PDA

View Full Version : MSU In the Rankings

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2018, 12:15 PM
Thought we could just condense everything in one thread:

ESPN FPI has MSU at #10 this morning. http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

Bill Connolly's S&P has MSU at #11 https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/11/4/18061426/ncaa-football-rankings-2018-week-11

I always find it interesting how the coaches & AP polls differ so much from the formula based rankings. The AP & Coaches polls allow the win/loss records of mid-major teams & downtrodden blue bloods, influence their rankings.

Total offense - MSU is #56
Total defense - #6
Rushing defense - #18
Passing defense - #7

99jc
11-04-2018, 12:56 PM
You missed the most important stat. #1 in tds allowed. And basically tied for #1 with Clemson, ky, and UAb for total points allowed. We have given up 15 field goals.

MetEdDawg
11-04-2018, 01:03 PM
#15 in the coaches poll. Syracuse and BC passed us. I'm not shocked. That 3rd loss and the losses by the teams that beat us did us no favors yesterday.

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2018, 01:06 PM
#15 in the coaches poll. Syracuse and BC passed us. I'm not shocked. That 3rd loss and the losses by the teams that beat us did us no favors yesterday.

No shocked by the incompetence of the media at all. We'd go in dry on both those teams, but I guess win/loss record is all that matters to idiots

Jack Lambert
11-04-2018, 01:10 PM
The real poll comes out Tuesday and I suspect not 14th or better.

MetEdDawg
11-04-2018, 01:15 PM
No shocked by the incompetence of the media at all. We'd go in dry on both those teams, but I guess win/loss record is all that matters to idiots

Coaches see that 3rd loss and just put a couple 2 loss teams ahead of us. It is unfortunate because you are right. We would beat the brakes off those 2 teams.

Cooterpoot
11-04-2018, 01:17 PM

Propping up Clemson?s schedule in a terrible ACC. Clemson will smoke BC this week like Bama does us.

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2018, 01:25 PM
Coaches see that 3rd loss and just put a couple 2 loss teams ahead of us. It is unfortunate because you are right. We would beat the brakes off those 2 teams.

BC is 30th in FPI & Syracuse is 40th

Commercecomet24
11-04-2018, 01:27 PM
31 of the 111 points we have given up came off turnovers so our defense has been even better than the stats. They've been unreal!

Quaoarsking
11-04-2018, 02:19 PM
18th in the AP Poll.

Utah State is 14th. Fresno State is 16th. Come on, voters.

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2018, 02:33 PM
18th in the AP Poll.

It's amazing these media guys graduated high school

parabrave
11-04-2018, 02:45 PM
The real poll comes out Tuesday and I suspect not 14th or better.

This all day. The AP and other polls are outdated and probably won't be around much longer.

AROB44
11-04-2018, 03:00 PM
We always go up in the polls the week before we play Bama. Guess it's the power of the Bama voters...

West Tn Dawg
11-04-2018, 03:09 PM
I'm expecting 13 come Tuesday.

Commercecomet24
11-04-2018, 03:12 PM
18th in the AP Poll.

That's laughable geez

Dawgfan77
11-04-2018, 06:10 PM

I am as well. It?s really the only poll that matters. Fact remains we have 3 losses and are 25 point dogs this weekend

LC Dawg
11-04-2018, 06:52 PM

John Bond's number. That's a good omen.

Todd4State
11-04-2018, 08:30 PM
I just hope that losing to Alabama doesn't kill us in the BCS poll. It may not. I'm just used to baseball RPI where weird things happen from game to game.

parabrave
11-04-2018, 08:36 PM
Look if we go 8-4 we still go to Nashville or the equivalent. LSU gonna go Citrus and KY gonna get outback. Heck Dans going back to Jacksonville to get Spurrier to say you can't spell Gator without a Mullen in it.

TUSK
11-04-2018, 08:40 PM
I just hope that losing to Alabama doesn't kill us in the BCS poll. It may not. I'm just used to baseball RPI where weird things happen from game to game.

A close loss won't hurt much, if at all, IMO... A 4th loss, however, may be hard for some to overlook...

Todd4State
11-04-2018, 08:44 PM
A close loss won't hurt much, if at all, IMO... A 4th loss, however, may be hard for some to overlook...

It will be hard to find a team with four more quality losses than us.

Todd4State
11-04-2018, 08:45 PM
Look if we go 8-4 we still go to Nashville or the equivalent. LSU gonna go Citrus and KY gonna get outback. Heck Dans going back to Jacksonville to get Spurrier to say you can't spell Gator without a Mullen in it.

Not if both win out.

I think the only way we go to the Music City Bowl or equivalent is to win seven games or less.

TUSK
11-04-2018, 08:46 PM
It will be hard to find a team with four more quality losses than us.

No, it'll be impossible.

There will be a good many 2 & 3 loss teams with shitty losses that will get the benefit of the doubt, though.

parabrave
11-04-2018, 09:57 PM
LSU has Arky, TAM and Rice left. They are going to win out to finish with 2 losses. Kentucky has TENN, Middle Tenn and Louisville left they should win out to finish with 2 losses. LSU might go to a NY6 bowl but that depends how UGA finishes. Mullen should end up with 3 losses. This is probably the Florida games setup and if LSU goes to a NY6 we would go to the GATA Bowl

confucius say
11-04-2018, 10:21 PM
I think Lsu loses at Aggie and I think Ky loses at TN.

