PDA

View Full Version : Why does Peter Sirman take so much grief?

cheewgumm
11-12-2018, 06:09 PM
Couldn?t he have just said ?these weren?t my players??

He was here for 1 year , did terrible and everyone blamed him.

Joe has down as bad or worse in 1 year and everyone says ?wait until he gets his players?

dawgday166
11-12-2018, 06:17 PM
LOL +1

ETA: And Sirmon didn't have a ton of talent on hand either. He had a little that was very young.

Bothrops
11-12-2018, 06:24 PM
Holy shit I've seen it all now

cheewgumm
11-12-2018, 06:27 PM
Haha.

This is tongue in cheek but just making trying to make a point.

He had 1 year and everyone expected him to be good because we had talent. He also took a good defense and made them horrible. Nobody cut him slack. They basically said ?He had talent and we stick. No excuse.?

It just seems almost identical to our offense now.

The difference is Moorhead is head coach. If he were offensive coordinator he?d be gone, no questions asked.

Cooterpoot
11-12-2018, 06:31 PM
The only knock I’ve got on Moorhead is his inability to adapt. His offense might be great when he’s got a good passer and SEC receivers. Lose either of the next two games and he will be begging for support though. And rightfully so.

cheewgumm
11-12-2018, 06:31 PM
Agree

ShotgunDawg
11-12-2018, 06:32 PM
Haha.

This is tongue in cheek but just making trying to make a point.

He had 1 year and everyone expected him to be good because we had talent. He also took a good defense and made them horrible. Nobody cut him slack. They basically said ?He had talent and we stick. No excuse.?

It just seems almost identical to our offense now.

The difference is Moorhead is head coach. If he were offensive coordinator he?d be gone, no questions asked.

Our defense wasn't organized that year and players weren't in the right spot.

We have WRs running open this year but the QB doesn't get them the ball.

Plus, track record matters here. Sirmon had never done a damn thing. If Moorhead had never coached a good Power 5 offense, he wouldn't be getting the same leeway.

Huge difference in coaching resumes.

msstate7
11-12-2018, 06:35 PM
I realize you aren't looking for an actual answer, but the comparison is interesting...

National rankings in conf play only...
Scoring offense for joe = 129th of 129
Scoring def for Peter = 95th

Total off =126th
Total def = 104th

Yards per play off = 122nd
Yards per play def = 111th

cheewgumm
11-12-2018, 06:36 PM
I won?t dosagree other than receivers running wide open. I don?t think that?s accurate.

They weren?t open vs AM when we had a good day passing. Mitchell made two miraculous catches and Guidry caught a TD while he was well covered. There was that busted play where Guidry was wide open.

Only one I can remember is one play on a flea flicker. When else did it happen?

msbulldog
11-12-2018, 06:40 PM
Grantham and Shoop had 1 year each and did much better. Sirmon was not without talent. His scheme was too complicated, Grantham basically ran the same scheme but he simplified it 1 gap instead of 2. Grantham had the same problem his first year at Georgia, then he simplified it and took off. Grantham' problem is he tries to blitz to much and leaves holes as evidenced by how Georgia and Auburn burnt us long last year.

dawgday166
11-12-2018, 06:48 PM
Grantham and Shoop had 1 year each and did much better. Sirmon was not without talent. His scheme was too complicated, Grantham basically ran the same scheme but he simplified it 1 gap instead of 2. Grantham had the same problem his first year at Georgia, then he simplified it and took off. Grantham' problem is he tries to blitz to much and leaves holes as evidenced by how Georgia and Auburn burnt us long last year.

I thought last year's GA and AU games were entirely Fitz fault too *

Activated Alpha
11-12-2018, 06:59 PM
When UMass named their score on State in 2016, everyone could tell Sirmon was a mistake. Luckily for Joe, he's handled the OOC teams the way state should have

Lord McBuckethead
11-12-2018, 07:37 PM
I thought last year's GA and AU games were entirely Fitz fault too *

Oh no you didn't.

msstate7
11-12-2018, 07:39 PM
When UMass named their score on State in 2016, everyone could tell Sirmon was a mistake. Luckily for Joe, he's handled the OOC teams the way state should have

That's true

Cowbell
11-12-2018, 09:12 PM
The only knock I’ve got on Moorhead is his inability to adapt. His offense might be great when he’s got a good passer and SEC receivers. Lose either of the next two games and he will be begging for support though. And rightfully so.

This! And someone called him a top 5 coach.

Todd4State
11-13-2018, 01:33 AM
Couldn?t he have just said ?these weren?t my players??

He was here for 1 year , did terrible and everyone blamed him.

Joe has down as bad or worse in 1 year and everyone says ?wait until he gets his players?

