PDA

View Full Version : Simmons vs Jones

Matt3467
11-05-2018, 12:35 PM
We've had so much defensive talent come through the school in recent years with the bulk of it being on the defensive line (Love, Blade, Davis, Wyms, Fields, Mcphee, Boyd, Eulls, Smith, I believe Quay Evans could've been great as well.....) and this year might be the best defensive line in our schools history. I was curious what everyone's take is on Chris Jones vs Jeffrey Simmons from a raw talent standpoint. Since Jones was the last one to find success in the NFL I felt the comparison was adequate. I don't believe Jones had the benefit of having a top 15 pick on the other side of him though as Simmons does in Sweat, but Jones was considered arguably the top recruit coming out of high school in his class. Jones was inconsistent at times which hurts him in the comparison which is why I'm asking based on raw talent alone. What do you guy's think?

*edit: forgot to add Cox in that list of greats!

dawgday166
11-05-2018, 12:37 PM
Simmons may be the best Dlineman I've ever seen at MSU, except maybe Fletcher.

Sacrifice
11-05-2018, 12:58 PM
In my opinion Simmons is the most dominate DT I've seen play at State. He reminds me so much of a young Ndamukong Sue. Yeah I had to google how to spell that name.

msu15
11-05-2018, 01:03 PM
I'd add Willie Evans to that list

dantheman4248
11-05-2018, 01:12 PM
In my opinion Simmons is the most dominate DT I've seen play at State. He reminds me so much of a young Ndamukong Sue. Yeah I had to google how to spell that name.

When you spell his first name right and misspell his last name.

Saltydog
11-05-2018, 01:23 PM
is Suh.........

hacker
11-05-2018, 01:24 PM

Still got it wrong.

Tbonewannabe
11-05-2018, 01:33 PM
Anyone remember that Suh actually visited State and we were in his top 3 I think? Seems like his sister ran track at State so he gave us a visit.

Matt3467
11-05-2018, 01:46 PM
Anyone remember that Suh actually visited State and we were in his top 3 I think? Seems like his sister ran track at State so he gave us a visit.

I had no clue about that.

Tbonewannabe
11-05-2018, 01:49 PM
I had no clue about that.

I wonder how Croom's teams would have been different if he landed that one recruit. His offense would have still sucked though.

BrunswickDawg
11-05-2018, 02:29 PM
I wonder how Croom's teams would have been different if he landed that one recruit. His offense would have still sucked though.

Suh blew up his JR year - 2008. Our luck, he would have been the difference in 4-8 and 6-6, and we would have been stuck with Croom for who knows how long.

Bully13
11-05-2018, 02:31 PM
Suh visited when we got beat by some low tier team. that prolly didn't help much. UAB, Troy or somebody like that. Croom.

NWADAWG
11-05-2018, 03:15 PM
There's a song about a boy named Sue.

And, I dare you to call him that (Sue)*

Liverpooldawg
11-05-2018, 03:50 PM
The best defensive player I've ever seen at MSU was Johnnie Cooks. Tyrone Keyes and Glenn Collins were pretty good defensive linemen back then too. Cooks and Collins went in the 1st round. Cooks was the #2 pick overall.

bulldawg28
11-05-2018, 03:56 PM
Jones is better imo. It's soooooo easy for Jones it's scary what he could have been if he would have focused on being a DT and not a DE. There was never a game that Jones didn't impact. Simmons disappeared in the Georgia game last year as well Kentucky this year other than trying to fight.

Sacrifice
11-05-2018, 03:57 PM
When you spell his first name right and misspell his last name.

😂😂😂 damn I blew that! So focused on the first name, F-ed up the last!

msu15
11-05-2018, 04:02 PM
Suh blew up his JR year - 2008. Our luck, he would have been the difference in 4-8 and 6-6, and we would have been stuck with Croom for who knows how long.

Thank God for Adam Carlson

somebodyshotmypaw
11-05-2018, 05:04 PM
Yes we were on Suh's short list. I think his sister was on the soccer team.

We also signed wideout Keyshawn Johnson under Jackie Sherrill. Obviously he wound up at USC instead.

We were also high on the list of wideout Richard Sherman. Sherman went to Stanford, then converted to defensive back. Obviously made it big with the Seattle Seahawks.

Ari Gold
11-05-2018, 09:25 PM
Simmons > Jones and Cox ...
And will be shocked if doesn’t end up better than them both on the NFL level too

Political Hack
11-05-2018, 10:03 PM
Jones was way more raw than Simmons was coming out of high school. Kid had barely played. To compare them right now there's no doubt Jones is better (just as a top NFL DT should be over an SEC Soph), but Simmons is WAY ahead of where Jones was at this point in his career. Its not even close.

preachermatt83
11-05-2018, 10:24 PM
Simmons is the FAAARRRR superior college player. I suspect Chris and fletcher will have better nfl careers though.

Homedawg
11-05-2018, 11:19 PM
Simmons is the FAAARRRR superior college player. I suspect Chris and fletcher will have better nfl careers though.

Far superior to jones yes by a mile. Now I won't go that far w Cox. He was legit for his last year and a half.
Jones didn't play up to his talent level. He took way too many plays off Of course he spent his first year and half bitching that he was a de, which at 310 lb is a joke.

Ari Gold
11-06-2018, 08:02 AM

Disagree.

He will destroy the combine
And will be a multiple All pro.
I think Simmons will be an even better pro than Cox. Who is a legit household name on the DL..

Ari Gold
11-06-2018, 08:04 AM
Far superior to jones yes by a mile. Now I won't go that far w Cox. He was legit for his last year and a half.
Jones didn't play up to his talent level. He took way too many plays off Of course he spent his first year and half bitching that he was a de, which at 310 lb is a joke.

Agree.
Too bad Coach Baker wasn’t here with CJ from beginning to end . My guess things would have been much different for him.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-06-2018, 08:38 AM
Simmons = Most consistently dominant

Fletcher = Most dominant season

Chris = Highest ceiling

bulldawg28
11-06-2018, 12:52 PM
Simmons = Most consistently dominant

Fletcher = Most dominant season

Chris = Highest ceiling

Agreed

jackindabox
11-06-2018, 01:04 PM
Or as Nick Saban called them in his preview for the msstate game. Jeffrey Swimmons and Montreal Sweat are great players. I hope we upset them somehow then maybe he will learn the names.

MoreCowbell
11-06-2018, 03:28 PM
IMO there is a good chance that in 2021, Miss State will have 5 NFL all pro defensive players in the league. Slay, McKinney, Cox, Jones and Simmons. Simmons is the best college DT I have seen in a while, his motor is unbelievable. He is Robert Nkemdiche with excellent work ethic.

MoreCowbell
11-06-2018, 03:32 PM
This still kills me- if Raekwon Davis had stayed committed, we would have had probably the best DL in history of college football.

Ari Gold
11-06-2018, 05:30 PM
IMO there is a good chance that in 2021, Miss State will have 5 NFL all pro defensive players in the league. Slay, McKinney, Cox, Jones and Simmons. Simmons is the best college DT I have seen in a while, his motor is unbelievable. He is Robert Nkemdiche with excellent work ethic.

Nkemdiche was the most over rated player ever.. EVER!

Tbonewannabe
11-07-2018, 09:57 AM
Nkemdiche was the most over rated player ever.. EVER!

It will be interesting to see how the first round picks end up. Tunsil is the only one that is even close to producing what you would expect from a first round pick. Of course Jordan Thomas has more TDs than Paidwell now with a couple less years played. Paidwell will be out of the league within a couple of years. Kimdeechee is at least starting, I don't know how well he is doing but he is at least average possibly.