PDA

View Full Version : Offensive stats vs conference

msstate7
11-11-2018, 09:30 AM
Total offense - 272.3 per game
14th in sec
126th nationally (only 129 conference teams)

Scoring offense - 11.2 points per game
14th in sec
129th nationally (dead last)

Yards per play - 4.59
14th in sec
122nd nationally

Number of offensive plays - 356
14th in sec
122nd nationally (only 2 teams below us have played 6 conf games)

I know it's popular here to not put any of the blame for offense on joe, so please tell me who to file my complaint against

Cooterpoot
11-11-2018, 09:33 AM
See my post in the Bill Clark thread. Offense is a damn mess.

dawgday166
11-11-2018, 09:34 AM
Fitz is the reason ****

ShotgunDawg
11-11-2018, 09:39 AM
Your numbers are staggering but I just don't see ineptitude with my eyes.

I see inconsistency. Against A&M and Auburn, the offense looked fine and those are 2 pretty good defenses.

Agree it's Moorhead's fault but there's got to be more to it. This is not a Croom situation. This offense will work but for whatever reason, Joe has had a difficult time getting execution on the road

bluelightstar
11-11-2018, 09:41 AM
The offense is absolutely abysmal, and it’s consistently abysmal. To be honest, the passing game execution we got against A&M was probably a fluke. I have not seen anything that makes me think this will work long term in the SEC. Will be a real problem next year when the defense isn’t otherworldly...

msstate7
11-11-2018, 09:50 AM

I see inconsistency. Against A&M and Auburn, the offense looked fine and those are 2 pretty good defenses.

Agree it's Moorhead's fault but there's got to be more to it. This is not a Croom situation. This offense will work but for whatever reason, Joe has had a difficult time getting execution on the road

What would ineptitude look like stat wise then? I think we hired a slightly less version of McE

Cooterpoot
11-11-2018, 09:56 AM
I?m not saying Jo needs to be fired but here is why people are pissed:

1. We?ve gone from around 30 a game to around 15 a game scoring.
2. We?re ranked about 115 in offensive plays run. We were top 20 last year.
3. Mullen teams never failed to score 10+ more than twice in a season. We?ve done it 4 times this year.
4. We sit a 1000 yard rusher for a more explosive guy and neither touch the ball.

Just so much bad on offense and Jo can?t adapt. He was called an offensive genius but it?s just not true. This has been Croomesque fall off on offense. Plus, special teams have been shitty.
If Jo loses one of the next two, it?s going to really divide the fans. And not in his favor.

Todd4State
11-11-2018, 10:13 AM
Let's revisit when he gets his players in and after our players have been in this system for more than a year. And also after Thanksgiving.

Todd4State
11-11-2018, 10:14 AM

You don't see ineptitude because you are looking at the big picture and not trying to only look at conference only stats one day after losing to Alabama.

Dawgfan77
11-11-2018, 10:17 AM
14th in sec

14th in sec

Yards per play - 4.59
14th in sec
122nd nationally

14th in sec

I know it's popular here to not put any of the blame for offense on joe, so please tell me who to file my complaint against

But but look at Saban and Kirby their first years.... this stat alone should be grounds for termination. You can regress some with a new coach. I get that but when you look this ill prepared, this fundamentally flawed and the only thing that changed was a new coach, you have significant problems
I have no idea how you defend that to your supporters and superiors. In this day and age of offense we are DFL in conference.
You cannot defend this offense or this staff

cheewgumm
11-11-2018, 10:19 AM
If you don?t see ineptitude now you never will.

If it takes adding in the SFA. La Laffeyetee and La Tech stats to make you look good then you?re not good.

Cowbell
11-11-2018, 10:20 AM
Let's revisit when he gets his players in and after our players have been in this system for more than a year. And also after Thanksgiving.

That still doesn?t make him a genius. We, at the very least, got less than what was advertised with Joe. We can only hope that he learns from the butt- whoopings hr has taken this year in being out coached on offense.

