PDA

View Full Version : I totally agree with this writeup on our game day atmosphere...

maroonmania
10-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Is their ANY other SEC team, no, ANY other college football team that has all the shenanigans (Mootube videos, games and bad commercials, on-field races, introduction of teams and other guests, etc, etc.) that we do DURING the football game? Its almost become a circus and sucks all the intensity out of the fans during key moments of the game. I'm almost willing to say that it WAS indeed a better atmosphere before we ever saw the appearance of the monster jumbotron. And I admit, it probably wouldn't bother me quite as much if we were actually WINNING some big home SEC games, which we aren't, but it would still be an issue.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2013/10/17/manufactured-atmosphere-davis-wade-stadium-terrible/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Trending%20on%20FS

godlluB
10-17-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm totally in agreement with that whole article. During the last home game I thought to myself that I wish they'd just tear the damned thing down.

Instead of the jumbotron, we should start calling it the Buzz Killer, or the Life Sucker.

'Merica Dawg
10-17-2013, 11:48 AM
I read the article this morning and couldn't agree more. This topic was mentioned during the off-season and I am pretty sure brought up to stricklin (but it doesn't seem anything has been done.. its the same shit from last year [but seems worse]).

A poll on this topic would be a great idea.

Barking 13
10-17-2013, 11:50 AM
What will we do when there's one at both ends?

Coach34
10-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Brando had a great idea this morning-said there should be a Red Zone type of channel or broadcast for fans during TV time-outs of games. That would help keep attendance of games up. People could get what they do at home watching games.

Bark
10-17-2013, 11:52 AM
And just think....next year we will have two video boards that size. I still think they could play commercials anytime they wanted if they would just make them silent advertisements. For example, 'this music brought to you by the Veranda'

Political Hack
10-17-2013, 11:52 AM
wi-find and cell service for the students in the stadium would help more IMO.

Either way, the atmosphere has steadily declined since 2010.

FlabLoser
10-17-2013, 11:54 AM
They got rid of some commercials - GOOD! But they've not done anything useful with the time freed up from commercials - BAD!

Kiss Cam, hair flow, and such is good. Some like it, some don't. Can't please everybody. But stuff like that goes on at every venue that has a decent video board. More fans like it than don't like it, regardless of what your circle of friends says. So I'm OK with that.

I am not OK that they got rid of fan pump-up music altogether or that they play it at random times instead of when it makes sense. The aforementioned Kiss Cam and such are also played at random times in stead of when the makes sense - between quarters, during a timeout where there is a lull in the game, etc.

It appears there is no thought whatsoever towards in-game context with the small exception of the "Let's Close This Out"/"Let's Take This To The House" thing. Big 3rd down timeout? Let's play whatever is the next item in the list of things to play.

We need a DJ/VJ manned by somebody that understands football. Its pretty simple. This is not hard. I respect and appreciate that the administration has carved out airtime for atmospheric content. But they've totally waffled on how to decide when and what to play.

FlabLoser
10-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Brando had a great idea this morning-said there should be a Red Zone type of channel or broadcast for fans during TV time-outs of games. That would help keep attendance of games up. People could get what they do at home watching games.

With ESPN backing the SEC and having a vested interest in an electric atmosphere at all the games, they should easily come up with something. I am surprised they haven't done this.

M.Fillmore
10-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Did Scott not pay attention to the Bama game last year. Bama does a great job and keeps the fans pumped. I admit winning every game helps, but Bama does a great job.

Barking 13
10-17-2013, 11:59 AM
On big third down TO's and stuff, what about showing a previous big stop or big play to get the fans back in it...

TheRef
10-17-2013, 12:01 PM
I agree completely with this article. I find myself at times wondering who is in charge of the music during the games because it seems like almost any time there is a big moment, the wrong music plays and we have buzzkill Bill make an entrance over the sound system. I'm glad we've limited the mic'd up cheerleader to only before the game. They tried using a mic for the cheerleader during every timeout in basketball and that just wasn't ever going to work. They need a college student working the music, truthfully. No offense to those that aren't college students, but you know that someone who can feel the pulse of a game can know what song to play in a situation.

War Machine Dawg
10-17-2013, 12:07 PM
They got rid of some commercials - GOOD! But they've not done anything useful with the time freed up from commercials - BAD!

Kiss Cam, hair flow, and such is good. Some like it, some don't. Can't please everybody. But stuff like that goes on at every venue that has a decent video board. More fans like it than don't like it, regardless of what your circle of friends says. So I'm OK with that.

