PDA

View Full Version : I'm 100% convinced

Bodaski
11-13-2018, 03:17 PM
We've got way too many fans that don't seem to have "good walking around sense". This quote came from my 39 year old son and the more I've thought about what he said, I totally agree and reading some of our fan's post about firing everybody from the HC on down, it shows its face. People see one thing not going right, or its not going like they think it should so the quick answer is to just fire them or run what's happening down which hurts not only the program but the university as well. I wish we could be a little more patient in our observations of this staff and team.

Dawgbite
11-13-2018, 03:29 PM
Well Fan is short for Fanatic. As my Daddy used to say, " when the good Lord was handing out brains, he thought he said rain and ran for cover".

Todd4State
11-13-2018, 03:29 PM
I'm withholding any drastic opinions until the season is over and probably at least until the end of next year.

Tbonewannabe
11-13-2018, 03:32 PM
We've got way too many fans that don't seem to have "good walking around sense". This quote came from my 39 year old son and the more I've thought about what he said, I totally agree and reading some of our fan's post about firing everybody from the HC on down, it shows its face. People see one thing not going right, or its not going like they think it should so the quick answer is to just fire them or run what's happening down which hurts not only the program but the university as well. I wish we could be a little more patient in our observations of this staff and team.

Society has gotten to the point of wanting things done immediately also. No coach lasts through 2 down years anymore. Auburn is talking about firing Gus for going 7-5 but apparently we should fire our guy for going 8-4 so who are the crazies now.

Martianlander
11-13-2018, 03:32 PM
I agree with what you say, but every fan base has them. I'm old enough to remember when Bear Bryant had a 6 and 5 season in 1969 and 6-5-1 season in 1970, and Alabama fans were ready to fire him. Of course he only was able to come back and win three more national championships.

msudawglb
11-13-2018, 03:33 PM
There's one poster on here that loves to give us his pearls of wisdom ever month or so. The issue is that he only loves to spew negativity on what he thinks is wrong. You never see him posting praise when things are going well.

That's what I hate to see. Nothing more offensive to me than a dumbass giving his opinion of who all should be fired. The only thing that's worse is when its someone saying look at me, look at me, and spewing negativity. Just go back to your hole.

Tbonewannabe
11-13-2018, 03:33 PM
I'm withholding any drastic opinions until the season is over and probably at least until the end of next year.

8-4 and a good bowl game should give him leeway especially if we bring in a top 25 recruiting class to go with our top 25 ranking. If we can't score on offense next year then the heat will get pretty hot rather quickly.

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2018, 03:34 PM

You're a coach though. You think about things much more objectively & understand the reasons bad things happen & how quickly they can change.

Fan is short for fanatical & fanatical are emotional beings that will be up & down at extremes.

I completely agree with you, but having fanaticals are what makes it fun. Means people care

BTW, MSU probably has more reasonable fans than most SEC schools.

Tbonewannabe
11-13-2018, 03:34 PM
There's one poster on here that loves to give us his pearls of wisdom ever month or so. The issue is that he only loves to spew negativity on what he thinks is wrong. You never see him posting praise when things are going well.

That's what I hate to see. Nothing more offensive to me than a dumbass giving his opinion of who all should be fired. The only thing that's worse is when its someone saying look at me, look at me, and spewing negativity. Just go back to your hole.

It does show an agenda when he only posts when there is negativity to spread.

Percho
11-13-2018, 03:35 PM

Thank you,

I agree.

RiverCityDawg
11-13-2018, 03:36 PM

This is where I am too. The swing between best case of 9-4 and worst of 6-7 is too big to form any hard and fast opinions at this point. A truly successful season is lost, but I'm willing to entertain the "transition" discussion if we finish strong. If not...

thf24
11-13-2018, 03:38 PM
It's not a coincidence that the most vocal of the literal "fire him now" posters are some of the worst on this board on any given day, any given topic.

TrapGame
11-13-2018, 03:41 PM

8-4 and a good bowl game should give him leeway especially if we bring in a top 25 recruiting class to go with our top 25 ranking. If we can't score on offense next year then the heat will get pretty hot rather quickly.

This is where I am too. The swing between best case of 9-4 and worst of 6-7 is too big to form any hard and fast opinions at this point. A truly successful season is lost, but I'm willing to entertain the "transition" discussion if we finish strong. If not...

To quote Delmar: "I'm with you fellas."

Tbonewannabe
11-13-2018, 03:45 PM
You're a coach though. You think about things much more objectively & understand the reasons bad things happen & how quickly they can change.

Fan is short for fanatical & fanatical are emotional beings that will be up & down at extremes.

