PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the Joe isn't going to work out party, who do you suggest?

Tbonewannabe
11-12-2018, 02:52 PM
Joe has at minimum another year barring a horrific collapse this year. We will see if Joe can get his offense going next year even though it will be more of a rebuilding year. Another year of shittastic offense in the SEC will not be welcomed by anyone.

With that said, who is your choice if next year falls flat?

Mike Leach and going Air Raid?

Neal Brown - what type of offense and QB development

Bill Clark - same question as Neal Brown

Heupul at UCF - he has been there one year but they are still undefeated, next year gives you more of a gauge on his head coaching.

Bottom line - Hopefully the team figures it out and starts clicking early. Bama has turned up their defense, it will be interesting to see how well they play down the stretch. It will be hard to judge the offense against a really bad Ark and UM.

deadheaddawg
11-12-2018, 03:00 PM
I suggest we have all the posters here that clearly know so much about coaching, just be co-head coach.

It's pretty brilliant really. The posters here don't even need to watch practice or be in the film room ....and yet they know so much.

Just run the team right here from ED

dawgday166
11-12-2018, 03:01 PM
I'm giving Joe some time ... so we'll see. Bama's defense is meh. And before everyone blows up about that so we can have excuses for our O, I'll just pre-respond by saying "whatever". It's a way below average Bama D. Some of that may be due to youth, but I don't think all of it is. This year it probably is 2nd best in conference, but nothing to write home about.

Steakonastick
11-12-2018, 03:01 PM
I would have hired Ryan Day last year.

tcdog70
11-12-2018, 03:27 PM
Brown or Clark either one. Clark took a UAB team went to Nebraska and beat them. UAB have only had a football team for a couple of years--you talk about rebuilding--Brown wins 9-10 every year.

yjnkdawg
11-12-2018, 03:33 PM
Joe has at minimum another year barring a horrific collapse this year. We will see if Joe can get his offense going next year even though it will be more of a rebuilding year. Another year of shittastic offense in the SEC will not be welcomed by anyone.

Heupul at UCF - he has been there one year but they are still undefeated, next year gives you more of a gauge on his head coaching.

Bottom line - Hopefully the team figures it out and starts clicking early. Bama has turned up their defense, it will be interesting to see how well they play down the stretch. It will be hard to judge the offense against a really bad Ark and UM.

That's so far off that we don't have a clue what situation those potential coaches would be in. I want to give JoeMo some time, before all this who are we going to get fantasy begins.

Really Clark?
11-12-2018, 03:37 PM
Brown or Clark either one. Clark took a UAB team went to Nebraska and beat them. UAB have only had a football team for a couple of years--you talk about rebuilding--Brown wins 9-10 every year.

That was Brown and Troy that beat NE

msstate7
11-12-2018, 03:41 PM
That was Brown and Troy that beat NE

And they wouldn't do it now for sure. Frost has that Nebraska offense hitting its stride. Wish Moorhead was doing the same here right now

msstate7
11-12-2018, 03:42 PM
I would have hired Ryan Day last year.

Would day have come? Seems he's in line for a big program like usc, maybe

Choctaw Dawg
11-12-2018, 03:59 PM
I'm still giving Joe some time, but I've always wanted Brent Venables as a head coach, but Brown or Clark would be great too

Coursesuper
11-12-2018, 04:00 PM
Bill Clark.

bulldawg28
11-12-2018, 04:03 PM
I suggest giving him a Qb that can run the system

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-12-2018, 04:07 PM
He loses to OM... he gone.

Is that worth it to get rid of him?

msstate7
11-12-2018, 04:08 PM

I don't think he would be gone if we lose the next 2 by 30 points each

ScottH
11-12-2018, 04:13 PM
Ok I'll play for fun...

Dino Babers
Bill Clark
Luke Fickell (sp?)
Steve Adazzio
Ryan Day

Tbonewannabe
11-12-2018, 04:16 PM
That's so far off that we don't have a clue what situation those potential coaches would be in. I want to give JoeMo some time, before all this who are we going to get fantasy begins.

I am firmly in the give Joe time club but everyone has to admit the offense looked really bad in the 4 losses. I hope it is as simple as getting a QB that is comfortable in the system. Fitz is missing wide open guys on a lot of plays. Hopefully it isn't due to the speed of the SEC defenses.

