PDA

View Full Version : Mike Leach's First Year At Wazzou

ShotgunDawg
11-12-2018, 08:25 PM
Found this interesting: in Mike Leach's first year at Wazzou in 2012 he had a SR QB & Wazzou's offense regressed. Now, I'm not going to pretend to know all the circumstances behind what was going on at Wazzou in 2012, but I do find it interesting that, even with one of the best offensive minds in the history of college football, a garbage conference, & a SR QB, Wazzou struggled with what must have been a massive scheme change.

The regression is pretty staggering. Just food for thought.

https://i.imgur.com/lyQ1vzC.jpg

Quaoarsking
11-12-2018, 08:56 PM
Also the QB from that awful 2012 year, Jeff Tuel, later played in the NFL and started a game.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Tuel

I'm sure they had fans who thought if Leach's offense didn't work with a NFL starter, it would never work with anyone.

ShotgunDawg
11-12-2018, 09:02 PM
Also the QB from that awful 2012 year, Jeff Tuel, later played in the NFL and started a game.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Tuel

I'm sure they had fans who thought if Leach's offense didn't work with a NFL starter, it would never work with anyone.

Most likely. It's interesting.

I think it just shows that it can take time. 2nd year is big though.

TrapGame
11-12-2018, 09:02 PM
Well, obviously, he should have been fired after his first year.***

cheewgumm
11-12-2018, 09:04 PM
Have there been a lot of. Alls for Moorhead to be fired?

I?ve complained a lot but am not saying fire him. I haven?t seen that.

This Leach info in encouraging. I hope it works out.

msstate7
11-12-2018, 09:06 PM
Delete

msstate7
11-12-2018, 09:10 PM
Tuel played the full year in 2010 = 92nd total offense

Tuel played 3 games in 2011 = 33rd total offense

Tuel played the full year in 2012 = 96th total offense

Really Clark?
11-12-2018, 09:23 PM
Found this interesting: in Mike Leach's first year at Wazzou in 2012 he had a SR QB & Wazzou's offense regressed. Now, I'm not going to pretend to know all the circumstances behind what was going on at Wazzou in 2012, but I do find it interesting that, even with one of the best offensive minds in the history of college football, a garbage conference, & a SR QB, Wazzou struggled with what must have been a massive scheme change.

The regression is pretty staggering. Just food for thought.

https://i.imgur.com/lyQ1vzC.jpg

They averaged 23.4 points per game in conference in 2011, Leach’s first year in 2012 they avg 20.0 points per game in conference. In 2011 they had some inflated offensive scores vs Idaho St and UNLV to help that scoring avg. Remove those 2 games and they averaged 23.5 points for their other 10 games. Not close to the same regression.

ShotgunDawg
11-12-2018, 09:39 PM
Tuel played the full year in 2010 = 92nd total offense

Tuel played 3 games in 2011 = 33rd total offense

Tuel played the full year in 2012 = 96th total offense

Tuel played in the NFL for 3 years.

ShotgunDawg
11-12-2018, 09:40 PM
They averaged 23.4 points per game in conference in 2011, Leach’s first year in 2012 they avg 20.0 points per game in conference. In 2011 they had some inflated offensive scores vs Idaho St and UNLV to help that scoring avg. Remove those 2 games and they averaged 23.5 points for their other 10 games. Not close to the same regression.

Again, just food for thought. Think of it what you wish

thf24
11-12-2018, 09:43 PM
Have there been a lot of. Alls for Moorhead to be fired?

I?ve complained a lot but am not saying fire him. I haven?t seen that.

This Leach info in encouraging. I hope it works out.

You must have missed all the posts about his mythical $0 buyout.

msstate7
11-12-2018, 09:43 PM
Tuel played in the NFL for 3 years.

Well he wasn't a good college qb. His career rating was 125.8. Fitz is career 122.0. And tuel couldn't run

Really Clark?
11-12-2018, 09:54 PM
Again, just food for thought. Think of it what you wish

I know but I’ve already been looking at a lot of other new coaches and comparing their regressions (if any) to our situation. A 3.5 point drop is very average and normal in a transition year to a new philosophy. Even have looked for defensive comparables if the HC was a defensive guy. Looked at conference only and ranked team comparisons (don’t look at those numbers, it doesn’t help).