I completely agree with you, but having fanaticals are what makes it fun. Means people care

BTW, MSU probably has more reasonable fans than most SEC schools.

Up until this year I would say that was pretty obvious. Mullen has this year and everyone is saying calm down, bumps in the road happen. He did have a record showing that he would come back improved. The problem is that everyone put Mullen's expectations on Moorhead without thinking about a coaching change affecting things. Most schools don't change when things are going well so typically the change is easily positive.

UF went from 10-4, 9-4, 4-7, and now probably 9-3. Other than last year when the team quit, Mullen is doing pretty much an average job for UF. The average recruiting class over the past 5 years is 10th.

MSU's average recruiting class over the past 5 years is 23. We have fans that are pissed at 8-4 when that is the 2nd best record in the last 10 years at MSU.

sleepy dawg
11-13-2018, 03:47 PM

This isn't an MSU issue. This is an issue with people in general spanning just about all subjects.

Tbonewannabe
11-13-2018, 03:47 PM

Honestly, I currently think finishing in the top 20 with a 9 win season is still a really 17ing GREAT season at MSU. It is honestly 1 or 2 games off of my hopes but at best I expected a 10-2 season with a NY6 game and that was with Mullen back.

Dawgology
11-13-2018, 04:06 PM
Society has gotten to the point of wanting things done immediately also. No coach lasts through 2 down years anymore. Auburn is talking about firing Gus for going 7-5 but apparently we should fire our guy for going 8-4 so who are the crazies now.

You say that like 8-4 is a done deal. That's what we thought about Kentucky, Florida, LSU.... you may want to slow your roll with calling wins.

Commercecomet24
11-13-2018, 04:07 PM
To quote Delmar: "I'm with you fellas."

Same here.

Howboutdemdogs
11-13-2018, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I expected more from us, but maybe it was an unrealistic expectation. Who knows? However, if Mullet would have stayed and lost the "searching for a new job routine every year", the far vast of our fans would have erected a statue of him if he consistently went 7 or 8 wins per year and a bowl game. He would have almost had endless job security.

But, with JoMo, people want to put in front of a firing squad. Here is my thought on the offense:
Fritz has had a very good career here, but maybe he is not willing to change or learn the offense. Mullet's system is all he knows. Hard to teach a new dog old tricks. But, make no mistake about it - he is not the same player as he was last year.

I believe we will be at or above the production level on both sides of the ball next year. The fire JoMo and Cohen talk is getting really old!

Todd4State
11-13-2018, 04:28 PM

I think have lower expectations next year may help him. You just never know how it's going to go.

Todd4State
11-13-2018, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I expected more from us, but maybe it was an unrealistic expectation. Who knows? However, if Mullet would have stayed and lost the "searching for a new job routine every year", the far vast of our fans would have erected a statue of him if he consistently went 7 or 8 wins per year and a bowl game. He would have almost had endless job security.

But, with JoMo, people want to put in front of a firing squad. Here is my thought on the offense:
Fritz has had a very good career here, but maybe he is not willing to change or learn the offense. Mullet's system is all he knows. Hard to teach a new dog old tricks. But, make no mistake about it - he is not the same player as he was last year.

I believe we will be at or above the production level on both sides of the ball next year. The fire JoMo and Cohen talk is getting really old!

Fitz's stats are pretty close to in line with where he was when Dan was here. Especially when you take into account he didn't play against Stephen F Austin and that he is facing the worst two SEC defenses on our upcoming schedule too.

Homedawg
11-13-2018, 04:40 PM

Barring 2 disasters coming up, I agree w this.

Tbonewannabe
11-13-2018, 04:43 PM
You say that like 8-4 is a done deal. That's what we thought about Kentucky, Florida, LSU.... you may want to slow your roll with calling wins.

All three of those teams are top 20 teams, are you saying they are on the same level at Ark and UM? Those teams also have great defenses. We have struggled against Good to Great defenses, Ark and UM are 99 and 113 in scoring defense. We have scored on average 41 points per game against teams NOT in the top 25.

So unless you think that our top 10 defense is going to shit the bed and our offense doesn't perform against a bad defense which hasn't happened this year then you can at least assume we win.

TrapGame
11-13-2018, 04:44 PM
Fitz's stats are pretty close to in line with where he was when Dan was here. Especially when you take into account he didn't play against Stephen F Austin and that he is facing the worst two SEC defenses on our upcoming schedule too.

C'mon Todd reality has no place here.

Fitz would have never been offered a QB spot at Penn State. He's a better TE in Joe's system. Hell, in an alternate universe Fitz is probably a Christian McCaffery RB looking at a high draft.