Tbonewannabe
11-12-2018, 04:17 PM
So with the guys people are saying, what kind of offense do they run? Similar running spread to Dan, Air raid like Leach, combo of both?

msstate7
11-12-2018, 04:18 PM
Ok I'll play for fun...

Dino Babers
Bill Clark
Luke Fickell (sp?)
Steve Adazzio
Ryan Day

Heupel
Clawson

dawgday166
11-12-2018, 04:19 PM
Saban ... I want to see how he handles adversity **

Really Clark?
11-12-2018, 04:21 PM
Heupel
Clawson

Haha. You would hire another Fordham coach? Wouldn’t have guessed that.

Walkerhill
11-12-2018, 04:22 PM
I am not in the JoMo camp. I think he is going through a natural adjustment as a first year coach at the SEC level and in 2-3 years will be fine.

But if I were Cohen I might have interviewed Brian Johnson and explored keeping Brett Elliot plus a big budget for defensive coordinator/associate head coach. The combination of tutelage under Mullen and Major Applewhite, with a year of play calling experience under his belt, might have been interesting. The guy is early 30s so it would have been a reach, but in a few years we may look back at that combo and then personnel we had and wonder what might have been.

I think Pruitt or Leach would have been worse than what we have. Disaster level mismatch of coach to team. Cannot day about Bill Clark, but if the offensive fit was not replacing apples for apples, any coach would have had these problems.

JoMo will need to adjust his offense to the speed of SEC defenses and to the type and talent level players he can recruit and develop to succeed. I think he will. Like players, his biggest jump will be from year 1 to year 2, but unfortunately the year 1 talent level was exceptional.

dawgday166
11-12-2018, 04:24 PM
I am not in the JoMo camp. I think he is going through a natural adjustment as a first year coach at the SEC level and in 2-3 years will be fine.

But if I were Cohen I might have interviewed Brian Johnson and explored keeping Brett Elliot plus a big budget for defensive coordinator/associate head coach. The combination of tutelage under Mullen and Major Applewhite, with a year of play calling experience under his belt, might have been interesting. The guy is early 30s so it would have been a reach, but in a few years we may look back at that combo and then personnel we had and wonder what might have been.

I think Pruitt or Leach would have been worse than what we have. Disaster level mismatch of coach to team. Cannot day about Bill Clark, but if the offensive fit was not replacing apples for apples, any coach would have had these problems.

JoMo will need to adjust his offense to the speed of SEC defenses and to the type and talent level players he can recruit and develop to succeed. I think he will. Like players, his biggest jump will be from year 1 to year 2, but unfortunately the year 1 talent level was exceptional.

Why do you think Pruitt is a mismatch? I think the current roster is pretty darn close to taylor-made for what he wants to do at Tenn.

msstate7
11-12-2018, 04:25 PM
Haha. You would hire another Fordham coach? Wouldn’t have guessed that.

Ironic, huh? Lol

I love clawson. The job he's done at that awful football program is remarkable. I like that he's been outgunned big time in his conference and still held his own. That is a huge plus for a guy we consider for a HC

NCDawg
11-12-2018, 04:27 PM
Bill Clark.

Agree.

Tbonewannabe
11-12-2018, 04:31 PM
Why do you think Pruitt is a mismatch? I think the current roster is pretty darn close to taylor-made for what he wants to do at Tenn.

UT has higher ranked players everywhere but Dline compared to us. It took Pruitt a few games to get going so I am not sure we would have won UK, UF, or LSU by bringing in Pruitt instead of JoeMo.

People want to act like UT was Croom level dumpster fire. They went 7-6, 9-4, 9-4, and then 4-8 with Butch Jones losing the team. During that time they averaged the 12th best class in the country in recruiting. Their current QB is the #1 Dual threat QB in the country in 2016.

Tbonewannabe
11-12-2018, 04:33 PM
Ironic, huh? Lol

I love clawson. The job he's done at that awful football program is remarkable. I like that he's been outgunned big time in his conference and still held his own. That is a huge plus for a guy we consider for a HC

Moorhead at Fordham won the first ever game over a Division 1 team. Anyone we get is going to be a hit or miss. Moorhead has the track record you would want in a head coach. It is up to him to correct what is wrong but we will see next year.