One of the ways we fixed the defense was by bringing in an influx of JUCO's- Sweat, Abrams, Rivers, Cole, and Landrews. The other way was players that were freshmen or sophomores that year growing up- Simmons, Leo, McLaurin, and Peters among others.

Joe is going to do something similar on offense except with grad transfers instead of JUCO's. And similarly our players that are sophomores- Hill, Eiland, Reese, Mitchell are also going to get better as well.

Really Clark?
11-13-2018, 08:04 AM
One of the ways we fixed the defense was by bringing in an influx of JUCO's- Sweat, Abrams, Rivers, Cole, and Landrews. The other way was players that were freshmen or sophomores that year growing up- Simmons, Leo, McLaurin, and Peters among others.

Joe is going to do something similar on offense except with grad transfers instead of JUCO's. And similarly our players that are sophomores- Hill, Eiland, Reese, Mitchell are also going to get better as well.

Wait...your not saying that Sirmon issues was a lack of experience and talented players are you? Scoring Defense goes from 36th in 2015 to 93 with Sirmon back to 26 with Grantham. I mean you have DC swap between State and Louisville to get a very bright neon picture that 95% of our 2016 defensive issues was a DC that sucked. Was why Louisville fired him as well and we wanted to retain Grantham. Petrino may still be coaching if he could get along with a good DC

Homedawg
11-13-2018, 10:37 AM

What grad transfers besides Bryant? And what if we don't get him or any others? Does he still get a pass? I'm not for firing the guy,yet, but he's missed a once in a lifetime opportunity here.

Captain Falcon
11-13-2018, 03:39 PM
For me the difference is that Moorhead’s offense has worked against average or bad defenses so far. We are averaging 41 points a game in our six wins. Sirmon couldn’t stop UMass or Samford. We did have some games in 2016 where our defense was OK, but it felt more consistently bad than this offense has been. And on the surface, not scoring a TD in Baton Rouge or Tuscaloosa doesn’t seem nearly as bad as giving up 600 total yards to an FCS team.

Turfdawg67
11-13-2018, 09:57 PM
For me the difference is that Moorhead?s offense has worked against average or bad defenses so far. We are averaging 41 points a game in our six wins. Sirmon couldn?t stop UMass or Samford. We did have some games in 2016 where our defense was OK, but it felt more consistently bad than this offense has been. And on the surface, not scoring a TD in Baton Rouge or Tuscaloosa doesn?t seem nearly as bad as giving up 600 total yards to an FCS team.

Agree! Rep given!

Tbonewannabe
11-14-2018, 08:48 AM
For me the difference is that Moorhead’s offense has worked against average or bad defenses so far. We are averaging 41 points a game in our six wins. Sirmon couldn’t stop UMass or Samford. We did have some games in 2016 where our defense was OK, but it felt more consistently bad than this offense has been. And on the surface, not scoring a TD in Baton Rouge or Tuscaloosa doesn’t seem nearly as bad as giving up 600 total yards to an FCS team.

Also, if you don't understand that UK was extremely fired up to play us and we then shot ourselves in the foot with 160 Yards in penalties. That made it really tough on the offense. We also had shit field position that entire game. I have been to the last 4 UK games in Lexington. I have never seen that type of energy in that stadium. Embarrassing UK and LSU last year was perfect bulletin board material for those teams. We caught LSU flat last year but this year in the toughest place to play in college football, we got it handed to us. Of course if your QB doesn't have one of the worst games in MSU history then it makes it easier.

Tuscaloosa - we scored 7 which is pretty much what Dan Mullen did for his entire 9 years at MSU outside of Dak in 2014 (13 points with an added garbage TD with no time left to get to 20) and last year's 24 with Bama having their entire LB starters out.

UF is honestly the only game that I scratch my head about and we win that game if Mitchell catches the ball for the TD.

msstate7
11-14-2018, 08:57 AM
Also, if you don't understand that UK was extremely fired up to play us and we then shot ourselves in the foot with 160 Yards in penalties. That made it really tough on the offense. We also had shit field position that entire game. I have been to the last 4 UK games in Lexington. I have never seen that type of energy in that stadium. Embarrassing UK and LSU last year was perfect bulletin board material for those teams. We caught LSU flat last year but this year in the toughest place to play in college football, we got it handed to us. Of course if your QB doesn't have one of the worst games in MSU history then it makes it easier.

Tuscaloosa - we scored 7 which is pretty much what Dan Mullen did for his entire 9 years at MSU outside of Dak in 2014 (13 points with an added garbage TD with no time left to get to 20) and last year's 24 with Bama having their entire LB starters out.

UF is honestly the only game that I scratch my head about and we win that game if Mitchell catches the ball for the TD.

3rd quarter with 1:34 left down 14-7, we started at Kentucky 49. We had a 7 play -5 yard drive

4th quarter with 9:30 left down 14-7, we started at our 49. We had a 3-play -4 yard drive

Our defense quit after that