PDA

View Full Version : SEC FILM LAST NIGHT

basedog
11-08-2018, 04:35 PM
I was really impressed with Coach Bob Shoop last night, he is the real deal. Yes we have talent but he is coaching them up with his schemes. Maybe I'm wrong but he is as good of a DC as I have seen at Msu. He is very intense, plus watching our secondary and their improvement says a lot to me as it's what he coaches.

ShotgunDawg
11-08-2018, 04:41 PM
Shoop comes across as that weird, wicked smart, introverted guy that has just enough humor that kids really like playing for him.

We'll find out how good he is this weekend.

If he can scheme something up to contain Bama's offense, then I'll be unbelievably impressed

HoopsDawg
11-08-2018, 04:59 PM
We have to trust our front 4 and dare Bama to run the ball. Tua will light up our blitzes.

basedog
11-08-2018, 05:00 PM
Shoop comes across as that weird, wicked smart, introverted guy that has just enough humor that kids really like playing for him.

If he can scheme something up to contain Bama's offense, then I'll be unbelievably impressed

Dude if you haven't been impressed up to now I don't think you can be helped. You are saying "let's wait and see against Bama who has probably the best offense they have ever had".

Shoop is a good DC regardless of this week,

ShotgunDawg
11-08-2018, 05:07 PM
Dude if you haven't been impressed up to now I don't think you can be helped. You are saying "let's wait and see against Bama who has probably the best offense they have ever had".

Shoop is a good DC regardless of this week,

I am impressed. If Bama scores 60 this week, I'll still think he's a good DC. My point is that "we'll find out how good he is this weekend." Meaning, we'll find out what his ceiling is.

basedog
11-08-2018, 05:29 PM
" Meaning, we'll find out what his ceiling is.

I'm not sure you can compare Bama's Ceiling to everyone else in the Sec or the country. Let's hope our offense can score some TD, and our punter can flip the field a few times. Bama has way to much speed and big play offense, their young wideouts have NFL skill.

Todd4State
11-08-2018, 05:35 PM
I really like Shoop a lot too. He's not as exotic as Joe Lee Dunn but I like that he is able to balance aggressiveness while at the same time not exposing us too much in coverage.

KOdawg1
11-08-2018, 05:45 PM
If we can just get him to stay for a while..

Having some continuity at the DC position would be nice.

basedog
11-08-2018, 05:46 PM
I really like Shoop a lot too. He's not as exotic as Joe Lee Dunn but I like that he is able to balance aggressiveness while at the same time not exposing us too much in coverage.

Exactly, he is what Spurrier termed “ball coach”.
He doesn’t just sell out his blitz package, he is aggressive but he keeps it under control.

Pit Bull
11-08-2018, 09:43 PM
I was really impressed with Coach Bob Shoop last night, he is the real deal. Yes we have talent but he is coaching them up with his schemes. Maybe I'm wrong but he is as good of a DC as I have seen at Msu. He is very intense, plus watching our secondary and their improvement says a lot to me as it's what he coaches.

Will be interesting to see after the season is over with..... how the 2017 D (Grantham) compares to the 2018 D (Shoop). Both had almost the same talent except at punter. It's better to take a whole season to compare than just a few games or one game. Our punter this year likely gave Shoop worse field position on average to work with.

3rdGen
11-08-2018, 09:55 PM
Damn. I started a thread about this yesterday and you chimed in.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/6a57d8981256bd10835c6feb17d988b5/tenor.gif?itemid=4608241

basedog
11-08-2018, 11:03 PM
Damn. I started a thread about this yesterday and you chimed in.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/6a57d8981256bd10835c6feb17d988b5/tenor.gif?itemid=4608241

LOL

+1

gravedigger
11-09-2018, 08:47 AM

Shoop is going to have to call the game quite differently than he has called the rest. Bama's strength is the long ball these days and we are going to have to play center field to stop it as their receivers are among the fastest in the nation. We need to make Tua or whomever hold the ball long enough to let that DL get to him a couple of times. Then we need to pick off a couple of 50/50 balls.

This ought to be a good prep for the Egg bowl too. Ole Miss relies almost exclusively on the long ball and if we can hold some ground with Bama, we will know we can do it with Ole Miss too. I'm just hoping Simmons and Sweat and Thompson cause Tua to make some rash decisions that lead to turnovers.

If bama can run the ball successfully against us, we are toast.

Dawg61
11-09-2018, 09:09 AM
Will be interesting to see after the season is over with..... how the 2017 D (Grantham) compares to the 2018 D (Shoop). Both had almost the same talent except at punter. It's better to take a whole season to compare than just a few games or one game. Our punter this year likely gave Shoop worse field position on average to work with.

There's no likely about it we had a much better punter last year. Our punter this year ranks 119th in the nation at 38.3 yards per punt. Last year Logan Cooke ranked 48th in the nation at 42.7 yards per punt. Shoop is fielding the #1 defense in the nation in terms of tds allowed despite having 5 yards less of field to work with each time we punt.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/punting/sort/grossAvgPuntYards/year/2017/count/41

Lord McBuckethead
11-09-2018, 02:33 PM
If anyone can run the ball against anyone, they are toast.

bulldawg28
11-09-2018, 03:26 PM
Shoop is the real deal. He was my hope for a DC the moment TN let him go.