PDA

View Full Version : 9 Straight Bowl Games.... & Some Thoughts

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2018, 10:56 PM
Good win tonight. Here are some pompous asshole thoughts.....

- 9 straight bowl games. Don't take it for granted. It's tied for the 11th longest bowl streak in the nation. Don't take it for granted. I realize that this year will never be everything that everyone dreamed of, but from 30,000 feet, the program is still growing. This bowl streak is so important because it's changing the history of Mississippi State football. If we continue to consistently be competitive for years to come, we will eventually have a fan base full of people that weren't alive in the 80s or the Croom era. They will only know winning football. If this bowl streak had started in 1981, where would we be now? That's how important this is. In any given year, it's not terribly difficult to win 6 games, but over the course of a decade, it's difficult to never be bad, bottom out, or go on probation.

- The JoMo offense is starting to click. It's fairly clear to my eyes that the players now appear to know what they are doing & are doing it faster & with more confidence than in earlier games. I know, I know, I know, we should've beaten Florida & KY, but we had a first year coach, a new offense, & our QB missed much of Spring practice. It is what it is. Build a bridge.

- Tucker Day was significantly better tonight. I still think he has another level though. His plant foot was actually leaving the ground tonight during his follow through, which is a more athletic movement that produces more momentum through the ball. However, he has another level because he can clearly explode though the ball a little more.

- I think Stephen Guidry is close to becoming a #1 WR for us. As you can see, he's starting to make big plays. He still disappears at times, but teams maybe starting to shade coverage his way, which is why other guys are wide open. If we have a QB step up, I think Guidry can have a huge 2019.

- Incredible the jump that our DBs have made in ball skills. It seemed like an MSU tradition that the DBs never turned their heads only for the ball to go right by their head & into the WRs arms. I'm not really sure what the difference is, but, other than talent maybe, I want to believe that Bob Shoops' history as a DB coach has added a little extra to that position unit. They'll find out what they are made of next week.

- Overall, I think it's worth noting that JoMo's offense has appeared mostly better than Mullen's against non-conference competition. I think Mullen is a master of covering up deficiencies, but average to below average at raising the ceiling. Seems like against teams that we have talent advantages against, Moorhead's offense is way more explosive.

- At Bama, I just want to see a coach call plays with his balls hanging out & coaches with aggression. We'll get blown out but let's go in there & have fun & be aggressive. None of this going into a shell & playing not to lose crap.

99jc
11-03-2018, 11:13 PM
Do you ever or have you ever attended a game or are you are paraplegic and your life is the Internet. Or are you preacher Matt in disguise?

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2018, 11:16 PM
Do you ever or have you ever attended a game or are you are paraplegic and your life is the Internet. Or are you preacher Matt in disguise?

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6ZtcD1LxHnVzplO8/giphy.gif

preachermatt83
11-04-2018, 12:12 AM

Hey!!! What did I do?!?

Commercecomet24
11-04-2018, 12:14 AM
Hey!!! What did I do?!?

Nothing, that guy just likes to fuss.

mstatefan91
11-04-2018, 12:41 AM
I will note on Tucker Day that he apparently switched back to how he kicked in high school this week (and tonight) and that made the difference.

The coaches wanted him to get rid of the ball more quickly and changed his kicking style going into the season. That's why his punts looked choppy and weak.

I'd personally rather risk having a punt or two blocked over the course of the season with Day averaging 40-45 yards than for him to average 30-35 with zero punts blocked.

Cooterpoot
11-04-2018, 03:30 AM
1. The bowl streak is a product of the extra game and too many meaningless bowl games. But it’s still fun and important because we have to play in the college NFL division.
2. I disagree on the offense. We’re playing weaker defenses. We’re still not sharp on the OL and not giving our RBs carries.
3. Day will not be the punter next season IMO.
4. Guidry is doing what Juco guys do. Figuring things out. Next year he will be good.
5. With you on the DBs. I think it’s the philosophy change and the extra DB. We’ll see next week how good we are on defense.
6. I don’t know yet on Jo vs Dan. Jo has a lot to figure out about the SEC still. I think Dan screwed around with OOC teams for the most part. We didn’t play a decent OOC team this year.
7. AL isn’t going to be focused. We should be able to keep it fairly close if Jo and Fitz don’t crap the bed.