Great post 7!

cheewgumm
11-11-2018, 10:21 AM
Auburn was different because fhere was a lot of backlash from the fans for not giving the ball tonour RBs, so we made a point to do it against Auburn.

*** SFA. comb. RB carries 19. ( won 63-6)
*** K State - comb. RB carries 20 ( won 31-10)
*** L Laf - comb RB carries 22 ( won 56-10)
*** Kent - comb RB carries 12 (Lost 28-7)
*** Flor - comb RB carries 12 ( Lost 13-6)

I believe our coaches felt heat from fans to give the ball the RBs so complied...

*** AUB - comb RB carries 28 ( won 23-9)

Then we had a week off. They probably felt their offense will work they just needed
More work on it and had 2
Weeks to do it....

*** LSU - comb RB carries 14 (Lost 19-3)

The outlier is Texas A & M.

*** Tex AM - comb RB carries 13. ( Won 28-13)

We passed the ball well that game but I?d contend also had a few plYs that are out of the norm and you can?t count on every week...

1- Mitchell makes one handed grab
2- Mitchell makes grab jumping up over defender
3- Guidry makes good catch on TD under tight coverage
4- busted coverage leaves Guidry wide open for 84 yard gain

So yes passing worked here but it took some unusually good plays. They were good plays, don?t get me wrong. Just not ones you can count on week after week.

I also agree the offense will work when you outclass your opponent like La Tech...

*** La Tech - comb RB carries 9 ( won 45?3)

*** Bama - comb RB carries 14 ( Lost 24-0)

I contend we need to get the ball to our best playmakers and we will win. Hill and Williams.

I don?t think it?s a foregone conclusion we?ll beat Arkansas or Ole Miss. Especialy if our RBs split 12 caries.

msstate7
11-11-2018, 10:34 AM
We have 67 points in 6 games. In order to avg 20, we will have to score 93 points vs ark and om. This is possible, but not sure how likely...

Kentucky gives up 16.5 ppg in conf, and we got 7. (9.5 below avg)

Florida gives up 25.6 in conf, and we got 7. (18.6 below avg)

Auburn gives up 20.7 in conf, and scored 23. (2.3 above avg)

LSU gives up 18.4 in conf, and we scored 3. (15.4 below avg)

aTm gives up 25.6 in conf, and we scored 28. (2.4 above avg)

Bama gives up 13.1 in conf, and we scored 0. (13.6 below avg)

Totals...
Opponents give up 20.0 per game, and we've avg'd 11.2. So we're avg 8.8 points below avg so far

Ark gives up 38.2, so I expect us to score around 30. Om gives up 42.8, so I expect us around 35. If we score 30 and 35, that would put us at 16.5 ppg in conf this season

hacker
11-11-2018, 10:36 AM
When you're playing from behind, there are less running plays. When you're behind the sticks because of penalties and sacks, there are less running plays.

There are bigger issues than how many carries our RBs get.

cheewgumm
11-11-2018, 10:37 AM
Looking at this in conference is the Only way to look at it.

cheewgumm
11-11-2018, 10:38 AM
Hacker, sorry. I?d disagree. You put the call onyour beat playmakera hands.

There have been some times where penalties have forced long yardage situations but that doesn?t explain the whole season of low RB carries.

Cooterpoot
11-11-2018, 10:40 AM
When you're playing from behind, there are less running plays. When you're behind the sticks because of penalties and sacks, there are less running plays.

There are bigger issues than how many carries our RBs get.

We?ve been in every game for 3 qtrs for the most part. Plenty of opportunities to get playmakers the ball.

Cooterpoot
11-11-2018, 10:43 AM
The fact our defense is incredible and we are near last in America in offensive plays is damn ridiculous. That’s an ass load of 3 and outs along with an embarrassingly high number of indecisive play calls.

msstate7
11-11-2018, 10:45 AM
The fact our defense is incredible and we are near last in America in offensive plays is damn ridiculous. That’s an ass load of 3 and outs along with an embarrassingly high number of indecisive play calls.

