PDA

View Full Version : Updated 247 prospect rankings

Matt3467
11-13-2018, 02:04 PM
Everyone committed to us dropped in the rankings. I think it's funny that our commits always seem to drop. Is that just me having on MSU shades or does anyone else see that?

Tbonewannabe
11-13-2018, 02:08 PM
Didn't the UM guy at 247 used to get UM's raised and our guys lowered just to screw with the system so they would have a higher recruiting class? We seem to be recruiting at a higher level than the last 15 years. Hopefully the coaching staff can close on some guys. I was used to Mullen having quit recruiting by now and just trying to hold onto commitments.

Political Hack
11-13-2018, 02:31 PM
Didn't the UM guy at 247 used to get UM's raised and our guys lowered just to screw with the system so they would have a higher recruiting class? We seem to be recruiting at a higher level than the last 15 years. Hopefully the coaching staff can close on some guys. I was used to Mullen having quit recruiting by now and just trying to hold onto commitments.

I don't know if there's any substance to it but I've certainly heard that before.

Really Clark?
11-13-2018, 02:38 PM

With the composite I know the Rivals guy (only one in state) was OM and they would have some odd ranking bias with some of players that would lower the 247 composite.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-13-2018, 02:42 PM
It was just their Top 247 updated. I had no problem with Russell, Moore & Ani dropping. Even though only Ani rating actually dropped but I can understand that & don't really disagree. Now Pickering & Jarrian definitely shouldn't have dropped. Even though they were small drops (6 & 4 spots), they've had big time years after having really good summers. They're ratings didn't drop.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-13-2018, 02:43 PM

David Johnson has never had that type of pull as far as I know.

ETA: OM 2 guys in the top 247 dropped too (Ealy & Jackson)

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-13-2018, 03:05 PM
It was just their Top 247 updated. I had no problem with Russell, Moore & Ani dropping. Even though only Ani rating actually dropped but I can understand that & don't really disagree. Now Pickering & Jarrian definitely shouldn't have dropped. Even though they were small drops (6 & 4 spots), they've had big time years after having really good summers. They're ratings didn't drop.

What about BYoung with the huge jump. You can't tell me there is no such thing as a Bama bump. It has gotten comical.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-13-2018, 03:28 PM
What about BYoung with the huge jump. You can't tell me there is no such thing as a Bama bump. It has gotten comical.

Of course there is but with their success if I was a recruiting guy I'd give the Bump too. Everybody talks about how Bama can get pretty much anybody they want so when they take a kid outside of this "elite" status most times the recruiting guys take note & adjust. These recruiting guys aren't experts if they were they'd be on college coaching staffs so when Saban takes a kid for 1 of his 25 spots maybe he is better than we have him ranked. He's kind of earned that right even if we as fans hate it.

Todd4State
11-13-2018, 10:24 PM
Of course there is but with their success if I was a recruiting guy I'd give the Bump too. Everybody talks about how Bama can get pretty much anybody they want so when they take a kid outside of this "elite" status most times the recruiting guys take note & adjust. These recruiting guys aren't experts if they were they'd be on college coaching staffs so when Saban takes a kid for 1 of his 25 spots maybe he is better than we have him ranked. He's kind of earned that right even if we as fans hate it.

After the success we've had the past 9-10 years haven't we earned that right to a degree too? Or at least to the point where they aren't automatically deducted? Since 247 dominates the market now they really should just do away with the composite rankings because ESPN and Rivals are pretty useless.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-13-2018, 10:50 PM
After the success we've had the past 9-10 years haven't we earned that right to a degree too? Or at least to the point where they aren't automatically deducted? Since 247 dominates the market now they really should just do away with the composite rankings because ESPN and Rivals are pretty useless.

I'd be upset if our guys ratings were being lowered. It's just hard for me to care about guys going up or down 4-5 spots in the national rankings.

HoopsDawg
11-13-2018, 11:54 PM
I'd be upset if our guys ratings were being lowered. It's just hard for me to care about guys going up or down 4-5 spots in the national rankings.

Agree. It's a non story. Fans should be more worried about keeping our commits and who we close with.

Ari Gold
11-14-2018, 09:21 AM
I went over and checked out 24/7 rankings .
Here is how meaningless they are and what little effort they actually put into it.
Diwun Black didn’t drop from what I could tell and the kid didn’t even play ball this year.

confucius say
11-14-2018, 12:58 PM

Saban has a ton of busts too. Ask knott and lashley. Bama signs more elite guys who don't turn in elite careers than anybody.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-14-2018, 01:43 PM
Saban has a ton of busts too. Ask knott and lashley. Bama signs more elite guys who don't turn in elite careers than anybody.