MetEdDawg
11-04-2018, 07:19 AM
1. The bowl streak is a product of the extra game and too many meaningless bowl games. But it’s still fun and important because we have to play in the college NFL division.
2. I disagree on the offense. We’re playing weaker defenses. We’re still not sharp on the OL and not giving our RBs carries.
3. Day will not be the punter next season IMO.
4. Guidry is doing what Juco guys do. Figuring things out. Next year he will be good.
5. With you on the DBs. I think it’s the philosophy change and the extra DB. We’ll see next week how good we are on defense.
6. I don’t know yet on Jo vs Dan. Jo has a lot to figure out about the SEC still. I think Dan screwed around with OOC teams for the most part. We didn’t play a decent OOC team this year.
7. AL isn’t going to be focused. We should be able to keep it fairly close if Jo and Fitz don’t crap the bed.

Number 7 is a highly unrealistic expectation to set considering they just went into Baton Rouge and not only shut out LSU abut won 29-0. What have we or anyone else done this year to make you think we should keep it close in Tuscaloosa?

We aren't special folks. We shouldn't just magically be able to do something everyone else hasn't. If we keep it within 21 I'll be happy. But let's dispense with the we should go into Tuscaloosa and keep it fairly close talk. You don't have to think LSU is any good (They are a Top 15 team I think) but they got utterly dominated in their house. You should expect a blowout and be surprised if it doesn't happen.

Lance Harbor
11-04-2018, 08:15 AM
I don't want to see any coaches doing anything with their balls hanging out.

Good win tonight. Here are some pompous asshole thoughts.....

- 9 straight bowl games. Don't take it for granted. It's tied for the 11th longest bowl streak in the nation. Don't take it for granted. I realize that this year will never be everything that everyone dreamed of, but from 30,000 feet, the program is still growing. This bowl streak is so important because it's changing the history of Mississippi State football. If we continue to consistently be competitive for years to come, we will eventually have a fan base full of people that weren't alive in the 80s or the Croom era. They will only know winning football. If this bowl streak had started in 1981, where would we be now? That's how important this is. In any given year, it's not terribly difficult to win 6 games, but over the course of a decade, it's difficult to never be bad, bottom out, or go on probation.

- The JoMo offense is starting to click. It's fairly clear to my eyes that the players now appear to know what they are doing & are doing it faster & with more confidence than in earlier games. I know, I know, I know, we should've beaten Florida & KY, but we had a first year coach, a new offense, & our QB missed much of Spring practice. It is what it is. Build a bridge.

- Tucker Day was significantly better tonight. I still think he has another level though. His plant foot was actually leaving the ground tonight during his follow through, which is a more athletic movement that produces more momentum through the ball. However, he has another level because he can clearly explode though the ball a little more.

- I think Stephen Guidry is close to becoming a #1 WR for us. As you can see, he's starting to make big plays. He still disappears at times, but teams maybe starting to shade coverage his way, which is why other guys are wide open. If we have a QB step up, I think Guidry can have a huge 2019.

- Incredible the jump that our DBs have made in ball skills. It seemed like an MSU tradition that the DBs never turned their heads only for the ball to go right by their head & into the WRs arms. I'm not really sure what the difference is, but, other than talent maybe, I want to believe that Bob Shoops' history as a DB coach has added a little extra to that position unit. They'll find out what they are made of next week.

- Overall, I think it's worth noting that JoMo's offense has appeared mostly better than Mullen's against non-conference competition. I think Mullen is a master of covering up deficiencies, but average to below average at raising the ceiling. Seems like against teams that we have talent advantages against, Moorhead's offense is way more explosive.

- At Bama, I just want to see a coach call plays with his balls hanging out & coaches with aggression. We'll get blown out but let's go in there & have fun & be aggressive. None of this going into a shell & playing not to lose crap.

Cooterpoot
11-04-2018, 08:48 AM
Number 7 is a highly unrealistic expectation to set considering they just went into Baton Rouge and not only shut out LSU abut won 29-0. What have we or anyone else done this year to make you think we should keep it close in Tuscaloosa?

We aren't special folks. We shouldn't just magically be able to do something everyone else hasn't. If we keep it within 21 I'll be happy. But let's dispense with the we should go into Tuscaloosa and keep it fairly close talk. You don't have to think LSU is any good (They are a Top 15 team I think) but they got utterly dominated in their house. You should expect a blowout and be surprised if it doesn't happen.

Because Arkansas and a couple teams scored points on unfocused AL and our defense is legit. I’m sorry, but we’ve got a better team than LSU. Had Jo not gone full retard trying to run his offense....what might have been. By the way, Bama has always won at LSU.

Dawg Tired
11-04-2018, 08:50 AM
What have we or anyone else done this year to make you think we should keep it close in Tuscaloosa?

Arkansas scored 31 on Tusk?s vaunted NFL ready defense. LSUs defense held them to 29 without their best LB for a half.

I know that doesn?t mean anything but thought that would be fun.

