PDA

View Full Version : Killin it in 2020 recruiting

preachermatt83
11-08-2018, 04:11 PM
Commitments from Tulu Griffin and E Jai Mason today!! Boom!

msstate7
11-08-2018, 04:21 PM
Really liking this. I'll see griffin tomorrow night

ShotgunDawg
11-08-2018, 04:24 PM
I get the feeling that recruits really like Moorhead & this staff stays after kids.

If they can match that with on field success, then it's got a chance to be special.

A good showing Saturday could go a long way in showing kids that Moorhead isn't just a nice guy but also a really good coach

MarketingBully
11-08-2018, 05:02 PM
Penn State is certainly missing him and a lot of current and former players gave Moorhead credit for their winning attitude and confidence in 2016 and 2017. In other words, fans way overreacted for calling for Moorhead’s head halfway through his first season. A couple of years down the road we are going to be looking back on that shit and see just how dumb as **** it was.

ShotgunDawg
11-08-2018, 05:04 PM
Penn State is certainly missing him and a lot of current and former players gave Moorhead credit for their winning attitude and confidence in 2016 and 2017. In other words, fans way overreacted for calling for Moorhead’s head halfway through his first season. A couple of years down the road we are going to be looking back on that shit and see just how dumb as **** it was.

Fans overreacted by calling for his head, but they weren't wrong in saying that we should be 7-1 or so right now. Fans should be mad because the losses to KY & FL are about 98% on Moorhead. To his credit though, I think we'd beat both if we played this weekend

Pit Bull
11-08-2018, 05:12 PM

Agree....we as Mississippi State are not in a position to think we can just change coaches as soon as we lose 2-3 in a row. If people continue to call for the coach's head every time things dont go the way they thought they should, we will end up NEVER being able to get good recruits, coaches, and fan support. Unless he falls flat on his face, I say give him 3-5 years to get his program in. I think we'll be fine.

Cooterpoot
11-08-2018, 05:21 PM
I'm still going to need to see 2 wins the next 3 games. Lose to either AR or OM and I'll still question him. I certainly wouldn't be able to call him an upgrade.

Todd4State
11-08-2018, 05:41 PM
I get the feeling that recruits really like Moorhead & this staff stays after kids.

If they can match that with on field success, then it's got a chance to be special.

A good showing Saturday could go a long way in showing kids that Moorhead isn't just a nice guy but also a really good coach

The recruiting aspect is one of the things that hurt Dan and us the most the past nine years. Interesting that we just got two really good WR commits just two weeks after our passing game picked up. If we can get about the same ratio of four stars on the offensive side of the ball as we have on the defensive side of the ball- THAT is when we will take the next step.

At this point I at least appreciate the fact that our staff keeps going after players rather than just throw their hands up in the air and move on if they commit to someone else and that they don't get frustrated if someone doesn't commit on the spot.

I_Spy
11-08-2018, 05:45 PM
Any team would miss Saquon, unless they were magical like Coach Vic in team building. Hopefully, we can just just get better these next few games.

Todd4State
11-08-2018, 05:45 PM

I think it will be better once he has his own players- not that our current players are bad. It's more about familiarity for both the players and the coaches and Joe having players in his system for 3-5 years. Once he gets Shrader and guys like Tulu and Mason on the team they'll be really good once they are upperclassmen.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-08-2018, 05:49 PM
Any team would miss Saquon, unless they were magical like Coach Vic in team building. Hopefully, we can just just get better these next few games.

Saquon replacement was a former 5* #1 RB Miles Sanders so it isn't talent.

msstate7
11-08-2018, 05:55 PM
Saquon replacement was a former 5* #1 RB Miles Sanders so it isn't talent.

You saying miles is as talented as Barkley? The guy that was the most talented player in the draft last year

RocketDawg
11-08-2018, 05:57 PM

I thought a lot were saying that "yankees" couldn't recruit in the south.

RocketDawg
11-08-2018, 06:01 PM
Agree....we as Mississippi State are not in a position to think we can just change coaches as soon as we lose 2-3 in a row. If people continue to call for the coach's head every time things dont go the way they thought they should, we will end up NEVER being able to get good recruits, coaches, and fan support. Unless he falls flat on his face, I say give him 3-5 years to get his program in. I think we'll be fine.

That's been going on ever since we've had message boards. I don't know if we're worse about it than other schools, but it was that way with Jackie, Croom, Mullen, and now Moorhead. It was even that way with Howland, and was certainly like that with Rick.

ShotgunDawg
11-08-2018, 06:02 PM
I thought a lot were saying that "yankees" couldn't recruit in the south.

I want to see how this recruiting year ends first. Finishing outside the top 20, with the amount of local talent, would raise some question marks IMO.

