PDA

View Full Version : Cohen has contacted the league office.

starkvegasdawg
11-11-2018, 05:54 PM
COMMENTS
"I have personally communicated with Coordinator of Football officials Steve Shaw and SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey," Cohen shared on Sunday prior to Mississippi State's men's basketball game against Hartford. "Both have assured me that Saturday's game with Alabama will be fully reviewed. They also stated that official issues will be identified swiftly and dealt with directly."

BayouDawg
11-11-2018, 05:56 PM
Translation- they?ll get a raise

dawgday166
11-11-2018, 05:58 PM
Probably he had no choice. SEC office probably contacted him about the hit on Tua's thigh, and the new rule that will go into effect immediately for remainder of season and in future seasons as a result **** It's called the Saban's QB rule.

Tbonewannabe
11-11-2018, 06:00 PM
I don't know if I have ever seen this much noise about the obvious ref bias for Bama.

maroonmania
11-11-2018, 06:01 PM
Translation- they?ll get a raise

Yep, we see how they got to the bottom of the bad call last year during the MSU-Bama game in Starkville by putting the exact same ref back on the job for the MSU-Bama game this year in Tuscaloosa. There is ZERO accountability for officiating in this conference and I agree with Matt Wyatt when he said that SEC officiating is the worst among the Power 5 conferences.

Coursesuper
11-11-2018, 06:06 PM
There will be an apology and that's that. Move along nothing to see here.

Saltydog
11-11-2018, 06:09 PM
part but in all reality we all know little will be done. The SEC is quick to reprimand coaches but it sure would be nice to see them officially reprimand an official now and then.

WSOPdawg
11-11-2018, 06:13 PM
I don't know if I have ever seen this much noise about the obvious ref bias for Bama.

I'm waiting to hear from James Carville (probably tomorrow) as Saturday's game-calling only allows him to pour gas on the fire he lit last week.

mstatefan91
11-11-2018, 06:16 PM
There will be an apology and that's that. Move along nothing to see here.

Lmao we arent getting an apology. They may break up that crew but we aren’t getting a “I’m sorry” from the SEC

Liverpooldawg
11-11-2018, 06:20 PM
Yep, we see how they got to the bottom of the bad call last year during the MSU-Bama game in Starkville by putting the exact same ref back on the job for the MSU-Bama game this year in Tuscaloosa. There is ZERO accountability for officiating in this conference and I agree with Matt Wyatt when he said that SEC officiating is the worst among the Power 5 conferences.

There is plenty of accountability. The problem is who they are accountable to. Nearly everybody saw those calls as bad....except the people the refs are really accountable to. They saw them as good calls.

viverlibre
11-11-2018, 06:22 PM
There will be an apology and that's that. Move along nothing to see here. They will add...It had no outcome on the game.

FTFY

Coursesuper
11-11-2018, 06:24 PM
Lmao we arent getting an apology. They may break up that crew but we aren’t getting a “I’m sorry” from the SEC

Historically that's what has happened when there is visibly horrible officiating , they say " we made a mistake we'll try to do better in the future." Then you suck it up and move on.

BeardoMSU
11-11-2018, 06:33 PM
Historically that's what has happened when there is visibly horrible officiating , they say " we made a mistake we'll try to do better in the future." Then you suck it up and move on.

Yep. Too little, way too ****ing late.

Tbonewannabe
11-11-2018, 06:46 PM
FTFY

Only someone that knows zero about momentum in football would say the blown calls didn't affect the game.

Pollodawg
11-11-2018, 06:54 PM
The head referee is a huge redneck gump (I know, synonymous and all) whose dad played QB there back in the day. He should never call a Bama game again. That’s a conflict of interest. And he should be suspended for at least a two game minimum.

BeardoMSU
11-11-2018, 06:55 PM
Only someone that knows zero about momentum in football would say the blown calls didn't affect the game.

Abso17'nlutely. It should've been 14-7 in the 4th quarter with their starting QB out of the game. Who knows what would've happened. Not saying we would've won, but it would've been a totally different game.

Jack Lambert
11-11-2018, 06:57 PM

I think it is a combination of things. One. most everyone but the trailer park and side walk alumni are tired of Bama and Saban. Two it was so damn obvious. Three The Pack 12 situation on the targeting gave some credence to the conspiracy theories around officiating through out the P-5's.