MetEdDawg
11-04-2018, 08:54 AM
Because Arkansas and a couple teams scored points on unfocused AL and our defense is legit. I’m sorry, but we’ve got a better team than LSU. Had Jo not gone full retard trying to run his offense....what might have been. By the way, Bama has always won at LSU.

Ok. Get your hopes up then come down on Moorhead when we get beat on. I'll be extremely happy if that doesn't happen. But I know you don't actually think we have a chance because you used a fluke Arkansas offense output and a Bama always wins in Death Valley as your excuse why we should hold it close against one of the best college teams ever assembled in their building.

Nothing to see here. Carry on.

Cooterpoot
11-04-2018, 09:02 AM
Ok. Get your hopes up then come down on Moorhead when we get beat on. I'll be extremely happy if that doesn't happen. But I know you don't actually think we have a chance because you used a fluke Arkansas offense output and a Bama always wins in Death Valley as your excuse why we should hold it close against one of the best college teams ever assembled in their building.

Nothing to see here. Carry on.

I don’t have much hope. We aren’t winning that game IMO. But we’ve got one of the best defenses in college football and an experienced team. We really held LSU to no TDS ourselves. LSU isn’t that good. FL put almost as many points as AL vs LSU. You act like LSU didn’t play them tough. They did. We can do the same and if AL is flat we can maybe score a little.

MetEdDawg
11-04-2018, 09:19 AM
I don’t have hope. We aren’t winning that game IMO. But we’ve got one of the best defenses in college football and an experienced team. We really held LSU to no TDS ourselves. LSU isn’t that good. FL put almost as many points as AL vs LSU. You act like LSU didn’t play them tough. They did. We can do the same and if AL is flat we can maybe score a little.

So how many points do we give up realistically? Let's say for argument we have the best defense Alabama has faced. I would agree with that statement.

If we start there, Bama scored 29 in Baton Rouge. Next lowest offensive output was 39 against Missouri at home. Everything else from there was 45 points or more. From there they gave up 31 to Arkansas, 21 to Tennessee, and no more than 14 in any other game.

So statistically if we go by that, in order for us to win, we need to hold Alabama to either their lowest points scored of the year or we have to score more than any other team has against them. Now I personally think it's much more likely we hold them below 29 than score more than 31. So let's say we hold them to 24. We still have to score the second highest offensive output of the year against them all year.

I just want to make sure this fan base gets realistic about this game. Many on here have bitched about our offense. We've scored above 24 once in SEC play and that was last week against TAMU. Stats say this game will probably be a 27-7 type game. I'm ok with that. But anyone on here projecting 14 points or less isn't being realistic. 29 is the lowest margin of victory this year for Bama.

Cooterpoot
11-04-2018, 09:32 AM
I told you my best case. 27 points. That’s my best case. What we hold them won’t matter if we can’t score though and offense has been our problem all season. Turnovers compound the problem. My best case is 27-10, excluding something crazy.

shrimp
11-04-2018, 09:34 AM
That’s gross.

I don't want to see any coaches doing anything with their balls hanging out.

MetEdDawg
11-04-2018, 09:45 AM
I told you my best case. 27 points. That’s my best case. What we hold them won’t matter if we can’t score though and offense has been our problem all season. Turnovers compound the problem. My best case is 27-10, excluding something crazy.

If that's your best case then we agree. Sounded like by keep it close you meant 7-10 points. Although I guess in this year of Bama a 17 point loss probably would be considered close considering how everything else has gone

dawgday166
11-04-2018, 10:02 AM
So how many points do we give up realistically? Let's say for argument we have the best defense Alabama has faced. I would agree with that statement.

If we start there, Bama scored 29 in Baton Rouge. Next lowest offensive output was 39 against Missouri at home. Everything else from there was 45 points or more. From there they gave up 31 to Arkansas, 21 to Tennessee, and no more than 14 in any other game.

So statistically if we go by that, in order for us to win, we need to hold Alabama to either their lowest points scored of the year or we have to score more than any other team has against them. Now I personally think it's much more likely we hold them below 29 than score more than 31. So let's say we hold them to 24. We still have to score the second highest offensive output of the year against them all year.

I just want to make sure this fan base gets realistic about this game. Many on here have bitched about our offense. We've scored above 24 once in SEC play and that was last week against TAMU. Stats say this game will probably be a 27-7 type game. I'm ok with that. But anyone on here projecting 14 points or less isn't being realistic. 29 is the lowest margin of victory this year for Bama.

Who projected us holding Bama to 14 pts??

MetEdDawg
11-04-2018, 10:21 AM
Who projected us holding Bama to 14 pts??

Didn't say anyone was. That's in relation to margin of victory.