PDA

View Full Version : Some Thoughts On the Bama Game

ShotgunDawg
11-07-2018, 05:04 PM
Only a couple of days away from the game & after listening & reading this week, here are some thoughts on what I expect:

- I don't think we can score enough to win the game, but, if we are able to, I think we need to somehow score 28 points. I think 28 points is the magic number that gives us a punchers chance, & to score that many will likely require a defensive or special teams score. I'm not sure that we can execute 4 TD drives. I think we can steal one & hopefully manufacture 2 more.

- That being said, I do expect Moorhead to dial up the most aggressive offensive game plan we've seen in years vs Bama. Why? Because he ain't letting the LSU game happen again. Moorhead has said more than once how much he lost his identity as a play caller in the LSU game, &, since this is his next real chance to redeem that game plan (SEC road game vs a top 5 opponent), I expect to him run the opposite of it. That means that you shouldn't expect the ball control offense you saw vs Bama last year. We can't run out the clock this year.

- The key for our offense will be Fitz getting the ball out of his hand quickly & us picking up blitzes. If we can do both of those things, along with our normal running game, I think we can give Bama's defense some issues.

- Although I expect to our defense to be challenged beyond their limits, I am fascinated by what Bob Shoop can come up with defensively. While Bama obviously blew out LSU, I thought LSU's defense was the first defense this year to provide "resistance" to Bama's offense but Aranda had to design a game plan without video of anyone else having success against Bama's offense in anything. Due to LSU providing "some" resistance, Shoop has something to work with this week. He has the chance to watch film, see some things that had success & take them a step further with good personnel. I expect Bama to score 32-37 points. That means if we score 28, we'll be in the game, but fall just short. At least it gives you a chance though.

- I'll be interested to see how our secondary plays. Do you provide cushion & prevent big plays or do you crowd the Bama WRs, hit them off the line, & hope our top notch DL can get there? We are going to need some big sacks that create long down & distance to get Bama's offense off field.

- Lastly, it seems like every time we play at LSU or Bama we make a catastrophic error in the first 5 minutes that puts us in a hole. Can we avoid that? Can we come out hot & put the pressure on them?

dantheman4248
11-07-2018, 05:07 PM
Lotta good points. Hopefully Moorhead understands the importance of this game, as it’s the difference between mid-tier and NY6. Since 2009, the winner of this game has gone on to win the National Title 5 times.

ShotgunDawg
11-07-2018, 05:09 PM
Lotta good points. Hopefully Moorhead understands the importance of this game, as it’s the difference between mid-tier and NY6. Since 2009, the winner of this game has gone on to win the National Title 5 times.

I think Moorhead gets it.

There is no way that a guy from the Northeast that just became an SEC Head Coach doesn't have this game circled in year 1. It's his chance to make a name for himself &, since he's never coached against Bama, he may have no fear of them, which might be a good thing.

TrapGame
11-07-2018, 05:11 PM
There's a chance we catch them sleeping in the first half. They have the SECW locked up so I don't think they will be super sharp on either side of the ball. If we come in hot with a chip on our shoulder and make a game of it Saban will have to light up some ass at halftime. Then after the half they'll come back on the field and stomp a mud hole in our ass.

msstate7
11-07-2018, 05:14 PM
Since 2009, the winner of this game has gone on to win the National Title 5 times.

This is a weird statement. It's true, but bama has won this game every time during your time frame. This game has no correlation with winning the natty

TUSK
11-07-2018, 05:17 PM
This is a weird statement. It's true, but bama has won this game every time during your time frame. This game has no correlation with winning the natty

I think he left off the ****, 7....

msudawglb
11-07-2018, 05:18 PM

I think you missed the joke.

Cooterpoot
11-07-2018, 05:18 PM
If we throw the ball over 30 times, the game is over. You can go look at the stats vs AL since Saban has been there and it dictates that. And throwing the ball vs LSU is what got us killed. Not ball control.

msstate7
11-07-2018, 05:19 PM
I think you missed the joke.

Probably so... dan is a smart guy

NCDawg
11-07-2018, 05:24 PM
I'm afraid if they kick-off to us and we go 3 downs and punt from our own 20 or 30, they will probably get the ball somewhere around the 50 yard line due to our inept punting. Probably won't take them long to score.

TUSK
11-07-2018, 05:31 PM
I'm afraid if they kick-off to us and we go 3 downs and punt from our own 20 or 30, they will probably get the ball somewhere around the 50 yard line due to our inept punting. Probably won't take them long to score.

Not to be flippant, but punting might be the biggest advantage y'all have over Bammer.... no shit...

oh, and PAT kicking, too.

dantheman4248
11-07-2018, 05:51 PM
I think he left off the ****, 7....

Technically correct is the best kind of correct.