HereComesTheSpiral
11-11-2018, 07:02 PM
Verdict: Cam Dantzler suspended the remainder of the season and the first 6 games next year for his' hit on Tua.**

msbulldog
11-11-2018, 08:32 PM
From Saturday down South:
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/report-sec-reviewing-officiating-in-alabama-mississippi-state-game/

ShotgunDawg
11-11-2018, 08:45 PM
FTFY

Not the point at all.

Michigan, Notre Dame, Clemson, and UGA should be more pissed than us. Terrible calls call into question the integrity of the playoff. There is no way to know if a fumble on the opening drive would've effected the outcome. What if MSU scores right after and seizes momentum.

Completely ignorant post.

tireddawg
11-11-2018, 08:58 PM
Totally ignorant post. What about the scoop and score when we stripped the ball? The refs blew the whistle prematurely. Another 7 points. We could've won.

somebodyshotmypaw
11-11-2018, 09:00 PM
I want a job as a referee. I've been in the full time working world for 25 years. I've never had a job with no accountability. I've had to get it right or get fired. These officials who can't referee worth a crap should be terminated. Period. Hire someone else and let them do it. If the guy who called the block in the back isn't terminated on Monday, then the SEC is complicit. Period. There is no answer other than termination.

Todd4State
11-11-2018, 09:55 PM

I had the same thought earlier today. Maybe it was because it was mostly relatively confined to the South before the era where all games are on TV.

The SEC at some point is going to have to deal with their officials directly.

Todd4State
11-11-2018, 09:56 PM
Not the point at all.

Michigan, Notre Dame, Clemson, and UGA should be more pissed than us. Terrible calls call into question the integrity of the playoff. There is no way to know if a fumble on the opening drive would've effected the outcome. What if MSU scores right after and seizes momentum.

Completely ignorant post.

ESPN should be pissed too. Alabama winning every year at some point is not going to be good TV for them.

FriarsPoint
11-11-2018, 10:05 PM
ESPN should be pissed too. Alabama winning every year at some point is not going to be good TV for them.

The game as a whole, not just espn. Again, DI football is on the down side of the slope headed toward nascar. When only four or five teams have a shot, people will quit giving a damn.

viverlibre
11-11-2018, 10:20 PM

I meant that is what the SEC will say, that score did not affect the final outcome. We all know it would have had a huge impact and the game would have been played differently.

Above I put that in the fictional SEC response. The SEC will say, it may have been a bad call, but that TD would have made the final score 24-7. We know that is BS, but that will be the SEC's take.

TimberBeast
11-11-2018, 10:54 PM

Where? I haven?t heard anything about it from anywhere. If you mean Cohen?s statement about it that?s nothing.

Tbonewannabe
11-11-2018, 11:12 PM
Where? I haven?t heard anything about it from anywhere. If you mean Cohen?s statement about it that?s nothing.

A lot of sports writers on Twitter were talking about it, not just MSU writers.

dawgday166
11-11-2018, 11:17 PM

All that stuff dies down real quick. Just like last year's Natty game. All anyone really remembers is this great comeback by Tua. Sec Now forgets about anything like that almost immediately and spend all their time praising Bama on how great their D is, how great this Bama team is, etc. They worse than Danielson. They say Bama D is best in conference and in reality ... it's not even close to ours.

TimberBeast
11-11-2018, 11:21 PM

Anyone outside of twitter? I’m talking like the real world?

Tbonewannabe
11-11-2018, 11:37 PM

I haven't paid attention if Sportscenter or something like that said anything if that is what you mean.

LC Dawg
11-11-2018, 11:45 PM
I haven't paid attention if Sportscenter or something like that said anything if that is what you mean.

It's over with the media. It was big news last night and today it's been all about two consecutive shutouts and how Tua is not 100%. The only way anything from our game gets brought up again is if Bama gets the same type calls in the playoffs and someone wants to bring up a conspiracy.
It's not going to change unless the SEC schools constantly complain about it and they are not going to do it. It will be the norm until at least when Saban leaves.

Lord McBuckethead
11-11-2018, 11:46 PM
Well SEC Network has only, and I mean only talked about the hit on Tua since the final whistle. The only one that could make a difference is Moorhead and/or Cohen. Moorhead should spend his opening statement blasting the SEC officials for a solid 10 minutes. Fines be damned. Matter of fact, 17 the fines. Publically state that you are not paying a fine. 17 them. What can they do if you refuse the fine? Hold back the bowl money? That would have good optics for the SEC.

