PDA

View Full Version : What the ever happened to true Heavy Weight Boxing? WhO 17'd it over?

Bully13
11-03-2018, 02:09 AM
whose the champ these days? WHO the 17 knows?

Back in my days, we knew. you young 17's are ****s. He was the heavy weight who fought like a feather weight. Amazinng/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lvkeUjEMlA

Liverpooldawg
11-03-2018, 02:14 AM
Don King happened. He ruined boxing, especially the heavyweight division. When I was a kid, EVERYBODY knew who the heavyweight champ was, even non-boxing fans. I used to love to watch boxing. I don't even remember the last time I watched a match, in any division.

Bully13
11-03-2018, 02:31 AM
Ali was the Albert Eienstein of Boxing. he was a thing of athletic beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkhpZoPOfZI

Mobile Bay
11-03-2018, 07:43 AM
IMO three things. One the rise of UFC, two the title is currently split between Deontay Wilder and Anthony Joshua, and Joshua is a scared punk bitch who knows the Bronze Bomber is gonna mess him up 18 ways from Sunday. Third a lot of the recent past title holders have not been American leading to overseas fights and a lack of interest here.

TheRef
11-03-2018, 07:58 AM
IMO three things. One the rise of UFC, two the title is currently split between Deontay Wilder and Anthony Joshua, and Joshua is a scared punk bitch who knows the Bronze Bomber is gonna mess him up 18 ways from Sunday. Third a lot of the recent past title holders have not been American leading to overseas fights and a lack of interest here.

Bronze Bomber is LETHAL to watch. He grew up in T-Town and worked as a beer truck man. So he was hauling kegs and crates all day long. Once he started fighting professionally, no one has been able to touch him. They need a unification fight YESTERDAY. Wilder is 40-0 (39 KO), if that's not a lethal strength boxer that you don't want to have to go 15 rounds against, I don't know what is.

Dawg61
11-03-2018, 10:19 AM
Don King happened. He ruined boxing, especially the heavyweight division. When I was a kid, EVERYBODY knew who the heavyweight champ was, even non-boxing fans. I used to love to watch boxing. I don't even remember the last time I watched a match, in any division.

Don King has zero to do with boxing struggling. For 20+ years boxing was thriving while King was around. The problem with boxing now is UFC and lack of elite stars in the heavyweight division. Money Mayweather is still the biggest draw in boxing and his fight vs McGregor was the 2nd highest PPV of all-time trailing only Mayweather vs Pacquio. Heavyweight boxing will be huge again as soon as someone with cockiness like Tyson or McGregor comes around and self promotes themselves. I enjoyed the Mayweather v Conor fight and I'd watch both of them again. Nothing is better than heavyweights though when you get stars. Mike Tyson was phenomenal television. Nothing was better than pre-prison Tyson.

dawgs
11-03-2018, 10:29 AM
When the greatest boxer of all time spends the last couple decades of his life clearly suffering the effects of having his brain pounded for years, it's not exactly gonna inspire young folks to start boxing.

Dawg61
11-03-2018, 10:35 AM
When the greatest boxer of all time spends the last couple decades of his life clearly suffering the effects of having his brain pounded for years, it's not exactly gonna inspire young folks to start boxing.

I'm no brain surgeon but I don't think you can get Parkinsons from boxing.

phatdog
11-03-2018, 10:43 AM
what happened was Tyson bit that guys ear off.

Bothrops
11-03-2018, 10:44 AM
Wladimir Klitschko was a formidable champion that was unbeatable from 2004-2015. After finally being defeated in his last two fights, he retired, which was smart. That was one hell of a run he had.

I used to follow boxing as well, but years removed at this point.

Really Clark?
11-03-2018, 10:47 AM
I'm no brain surgeon but I don't think you can get Parkinsons from boxing.

Severe TBI increases the risk of Parkinson’s by 83%, in a study done this year. TBI was already known to be a possible contributor of higher risk and this latest study confirmed it again with even better data.

parabrave
11-03-2018, 11:28 AM
One major thing that hurt boxing was HBO. In the 60's and 70's Friday night was boxing night. Every kid I knew watched it. The big Heavyweight championships were primetime or Sunday afternoon. Got to see all the Ali fights for FREE. Also back then AAU boxing was huge and Saturday night was for that. But when they got greedy with HBO and Pay for view they cut out 70-80% of their viewership/ Oh Sugar Ray Leonard was pound for pound the GOAT.

BeastMan
11-03-2018, 11:54 AM
There is actually a great heavyweight title fight in December, Deontay Wilder vs Tyson Fury. I’ll buy it. What happened to the heavyweight division post Lennox Lewis was the best 2 fighters and heavyweight champions were the Klitchco brothers and they never left Russia. The division has its first flare in a long time come December.