Imagine how good our defense would be with a competent offense. We'd be Clemson

Dawgfan77
11-11-2018, 10:54 AM
When your coach is having to listen to fans to change the game plan ...ala we need to run more... and it works.... then what?s that tell you about the coach??

ShotgunDawg
11-11-2018, 10:57 AM
What would ineptitude look like stat wise then? I think we hired a slightly less version of McE

About the same. Just saying that my eyes don't see ineptitude. My eyes sees open WRs, a QB that can't find them, and a team that can't pick up blitzes.

Stats are important but don't always tell the story. I see hope.

cheewgumm
11-11-2018, 11:02 AM
I think he?d be ok if he?d just give the ball to our RBs...like the Auburn game.

If he doesn?t, we have a decent chance of losing one of these last 2z

HoopsDawg
11-11-2018, 11:24 AM
14th in sec

14th in sec

Yards per play - 4.59
14th in sec
122nd nationally

14th in sec

MY GOODNESS. Hard to believe.

MarketingBully
11-11-2018, 11:34 AM
14th in sec

14th in sec

Yards per play - 4.59
14th in sec
122nd nationally

14th in sec

What are the point of these threads? Seriously dude. Please find another hobby.

cheewgumm
11-11-2018, 11:40 AM
What is the point of any thread? Lets just all log off and go read.

HoopsDawg
11-11-2018, 11:43 AM
What are the point of these threads? Seriously dude. Please find another hobby.

People don't want to see the facts. Dead last in scoring offense. Moorhead was hired bc of his supposed offensive acumen.

MarketingBully
11-11-2018, 01:49 PM
People don't want to see the facts. Dead last in scoring offense. Moorhead was hired bc of his supposed offensive acumen.

No, it’s not that. Msstate7 has started at least 6 to 7 threads with the same basic premise. We get it Msstate7 does not like Moorhead.

cheewgumm
11-11-2018, 01:51 PM
Probably not Moorhead personally. Probably doesn?t like being last in division 1 in offense.

Political Hack
11-11-2018, 01:53 PM
That's pretty piss poor. I see it being a painfully obvious combo of Fitz and JoMo. They don't work together.

MarketingBully
11-11-2018, 01:55 PM
Probably not Moorhead personally. Probably doesn?t like being last in division 1 in offense.

He hates Moorhead. He’s always freaking out as well. The worst was when we were on a bye week and Ole Miss beat a hapless Arkansas team. It’s at its worst when we lose and OM wins. Thank goodness A&M woke up yesterday and put distance between those two teams. I’m sure he was really unbearable when OM had the lead on A&M. I didn’t see but I’m sure I’m right.

MarketingBully
11-11-2018, 01:57 PM
That's pretty piss poor. I see it being a painfully obvious combo of Fitz and JoMo. They don't work together.

You’re right. It’s a combination of JoMo and Fitz. They don’t work well together at all.

cheewgumm
11-11-2018, 01:58 PM
Do you ever wonder why you are defending a coach that took a good offensive team and turned it into one of the worst offenses in division 1?

Nobody hates Moorhead. I don?t.

I think what he?s done this year has been hard headed and dumb. I don?t think he?s dumb but what he?s done has been dumb and it?s led to our offense being criminally bad.

msstate7
11-11-2018, 01:59 PM
He hates Moorhead. He’s always freaking out as well. The worst was when we were on a bye week and Ole Miss beat a hapless Arkansas team. It’s at its worst when we lose and OM wins. Thank goodness A&M woke up yesterday and put distance between those two teams. I’m sure he was really unbearable when OM had the lead on A&M. I didn’t see but I’m sure I’m right.

That wasn't what set me off that week. It was tenn beating auburn. I knew then that our win over auburn was nothing. I also started regretting not getting Pruitt. Pruitt is looking like the real deal to me

MarketingBully
11-11-2018, 02:06 PM
That wasn't what set me off that week. It was tenn beating auburn. I knew then that our win over auburn was nothing. I also started regretting not getting Pruitt. Pruitt is looking like the real deal to me

Pruitt will be fired in 3 years. Book it.

msstate7
11-11-2018, 02:09 PM
Pruitt will be fired in 3 years. Book it.