Let’s see what the next two games look like and where we finish. The lows that are already established are some of the worse in our recent history (last 25 years). I hope and kind of think Bama was going to happen because they are improving and we still don’t have full confidence yet. What I’m afraid of is that our talent on offense is being undersold by some and because of the returning experience we are able to produce against weak teams in spite of the coaching. Really hope it’s just been a longer and harder adjustment period for the coaches and players. There are some things we are doing better. There are still scheme issues, just on simple run blocks he is not accounting for the backside DL and OLB speed being able to still make plays. That’s the SEC speed and learning curve needed. I would say it’s unsurprising he has a learning curve with that but then again he has seen our defense for a long time before the season

dawgday166
11-12-2018, 10:23 PM
They averaged 23.4 points per game in conference in 2011, Leach?s first year in 2012 they avg 20.0 points per game in conference. In 2011 they had some inflated offensive scores vs Idaho St and UNLV to help that scoring avg. Remove those 2 games and they averaged 23.5 points for their other 10 games. Not close to the same regression.

I just LOVE how everyone wants to look at the entire schedule in CFB to make their point ... not the in conference games only, and even that is not a direct comparison but is closer.

For the record, I am going to hang with Joe for several reasons:

1) He didn't demand a lot of $$ to come here. Wanted to pay his assistants.

2) His assistants seem to love the guy. That's why some of them came here. Shoop may not have had a lot of alternatives but, the D staff is really good IMO. Maybe that will help him keep most of the assistants he wants to keep around for a little while. Maybe we can keep Shoop around for more than 1 year.

3) The team could've thrown in the towel but .. they keep showing up and playing hard for him. Something to be said for that. I think the O does too ... they just too confused most of the time to execute well and play fast.

4) IF he can turn this around and learn ... maybe he can eventually learn what it takes to get to greater heights.

5) IF that happens, he might like Vegas enough to stick around so we can build a statue.

However, I am fairly skeptical of 4 & 5 at this time. How an offensive "savant" can't figure out how to score at least an average of 17 to 20 ppg in our losses is beyond me.

Pinto
11-12-2018, 10:27 PM
Cohen made a bad hire. It will be years before we recover.

Gutter Cobreh
11-12-2018, 11:00 PM
There are still scheme issues, just on simple run blocks he is not accounting for the backside DL and OLB speed being able to still make plays. That’s the SEC speed and learning curve needed. I would say it’s unsurprising he has a learning curve with that but then again he has seen our defense for a long time before the season

This is the part that worries me. I haven't seen it mentioned much, if at all, but our backside blocking on run plays is awful. If its going to be a run, then just hand the ball off and block. The way we handoff from the shotgun allows these quick DEs and LBs to crash unopposed and blow the play up.

I still support Moorhead, but he needs to either tweak this or hire a new OL coach.

dawgday166
11-12-2018, 11:20 PM
This is the part that worries me. I haven't seen it mentioned much, if at all, but our backside blocking on run plays is awful. If its going to be a run, then just hand the ball off and block. The way we handoff from the shotgun allows these quick DEs and LBs to crash unopposed and blow the play up.

I still support Moorhead, but he needs to either tweak this or hire a new OL coach.

Those are the things that bother me too. He's seen this in many games this year but still insists on doing it. No adjustment at all that I can tell.

Quaoarsking
11-12-2018, 11:21 PM

Good point. I don't know how we'll ever recover from finishing ranked for the 15th time in our 115-year history.

ETA: This will also be only the 2nd year in school history to start ranked and also finish ranked. Wow.

Commercecomet24
11-12-2018, 11:28 PM
Good point. I don't know how we'll ever recover from finishing ranked for the 15th time in our 115-year history.

ETA: This will also be only the 2nd year in school history to start ranked and also finish ranked. Wow.

Rep Given!

Bully13
11-13-2018, 12:06 AM

Damn.

Dawgfan77
11-13-2018, 07:16 AM

It was a bad hire. I wouldn?t be surprised if we drop one of the next two. Nothing joe has done to this point gives me any confidence that he can win here. His PC yesterday pissed me off. It?s was croomesq. Failed to realize that we did win the west in 98.