So does everybody. We love to talk about BMac & Elgton Jenkins but nobody ever mentions Ronald Cochran & Jake Thomas & the like.

confucius say
11-14-2018, 01:46 PM
So does everybody. We love to talk about BMac & Elgton Jenkins but nobody ever mentions Ronald Cochran & Jake Thomas & the like.

Then why should a Bama committ get an automatic bump if saban has so many busts?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-14-2018, 02:00 PM
Then why should a Bama committ get an automatic bump if saban has so many busts?

Because he normally has the best players. The results speak for themselves. It's kind of foolish don't you think to call a bunch of Bama guys overrated when they're constantly winning championships. It's got to be 1 of 2 things.

1. They really get the best players & the kids deserve those rankings

Or

2. The kids are overrated & Saban is such a superior coach to everybody else who constantly get Top 5 classes.

confucius say
11-14-2018, 02:35 PM
Because he normally has the best players. The results speak for themselves. It's kind of foolish don't you think to call a bunch of Bama guys overrated when they're constantly winning championships. It's got to be 1 of 2 things.

1. They really get the best players & the kids deserve those rankings

Or

2. The kids are overrated & Saban is such a superior coach to everybody else who constantly get Top 5 classes.

Macro vs micro.

Yes they get better players than everyone and that is why they win. That is macro.

On a micro, individualized level, they sign more elite guys than anybody else who don't turn in elite careers. They have five star guys like ben Davis and Lebryan Ray who are not even contributing. When is the last time MSU had that? Therefore, your statement that you would automatically give every Bama commit a bump doesn't seem right to me.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-14-2018, 02:44 PM
Macro vs micro.

Yes they get better players than everyone and that is why they win. That is macro.

On a micro, individualized level, they sign more elite guys than anybody else who don't turn in elite careers. They have five star guys like ben Davis and Lebryan Ray who are not even contributing. When is the last time MSU had that? Therefore, your statement that you would automatically give every Bama commit a bump doesn't seem right to me.

Ok let's compare it to the "best" guys MSU has signed

Malik Dear
Nick Gibson
Jamoral Graham
Ashton Shumpert
Quay Evans
Nick James
Dee Arrington
Damien Robinson
Michael Carr
Montrell Conner

All of those guys had minimal or no success. So we have had quite a few 4* or better kids not do anything.

ETA: Labryan Ray, a true Soph, has pretty much similar stats as Fletcher Adams who we consider a valuable asset on our defense but he's a bust for Bama? Doesn't seem accurate.

confucius say
11-14-2018, 03:05 PM
Ok let's compare it to the "best" guys MSU has signed

Malik Dear
Nick Gibson
Jamoral Graham
Ashton Shumpert
Quay Evans
Nick James
Dee Arrington
Damien Robinson
Michael Carr
Montrell Conner

All of those guys had minimal or no success. So we have had quite a few 4* or better kids not do anything.

ETA: Labryan Ray, a true Soph, has pretty much similar stats as Fletcher Adams who we consider a valuable asset on our defense but he's a bust for Bama? Doesn't seem accurate.

1. If fletcher Adams was a 5 star, he would be a bust, absolutely. If Jeff Simmons gave you fletcher Adams's production then Simmons would be a bust.

2. I didn't say anything about each team's best players. I am speaking solely of Bama's elite players. Not a single one of our guys you just listed was a 5 star prospect per 247 composite like Bama's elite guys.

3. Regardless of what our guys do or what any other teams' players do, it appears you agree with me that Bama signs elite 5 star guys who don't have elite 5 star careers. If so, why would you assume every Bama committ should automatically get a bump? That defies logic.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-14-2018, 04:18 PM
1. The reason his #'s aren't better is Bc he's A. A True Soph & B. Hes playing behind 3 guys who will likely be drafted in the Top 60 picks in the draft. He'll start next year & likely be a high draft pick too.

2. You were talking about some of Bama best recruits who didn't do anything at Bama. So I did the same with some of MSU best recruits that didn't do anything.

3. Are you really arguing that every elite Bama kid Bama signs shouldn't be a bust? If so then I'm sorry we've wasted each other's time. If not yes I do think they deserve a bump. Again if Bama can get any kid in America like so many claim & Saban decides a kid that's a mid 3* or low 4* is worthy of 1 of those precious 25 spots he has each year then yes he probably deserves that bump. Saban has proven he can spot elite talent more so than these regular joe blows who run recruiting sites. So when they see Saban take a kid they previously had rated lower then of course they're going to reevaluate the kid because we obviously missed something If they had the kid rated #532 & Saban just took him.

Bothrops
11-15-2018, 01:02 PM
It's all political and MSU doesn't have the needed representation within the ranking services for that.