season, 5-7 floor, 8-4 ceiling.

99jc
11-13-2018, 06:13 PM

Where do you sunshine pumpers come from. You have to be fatasses wife.

MaroonFlounder
11-13-2018, 06:17 PM
The defense will be as strong.

No. Not on the front end. Sorry. It just won't.
We've seen the greatest D-Line MSU will ever have. And squandered it.

hacker
11-13-2018, 06:47 PM
No. Not on the front end. Sorry. It just won't.
We've seen the greatest D-Line MSU will ever have. And squandered it.

Yes, it is impossible for us to have another defense this good. Just like '99 was the best defense we'd ever have.

somebodyshotmypaw
11-13-2018, 06:56 PM
The defense will not be as strong.

Defensive end - we will still be very good and deep. But this year's depth was unprecedented and I don't see a pass rusher on the roster like Sweat.

Linebackers - could and should be better

Defensive tackles - losing Brown, Simmons, Hoyett, and Thomas. We won't be better and we won't be deeper. This is a critical position in this league, and it's a real concern for next year

Corner - could be better and might even be deeper.

Safety - won't be as good or deep.

The defense will be good, but it won't be as good as this year. The size, skill, and depth on the front four was unreal. We are able to sit two first round draft picks on the bench at times. In 2019 we will not be able to rotate as many big bodies through.

99jc
11-13-2018, 07:16 PM
Yes, it is impossible for us to have another defense this good. Just like '99 was the best defense we'd ever have.

So I suppose you want to wait another 20 years for a great defense. Typical dumbass comment.

Matt3467
11-13-2018, 07:20 PM
So I suppose you want to wait another 20 years for a great defense. Typical dumbass comment.

Literally every comment from you is toxic and filled with obscenities. Are you that insecure or just that uncivilized? It's okay to have a different viewpoint, but the way you talk to people is pathetic. Grow up.

99jc
11-13-2018, 07:31 PM
Putting up with coaches who should be working in division 3 and posters like you who want to pump sunshine up my butt until my head pops off is why I'm toxic. I've worked for MSU Athletics and put up with the politics. I've spent more money in 50 years on MSU sports than you will ever make. I don't want to wait 2 more years to know what I already know Moorhead is a bust over his head not an SEC head coach. What he has done to this team is unacceptable and I won't shut up till he is gone. See I didn't cuss so shut the 17ing hell up.

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-13-2018, 07:52 PM
I've spent more money in 50 years on MSU sports than you will ever make.

And you're calling someone else a dumbass...

99jc
11-13-2018, 08:04 PM
And you're calling someone else a dumbass...

Yep probably the biggest dumba$$ on the board thats why I can spot another one real fast.

Todd4State
11-13-2018, 09:16 PM
Putting up with coaches who should be working in division 3 and posters like you who want to pump sunshine up my butt until my head pops off is why I'm toxic. I've worked for MSU Athletics and put up with the politics. I've spent more money in 50 years on MSU sports than you will ever make. I don't want to wait 2 more years to know what I already know Moorhead is a bust over his head not an SEC head coach. What he has done to this team is unacceptable and I won't shut up till he is gone. See I didn't cuss so shut the 17ing hell up.

LOL.

Coach007
11-13-2018, 09:48 PM

Our defense has been top 10 2 years straight.....

Not losing alot that's not plug and play. Gaining some too.

cheewgumm
11-13-2018, 09:52 PM
Coach007,

Please tell me you are joking.

It must be a joke if we think Simmons , Sweat, Abrams, McLaurin and Peters are ?plug and play.?

I think I missed something and this is tongue in cheek.

Pit Bull
11-13-2018, 09:54 PM

A little difficult to see that when we lose several on the D Line. We have some very talented freshman coming in to replace them (Lovett, Crumedy, Pickering, and Moore come to mind), but....they are still freshmen and inexperienced. Same with KT at QB....has only what.....three full time starts, but pretty much ran the ball in all 3 games. However, I think KT and Mayden can match Fitz in the running dept. and both probably are way ahead of Fitz when he was a sophomore as far as passing goes.....so I have hope at QB......don't think there will be a huge dropoff and they will learn quickly. So, yeah....we won't be as strong defensively and about the same or better offensively. Need to find a stud RB too.....it's getting late in the game to get somebody to follow in Aeris and Kylin's footsteps.

Coach007
11-13-2018, 09:55 PM

We have had plenty of injuries to the dbs. No drop of with replacements. In fact, we had 2 DBS out vs bama...

No drop off.

Homedawg
11-13-2018, 10:00 PM
Our defense has been top 10 2 years straight.....

Not losing alot that's not plug and play. Gaining some too.

Not losing a lot? Huh? We lose 3 dL starters. And 3 guys in the secondary. 3 of which will be drafted no later than the second day of the draft. Elite pass rusher that we can't replace, and a safety that has nfl cover skills. Yeah that won't be losing much. Shoop won't be near as smart next year. Book it.