PDA

View Full Version : Coaches/timing

dawg21
11-09-2018, 10:17 PM
As I watch Bobby Petrino I wonder is this karma, or has his time come and gone?

I?ve always said that the timing of a coach?s arrival for a program is as important as their abilities. Think of all the ?hot? names over the last 5 or 6 years that people were clamoring over. Is Petrino that bad, is Les Miles, that guy at Miami before Richt (he sucks), Rich Rod, etc.

My point is that the timing and the program have to fit. I thought South Carolina screwed up by hiring Muschamp- but it actually looks like a good fit for them.

Todd4State
11-09-2018, 10:28 PM
I think it's just like everyone else that works where a lot of people have a peak in the prime of their career and a decline later on in their careers. Getting rid of Todd Grantham was a very poor choice for them as well. Petrino hasn't really helped himself over the years with professional mistakes like the incident in Arkansas that got him fired and he left the Falcons or Jaguars I can't remember which out to dry. Even Bear Bryant later in his career was losing to people like USM and going to the Liberty Bowl versus winning a National Championship.

I do think there has to be a "fit" too. Look at Skip Holtz. Bad at South Florida. But at La Tech he has been a consistent winner and it looks like they are going to easily win 8 games and very possibly win nine this year with two of their three losses to SEC teams. You could say the same as far as Bob Shoop at Tennessee versus at MSU, Penn State or Vanderbilt. Manny Diaz at Texas wasn't a good fit- but he was good at MSU, La Tech, MTSU, and now Miami.