I am not OK that they got rid of fan pump-up music altogether or that they play it at random times instead of when it makes sense. The aforementioned Kiss Cam and such are also played at random times in stead of when the makes sense - between quarters, during a timeout where there is a lull in the game, etc.

It appears there is no thought whatsoever towards in-game context with the small exception of the "Let's Close This Out"/"Let's Take This To The House" thing. Big 3rd down timeout? Let's play whatever is the next item in the list of things to play.

We need a DJ/VJ manned by somebody that understands football. Its pretty simple. This is not hard. I respect and appreciate that the administration has carved out airtime for atmospheric content. But they've totally waffled on how to decide when and what to play.

Nailed it, Flab. We've freed up time, but haven't done anything with all the new time. And the random-ness of when we do the other stuff is crazy.

Political Hack
10-17-2013, 12:11 PM
the football team needs to give them a list of about 10 songs they can play for offense and defense to get them and the stadium pumped. on offense you can play the more rythmic stuff that has a little upbeat and swagger to it, but on defense you need pump up songs with a big hit video.

I also agree that between the quarters they should play all the silly games rather than fitting them in during time outs. Watching mustard race ketchup right before the biggest play of the game is stupid. We need cowbell lpumping music during the entire timeout. That's something else I'd like to see... songs that need more cowbell. It's damn intimidating when you've got 60,000 fans ringing their cowbells to the same beat. Makes visitors feel like they've walked up the wrong mountain and just got squealed at because 'they got a purty mouth.'

OldFatDog
10-17-2013, 12:14 PM
the video of the Grove Girl during the Egg Bowl.

godlluB
10-17-2013, 12:14 PM
I've been thinking about this some more, and I propose we name it "Ole Miss Coed" because it sucks the life out of the football program.

CJDAWG85
10-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Nothing's worse than a TO and that damn Mercedes commercial comes on... It's the biggest buzzkill we put up there and we play it multiple times a game

maroonmania
10-17-2013, 12:21 PM

We did that some during the LSU game where there were several in-game peeks on the big board for Ark-FL and OM-Aub. I personally enjoyed that MUCH MUCH more than watching Dillon Day flip his hair around but even that won't help keep the crowd amped for the game that is actually going on in the stadium. Might keep more people actually coming to games though, I don't know.

godlluB
10-17-2013, 12:25 PM
I wish they'd actually play "Don't Fear The Reaper" some time, maybe after the "more cowbell" skit, just to see if it turns out as cool as it is in my head.

Political Hack
10-17-2013, 12:26 PM

I approve this message... I want the part where she talks about them not having high IQs.

BulldogBear
10-17-2013, 12:38 PM

This^ ....yes, yes, yes- what Political Hack said!

cbrunt29
10-17-2013, 12:57 PM
I absolutely agree with this article. What about the band? Marching Bands have been apart of college football games forever. And some of the songs they play get me pumped up about the oncoming play. Now, you can't hear the band because of the damned jumbotron blaring out commercials.

hailmari
10-17-2013, 12:58 PM
I like the player videos, but I agree that they need to come at better times. I'm a little sick of the car race thing, don't even watch it anymore.

I will never buy a Mercedes-Benz just because of that damn commercial.

drunkernhelldawg
10-17-2013, 12:58 PM
The jumbotron has been a negative from its inception, as I said at the time (and I was ridiculed for it). I have little desire to share an evening or afternoon with that ridiculous monstrosity.

Ghost of Hank Flick
10-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the kinds words about the article. In addition to all the ill-timed commercials and games, the amount of them is ridiculous as well. And they should be around 80% done in the 1st half thru halftime (this could be pushed to the sponsor that our fans leave at halftime anyway, ha).

I've been to a number of games at Bryant Denny, and when they sing "My home's in Alabama" I think it's an awesome moment, even if I hate the Tide to my core. Like Hack said, I think something done where we can use our cowbells would be awesome. There are 5 million songs out there, we need to find one, or two, or three that really get everyone pumped in that way.

At the end of the day I think the unfortunate truth is until we start winning big games the last 10-15K fans that buy a ticket to make it a sellout want all that kiss cam and crap and might not be there without the "entertainment" outside just the game itself. We need to be good enough in football for the product to sell itself. If it were up to me I wouldn't be a sell out and cater to those fans who want "entertainment" but it's not up to me. All I can do is bitch from my blogging chair.