Political Hack
11-13-2018, 04:48 PM
Message boards are fun. But they are for the hardest of hardcore fans. Nobody else consumes MSU news 24/7 like our posters do. Their expectations are higher than others. And, very few of those posting on here will be involved with any decision to keep or remove any of our coaches in any sports.

So, while this is fun to discuss and hypothesize on, it's not going to have a major impact on Cohen's decisions.

Cooterpoot
11-13-2018, 04:51 PM

Welcome to the board Coach Gundy.

Homedawg
11-13-2018, 05:17 PM
All three of those teams are top 20 teams, are you saying they are on the same level at Ark and UM? Those teams also have great defenses. We have struggled against Good to Great defenses, Ark and UM are 99 and 113 in scoring defense. We have scored on average 41 points per game against teams NOT in the top 25.

So unless you think that our top 10 defense is going to shit the bed and our offense doesn't perform against a bad defense which hasn't happened this year then you can at least assume we win.

fla does NOT have a great defense. This has been shown by the most of the league. It's not great not by a long shot. Lsu has the best we've played besides bama and UK is ok.

tcdog70
11-13-2018, 05:22 PM
I think Auburn has a better D than the Gators. We just had a shitty game plan. Still and all--just catch the damn ball Osiris and we win.

Mobile Bay
11-13-2018, 05:26 PM
We are not 8-4 yet. 6 and six are still in play plus an embarrassment of a bowl game. All of that is on the table and I ain't sure it isn't going to happen.

Political Hack
11-13-2018, 05:39 PM
We are not 8-4 yet. 6 and six are still in play plus an embarrassment of a bowl game. All of that is on the table and I ain't sure it isn't going to happen.

If we lose to Ole Miss it'll be the biggest melt we've seen in a while. It would get really, really nasty quickly. But it's the egg bowl so you know it could always go either way.

MedDawg
11-13-2018, 06:18 PM

Agree.

Grading new college football hires 2018 https://athlonsports.com/college-football/grading-college-footballs-head-coach-hires-2018

Coach (Team), Grade, current record:

Scott Frost (Nebraska), A+, 3-7
Dan Mullen (Florida), A, 7-3
Chip Kelly (UCLA), A, 2-8
Jimbo Fisher (Texas A&M), A-, 6-4
Willie Taggart (Florida State), A-, 4-6
Joe Moorhead (MSU), B+, 6-4
Chad Morris (Arkansas), B+, 2-8
Kevin Sumlin (Arizona), B, 5-5
Jeremy Pruitt (Tennessee), B, 5-5
Steve Campbell (South Alabama), B, 2-8
Billy Napier (Louisiana), B-, 5-5
Sonny Dykes (SMU), B-, 5-5

Only Mullen has a better record than Joe Moorhead (by one game), and Jimbo has the same record (and just lost to Joe Moorhead). Among these new hires, MSU/Moorehead's strength of schedule is tougher than all but A&M/Jimbo's. Winning as a new coach is tough.

Lord McBuckethead
11-13-2018, 06:36 PM
Well there is always level headed discussions about this situation. I really like moorhead. I wish he would talk more personable about players at the radio show. Wish he didn't always had a turn of phrase on every life situation. Wish he would just conversationally talk about the team, our goals week to week, and where we are heading.

On gameday I wish he would sometimes let our RBs get 50% of Fitz carries. I wish we would tell Fitz to look pass and only run when the pocket breaks down. Roll him out some. Jet sweeps sometimes. And hand the ball off to the RBs inside the 5. Other than that. Just run your offense and let the offense know we are taking shots.

Matty Dispatch
11-13-2018, 06:41 PM
Message boards are fun. But they are for the hardest of hardcore fans. Nobody else consumes MSU news 24/7 like our posters do. Their expectations are higher than others. And, very few of those posting on here will be involved with any decision to keep or remove any of our coaches in any sports.

So, while this is fun to discuss and hypothesize on, it's not going to have a major impact on Cohen's decisions.

Bingo

Really Clark?
11-13-2018, 06:52 PM
Agree.

Grading new college football hires 2018 https://athlonsports.com/college-football/grading-college-footballs-head-coach-hires-2018

Only Mullen has a better record than Joe Moorhead (by one game), and Jimbo has the same record (and just lost to Joe Moorhead). Among these new hires, MSU/Moorehead's strength of schedule is tougher than all but A&M/Jimbo's. Winning as a new coach is tough.