RocketDawg
11-07-2018, 06:00 PM

Unfortunately, every one of those winners has been Alabama.

msstate7
11-07-2018, 06:18 PM
If we somehow did win this game, Moorhead would be an instant rock star. We would roll into a NY6 bowl. Not that I think there's even a chance, but fun to dream

LC Dawg
11-07-2018, 07:22 PM
If we throw the ball over 30 times, the game is over. You can go look at the stats vs AL since Saban has been there and it dictates that. And throwing the ball vs LSU is what got us killed. Not ball control.

Are you saying Mississippi State's stats vs AL with Saban or everyone's? The only way anyone has beaten them lately is by throwing over 30 passes. Out of their last five losses the least amount of passes thrown was 29 by Auburn last year.

klong-dog
11-07-2018, 07:46 PM
Not to be flippant, but punting might be the biggest advantage y'all have over Bammer.... no shit...

oh, and PAT kicking, too.

Uh no way your punter is worse than ours.

TUSK
11-07-2018, 07:52 PM
Uh no way your punter is worse than ours.

Bet.

We fired our punter and had tryouts... he's a "preferred walk-on"....

It's sad, bro.

BuckyIsAB****
11-07-2018, 08:34 PM
I know I started a thread earlier in the week saying we had a hell of a chance, and if all things were equal we would, but the more I think about it the less I believe the SEC will let us win this one.

It does this league no good for us to win this game

DAWGS1
11-07-2018, 08:39 PM
We cannot come out and go 3 and out. Ballgame if so. Need to score first or at least make uat punt 2-3 times to start the game to have a shot.
Still think the score ends up like 16-38 due to gifting them 14 points

TUSK
11-07-2018, 08:44 PM
I know I started a thread earlier in the week saying we had a hell of a chance, and if all things were equal we would, but the more I think about it the less I believe the SEC will let us win this one.

It does this league no good for us to win this game

REC gonna do werk.*

justwin
11-07-2018, 09:41 PM
defensively, we need to eliminate Jeudy. Do that & make the rest of them beat you. Jeudy is their best player. Eliminate him and the rest of the Bama O scores ~24 points to keep you in it.

We need to hit Tua, see how he responds. When we blitz, we cannot peel or delay last second once you come into the final blocker (the RB). try to go through that last blocker and get your hands on Tua.

If the refs only call 3 holding penalties on them, that may be enough. Make no mistake, the AL OL will hold Simmons & Sweat no less than 20 times. Most will be obvious.

When the alabama player(s) through a punch, they should be disqualified. When the alabama player runs out of bounds and back in, it should be reviewed, ruled incomplete. The ref should not pick up the flag due to Saban yelling at them.

Offensively, Fitz is his own worst enemy. If he would just hand the ball off to Kylin/Aeris on the speed sweep at least 5 times instead of zero, we get chunk yards and he takes less punishment, tires their heavy LBs. that is how Hugh Freeze beat them is he ran speed sweep after speed sweep 1H to tire the heavy LBs they use. Every game, we miss out on huge runs to the edges by Fitz refusing to give it up. Kylin is so frustrated. It would be nice to see Kylin get 20 carries, he deserves it. Fitz running will not beat Bama. Sure, Fitz may get some here or there, but that's fools gold. Dak had the same problem 1st half in 2014 in not getting the RB to the edges. Then, in 2H in 2014, J-Rob got so much traction on the edges. I'll take our RBs on the edges vs Bama DBs/tired big LBs every day, every year.

Offensively, Fitz is his own worst enemy. Last week he was 17/28 with 6 uncatchable balls either out of bounds or a line drive deep without loft. This is a 5th year senior. I can guarantee that at least 1 or 2 of those 6 would be caught. He's getting a little better, but just keep it in bounds & study the dam film last two weeks and trust your WRs to catch it. Our WRs are taller and can out jump their DB if it's lofted to them so they can box out and jump.

We have the talent to compete and maybe win. It really boils down to Fitz & the refs though. Plan on the refs making 5 calls/no calls/free review for Bama/ no free review for MSU which we will have to overcome. Will Fitz give the ball to Kylin? Will Fitz give his WRs a chance on passes of 20+ yards with loft & in bounds?

Leo Lewis is overdue. #1 LB recruit in the country...go make some impact plays and quit finding ways to whif and miss the sack, get penalized.

Gotta keep playing Whop, get him involved.

Abrams needs to catch at least one of the three balls he gets his hands on.

TUSK
11-07-2018, 09:49 PM
defensively, we need to eliminate Jeudy. Do that & make the rest of them beat you. Jeudy is their best player. Eliminate him and the rest of the Bama O scores ~24 points to keep you in it.

We need to hit Tua, see how he responds. When we blitz, we cannot peel or delay last second once you come into the final blocker (the RB). try to go through that last blocker and get your hands on Tua.