Coach007
11-12-2018, 12:28 AM

It's everywhere. Believe it or not, I have seen Bama fans complaining about it. WEIRD! I know.

They don't want to win that way.

Todd4State
11-12-2018, 01:44 AM
Well SEC Network has only, and I mean only talked about the hit on Tua since the final whistle. The only one that could make a difference is Moorhead and/or Cohen. Moorhead should spend his opening statement blasting the SEC officials for a solid 10 minutes. Fines be damned. Matter of fact, 17 the fines. Publically state that you are not paying a fine. 17 them. What can they do if you refuse the fine? Hold back the bowl money? That would have good optics for the SEC.

If that happens I would make a donation to the Bulldog Club and earmark it for paying the fine. (It wouldn't pay for the whole fine in case John Cohen is reading).

But is it really in the best interests of the SEC to protect Alabama EVERY year? Take a cue from the NFL and enjoy parity. LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Texas A&M, Auburn, and etc. all have strong fan bases as well. If the SEC is that strong let multiple teams win the National Title- that would only enhance the conference.

Dawg61
11-12-2018, 02:01 AM

Yea cause the same five Billy Bob's you see everyday is the real world**

Behrdawg
11-12-2018, 08:43 AM
Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mobile Bay
11-12-2018, 09:30 AM
There is plenty of accountability. The problem is who they are accountable to. Nearly everybody saw those calls as bad....except the people the refs are really accountable to. They saw them as good calls.

That person would be Paul Bryant Jr. and the rest of the REC, where the refs really make their money.

gravedigger
11-12-2018, 09:41 AM
FTFY

If that is their strategy, which is wrong, their credibility nationally will suffer. It had a bearing on the way teams are ranked and calls into question other calls. If I were a bama fan I?d be infuriated for them tainting the effort my team gave.

Coach007
11-12-2018, 10:35 AM
Gotta love bama fans trying to say they did have a penalty in the game.

cheewgumm
11-12-2018, 10:50 AM
Listening to Bo Bounds it sounds like Cohen contacted the SEC office to tell them what a wonderful job the officials are doing.

If you?re gonna say that, then why even go do the interview with Bounds?

You see blatant terrible officiating where your team gets totally screwed and you?re message is the refs do a great job and if you can do better go try it?

Give me a break.

Coach007
11-12-2018, 10:56 AM
the ref involved in the blocking in the back call is a Bama grad, and avid Bama fan and father or grandfather played QB at Bama??

Per Matt?

Pollodawg
11-12-2018, 10:58 AM
I seriously doubt that Cohen called Birmingham to declare what a good job the refs were doing. However, if he did that, I’ve lost all faith in him as an AD. However, I don’t think he did that.

cheewgumm
11-12-2018, 11:00 AM
On the radio he said they were human and do a great job.

Why go on the radio if that is your message?

Pollodawg
11-12-2018, 11:02 AM

Why contact the SEC office to say that when you could just release a statement? However, like I said, if that’s all he did, I want him gone. He doesn’t have the stones to fight for MSU.

shannondawg
11-12-2018, 11:20 AM
the ref involved in the blocking in the back call is a Bama grad, and avid Bama fan and father or grandfather played QB at Bama??

Per Matt?

Even worse he works at a bank there.

shannondawg
11-12-2018, 11:24 AM
It seems strange that another ref didn't correct him on that, can't tell me they didn't have their eyes on the td. Or is it?????

I'm just sick about the whole thing, and not a damm thing I can do about it.

West Tn Dawg
11-12-2018, 04:59 PM
I agree, Cohen should have just STFU, if that's the best he can do! Instead he took a knee! Kiss my Ass, Cohen!!!!

RocketDawg
11-12-2018, 05:50 PM
Even worse he works at a bank there.

Why is working at a bank even worse? Most officials are businessmen/professionals somewhere.

It's my understanding that the official himself went to Jacksonville State, and his father went to UAT. But you can read just about anything. I seem to recall reading that on his bio on the bank website though. Apparently he had recently gotten the transfer to Lincoln, Ala, from another town in the state, but I have no idea where Lincoln is.

Regardless, if there's that connection (father playing or even went to UAT) then he shouldn't have been officiating the game. Send him to another game in the conference.