Really Clark?
11-12-2018, 04:33 PM
Ironic, huh? Lol

He has. Been a really good coach for a long time

HoopsDawg
11-12-2018, 04:35 PM
Bill Clark.

Walkerhill
11-12-2018, 04:36 PM

Well, Pruitt is a very good defensive coach. Their offense has also experienced serious struggles, with a shockingly poor offensive output 2 weeks ago, putting up only 14 points against the 4-5 Charlotte 49ers. He recruited a good O-coordinator, and is employing a pro style attack with a mediocre quarterback who is struggling in the system. I guess substitute west-coast RPO for pro-style and we have a pretty similar situation!

I think Pruitt would have really struggled finding and keeping a coordinator that could have maximized our talent this year or recruited/developed/schemed to make the most of MIssissippi and regional talent in the future.

In general, I also just think he is an obnoxious horses ass. For the same struggles, at least we can go through this transition with a good man who fits the community who has more long term upside in my opinion.

It is moot anyway because inside sources say he was only coming here if other avenues fell through, he was using us as backup and leverage and Cohen saw through it. Good for Cohen. I hope we kick their ass at Rocky Top next year. That will be a good litmus test for both coaches a year and a half in.

Really Clark?
11-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Moorhead at Fordham won the first ever game over a Division 1 team. Anyone we get is going to be a hit or miss. Moorhead has the track record you would want in a head coach. It is up to him to correct what is wrong but we will see next year.

Wut? We were talking Clawson who also coached at Fordham. He has better HC track record if you are looking at that from Fordham to Richmond to Bowling Green to WF. Really good coach

msstate7
11-12-2018, 04:38 PM
UT has higher ranked players everywhere but Dline compared to us. It took Pruitt a few games to get going so I am not sure we would have won UK, UF, or LSU by bringing in Pruitt instead of JoeMo.

People want to act like UT was Croom level dumpster fire. They went 7-6, 9-4, 9-4, and then 4-8 with Butch Jones losing the team. During that time they averaged the 12th best class in the country in recruiting. Their current QB is the #1 Dual threat QB in the country in 2016.

Our current DC that is a super stud here was a flop there

Tbonewannabe
11-12-2018, 04:47 PM
Our current DC that is a super stud here was a flop there

I think that just wasn't a good fit but who knows. Maybe Shoop figured something out after struggling at UT. Manny Diaz sucked at Texas also with great recruits.

DogsofAnarchy
11-12-2018, 05:18 PM

When it’s Joe’s time to leave, I’m for whoever can run the “Running Spread” but can recruit better OL’s and WR’s.

DownwardDawg
11-12-2018, 05:53 PM
I'm gonna relax, watch the rest of the games, have a few good Bourbon's, and see how it all plays out. I really hope he turns it around because I like him. Time will tell and he will certainly have at least one more year.

DownwardDawg
11-12-2018, 05:54 PM
When it’s Joe’s time to leave, I’m for whoever can run the “Running Spread” but can recruit better OL’s and WR’s.

^^^This^^^^^^. Tyhe offense that Gus ran at Auburn a few years back is what we need to be running every year at State.

DogsofAnarchy
11-12-2018, 06:20 PM
I agree 100% !!

Dawgfan77
11-12-2018, 06:32 PM
Ok I'll play for fun...

Dino Babers
Bill Clark
Luke Fickell (sp?)
Steve Adazzio
Ryan Day
Remove Babers and adazzio. Add Neal Brown and Scott littrell

Liverpooldawg
11-12-2018, 06:34 PM
I suggest we have all the posters here that clearly know so much about coaching, just be co-head coach.

It's pretty brilliant really. The posters here don't even need to watch practice or be in the film room ....and yet they know so much.

Just run the team right here from ED

Winner, winner chicken dinner

BuckyIsAB****
11-12-2018, 07:46 PM

Gus Malzahn if he is available.

Mike Gundy if he is available. (Both may happen and both would win here)

Neal Brown

Bill Clark

Mike Norvell

Lane Kiffin

Brent Venables

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-12-2018, 08:18 PM

Firing him this year would be the dumbest thing we have ever done.

