PDA

View Full Version : The NCAA's Teeth

ShotgunDawg
11-02-2018, 10:46 AM
There has been much complaining about the NCAA's lack of teeth, but, while their teeth is somewhat indirect, the result is that they cause pain.

The NCAA's teeth are built to accomplish two things:

1. Get the coach fired

2. Complete autonomy over the length of the investigation

For those saying OM got off lightly, perhaps they got off lighter than what they should have, but the results say they have paid a steep price.

- 3 years without a Bowl game
- best coach since Vaught Fired
- most depleted roster in 20 years set to take the field in 2019

Maybe they do start cheating again soon and maybe the NCAA does lack the resources to levy significant, official penalties, but don't kid yourself, they have the unofficial capacity to destroy your ass and set your program back 5+ years.

It ain't worth it unless you're so bad that probation doesn't seem worse than where you already are, you're Auburn or Bama, who for whatever reason they refuse to properly investigate, or you're LSU in which there is zero chance you get caught.

BrunswickDawg
11-02-2018, 10:59 AM
There has been much complaining about the NCAA's lack of teeth, but, while their teeth is somewhat indirect, the result is that they cause pain.

1. Get the coach fired

For those saying OM got off lightly, perhaps they got off lighter than what they should have, but the results say they have paid a steep price.

Maybe they do start cheating again soon and maybe the NCAA does lack the resources to levy significant, official penalties, but don't kid yourself, they have the unofficial capacity to destroy your ass and set your program back 5+ years.

It ain't worth it unless you're so bad that probation doesn't seem worse than where you already are, you're Auburn or Bama, who for whatever reason they refuse to properly investigate, or you're LSU in which there is zero chance you get caught.

The thing about cheating "soon" is that they will not be able to do what they were doing before within the next few years or they will risk repeat offender status. They are on probation status thru 2020, and repeat offender status through 2021 (According to the NCAA if "repeat offender " is if "The second violation occurred within five years of the starting date of the penalty assessed in the first case."). They start bringing in high profile recruiters and landing 5* from Georgia, Florida, and Illinois again before 2021 and the NCAA will be on them like stink on shit. I hope they are dumb enough to do it.

MadDawg
11-02-2018, 11:15 AM
I'm in the camp that thinks they got off light. And yes, that is compared to what most of us thought they should or would get.

Looking at your points, it seems the biggest punishment they got was losing their head coach. And that's something a lot of us give ZERO credit to the NCAA for doing. Steve Robertson got Freeze fired. He's the one that did the investigation that led up to that. And the assist goes to Houston Nutt and his attorney. The NCAA gave Freeze what, a 2-game suspension? To call that a slap on the wrist is being generous.

The bowl ban sucks for sure. But even that they will likely get all the lost revenue back.

MadDawg
11-02-2018, 11:17 AM
The thing about cheating "soon" is that they will not be able to do what they were doing before...... I hope they are dumb enough to do it.

I doubt a program that continued cheating WHILE UNDER INVESTIGATION is going to care about cheating while under probation.

robert
11-02-2018, 11:18 AM
And the BandWagon Fanbase is starting to grumble and soon will crumble. Vitter is hated, he gave them the bear, the shark, did away with Dixie, their flag and Col Reb. He won't last. Even the big money fans are upset.

Bjork, what a great AD...three athletic programs on probation. LOIC in the eyes of the NCAA...he may be the man that knew too much, but time will tell if he will endure the losing seasons ahead (football, basketball, maybe baseball). Lots of empty seats if the sidewalk alumni decide Bama is a better program to root for, and they will.

Liverpooldawg
11-02-2018, 11:19 AM

1. Get the coach fired

Outstanding post, and the truth.

Cooterpoot
11-02-2018, 11:23 AM
I'm more pissed we didn't do more to them by beating them like we should have. They're not a good program now, but we had numerous opportunities to put our foots on their throats and Dan pissed them away.

Liverpooldawg
11-02-2018, 11:23 AM
I'm in the camp that thinks they got off light. And yes, that is compared to what most of us thought they should or would get.

Looking at your points, it seems the biggest punishment they got was losing their head coach. And that's something a lot of us give ZERO credit to the NCAA for doing. Steve Robertson got Freeze fired. He's the one that did the investigation that led up to that. And the assist goes to Houston Nutt and his attorney. The NCAA gave Freeze what, a 2-game suspension? To call that a slap on the wrist is being generous.

The bowl ban sucks for sure. But even that they will likely get all the lost revenue back.

Steve never would have done what he did without there being an investigation. Their recruiting has been wrecked for at least two-three years and their usual cheating will be toned down till the repeat offender is gone.

Liverpooldawg
11-02-2018, 11:25 AM
I doubt a program that continued cheating WHILE UNDER INVESTIGATION is going to care about cheating while under probation.

Cheating while under investigation does not carry nearly as serious of repercussions as cheating under repeat offender status does. Ask SMU.