S.E.C.FAN 2018
11-12-2018, 06:42 PM
COMMENTS
"I have personally communicated with Coordinator of Football officials Steve Shaw and SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey," Cohen shared on Sunday prior to Mississippi State's men's basketball game against Hartford. "Both have assured me that Saturday's game with Alabama will be fully reviewed. They also stated that official issues will be identified swiftly and dealt with directly."

do you know how many times various athletic directors have gone to the Coordinators of football officials with complaints about the officiating in a Alabama game? I know personally of 3 times with one school. and at least 10 times with other schools It is a waste of time.

msbulldog
11-12-2018, 06:47 PM

Per Matt?

Graduate of Jacksonville State according to his bio. He was the side judge and did not make the call it was the back judge.
However he was the one who threw his hat and picked it up last year when Calvin Ridley ran out of bounds and back in illegally to catch the pass that cost us that game.

msbulldog
11-12-2018, 06:55 PM
Listening to Bo Bounds it sounds like Cohen contacted the SEC office to tell them what a wonderful job the officials are doing.

You see blatant terrible officiating where your team gets totally screwed and you?re message is the refs do a great job and if you can do better go try it?

Give me a break.

If you think IB called the SEC office to compliment the refereeing job I don't know what to tell you. He is not coming on the Bo Bounds show and go into a tirade and bad mouth the conference we belong to. That would be detrimental to our university that John Cohen loves.

msbulldog
11-12-2018, 07:02 PM
Why is working at a bank even worse? Most officials are businessmen/professionals somewhere.

It's my understanding that the official himself went to Jacksonville State, and his father went to UAT. But you can read just about anything. I seem to recall reading that on his bio on the bank website though. Apparently he had recently gotten the transfer to Lincoln, Ala, from another town in the state, but I have no idea where Lincoln is.

Regardless, if there's that connection (father playing or even went to UAT) then he shouldn't have been officiating the game. Send him to another game in the conference.

Lincoln is close to Anniston about halfway between Birmingham and Georgia.

gravedigger
11-12-2018, 10:08 PM

Because if you talk to them like a spoiled rotten message board brat you get nowhere and he has to go on record as being level headed. They do a good job most of the time. But when they screw up they try to act like it never happened. That?s the problem.

For 17s sake grow up. It?s as if some posters on this board live in a world of the apprentice. Every moment is not an opportunity to act like an ass. Diplomacy works.

LC Dawg
11-13-2018, 08:46 AM
Sankey told Cohen "John, you know the rules around here. Bend over and take it. And brace yourself because you've got a pretty good basketball team and you guys play Kentucky twice this year."

shannondawg
11-13-2018, 09:02 AM
I remember Stansbury took them to task, I believe after that free throw lane violation that cost us the SEC tourney championship, and was fined 200k or so. He said later wish he had said more to get his money's worth.

Because if you talk to them like a spoiled rotten message board brat you get nowhere and he has to go on record as being level headed. They do a good job most of the time. But when they screw up they try to act like it never happened. That?s the problem.

For 17s sake grow up. It?s as if some posters on this board live in a world of the apprentice. Every moment is not an opportunity to act like an ass. Diplomacy works.

TheDawgiLama
11-13-2018, 10:55 AM
Graduate of Jacksonville State according to his bio. He was the side judge and did not make the call it was the back judge.
However he was the one who threw his hat and picked it up last year when Calvin Ridley ran out of bounds and back in illegally to catch the pass that cost us that game.

Something I found interesting. The head referee is a guy named Ken Williamson. There is also a Ken Williamson who sells real estate in Tuscaloosa, who bears a striking resemblance. No idea where he went to college.

shannondawg
11-13-2018, 03:53 PM
Are we gonna hear from them or not, its been two days.

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2018, 05:06 PM
Rosebowl says the SEC has committed to giving him a response tomorrow.

My guess is that's when they'll put out other responses as well.

PassInterference
11-14-2018, 09:31 AM

Give me a break.

Yep. Total bullshit. Our AD is giving us the SEC company line. **** that.

Coursesuper
11-14-2018, 09:54 AM

I will be shocked if we see a response from the conference.

Mobile Bay
11-14-2018, 09:58 AM

I believe he is implying that the referee works for Bryant Bank as in Paul Bryant Jr.

shannondawg
11-14-2018, 11:59 AM

I can give it to you ahead of time: " we reviewed the play in question, and its unfortunate that the play was miscalled, we contacted the officials in question and they said it won't happen again"