You think Bill Clark would come running here after we canned a first year head coach with a winning record in the SEC West? Grow up.

Cowbell
11-12-2018, 08:57 PM
Gus Malzahn if he is available.

Mike Gundy if he is available. (Both may happen and both would win here)

Neal Brown

Bill Clark

Mike Norvell

Lane Kiffin

Brent Venables

Just curious why you think Gundy would leave? I went to grad school there and I have no reason to believe he would ever leave. He is an awesome dude. Maybe my favorite head coach. But he sucks at defense because he doesn?t know how to recruit defensive players. One of the starting DE now is a kid I know and he should be a TE. He would get killed in our league.

HoopsDawg
11-12-2018, 09:28 PM

You think Bill Clark would come running here after we canned a first year head coach with a winning record in the SEC West? Grow up.

Yes. In a heartbeat.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-12-2018, 09:50 PM
Im sure he would have a ton of confidence in his job security. Lose one games and the dumbass message board mob comes calling for your head.

NCDawg
11-12-2018, 10:00 PM
Im sure he would have a ton of confidence in his job security. Lose one games and the dumbass message board mob comes calling for your head.

I doubt if the message board would have that much influence on his job security. I think he would be getting paid a little more here than he's getting at UAB. That could possibly have some influence on him taking the job, if offered.

MedDawg
11-12-2018, 10:32 PM
Wut? We were talking Clawson who also coached at Fordham. He has better HC track record if you are looking at that from Fordham to Richmond to Bowling Green to WF. Really good coach

State isn't going to steal a head coach from Wake Forest or UCF. Seen as too lateral, even if we could double their salaries. If they are doing well they would hold out for better offers. Coaches will resist moving to the SEC West due to the difficult schedule.

There just aren't many Power 5 coaches poached, and even fewer who will leave a Power 5 school for Mississippi State. How many current SEC coaches came from a P5 school? Mullen and Jimbo. Big time schools with 100,000 seat stadiums often hire assistants to be their head coaches. Moorhead was as good a choice as any.

Problem with good G5 coaches is recruiting. Some have had success at smaller schools but never had to recruit against big programs. Do we know if the UAB or Troy coaches can recruit? Have they at least recruited at Power 5 programs before? You can bet that State fans wouldn't be happy at being 8-2 right now but finishing #40 in recruiting for 2018 and currently sitting at #40 for 2019.

BuckyIsAB****
11-12-2018, 10:37 PM
Just curious why you think Gundy would leave? I went to grad school there and I have no reason to believe he would ever leave. He is an awesome dude. Maybe my favorite head coach. But he sucks at defense because he doesn?t know how to recruit defensive players. One of the starting DE now is a kid I know and he should be a TE. He would get killed in our league.

His time is coming to an end in Stillwater. I think he is an excellent coach and he has won everywhere.

Nobody else in the big 12 can play defense either. They dont care. Its more of a B12 thing than a Gundy thing. He would recruit better D players here.

Really Clark?
11-12-2018, 10:39 PM
State isn't going to steal a head coach from Wake Forest or UCF. Seen as too lateral, even if we could double their salaries. If they are doing well they would hold out for better offers. Coaches will resist moving to the SEC West due to the difficult schedule.

There just aren't many Power 5 coaches poached, and even fewer who will leave a Power 5 school for Mississippi State. How many current SEC coaches came from a P5 school? Mullen and Jimbo. Big time schools with 100,000 seat stadiums often hire assistants to be their head coaches. Moorhead was as good a choice as any.

Problem with good G5 coaches is recruiting. Some have had success at smaller schools but never had to recruit against big programs. Do we know if the UAB or Troy coaches can recruit? Have they at least recruited at Power 5 programs before? You can bet that State fans wouldn't be happy at being 8-2 right now but finishing #40 in recruiting for 2018 and currently sitting at #40 for 2019.

How the heck did you get all that from what I posted? Said nothing about us hiring him, started off as joke with MS7 about Clawson coaching at Fordham as well. He is a good coach, nobody can deny that. Has a much longer HC resume in D1, including a P5 conference so I know why you think his resume is inferior to Moorehead’s but whatever.

