PDA

View Full Version : Lady dawgs win by 41....Anriel Howard is a freaking beast...if this team jells

99jc
11-02-2018, 08:50 PM
Watch out. Vic is a hellva coach and recruiter.

Ezsoil
11-02-2018, 09:26 PM
The freshmen Carter Wiggins and Taylor looked great..... Campbell still looked lost

Bothrops
11-02-2018, 10:18 PM
How was Bibby? This team is awesome

starkvegasdawg
11-02-2018, 10:27 PM

Good looking as ever.

99jc
11-02-2018, 10:35 PM
Bibby had 10 points hit a couple 3 pointers. Anriel had 23 point 11 rebounds. Tiera was benched the whole 1st half had 16 points in 16 minutes. Tate looked really good had 13. Jessica Carter is going to be a monster 10 points and looks smooth around basket at 6'5". If Espinoza gets eligible this team will make final 4 for sure.

captaindog
11-02-2018, 10:51 PM

Looking at the stats we still have a long way to go as a team. We were 4-11 from 3 and 9-18 from the free throw line. We were also 22-18 assist to turnover. That said we still won by 41 and held our opponent to 34% FG, 26% 3FG and 11-27 assist to turnover. All this with McCowan sitting the first half.
McCowan and Howard are unreal in the paint together as it made it very difficult to double team either. Both are very comfortable playing to their strengths and stay within that framework.
It seems like Bibby and Danberry are still trying to find their roles and forcing themselves to do some things they are not completely comfortable. It did seem in the second half that Danberry played more to her strength: on ball defense and driving then dishing on offense. I still like Bibby as a stretch four.
Holmes got in foul trouble the first half but played well in the second half. She also doesn?t seem to force her game but plays within herself.

Campbell and Scott both play their roles very well. I think we will see them in spurts throughout the year as they aren?t as talented as the freshmen but are much more consistent. Same for Tate when she recovers.
Wiggins is a much more complete and fluid player than I expected. I?ll be interested to see how she does as the talent of the competition increases.

Carter looks really good at the four. Fortunately she has Howard to teach her and allow her to grow without pressure. I think she would really compliment Promise Taylor at 5.
M Taylor looked good as the third guard. Sometimes she pressed a little too much but overall played well. I?d like to have her always paired with Holmes or Danberry.
Promise Taylor and Espinoza-Hunter would really push this team to another level. They would take most of the back up minutes with P Taylor at the 5 and Espinoza-Hunter at 2 and 3. Bibby could rotate to 4 with M Taylor giving relief at the point. Depending on the night either Scott, Tate and Campbell or Wiggins and Carter would then get the rest.

Captain Falcon
11-02-2018, 11:20 PM
I think Howard is going to be everybody?s favorite player on this team. Her hustle, skillset, and personality are just special. One thing that?s overlooked about last year?s team is that while we did have several very good shooters, McCowan was all we had in the post. I have no idea how teams are going to be able to defend both McCowan AND Howard. And we have a legit chance to lead the nation in rebounding margin. My only concern with that is backup center. Campbell continues to just not look very good at all. But I think Carter will be good and she can play 4 or 5.

Out veteran guards will have to step up because they are going to be pushed all season by the newcomers. Taylor and Wiggins are going to be really good players. At this point it feels like they are not planning on having Promise or Andra eligible, so that?s unfortunate, but who knows what to expect with the NCAA so maybe we will catch a break.

Randolph Dupree
11-02-2018, 11:43 PM
I hope they gel* quickly

KOdawg1
11-03-2018, 01:05 AM
So is there a chance Espinosa-Hunter gets eligible? Man, if we can add her, another trip to the final 4 is likely. Still at least a sweet 16 team with or without her

Liverpooldawg
11-03-2018, 01:12 AM
Who did we play? I think Vic may have us to a point none of our teams have every been at, a reload type program instead of a rebuild type program.

MaroonBelle
11-03-2018, 01:36 AM
Who did we play? I think Vic may have us to a point none of our teams have every been at, a reload type program instead of a rebuild type program.

As with most exhibition games they were a DII team from Missouri. However, this team also happened to be last years DII national champs. They had some really good players, and were well coached. They moved the ball around well and got some penetration the first half and as was said earlier Campbell was playing center and was definitely the weak link defensively. When we came into the second half the girls really put the clamps down on defense and that also led to more offense. We drove more into the lane offensively second half too. Just generally way more aggressive on both sides of the ball. If you are interested in watching, it was carried on the SEC digital channel so should be available. I was at the game but I still intend to watch as Blair had her first go at being an analyst for this game and I hear she did well.

