PDA

View Full Version : Update on Kelly Bryant

msudawglb
11-01-2018, 04:12 PM
This article confirms that he will be visiting in the next few weeks. Maybe for the Arkansas game?

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article220962935.html

ShotgunDawg
11-01-2018, 05:15 PM
I think most believe he will sign with Arkansas but why would any SR choose to sign with a team that bad?

That's is some serious loyalty to Chad Morris

Todd4State
11-01-2018, 05:29 PM
Him visiting Auburn gives me flashbacks to Cam Newton.

Good to get him in for a visit though.

Dawg61
11-01-2018, 05:29 PM
I think most believe he will sign with Arkansas but why would any SR choose to sign with a team that bad?

Arkansas praying he'll pick them

Todd4State
11-01-2018, 05:30 PM

I don't think him going to Arkansas is a foregone conclusion. If it was he wouldn't be looking around.

ShotgunDawg
11-01-2018, 05:31 PM
Arkansas praying he'll pick them

Arkansas may go from a 2 win team to 5-6 win with him.

Seems like a waste for him.

Dawg61
11-01-2018, 05:34 PM
One thing to remember here is that Keytaon, Mayden and Schrader were/are all rated higher than Bryant. I'm not saying they are better than him right now just that it's something to keep in mind. We would only get 1 year with Bryant. We have our QB depth chart setup to be pretty good for the next five years already. It might be dumb to take Bryant if it means losing other QBs we already have. I think it's worth the risk though.

ShotgunDawg
11-01-2018, 05:48 PM
One thing to remember here is that Keytaon, Mayden and Schrader were/are all rated higher than Bryant. I'm not saying they are better than him right now just that it's something to keep in mind. We would only get 1 year with Bryant. We have our QB depth chart setup to be pretty good for the next five years already. It might be dumb to take Bryant if it means losing other QBs we already have. I think it's worth the risk though.

I don't see why or how it would have any effect on anyone except KT. Mayden signed here knowing KT would likely start ahead of him, and, with Bryant being a SR, this would actually move Mayden's starting ETA up a year. With Shrader it's irrelevant because he was redshirting anyway.

Dawg61
11-01-2018, 05:53 PM
I don't see why or how it would have any effect on anyone except KT. Mayden signed here knowing KT would likely start ahead of him, and, with Bryant being a SR, this would actually move Mayden's starting ETA up a year. With Shrader it's irrelevant because he was redshirting anyway.

I like KT. Guess that's my issue with it.

Bully13
11-01-2018, 05:55 PM

I like KT as well. I hate it when people judge him on that one bad series he had Saturday. He played well while filling in for Fitz last year. I think he can develop into a fine QB.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-01-2018, 05:57 PM
Looks like he will OV for the Arkansas game.

Leroy Jenkins
11-01-2018, 05:58 PM

IF... I say again, IF, the coaches are looking at Bryant seriously, its because they see KT everyday in practice and think they can do better with someone else. They are obviously not gonna come out and say that though.

Dawg61
11-01-2018, 05:59 PM
I like KT as well. I hate it when people judge him on that one bad series he had Saturday. He played well while filling in for Fitz last year. I think he can develop into a fine QB.

If anyone is judging KT off 3 snaps aTm blitzed the house on they are a moron.

msstate7
11-01-2018, 06:01 PM
IF... I say again, IF, the coaches are looking at Bryant seriously, its because they see KT everyday in practice and think they can do better with someone else. They are obviously not gonna come out and say that though.

I agree with this. We have key, mayden, and shrader coming in. This is an indictment against key and maybe even mayden

Todd4State
11-01-2018, 06:06 PM

This. People need to remember it's our coaches being open for an OV.

ShotgunDawg
11-01-2018, 06:06 PM

I like winning. I'll trust Moorhead to know who gives us the best chance to do that. I like KT as well, but I love good QB play.

ShotgunDawg
11-01-2018, 06:07 PM

Seems like Moorhead is seeing him more than anyone.

