PDA

View Full Version : Cathead Vodka

FlabLoser
10-16-2013, 11:38 PM
..is really good. Made in MS too. It seems to be taking off. I've seen it featured prominently in New Orleans bars.

I'm only a sometimes vodka drinker. I can drink Cathead on the rocks, so that's saying a lot.

I put it up there with any of the higher end brand name Vodkas.

This vodka is Cathead's first product. They are making whiskeys and bourbons too. It will be awhile before those are out since they have to age.

I suppose Cathead made a move to hit the vodka out of the park since it is their company's make or break first impression.

Guy at the liquor store tells me it is filtered 6 times...whatever that means.

BeastMan
10-17-2013, 06:09 AM
Cathead is a solid vodka. Filtered 6 times means less impurities for better taste. Also means less hangover. When filtering vodka there is diminishing returns in terms of filtration. I'm sure some "premium" vodka will come out touted as being filtered 10 times (which is stupid).

Honestly, Smirnoff triple distiller is my favorite for the price and is perfectly fine for bloodys and screwdrivers. I could understand if you wanted to go more premium for a martini but I don't drink those at home so I have no need. That said, if I do want to spend a few extra dollars I'll get Cathead solely b/c it's a ms company.

Barking 13
10-17-2013, 07:18 AM
I heard those guys on Supertalk a while back... if I'm not mistaken, they are dawgs....

BeastMan
10-17-2013, 07:31 AM
I've seen them passing out huggies in the junction but I'm pretty sure they do that in Oxford and Hattiesburg too.

col. forbin
10-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Yea the guys that run it are super cool people. I didn't really like Cathead at first, but a buddy of mine works for them so I decided to support him and the local company. It's the only vodka I buy now. They also are making a gin, I haven't tried it yet, but hope to get a bottle soon.

BeastMan
10-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Yea the guys that run it are super cool people. I didn't really like Cathead at first, but a buddy of mine works for them so I decided to support him and the local company. It's the only vodka I buy now. They also are making a gin, I haven't tried it yet, but hope to get a bottle soon.

Dang good to see you here Colonel. Come around often

Bullmutt
10-18-2013, 05:23 PM
Martinis were mentioned above, and I have recently become determined to learn to make a good one. So far I haven't done it, but neither has anyone else whose I've had outside of a top notch bar. There was, prior to Katrina, a great bartender in the bar of the Prince Conti Hotel in N.O. who specialized in Martinis. He told me the secret to a great Martini is in using the right kind of ice. He had a bin filled with finely cracked ice, the like of which I've never been able to find. He said to never use ice made in a refridgerator ice maker, so I have been buying bag ice and then using an ice pick or hammer to get smaller pieces, but I still can't seem, using a shaker, to get them cold enough without the ice throwing too much water. Does anyone have some suggestions?

FlabLoser
10-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Martinis were mentioned above, and I have recently become determined to learn to make a good one. So far I haven't done it, but neither has anyone else whose I've had outside of a top notch bar. There was, prior to Katrina, a great bartender in the bar of the Prince Conti Hotel in N.O. who specialized in Martinis. He told me the secret to a great Martini is in using the right kind of ice. He had a bin filled with finely cracked ice, the like of which I've never been able to find. He said to never use ice made in a refridgerator ice maker, so I have been buying bag ice and then using an ice pick or hammer to get smaller pieces, but I still can't seem, using a shaker, to get them cold enough without the ice throwing too much water. Does anyone have some suggestions?

Only thing I can add is that a real martini is made from gin, not vodka.

FlabLoser
10-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Saw some Cathead (pumpkin ?) spice vodka today.