HoopsDawg
10-17-2013, 01:02 PM
The video board was great during the 2010 Arkansas overtime game against Ryan Mallet. I guess we had hit our commercial quota so they just played music. The stadium was rocking, the players were fired up, unbelievable atmosphere. If Vick had just held onto the ball after a great effort, we would have pulled off the upset.

Political Hack
10-17-2013, 01:10 PM
The video board was great during the 2010 Arkansas overtime game against Ryan Mallet. I guess we had hit our commercial quota so they just played music. The stadium was rocking, the players were fired up, unbelievable atmosphere. If Vick had just held onto the ball after a great effort, we would have pulled off the upset.

best loss I've ever been to. I've never been prouder of the team following that loss either. That place was rocking and it was an AWESOME game and unreal atmosphere.

Will James
10-17-2013, 01:11 PM

+1 These last 2 years atmospheres have been awful. I've been on this train for years now

Esmerelda Villalobos
10-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Answer. Go to auburn. Copy what they do. Done.

It isnt the commercials. It is the sound with commericals. We do run more commercials than any school in the country but other schools run them differently.

AROB44
10-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Is their ANY other SEC team, no, ANY other college football team that has all the shenanigans (Mootube videos, games and bad commercials, on-field races, introduction of teams and other guests, etc, etc.) that we do DURING the football game? Its almost become a circus and sucks all the intensity out of the fans during key moments of the game. I'm almost willing to say that it WAS indeed a better atmosphere before we ever saw the appearance of the monster jumbotron. And I admit, it probably wouldn't bother me quite as much if we were actually WINNING some big home SEC games, which we aren't, but it would still be an issue.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2013/10/17/manufactured-atmosphere-davis-wade-stadium-terrible/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Trending%20on%20FS

I would change "almost" to "has". It's like a cheap carnival. We will never see the electricity of '98 and '99 again as long as we have the jumbotron.

civildawg
10-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Speaking of Auburn, I've been to there the past 2 times we played them. Their band is FAR superior to ours. I honestly think our band is the worst in the SEC

cbrunt29
10-17-2013, 01:41 PM

I would pay someone to play this!

Will James
10-17-2013, 01:42 PM
It isnt the commercials. It is the sound with commericals. We do run more commercials than any school in the country but other schools run them differently.

Exactly. How ****ing hard is it to put up a logo with music playing

Pollodawg
10-17-2013, 01:46 PM
I echo a sentiment I saw on SPS. I wish somebody would buy that bitch a Mercedes already....

Pollodawg
10-17-2013, 01:47 PM
I like the player videos, but I agree that they need to come at better times. I'm a little sick of the car race thing, don't even watch it anymore.

I will never buy a Mercedes-Benz just because of that damn commercial.

lol. Beat me to it.

Esmerelda Villalobos
10-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Stop agreeing with me will james

BulldogBear
10-17-2013, 02:21 PM

I was there and uggh, that's such a stupid rule. If you fumble forward and out of bounds anywhere else on the field you simply retain possession and the ball is brought back to place it was fumbled (backward is a whole different concept and you suffer for it accordingly). Why should it be any different at the goal line? The other team did not recover. Just bring the ball back to the point from which it was fumbled and proceed to the next down. Only if it goes out the back of the endzone should it be a touchback.

drunkernhelldawg
10-17-2013, 02:44 PM
I was there and uggh, that's such a stupid rule. If you fumble forward and out of bounds anywhere else on the field you simply retain possession and the ball is brought back to place it was fumbled (backward is a whole different concept and you suffer for it accordingly). Why should it be any different at the goal line? The other team did not recover. Just bring the ball back to the point from which it was fumbled and proceed to the next down. Only if it goes out the back of the endzone should it be a touchback.

Probably the most difficult football rule to accept, but it is fair in that the player who fumbles is not penalized for his mistake if the ball is merely placed at the spot of the fumble. If might be fair if the fumbling team gets the ball, but back at the 20. I'm really not sure what the best answer is. Just don't fumble, ball carrier, and we got no issue.

DanDority
10-17-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm totally in agreement with that whole article. During the last home game I thought to myself that I wish they'd just tear the damned thing down.

Instead of the jumbotron, we should start calling it the Buzz Killer, or the Life Sucker.

I vote for THIS!

grinnindawg
10-17-2013, 03:28 PM
The use of the video board is awful.
Nothing should be shown in the 3rd and 4th quarter of close games other than silent ads or music.

I would pay $20 more a game to not see:
Bullock Toyota ad (even thought it's pre-game). "Who let the dog's out?" should not be used in ads
Mercedes ad
Columbus Ortho ad

SignalToNoise
10-17-2013, 03:43 PM
COME SEE US IN LOUISSSSSVUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLL.