ShotgunDawg
11-01-2018, 06:08 PM
I agree with this. We have key, mayden, and shrader coming in. This is an indictment against key and maybe even mayden

Moreso KT. May being used as a motivational tactic as well.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-01-2018, 06:09 PM
Auburn is in this hot & heavy. Don't count them out at all.

msstate7
11-01-2018, 06:13 PM

Looking at his rushing stats, he doesn't look like a very good runner. I actually wouldn't mind losing out to auburn. I think auburn is much easier to beat when they don't have a really good running qb

ShotgunDawg
11-01-2018, 06:15 PM

Transfer QB U.

They can't help themselves.

I have no issue with an occasional transfer, but it can't become your recruiting strategy.

Cam
Marshall
Stidham

White is the only starter they've had that they recruited out of HS in years.

Dawgfan77
11-01-2018, 06:32 PM

Most people love Key. The issues is he had all spring by himself and all this fall and still has issues with the offense. We may get KB but I have heard we are gonna be it for a few grad transfers. Including QB not named KB

Dawg61
11-01-2018, 06:33 PM
I like winning. I'll trust Moorhead to know who gives us the best chance to do that. I like KT as well, but I love good QB play.

Me liking KT doesn't mean I want to win less than you hoss. Means I believe in KT. Nice try though.

Todd4State
11-01-2018, 06:59 PM
One thing about KT that people forget. He didn't get a redshirt year and he still could potentially use one. I've always felt like he was someone that could have used a redshirt myself going back to when he was a true freshman. If we get a grad transfer we would potentially redshirt Key which would actually probably be the best thing for him- and he would still retain four years of eligibility. Not to mention we could still play him in four games and be fine.

Todd4State
11-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Transfer QB U.

I have no issue with an occasional transfer, but it can't become your recruiting strategy.

Cam
Marshall
Stidham

Ole Miss is even worse- they haven't developed a HS QB since Spurlock in 2004.

Bully13
11-01-2018, 07:13 PM
At the end of the day, doesn't make a 17's difference whether you get a transfer, juco or straight out of H.S. Your job as HC is to win. period. just be honest with your 'croots and be honest with all your players on a daily basis. no guarantees. Tough & fair competition for starting roles in practices is the main key to success. Communication with the players.

Quaoarsking
11-01-2018, 07:32 PM
Isn't Stidham a junior? Why would he pick Auburn?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-01-2018, 07:36 PM
One thing about KT that people forget. He didn't get a redshirt year and he still could potentially use one. I've always felt like he was someone that could have used a redshirt myself going back to when he was a true freshman. If we get a grad transfer we would potentially redshirt Key which would actually probably be the best thing for him- and he would still retain four years of eligibility. Not to mention we could still play him in four games and be fine.

No way KT would go for that.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-01-2018, 07:37 PM
Isn't Stidham a junior? Why would he pick Auburn?

It's pretty much understood that Stidham is going pro.

dawgday166
11-01-2018, 08:02 PM
It's pretty much understood that Stidham is going pro.

He's not a pro QB. At one time I thought he might be but he has Chris Evert disease.

Let me add he has gotten hit a lot this year ... but he can't complete a pass now cause of it. And when you duck and drop to the turf before pressure really gets to you ... then you can't be a pro QB.

dawgday166
11-01-2018, 08:03 PM
Most people love Key. The issues is he had all spring by himself and all this fall and still has issues with the offense. We may get KB but I have heard we are gonna be it for a few grad transfers. Including QB not named KB

What do this mean? Did you mean to say we gonna be hit for a few grad transfers?

chef dixon
11-01-2018, 08:07 PM
Im not sure how much better we are with KB if any. This definitely smells like a placeholder to give Shrader time.

I just cant buy that Moorhead cant get anything out of KT. I think he needs to get some serious snaps in some of these games left this year to see what hes got.

BuckyIsAB****
11-01-2018, 08:20 PM
I dont see how it helps us we already have similar QBs to him on the roster. I want to keep KT.