Wait...those are grades from last Feb.

msstate7
11-13-2018, 07:05 PM

I was wondering. I like taggart, but he's been awful... recruiting is his only plus right now. I do agree with the rating for frost even though he started slow. Nebraska's offense is coming on big time. I think Nebraska will be one of the best offenses in the country next season, and I expect them to be west champs year-in, year-out in 2 years

Really Clark?
11-13-2018, 07:11 PM
I was wondering. I like taggart, but he's been awful... recruiting is his only plus right now. I do agree with the rating for frost even though he started slow. Nebraska's offense is coming on big time. I think Nebraska will be one of the best offenses in the country next season, and I expect them to be west champs year-in, year-out in 2 years

Yeah I agree. It was the Chip Kelly grade that threw me until I clicked the link. And if you are willing to throw out a grade on something, nothing lower than a B-? Really?

Todd4State
11-13-2018, 09:26 PM

I think the two worst things that happened to Joe this year are Kentucky having an almost dream season for them and then playing Florida before our offense started to improve- see Auburn and A&M. I think our offense at our current level would win at least Florida and probably Kentucky.

Well there is always level headed discussions about this situation. I really like moorhead. I wish he would talk more personable about players at the radio show. Wish he didn't always had a turn of phrase on every life situation. Wish he would just conversationally talk about the team, our goals week to week, and where we are heading.

On gameday I wish he would sometimes let our RBs get 50% of Fitz carries. I wish we would tell Fitz to look pass and only run when the pocket breaks down. Roll him out some. Jet sweeps sometimes. And hand the ball off to the RBs inside the 5. Other than that. Just run your offense and let the offense know we are taking shots.

I think most of the problem with the offense is Fitz taking too long to make the decisions he needs to make for the offense to work at an optimal level. The problem is if we water it down too much I suspect that we are suddenly going to be VERY predictable which is going to be compounded by having a weak passing game to not offset it. I think that's why Joe said "screw it" after the LSU loss and just started calling plays like he normally does and just threatened to bench Fitz which motivated him to perform better.

I think his point was to show how the hires were perceived in the offseason. That's why he put the records by their names.

Homedawg
11-13-2018, 09:35 PM
Agree.

What's your point? We have more draft picks than those guys too. Fact is we should be 8-2 at worst. Absolute worst!! Just stop. He's not a b+. Not close. Not yet. Maybe he will. He and the staff work hard recruiting. We shall see if that pays off or not.

ETA didn't read the link or posts after until now. I knew someone was crazy.

Bodaski
11-13-2018, 09:52 PM
Agree.

Good info!!!

QuadrupleOption
11-13-2018, 11:15 PM
It does show an agenda when he only posts when there is negativity to spread.

No kidding. The asshole couldn't wait to run off Mullen and sucked Moorhead's proverbial wang all off-season and now he wants to run him off too? **** that guy.

Tbonewannabe
11-13-2018, 11:23 PM
fla does NOT have a great defense. This has been shown by the most of the league. It's not great not by a long shot. Lsu has the best we've played besides bama and UK is ok.

UK is #11, LSU #12, UF is #34 in scoring defense. All are top 20 teams.

Homedawg
11-13-2018, 11:37 PM
UK is #11, LSU #12, UF is #34 in scoring defense. All are top 20 teams.

Florida gave up 105 pts in last 3 sec games. No thanks. Only reason they are that high is we scored 6 against them. Uk plays in the east. Not elite. Sorry.

cheewgumm
11-14-2018, 12:14 AM
I?d contend the offense improved against Auburn because we gave it to our RBs...

Hill 23 carries
Williams 5 carries

I do t know why he abruptly stopped something that worked so well.

Against AM, we had 3 plays that you really can?t count on happening every game that accounted for most of the passing yardage...

1) Mitchell made a couple of great catches which helped and
2) Guidry got loose on a busted play fir 84.

Todd4State
11-14-2018, 01:04 AM
I?d contend the offense improved against Auburn because we gave it to our RBs...

Hill 23 carries
Williams 5 carries

I do t know why he abruptly stopped something that worked so well.

Against AM, we had 3 plays that you really can?t count on happening every game that accounted for most of the passing yardage...

1) Mitchell made a couple of great catches which helped and
2) Guidry got loose on a busted play fir 84.

That's a completely ignorant take in today's era of college football.

cheewgumm
11-14-2018, 01:16 AM
No it?s not.

We?ve played 10 games and it?s happened once.

Rare.

dawgoneyall
11-14-2018, 07:35 AM
Croom would have finished 8-4 or better with this team.

Just think about that.

bluelightstar
11-14-2018, 08:14 AM
That's a completely ignorant take in today's era of college football.

You might be right for many teams, but considering that it has happened in one of 6 SEC games for us, I think he's right.