TheRef
10-17-2013, 03:46 PM
COME SEE US IN LOUISSSSSVUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfsYy8bvi-k

mic
10-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Things that HAVE to go.
The on field Sonic race.. or do it at half time before the punt pass kick thing
Kiss Cam..
Cartoon Car Race ..
The find the cowbell crap.
Hair thing is stupid..
And I agree the Benz commercial is as bad as it gets. It may be worse than the Progressive Insurance with Flo..

FlabLoser
10-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Some Netflix ads could be good. For heavens sakes Netflix doesn't mind spending to advertise.

Coming out of a timeout, we play the Braveheart scene where Mel Gibson rallies his troops and they all raise their arms and yell.

Barking 13
10-18-2013, 08:14 AM
COME SEE US IN DOWNTOWN LOUISSSSSVUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLL.

FIFY.... yeah, certified milf... if you had a gag....

SignalToNoise
10-18-2013, 08:22 AM
FIFY.... yeah, certified milf... if you had a gag....

Yep, I know I would.

FlabLoser
10-18-2013, 10:13 AM
How about that Sonic race..not the videoboard one, but the one with the mascots. Why not have a real race with real fans inside those things. Make it a contest where they win something. And to make it entertaining, spin them around in a few circles and then let them go.

'Merica Dawg
10-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Things that HAVE to go.
The on field Sonic race.. or do it at half time before the punt pass kick thing
Kiss Cam..
Cartoon Car Race ..
The find the cowbell crap.
Hair thing is stupid..
And I agree the Benz commercial is as bad as it gets. It may be worse than the Progressive Insurance with Flo..

I think all this is appealing to:
1. Moms
2. kids
3. old people

read a GP thread on this topic and you will agree with #3.

Maroonthirteen
10-18-2013, 11:03 AM
The following week, the Little Rock sports talk shows went on and on about what a great atmosphere we had at our games. One former player even mentioned send their athletic admin staff to MSU for lessons. This from sports talk show hosts that never have anything positive to say about us.

Oh, very good article. Minor league baseball is a good comparason. It is what our stadium atmosphere has become.

trob115
10-18-2013, 11:15 AM
That Arkansas game was the best atmosphere at DWS I have ever seen as far as a production stand point. The crowd was into the game, there wasn't over playing of dumb commercials/races, and hype music was being played throughout the game to keep the crowd involved. We need to ditch the commercials after the 1st quarter or halftime at the latest.

SignalToNoise
10-18-2013, 11:48 AM
I agree with a lot of the criticisms of the video board and it's use, but I don't see a lot of talk about our team. For me it's hard to get excited when you know exactly what to expect these days. To me the product on the field plays a role in this, too, and it's not exactly helping with things right now.

Political Hack
10-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Some Netflix ads could be good. For heavens sakes Netflix doesn't mind spending to advertise.

Coming out of a timeout, we play the Braveheart scene where Mel Gibson rallies his troops and they all raise their arms and yell.

I think you nailed a great idea without spelling it out for people. With Netflix you could advertise while showing awesome "pump up" scenes from movies that are available on Netflix with a simple "Available on Netflix" and just the netflix logo. You could also do similar things with Blockbuster, redbox, Sirius, XM, X-box, play station, the NFL, etc... there are plenty of ways to have a commercial that still keeps you pumped up. Hell, you could even agree to do some movie previews.

maroonmania
10-18-2013, 12:01 PM
I think all this is appealing to:
1. Moms
2. kids
3. old people

read a GP thread on this topic and you will agree with #3.

Yep, we are MState, no videos of Katharine Webb eating a burger allowed but we are stuck with these other goofy on field activities and annoying commercials and videos. Hard to believe there would be more complaints about Katharine Webb than that God-awful Mercedes Benz commercial.

trob115
10-18-2013, 03:25 PM
If you venture over to the pack, they have started a similar thread today that is in agreement with the majority of people in this threat.

GumpDawg
10-18-2013, 03:41 PM
I second the band also being an issue, but I'm not sure it is totally their fault. The commercialization of our games has take them out of it to a great extent. I remember the first state game I ever attended at DWS and was so annoyed by the band constantly playing. Now you don't even know they are there. Maybe the buzzkiller sucks the life out of them the way it does the fans.

FlabLoser
10-18-2013, 09:09 PM
ESPN just showed Louisville's live DJ that handles their stadium music.