However, they appears to be on the cusp of ending well

MetEdDawg
11-08-2018, 06:08 PM
I think it will be better once he has his own players- not that our current players are bad. It's more about familiarity for both the players and the coaches and Joe having players in his system for 3-5 years. Once he gets Shrader and guys like Tulu and Mason on the team they'll be really good once they are upperclassmen.

I think some of us forget how pissed we were at Mullen for not adapting his offense to fit Tyler Russell. Had a lot of head scratching coaching going on. That was totally because of personnel. Had growing pains but Mullen did adapt a little. Moorhead has done the same.

You can see the growth 100% from all involved. We've gotten better for sure. It takes time and the right personnel to make it all gel.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-08-2018, 06:15 PM
You saying miles is as talented as Barkley? The guy that was the most talented player in the draft last year

I'm saying he's extremely talented.

Cooterpoot
11-08-2018, 07:14 PM
I think some of us forget how pissed we were at Mullen for not adapting his offense to fit Tyler Russell. Had a lot of head scratching coaching going on. That was totally because of personnel. Had growing pains but Mullen did adapt a little. Moorhead has done the same.

You can see the growth 100% from all involved. We've gotten better for sure. It takes time and the right personnel to make it all gel.

I don’t remember that. I remember Russell struggling and people calling for Dak. I’m still in wait and see mode because of who we’ve played. We’ve lost to every team with a decent defense. But I’m not as disappointed as I was.

MarketingBully
11-08-2018, 07:28 PM
I'm still going to need to see 2 wins the next 3 games. Lose to either AR or OM and I'll still question him. I certainly wouldn't be able to call him an upgrade.

I don’t think you will need to worry about Arkansas or Ole Miss. La Tech is better then both those teams. We will finish 8-4.

msbulldog
11-08-2018, 07:36 PM

Excellent post! +1

ZedFedder
11-08-2018, 08:06 PM
Selmon just committed. Another 2020 4 star

msstate7
11-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Selmon just committed. Another 2020 4 star

Wow... nice job, Moorhead and staff

MarketingBully
11-08-2018, 08:10 PM
Wow... nice job, Moorhead and staff

Two four star receivers and a four star corner. Add four star Malik Heath in 2020 (He’s a heavy MSU lean) and our offense could be dynamic in the future.

RocketDawg
11-08-2018, 08:42 PM
These guys are 2020, but don't we have an early signing period coming up in December for 2019?

Homedawg
11-08-2018, 09:08 PM
These guys are 2020, but don't we have an early signing period coming up in December for 2019?

So you want us to tell em, hey wait this is the wrong class? Damn man. Just enjoy it bro.

RocketDawg
11-08-2018, 09:11 PM
So you want us to tell em, hey wait this is the wrong class? Damn man. Just enjoy it bro.

Huh? No. Merely asking a question that popped in my mind about early signing. Got an answer?

Homedawg
11-08-2018, 10:08 PM
Huh? No. Merely asking a question that popped in my mind about early signing. Got an answer?
Yes dec 19. Sorry.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-08-2018, 10:11 PM

This is a 2020 thread. If you want to know about 2019 recruiting head over to the 2019 Recruiting Thread and hope to God they are actually talking about recruiting tonight.

state66
11-08-2018, 10:37 PM
Is selmon really 5’9 like his profile on 247 states?

I_Spy
11-08-2018, 11:26 PM
I’m not against Joe or are staff, I was just shocked by Kentucky and how we lost to Florida etc. nick Fitz always looks uncomfortable around Joe, in his pics, when Joe congratulated him on the Tamu score and Nick just turns around...that’s how I feel. I think it’s just the shock of the transition to new coaching. Not that losing Dan is hard to replace, he had been here long enough, it was just st the reality check.

I_Spy
11-08-2018, 11:31 PM
I don’t mean uncomfortable in a bad way, I mean as the leader of the offense early on, uncomfortable. But I hope Nick plays well this week bc he’s the biggest piece.

ShotgunDawg
11-08-2018, 11:42 PM
I don’t mean uncomfortable in a bad way, I mean as the leader of the offense early on, uncomfortable. But I hope Nick plays well this week bc he’s the biggest piece.

Joe is still a step dad in someways. Don't blame him for everything.

Todd4State
11-08-2018, 11:53 PM

This is true. Tyler would have killed it in an Air Raid or pro scheme.

Dawg61
11-09-2018, 02:11 AM

If you trust recruiting experts ISID isn't telling you Sanders is better literally every person paid to rate high school players is. Saquon was a 4* recruit. Sanders is a 5* recruit. This is just another reason in a long list for people to stop obsessing over recruiting rankings. I fall victim to it too. It's easy to do.

Homedawg
11-09-2018, 09:50 AM
Is selmon really 5’9 like his profile on 247 states?

Yes. He's small.

msstate7
11-09-2018, 08:19 PM
At philly game, tulu just took one to the house. He can fly