PDA

View Full Version : Wait so the NCAA lifted the punishment of Ole Miss?

Coach007
11-02-2018, 09:54 AM
That sends a great message doesn't it!

Alex Scarborough
ESPN Staff Writer

Ole Miss' appeal of NCAA sanctions fell short of lifting the football team's postseason ban this season, but it was successful in vacating a penalty that hindered the Rebels' ability to host recruits on unofficial visits.
No longer will Ole Miss be limited to one unofficial visit per student-athlete per academic year. The NCAA Division I Infractions Appeals Committee found that the Committee on Infractions had "abused its discretion" by leveling the penalty as part of its punishment last December, following an investigation that spanned five years and included 21 alleged violations.

Johnson85
11-02-2018, 10:39 AM
That sends a great message doesn't it!

Alex Scarborough
ESPN Staff Writer

Ole Miss' appeal of NCAA sanctions fell short of lifting the football team's postseason ban this season, but it was successful in vacating a penalty that hindered the Rebels' ability to host recruits on unofficial visits.
No longer will Ole Miss be limited to one unofficial visit per student-athlete per academic year. The NCAA Division I Infractions Appeals Committee found that the Committee on Infractions had "abused its discretion" by leveling the penalty as part of its punishment last December, following an investigation that spanned five years and included 21 alleged violations.

I understand the logic. How are they supposed to stop high school students from visiting (they can't) and how are they supposed to monitor interactions when they are there? It'd be easy to find social media posts of recruits who have used their unofficial visit with recruits on their official or unofficial visit, but unless they are in an area restricted to recruits being officially or unofficially hosted, I don't think the NCAA can enforce it. TOo easy for the recruits to say "my friend texted me to go to an open event? How can you stop me or punish the school for that?"

That said, it means they can't stop the worst recruiting shenanigans simply by limiting the opportunities for it to occur.

The NCAA may think it's sending the message that the process is the punishment. But I don't think that's the message because going forward, anybody under investigation, and especially UM, can rightfully point out that there won't be any meaningful scholarship or recruiting hits as long as recruits recognize there won't be a punishment other than a potential bowl ban, which the recruits can transfer away from. (this is why it was stupid for UM to fight the transfers; they hurt themselves for the next time they are under investigation).

Political Hack
11-02-2018, 12:58 PM
The unofficial visits is when a lot of the shenanigan take place up there. Pretty obtuse of the NCAA to not recognize that. They basically just gave them their license to cheat back.