BuckyIsAB****
11-12-2018, 10:40 PM

If he loses to OM he should absolutely be fired

Dawgfan77
11-13-2018, 07:25 AM
A want to point out a few things about this post. Most people in the business knew what we had returning and they look at the job this staff has done and wouldn?t blink an eye if we got rid of joe. He was that bad of a hire. Secondly we would have many, many candidates, qualified candidates for the job. Third, we aren?t poor ol MSU anymore. Without getting into details, we were left a ton of money earmarked for athletics. Fourth this program goes beyond what you see on Saturday. Their has been a shit ton of money invested in Starkville based on the past successes and future of our football program. Don?t think for a minute that we wouldn?t feel outside pressure, in fact I have already been told there is pressure now on the administration about this hire.
Fact is I?d rather get rid of joe Friday after thanksgiving and try and rebuild with another coach. If joe cannot win with this team he never will. Those are the facts

Walkerhill
11-13-2018, 08:08 AM
A want to point out a few things about this post. Most people in the business knew what we had returning and they look at the job this staff has done and wouldn?t blink an eye if we got rid of joe. He was that bad of a hire. Secondly we would have many, many candidates, qualified candidates for the job. Third, we aren?t poor ol MSU anymore. Without getting into details, we were left a ton of money earmarked for athletics. Fourth this program goes beyond what you see on Saturday. Their has been a shit ton of money invested in Starkville based on the past successes and future of our football program. Don?t think for a minute that we wouldn?t feel outside pressure, in fact I have already been told there is pressure now on the administration about this hire.
Fact is I?d rather get rid of joe Friday after thanksgiving and try and rebuild with another coach. If joe cannot win with this team he never will. Those are the facts

I would agree with you that coaches understand the drill. If Auburn runs off Gus, they will have run off a coach that took them to the BCS championship game after running off Chizik who won a title. And the next guy will take the job, because it gives him a chance at this level and he believes he can succeed where they failed (and even if he fails the contract buyout is guaranteed).

That being said, I disagree with you strongly that insiders would see MSU as justified in pursuing a change. Joe is very well thought of in coaching circles and they know we had limitations at wr and qb. We should have won at least 1 of UK and UF (I think we should have won both) but if you think anyone outside this message board would look at a coaching change this year as sane you are deluding yourself.

Coaching insiders would also know every single one of the names in this wishful thread would have had some level of the same offensive problems we have had unless they ran a very similar same offense as last year. We are just built for a run first power spread offense. I am willing to give Joe a fair shake now but I did think at the time we were naive to go away from that style of offense. Not just because it fit this 2018 team but also because it fits the talent MS offers and also the State?s gritty, pragmatic personality as a school. Joe needs to get those coaching pills out again and figure out how to adapt his offense to run first with a balanced share of RB touches.

If Joe wins these last 2 he is very safe and at worst on a warm but not hot seat.
If Joe scrapes 6 wins in 2019 same heading into 2020.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-13-2018, 08:55 AM

Maybe if he had come in here and we were 2-8 right now your point would hold some water, but in reality where I live this team will more than likely win 8 games and go to a pretty good bowl game. 8 wins will likely be good enough for third in the SECW. That is something that Dan Mullen did exactly once in nine years, So what were the expectations? Moorhead was supposed to come in and match or exceed the best season State has ever had or he faces the axe? Our fans have grown delusional.

Like I have stated before, the offense isn't nearly as good as everyone expected but it doesn't mean it cant get better. If we fire a first year head coach after our second best finish in the SECW in a decade NO ONE will want this job, We would end up with a Rick Ray type hire.

Dawgfan77
11-13-2018, 12:30 PM
Maybe if he had come in here and we were 2-8 right now your point would hold some water, but in reality where I live this team will more than likely win 8 games and go to a pretty good bowl game. 8 wins will likely be good enough for third in the SECW. That is something that Dan Mullen did exactly once in nine years, So what were the expectations? Moorhead was supposed to come in and match or exceed the best season State has ever had or he faces the axe? Our fans have grown delusional.