Liverpooldawg
11-03-2018, 01:43 AM
As with most exhibition games they were a DII team from Missouri. However, this team also happened to be last years DII national champs. They had some really good players, and were well coached. They moved the ball around well and got some penetration the first half and as was said earlier Campbell was playing center and was definitely the weak link defensively. When we came into the second half the girls really put the clamps down on defense and that also led to more offense. We drove more into the lane offensively second half too. Just generally way more aggressive on both sides of the ball. If you are interested in watching, it was carried on the SEC digital channel so should be available. I was at the game but I still intend to watch as Blair had her first go at being an analyst for this game and I hear she did well.

I'll have to watch to see how Blair did! She has been on the sidelines at a couple of our high school football games doing video for WCBI. The first time she showed up she was mobbed by people wanting their picture taken with her. She was very gracious and did every one of them. I do some sideline photography and talked with her on the sidelines about covering games. She was very personable and friendly. I think if TV sports is her chosen career, she will go far.

Leeshouldveflanked
11-03-2018, 05:17 AM
I bet Geno is keeping Espinoza-Hunter from becoming eligible.... He carries a lot of weight with the NCAA.

Dawg2003
11-03-2018, 06:28 AM
I bet Geno is keeping Espinoza-Hunter from becoming eligible.... He carries a lot of weight with the NCAA.

Oh I bet he is. Wasn't there a TN transfer that their coach kept from becoming eligible last year at SC?

Captain Falcon
11-03-2018, 07:38 AM

I think that’s absolutely right. We lost 80% of our starters from last year and still are a Preseason Top 10 team. That has never happened in any other sport for us.

msbulldog
11-03-2018, 08:07 AM

I will watch, thank you.

Martianlander
11-03-2018, 08:33 AM
Why didn't McCowan play the first half? Did Vic just want to see how they would do without her?

99jc
11-03-2018, 09:36 AM
Why didn't McCowan play the first half? Did Vic just want to see how they would do without her?

They never really said but Jason Crowder alluded it might have been disciplinary. Zion Campbell seems to be a great kid but if we have to rely on her for center were in deep trouble. Seems to have bulked up a little that's about the only positive. And I might be a homer but Blair graded A on her analysts work. That girl knows basketball she would make a great coach Vic Clone.

MaroonBelle
11-03-2018, 10:09 AM
They never really said but Jason Crowder alluded it might have been disciplinary. Zion Campbell seems to be a great kid but if we have to rely on her for center were in deep trouble. Seems to have bulked up a little that's about the only positive. And I might be a homer but Blair graded A on her analysts work. That girl knows basketball she would make a great coach Vic Clone.

In the CL article about the game it was stated that Vic wanted to see what he had without T in the lineup. Also said he didn't like what he saw from Zion. I don't think her toughness had improved at all from last year and half the time on defense she has her back turned to a driving player. She can't keep anyone out of the lane. Doesn't intimidate even a little bit.

Saltydog
11-03-2018, 11:03 AM
back up for TC will be this teams downfall in big games. I think some of you guys are going to be a bit disappointed.

Dawg2003
11-03-2018, 11:26 AM
back up for TC will be this teams downfall in big games. I think some of you guys are going to be a bit disappointed.

Outside shooting will be a problem, but Carter appears to provide a decent backup for T. I think we're in a better situation with backups for T this year because we only had Zion last year. Those turnovers though. That was bad.

captaindog
11-03-2018, 11:35 AM
In the CL article about the game it was stated that Vic wanted to see what he had without T in the lineup. Also said he didn't like what he saw from Zion. I don't think her toughness had improved at all from last year and half the time on defense she has her back turned to a driving player. She can't keep anyone out of the lane. Doesn't intimidate even a little bit.

As she gains experience I?m sure we will see Carter more and more as McCowan?s backup. She has a lot more talent and size. If Promise Taylor gains eligibility this season then there will only be a minimal drop off defensively and rebounding with not much more of a drop off in offense.

the_real_MSU_is_us
11-03-2018, 04:23 PM

She had no backup last year either. Howard is a better rebounding and defending 4 than Vivians was so that should help when T is out. Turnovers will go down as the year goes on, and FT shooting will go up. 3 point % or an injury is the only reason we can't make the championship again.

Ezsoil
11-03-2018, 04:32 PM

This will be a different team than last year...T had ZERO backup last year....Carter will serve as a 5 very nicely ..Chloe, Wiggins and Taylor will be the outside shooters and will do just fine. This team will be a driving team and most of the points will be in the paint... this will be a lock down defensive team ...much more than last year ... the margins of victory will be similar...just differen.

Saltydog
11-03-2018, 05:00 PM
the game with VV. We don't have anyone NEAR that caliber this year and it will show immensely. Howard can rebound and defend but she's not gonna take up the slack offensively.

99jc
11-03-2018, 05:48 PM
the game with VV. We don't have anyone NEAR that caliber this year and it will show immensely. Howard can rebound and defend but she's not gonna take up the slack offensively.

yeah she only had 23 points last night!

msbulldog
11-03-2018, 05:51 PM

Damn Salty go rain on somebody else's parade!