Bama made him look bad a year ago hes not been that impressive to me even this year

maroonmania
11-01-2018, 08:31 PM

If I'm being honest Bryant comes across to me as more of a Malzahn type QB than a Moorhead type QB. Kind of a Nick Marshall type. I'm not sure if Bryant throws the ball well enough to be a top QB in Moorhead's system.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-01-2018, 08:35 PM
If we lose Key you might as well add DJason the transfer list too. Bringing in KB would be a huge mistake

Bully13
11-01-2018, 08:37 PM
He's not a pro QB. At one time I thought he might be but he has Chris Evert disease.

Let me add he has gotten hit a lot this year ... but he can't complete a pass now cause of it. And when you duck and drop to the turf before pressure really gets to you ... then you can't be a pro QB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8pAZ75WKh8

StarkVegasSteve
11-01-2018, 08:40 PM
If we lose Key you might as well add DJason the transfer list too. Bringing in KB would be a huge mistake

If he helps you win and he wants to come here then bring him in. If KT doesn't want to lose his starting job then be better. Honestly though, I don't think it matters if Bryant comes here or not I don't believe KT will be the starter next year.

MarketingBully
11-01-2018, 09:06 PM

He?s not a good answer for Gus?s offense. They?d be better served to go hot and heavy for Jalen Hurts.

MarketingBully
11-01-2018, 09:08 PM
If I'm being honest Bryant comes across to me as more of a Malzahn type QB than a Moorhead type QB. Kind of a Nick Marshall type. I'm not sure if Bryant throws the ball well enough to be a top QB in Moorhead's system.

Are you serious? He’s nothing like Nick Marshall. My gosh you people are hard headed and will stick to the most false of narratives.

msstate7
11-01-2018, 09:08 PM
He?s not a good answer for Gus?s offense. They?d be better served to go hot and heavy for Jalen Hurts.

As much as I'd hate to face auburn with hurts at qb, it would really make the iron bowl interesting. Gus' offense would be sick with hurts

BuckyIsAB****
11-01-2018, 09:22 PM

Malzahn would take Kelly Bryant yesterday and hed be good for them. Idk what you're talking about.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-01-2018, 10:06 PM

He'd fit well in Gus offense. He's a plus runner & an accurate passer.

Dawg61
11-01-2018, 10:09 PM
As much as I'd hate to face auburn with hurts at qb, it would really make the iron bowl interesting. Gus' offense would be sick with hurts

Probably. I'm not sure Hurts likes contact all that much though but it'd definitely make the iron bowl interesting.

msstate7
11-01-2018, 10:32 PM
He'd fit well in Gus offense. He's a plus runner & an accurate passer.

257 carries in his career with only 3.8 per carry. I thought this would be higher. ESPN qbr does have his run epa at 23rd in the country last season though.

WPS
11-01-2018, 10:33 PM
Looking at his rushing stats, he doesn't look like a very good runner. I actually wouldn't mind losing out to auburn. I think auburn is much easier to beat when they don't have a really good running qb

He can make some plays with his feet

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/5302bezsXRtzfnb5sKC43agv0zQ=/1400x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/9365547/2017_NCAA_Football_Week_5_Clemson_at_Virginia_Tech .gif

Bully13
11-01-2018, 10:42 PM
257 carries in his career with only 3.8 per carry. I thought this would be higher. ESPN qbr does have his run epa at 23rd in the country last season though.

take out the sacks. all QB's have sacks. moan mane.

Dawg61
11-01-2018, 10:44 PM
He can make some plays with his feet

Bruh fix that gif please it's giving me brain cancer

Todd4State
11-01-2018, 10:45 PM

Explain to me how losing a guy who the coaches think is struggling to pick up the offense and a guy that is to date a special teams player for a guy that may be a quality starting QB a "huge mistake"?

Todd4State
11-01-2018, 10:47 PM
No way KT would go for that.

Then he needs to step up and learn the offense and perform.

Bully13
11-01-2018, 10:47 PM
Explain to me how losing a guy who the coaches think is struggling to pick up the offense and a guy that is to date a special teams player for a guy that may be a quality starting QB a "huge mistake"?

Exactly. that's the way this shit works. it's a bidness. Let those in charge who watch everyday in real life versus a 17ing message board.