Sienfield
11-02-2018, 11:53 AM
Cheating while under investigation does not carry nearly as serious of repercussions as cheating under repeat offender status does. Ask SMU.

I'm sure it fits right in the matrix that the NCAA doesn't follow.

MadDawg
11-02-2018, 12:14 PM

And just digest the absurdity of that statement.

TUSK
11-02-2018, 12:16 PM
And the BandWagon Fanbase is starting to grumble and soon will crumble. Vitter is hated, he gave them the bear, the shark, did away with Dixie, their flag and Col Reb. He won't last. Even the big money fans are upset.

Bjork, what a great AD...three athletic programs on probation. LOIC in the eyes of the NCAA...he may be the man that knew too much, but time will tell if he will endure the losing seasons ahead (football, basketball, maybe baseball). Lots of empty seats if the sidewalk alumni decide Bama is a better program to root for, and they will.

Bandwagon: Vacancy [No Vacancy]

MadDawg
11-02-2018, 12:30 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/zfZx7Br9/Untitled2.jpg

And I guess someone is going to have to explain to me how they are going to be so depleted the next several years when their recruiting has barely dipped below our less-that-stellar recruiting efforts. It just doesn't add up.

ShotgunDawg
11-02-2018, 12:44 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/zfZx7Br9/Untitled2.jpg

And I guess someone is going to have to explain to me how they are going to be so depleted the next several years when their recruiting has barely dipped below our less-that-stellar recruiting efforts. It just doesn't add up.

Transfers, draft, and unbalanced classes.

Much of their recruiting boost is due to Shea and Corral being QBs, which count most in the recruiting rankings

Commercecomet24
11-02-2018, 01:02 PM

Much of their recruiting boost is due to Shea and Corral being QBs, which count most in the recruiting rankings

This x 1000. They are also getting almost no talent on the defensive side of the ball so there defense will not improve anytime soon

LC Dawg
11-02-2018, 01:26 PM
Bandwagon: Vacancy [No Vacancy]

Bullshit. Walmart has plenty of shirts.

TUSK
11-02-2018, 01:37 PM
Bullshit. Walmart has plenty of shirts.

I'm gonna build a wall.*

Homedawg
11-02-2018, 01:40 PM

This ^^ all day

BrunswickDawg
11-02-2018, 01:42 PM

Yeah - most of the talent in the 2016 class is either gone or will be after this season. The '17 class had 3 guys go JUCO, and lost their only 2 4* enrollees (Bowie and Dixon).
The 2018 class was inflated by Corral - who might not pan out. The '19 class is inflated by numbers compared to everyone else (they have 26 commits) and will lose their top commit to MLB. Not to mention they have 4 WR commits for a roster loaded with WR, and 8 OL who always take time to develop. If they land all those WR and keep this class intact - they will have 13 WR on the roster next year, 5 scholly QBs, and 21 OL. That's stupid roster distribution.

MadDawg
11-02-2018, 01:55 PM
Yeah - most of the talent in the 2016 class is either gone or will be after this season. The '17 class had 3 guys go JUCO, and lost their only 2 4* enrollees (Bowie and Dixon).
The 2018 class was inflated by Corral - who might not pan out. The '19 class is inflated by numbers compared to everyone else (they have 26 commits) and will lose their top commit to MLB.

That makes some sense.

they will have 13 WR on the roster next year, 5 scholly QBs, and 21 OL. That's stupid roster distribution.

Holy grapenuts that's ridiculous!

DogsofAnarchy
11-02-2018, 03:12 PM
The thing about cheating "soon" is that they will not be able to do what they were doing before within the next few years or they will risk repeat offender status. They are on probation status thru 2020, and repeat offender status through 2021 (According to the NCAA if "repeat offender " is if "The second violation occurred within five years of the starting date of the penalty assessed in the first case."). They start bringing in high profile recruiters and landing 5* from Georgia, Florida, and Illinois again before 2021 and the NCAA will be on them like stink on shit. I hope they are dumb enough to do it.

Hahahaha!!! That’s so cute. Brother, they are already back at it again.

spbdawg
11-02-2018, 05:02 PM
#

spbdawg
11-02-2018, 05:07 PM
#

Liverpooldawg
11-02-2018, 05:30 PM
I'm sure it fits right in the matrix that the NCAA doesn't follow.

They actually DID follow the matrix.

spbdawg
11-02-2018, 05:46 PM
#

Goldendawg
11-02-2018, 11:59 PM
NCAA's "Teeth" equals False Teeth.

Liverpooldawg
11-03-2018, 01:17 AM
I've heard you and others say this before. If true then the matrix is too complicated for the layperson to follow bc I don't understand how institutions CAN NOT be punished for booster/coach misdeeds. The only way to reign in boosters/coaches is to levy penalties against the institution.

I originally thought that each violation was punished separately. I have since had it explained to me that is not the case. You are penalized at the level of the worst one. I agree that's just insane, but that's evidently the way it is.

spbdawg
11-03-2018, 08:53 AM
#