I don't know man. He'll win 1 more this year to make a bowl. Recruiting looking good. I think his defense really takes a step forward next season

MarketingBully
11-11-2018, 02:16 PM
Do you ever wonder why you are defending a coach that took a good offensive team and turned it into one of the worst offenses in division 1?

Nobody hates Moorhead. I don?t.

I think what he?s done this year has been hard headed and dumb. I don?t think he?s dumb but what he?s done has been dumb and it?s led to our offense being criminally bad.

He has a pass first offense with a run first QB. That never works. Mullen sucked ass with Tyler Russell and Malzhan is sucking with Stidham this year. If you want to blame someone about this, blame Cohen for hiring Moorhead if all you wanted was for him to have this glorious first year. He should have hired a run first spread coach if he wanted to take advantage of what we had this year on offense. My guess is Cohen was thinking big picture and sacrificed this year with an 8-4 type season for us to be better in the long run. Moorhead’s offense is what we need to compete as it is almost impossible to stop with the right QB in the system. In retrospect, Moorhead probably should have brought in a JUCO QB or a grad transfer like Freeze did his first year to run his system. He has Shrader coming in next year but imo I’d put the full court press on Bryant and get him in here. Until he has his QB, this offense is going to look wonky. It actually requires a QB to do QB type things like pre-snap and post snap reads and learning how to read a defense.

MarketingBully
11-11-2018, 02:19 PM
I don't know man. He'll win 1 more this year to make a bowl. Recruiting looking good. I think his defense really takes a step forward next season

He will be going to Vandy at 5-6 and needing to win that game to get to a bowl. My guess is they will lose.

Dawgfan77
11-11-2018, 02:21 PM
He has a pass first offense with a run first QB. That never works. Mullen sucked ass with Tyler Russell and Malzhan is sucking with Stidham this year. If you want to blame someone about this, blame Cohen for hiring Moorhead if all you wanted was for him to have this glorious first year. He should have hired a run first spread coach if he wanted to take advantage of what we had this year on offense. My guess is Cohen was thinking big picture and sacrificed this year with an 8-4 type season for us to be better in the long run. Moorhead’s offense is what we need to compete as it is almost impossible to stop with the right QB in the system. In retrospect, Moorhead probably should have brought in a JUCO QB or a grad transfer like Freeze did his first year to run his system. He has Shrader coming in next year but imo I’d put the full court press on Bryant and get him in here. Until he has his QB, this offense is going to look wonky. It actually requires a QB to do QB type things like pre-snap and post snap reads and learning how to read a defense.
I would agree with you except you don?t go to DFL in offense. Had the regression been slightly off I could get on board but it?s been slytanic bad. He shows no inclination of improving as a HC. No QB is gonna miraculously turn this around. He is and has been a bad fit

MarketingBully
11-11-2018, 02:35 PM
I would agree with you except you don?t go to DFL in offense. Had the regression been slightly off I could get on board but it?s been slytanic bad. He shows no inclination of improving as a HC. No QB is gonna miraculously turn this around. He is and has been a bad fit

This offense completely depends on the QB from the protections and pre-snap reads to the RPOs after the snap to the progressions and reading the defense. QBs in this offense will be prepared for the NFL because they won’t get this much autonomy in any other offense. Look at McSorley last year at Penn State. Once Moorhead trusts his QB in this offense, the sky is the limit in this offense. A QB that is confident and commands this offense is big. Look at Fitz from the A&M and La Tech games. He was confident and the whole offense fed off it.

Cowbell
11-11-2018, 05:15 PM
I think he?d be ok if he?d just give the ball to our RBs...like the Auburn game.

If he doesn?t, we have a decent chance of losing one of these last 2z

There is something that the guys defending Moorhead just don?t understand. We are throwing three plays in a row early in games when we need to be letting our offensive line dominate.