Let's just win out and get a NY6!!

the_real_MSU_is_us
11-04-2018, 10:29 PM
Utah State, Fresno State, BC, etc get high in the AP poll not because anyone actually thinks they're good, but because the AP voters feel forced to go by W-L. IF they look at a 1 loss bad G5 team and say "nah, I'm not putting you top 20" they'll get accused of bias, and all the G5 fans will scream that the system is rigged for the P5. Then if that G5 team does turn out to be legit, that voter gets roasted again. OR, he an take the easy way out and drop the G5 team when they get the bad loss we all knew was coming. It's about optics

msstate7
11-04-2018, 11:22 PM
Let's say the plsyofff poll has us 12th and we lose to bama by 25 points, where do we fall? We won't be able to rise much beating om and ark

TUSK
11-04-2018, 11:33 PM
Let's say the plsyofff poll has us 12th and we lose to bama by 25 points, where do we fall? We won't be able to rise much beating om and ark

If y'all keep it under 4 scores, on the road.... 5-6 spots, IMO... LSU dropped from 3rd to 9th....

(not that past results are indicative of future gains)

Johnson85
11-05-2018, 09:23 AM

If they watched our losses, I can't blame them. We just looked like garbage. I'm still skeptical that we can move the ball against a good defense and I don't think we'll get a chance to find out the rest of this year unless it's in a bowl game.

Johnson85
11-05-2018, 09:32 AM
Not if both win out.

I think the only way we go to the Music City Bowl or equivalent is to win seven games or less.

We are almost guaranteed to go to the Music City Bowl or equivalent if we don't win 9 games.

Bama, UGA, LSU, UK, and Florida all have better resumes than us, and they're not all going to make a NY6 Bowl. Even if Bama, UGA, LSU, and UK make a NY6 bowl (which i think would tie the record or maybe set the record for most teams from one conference in NY6 bowls), Florida is going to finish with 8 or 9 wins and have a win over us in Starkville. I don't think there's any way the Citrus is going to pass over Florida for us when they have a win in Starkville and the same or better record. So we are going to be in a Pool of 6 bowl unless we win out. I suspect the Liberty is really going to push for us.

parabrave
11-05-2018, 10:01 AM
We are almost guaranteed to go to the Music City Bowl or equivalent if we don't win 9 games.

Bama, UGA, LSU, UK, and Florida all have better resumes than us, and they're not all going to make a NY6 Bowl. Even if Bama, UGA, LSU, and UK make a NY6 bowl (which i think would tie the record or maybe set the record for most teams from one conference in NY6 bowls), Florida is going to finish with 8 or 9 wins and have a win over us in Starkville. I don't think there's any way the Citrus is going to pass over Florida for us when they have a win in Starkville and the same or better record. So we are going to be in a Pool of 6 bowl unless we win out. I suspect the Liberty is really going to push for us.

Don't forget about Aubbie. If they somehow knock off UGA and lose to Bama that leaves them with 4 losses also. That moves UGA probably out of a NY6 and us further down the line.

LC Dawg
11-05-2018, 11:15 AM
If they watched our losses, I can't blame them. We just looked like garbage. I'm still skeptical that we can move the ball against a good defense and I don't think we'll get a chance to find out the rest of this year unless it's in a bowl game.

The CFP committee watches the games and they had us ranked higher than AP or the coaches.

msstate7
11-05-2018, 11:17 AM
The CFP committee watches the games and they had us ranked higher than AP or the coaches.

Be interesting to see if that continues after all 3 of our losses lost this week... 3 blow outs too and all at home

Johnson85
11-05-2018, 11:36 AM
Don't forget about Aubbie. If they somehow knock off UGA and lose to Bama that leaves them with 4 losses also. That moves UGA probably out of a NY6 and us further down the line.

It moves us further down, but we're not dropping out of the Pool of 6. It will just change some of the jockeying by the bowls in the pool of 6.

LC Dawg
11-05-2018, 12:57 PM
Be interesting to see if that continues after all 3 of our losses lost this week... 3 blow outs too and all at home

I'm curious to see that too. La Tech is not a bad team so I think that helps us.

sleepy dawg
11-05-2018, 01:03 PM
I'm curious to see that too. La Tech is not a bad team so I think that helps us.

If we're using Sagarin to say we're good, then Sagarin has them at 94, so they are bad.

LC Dawg
11-05-2018, 01:35 PM
If we're using Sagarin to say we're good, then Sagarin has them at 94, so they are bad.

If we're using Sagarin then we're #11 so I'm good with that.

MedDawg
11-05-2018, 01:42 PM
#12 in the computer composite ranking of nearly every computer poll with a high of #6 and a low of #35 https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Dawgology
11-05-2018, 01:48 PM
Basically if we would have managed to win just one of LSU, FL, or KY we would be sitting pretty even with a loss to Bama. I agree...4 losses is hard to overlook. IF we manage to get ranked 15 or higher this week I think we fall to proabably 24/25 with a loss to Bama. Maybe a chance to move up to 21/22 in the last two weeks with wins over ARK and UM and some losses in teams ranked ahead of us. With a bowl win to finish the season I think we would move into the top 20 as our final ranking. This needs to happen.

Now...if we were to do the unthinkable and grab a win against Bama I think we shoot into the top 10 real fast. Then we just have to close out the season with a real shot at 9 wins and a NY6 bowl.