If the refs only call 3 holding penalties on them, that may be enough. Make no mistake, the AL OL will hold Simmons & Sweat no less than 20 times. Most will be obvious.

When the alabama player(s) through a punch, they should be disqualified. When the alabama player runs out of bounds and back in, it should be reviewed, ruled incomplete. The ref should not pick up the flag due to Saban yelling at them.

Offensively, Fitz is his own worst enemy. If he would just hand the ball off to Kylin/Aeris on the speed sweep at least 5 times instead of zero, we get chunk yards and he takes less punishment, tires their heavy LBs. that is how Hugh Freeze beat them is he ran speed sweep after speed sweep 1H to tire the heavy LBs they use. Every game, we miss out on huge runs to the edges by Fitz refusing to give it up. Kylin is so frustrated. It would be nice to see Kylin get 20 carries, he deserves it. Fitz running will not beat Bama. Sure, Fitz may get some here or there, but that's fools gold. Dak had the same problem 1st half in 2014 in not getting the RB to the edges. Then, in 2H in 2014, J-Rob got so much traction on the edges. I'll take our RBs on the edges vs Bama DBs/tired big LBs every day, every year.

Offensively, Fitz is his own worst enemy. Last week he was 17/28 with 6 uncatchable balls either out of bounds or a line drive deep without loft. This is a 5th year senior. I can guarantee that at least 1 or 2 of those 6 would be caught. He's getting a little better, but just keep it in bounds & study the dam film last two weeks and trust your WRs to catch it. Our WRs are taller and can out jump their DB if it's lofted to them so they can box out and jump.

We have the talent to compete and maybe win. It really boils down to Fitz & the refs though. Plan on the refs making 5 calls/no calls/free review for Bama/ no free review for MSU which we will have to overcome. Will Fitz give the ball to Kylin? Will Fitz give his WRs a chance on passes of 20+ yards with loft & in bounds?

Leo Lewis is overdue. #1 LB recruit in the country...go make some impact plays and quit finding ways to whif and miss the sack, get penalized.

wow.

Cowbell
11-07-2018, 09:58 PM

Well then there is hope because Joe loves him some analytics.

NCDawg
11-07-2018, 10:02 PM

Very good analysis. I never did understand why Mullen didn't question the referees about Ridley going out of bounds last year and coming back in on that long pass completion. You could see on the replay that Peters didn't force him out of bounds. That was a turning point in the game. I think you were spot on about Lewis, also.

defiantdog
11-09-2018, 08:34 AM
Let's be honest, we'll be lucky to get 6 points on the board.

msstate7
11-09-2018, 08:35 AM
Let's be honest, we'll be lucky to get 6 points on the board.

I think we ball out and score 10... they get 35

defiantdog
11-09-2018, 08:39 AM
I think we ball out and score 10... they get 35

I honestly don't think we'll score a touchdown. Maybe 3 field goals. I'm prepared for a 48 - 9 beatdown.

msstate7
11-09-2018, 08:41 AM
I honestly don't think we'll score a touchdown. Maybe 3 field goals. I'm prepared for a 48 - 9 beatdown.

Don't stop believing...

We score 1 td

Gutter Cobreh
11-09-2018, 09:00 AM

wow.

Tusk - evidently Justwin is another one of your satisfied customers. There is literally no other explanation for that incoherent rambling....

TUSK
11-09-2018, 12:38 PM
Tusk - evidently Justwin is another one of your satisfied customers. There is literally no other explanation for that incoherent rambling....

I think something went awry during the process of assimilation...

StarkVegasSteve
11-09-2018, 02:01 PM
If you look at our road woes the last couple of years it all begins with terrible 1st drives:

17 UGA- 3 and out and they hit a flea flicker on the first play
17 Auburn- Kerryon Johnson gets a big run and they score, then we go 3 and out
17 A&M- 1st possession INT and we're lucky they miss two TDs or we're down early. Settled in and dominated
17 Arky- Fumble the punt after holding them to a 3 and out and they converted into a TD. If they weren't awful I doubt we claw our way back and win that one
18 Kentucky- We hold them and force a punt and we get an unsportsmanlike on our first play and end up 3 and out.
18 LSU- INT on the first possession

I don't know what it is about our team and road games, but it seems like the last complete road game we've played was the 16 Egg Bowl. You could make an argument for last year against A&M after the first drive, but no clue how we'd have looked had they gone up 7-0 early. We need to somehow find a drive like the first one in Death Valley in 14.

drunkernhelldawg
11-09-2018, 02:35 PM
They're going to make a few big plays in the passing game. Hopefully, we can steal a few too. Speaking of that, I'm for an emphasis on limiting yards after catch. I don't see us preventing 25-30 receptions, but maybe we can minimize the damage.