Like I have stated before, the offense isn't nearly as good as everyone expected but it doesn't mean it cant get better. If we fire a first year head coach after our second best finish in the SECW in a decade NO ONE will want this job, We would end up with a Rick Ray type hire.
Your making a bold assumption that we win the last two. I don?t care how bad OM is on D we are equally that bad on offense in SEC road games. 7,3,0... that?s what this offense has produced on the road this year. Winning in Oxford is not a forgone conclusion. I?m sure you all will be on my side come next Friday
Joe doesn?t get the vote of confidence

Jack Lambert
11-13-2018, 01:01 PM
I don't know if he is going to work out or not but he needs time. But to answer your question I would go after UAB's coach.

Dawg61
11-13-2018, 01:22 PM
Ken Briles

StarkVegasSteve
11-13-2018, 02:11 PM
None of the names mentioned and almost none of the names you could mention would come if we fired a first year HC after going 8-4 possibly 9-4. If it's Year 3 and we're still having the same problems then yea maybe at that point you get rid of him. But you can't fire a 1st year HC just because he didn't meet some very unrealistic expectations. Hell Matt Rhule went 1-11 his first year at Baylor and now he's got them a respectable record and he's building. And that was a guy looked at as a spread guy taking over a team that had just come off winning 9 games. We've got to have realistic expectations with Moorhead. We just need to accept that some people, myself included, thought it was our god given right to be 10-2 this year and challenge Bama for the West. We failed to see the bigger picture that we still had an inaccurate QB and very inexperienced WRs. And to run this offense, which I believe is the offense that CAN beat Bama, you have to have an accurate QB and good to great WRs.

msstate7
11-13-2018, 02:13 PM
None of the names mentioned and almost none of the names you could mention would come if we fired a first year HC after going 8-4 possibly 9-4. If it's Year 3 and we're still having the same problems then yea maybe at that point you get rid of him. But you can't fire a 1st year HC just because he didn't meet some very unrealistic expectations. Hell Matt Rhule went 1-11 his first year at Baylor and now he's got them a respectable record and he's building. And that was a guy looked at as a spread guy taking over a team that had just come off winning 9 games. We've got to have realistic expectations with Moorhead. We just need to accept that some people, myself included, thought it was our god given right to be 10-2 this year and challenge Bama for the West. We failed to see the bigger picture that we still had an inaccurate QB and very inexperienced WRs. And to run this offense, which I believe is the offense that CAN beat Bama, you have to have an accurate QB and good to great WRs.

Rhule is not a spread guy. He ran pro sets at temple

Tbonewannabe
11-13-2018, 03:11 PM

A lot of people are assuming that the 24 points we scored last year at home would translate to this year in Tuscaloosa. Nevermind that Mullen has only scored double digits 3 times, 10 points, 20 points (with a NFL QB), and 24 last year. We also ran into Bama last year when their 1st and 2nd string LBs were out. It was a perfect storm and we almost pulled it off except for a ref allowing Ridley to run down the damn sideline.

All that said, it doesn't excuse Moorhead from UK (penalties and rain didn't help - he has to make adjustments there), UF (probably thought UK wasn't the norm since we had put up shit tons of yards prior to UK, Grantham is good), LSU (Death Valley at night against a pissed off cajun team that had been embarrassed the year before, ultimate bulletin board material), and Bama (Their defense has been just ok to their standards but still lead the country in PPG).

MedDawg
11-13-2018, 03:31 PM
A lot of people are assuming that the 24 points we scored last year at home would translate to this year in Tuscaloosa. Nevermind that Mullen has only scored double digits 3 times, 10 points, 20 points (with a NFL QB), and 24 last year. We also ran into Bama last year when their 1st and 2nd string LBs were out. It was a perfect storm and we almost pulled it off except for a ref allowing Ridley to run down the damn sideline.

All that said, it doesn't excuse Moorhead from UK (penalties and rain didn't help - he has to make adjustments there), UF (probably thought UK wasn't the norm since we had put up shit tons of yards prior to UK, Grantham is good), LSU (Death Valley at night against a pissed off cajun team that had been embarrassed the year before, ultimate bulletin board material), and Bama (Their defense has been just ok to their standards but still lead the country in PPG).

Yep. Also, last season against us LSU had a couple defensive starters out and a couple more ejected for targeting.

Tbonewannabe
11-13-2018, 03:52 PM
Yep. Also, last season against us LSU had a couple defensive starters out and a couple more ejected for targeting.

Key was also hurt and just playing through it. It isn't always black and white like people are trying to make it out.