Dawgowar
11-09-2018, 05:13 PM
1. We need to score more points than them.
2. Keep them from scoring more points than us.
3. Tell our punter early and often - "Look, all you have to do for a free education - and let me tell you, your NFL dream right now is on life support - is punt the damn football and not get arrested. Every f'ing time I see a ball shanked or a dying quail punt go no more than 35 yards, I am running an up the gut punter sneak the next fourth down. That would be you running the sneak.....at those large people in red shirts. You with your 165 pound frame and dork face mask. Go ask number 7 and 8 how much fun that is. Every time I see a shank....every damn time noodle leg. "
4. Finally, if the blitz is working, if the run game is working, if...and I hold my breath.....the passing game comes to life.....do like a good grunt does when his crew served machine gun starts cooking off rounds when facing the enemy- - - scream 'F! Yeah!' Stand up charge the mofo's and RIDE THE LIGHTENING!
5. Really though, we are probably gonna get the win if we just score more points.

Jack Lambert
11-09-2018, 05:23 PM
Maybe we can get this guy to help us out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C8y5z_7YtA

Token Bammer
11-09-2018, 11:38 PM
REC gonna do werk.*

Win no matter the co$t.

Sienfield
11-10-2018, 08:35 AM
Bet.

We fired our punter and had tryouts... he's a "preferred walk-on"....

It's sad, bro.

It must be a bitch to be the punter on your practice squad is all I got.

justwin
11-12-2018, 09:06 AM
[QUOTE=justwin;1021289]defensively, we need to eliminate Jeudy. Do that & make the rest of them beat you. Jeudy is their best player. Eliminate him and the rest of the Bama O scores ~24 points to keep you in it.

Abrams needs to catch at least one of the three balls he gets his hands on.[/QUOTE

I couldn't been more right....on every point.

Jeudy was eliminated and they scored 24

Made Tua's ass quit. Made his ASS quit. Then, his coach & consensus 5* OL cried after, attempting to change the narrative. Tua was hit clean all game & good thing he slid on his 1st play or he would've gotten broken in half.

Zero penalties on Bama. zero. it's a rigged system

blatant & intentional bias by the refs, again

Go look @ our very first offensive play. Epitome of Fitz and his inability to make the easiest of reads. Instead of immediately pitching to Kylin to get the the edge after reading the DE, he goes forward & gets hammered for a half yard. sigh. Kylin is so frustrated.

flea flicker that was worked on all week in practice and wide ass open, no throw by Fitz. sigh

we have the talent as proven on the field. Refs were 5+ on blatant calls/no calls no in our favor.

time to turn the page on Leo. Willie has officially taken it from him.

justwin
11-12-2018, 09:07 AM
wow, you are spot on.

FIFY

justwin
11-12-2018, 09:07 AM

bad look for you if you can't comprehend my straightforward points on the game. just a bad look for you

justwin
11-12-2018, 09:08 AM
Very good analysis. I never did understand why Mullen didn't question the referees about Ridley going out of bounds last year and coming back in on that long pass completion. You could see on the replay that Peters didn't force him out of bounds. That was a turning point in the game. I think you were spot on about Lewis, also.

yep, more of the same on Saturday, but ramped up by the refs a tick this year due to our D making Tua's ass quit

Tbonewannabe
11-12-2018, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=justwin;1021289]defensively, we need to eliminate Jeudy. Do that & make the rest of them beat you. Jeudy is their best player. Eliminate him and the rest of the Bama O scores ~24 points to keep you in it.

Abrams needs to catch at least one of the three balls he gets his hands on.[/QUOTE

I couldn't been more right....on every point.

Jeudy was eliminated and they scored 24

Made Tua's ass quit. Made his ASS quit. Then, his coach & consensus 5* OL cried after, attempting to change the narrative. Tua was hit clean all game & good thing he slid on his 1st play or he would've gotten broken in half.

Zero penalties on Bama. zero. it's a rigged system

blatant & intentional bias by the refs, again

Go look @ our very first offensive play. Epitome of Fitz and his inability to make the easiest of reads. Instead of immediately pitching to Kylin to get the the edge after reading the DE, he goes forward & gets hammered for a half yard. sigh. Kylin is so frustrated.

flea flicker that was worked on all week in practice and wide ass open, no throw by Fitz. sigh

we have the talent as proven on the field. Refs were 5+ on blatant calls/no calls no in our favor.

time to turn the page on Leo. Willie has officially taken it from him.

I pretty much agree on all of these points. I am interested to see if we get a QB that can run Joe's system if we have a better shot at Bama.

Gutter Cobreh
11-12-2018, 10:06 AM
bad look for you if you can't comprehend my straightforward points on the game. just a bad look for you

I give credit where it's due, and your points were spot on. Your delivery of those points in your initial post was a bit choppy, but solid content in hindsight.

Rep. given!