Todd4State
11-01-2018, 10:54 PM
Exactly. that's the way this shit works. it's a bidness. Let those who watch everyday in real life versus a 17ing message board.

I just don't understand the "we owe our current players" mentality that a lot of our fans seem to have. Maybe it's left over from the Dan Mullen era where if you made it to your senior year you almost automatically started no matter how terrible you were. And this "If he brings this guy in he's going to lose the team" stuff is equally as crazy. Maybe our fans are just really nice people.

You're right though- we do at this point have to trust the coaching staff. The fact of the matter is KT and Mayden were recruited to run a completely different offense than what we are running now. Just like Fitz. And if they are looking at other transfer QB's in addition to Bryant it tells me that they perceive a need at the position.

Ideally this will push KT and he will get some more opportunities plus hopefully the bowl practices to improve. But that's also not a given either.

Dawg61
11-01-2018, 10:56 PM

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on a true soph QB that's only had 3.75 starts and a true freshman WR. Both were highly rated recruits that have done nothing wrong off the field or on it to deserve being considered fat trimmings. Cut the punter if you want to improve the team.

Cooterpoot
11-01-2018, 10:57 PM
He’s not coming here, so you guys can argue all you want but you’re pissing in the wind. He’s headed to Auburn.

Todd4State
11-01-2018, 11:04 PM
I'm not ready to throw in the towel on a true soph QB that's only had 3.75 starts and a true freshman WR. Both were highly rated recruits that have done nothing wrong off the field or on it to deserve being considered fat trimmings. Cut the punter if you want to improve the team.

I wouldn't mind bringing in a grad transfer punter as well as transfer QB as well. We may very well do that in fact. That's not an either/or situation for us. Rumor is we are looking at grad transfer WR's as well.

As a player you have to make the most of your opportunities when they are presented to you. It's more than being a good student/citizen. There are a lot of walk-ons that have nothing wrong off the field but that doesn't mean that they deserve to stay on the team or play because of it.

Todd4State
11-01-2018, 11:05 PM
He’s not coming here, so you guys can argue all you want but you’re pissing in the wind. He’s headed to Auburn.

We're also looking at other QB's per rumor so I think some of the discussion is still relevant whether he comes here or not.

deadheaddawg
11-02-2018, 12:12 AM
Transfer QB U.

Cam
Marshall
Stidham

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cam. National championship
Marshall. Sec championship. National championship game
Stidham. SEC West championship.

Seems like that strategy can work

BhamDawg205
11-02-2018, 01:12 AM
Im not sure how much better we are with KB if any. This definitely smells like a placeholder to give Shrader time.

I just cant buy that Moorhead cant get anything out of KT. I think he needs to get some serious snaps in some of these games left this year to see what hes got.

I agree why get a 1yr QB? This guy played ACC competition, stats against other top tier P5 anyone? So he comes in has the same growing pains as Fitz and we sit through another 6-8 games until the light bulb to comes on. If we were a QB away from a Natty he'll why not... But Key and Mayden gets pushed back another year? And why jeopardize probably the best QB depth in MSU history?

BhamDawg205
11-02-2018, 01:17 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cam. National championship
Marshall. Sec championship. National championship game
Stidham. SEC West championship.

Seems like that strategy can work

Ok yeah it has work for AU... But we're does MSU offensive talent stack up? Maybe the Cam year was the closest, talent wise. Cam would have carried a lot of teams to the ship that year, us included.

Dawg61
11-02-2018, 01:21 AM
I wouldn't mind bringing in a grad transfer punter as well as transfer QB as well. We may very well do that in fact. That's not an either/or situation for us. Rumor is we are looking at grad transfer WR's as well.

As a player you have to make the most of your opportunities when they are presented to you. It's more than being a good student/citizen. There are a lot of walk-ons that have nothing wrong off the field but that doesn't mean that they deserve to stay on the team or play because of it.

I think you're being a little ridiculous to expect Keytaon Thompson to be better than the already dozen school records he holds in only 3.75 starts.

louisvilledawg
11-02-2018, 11:03 AM
Wait so last week we wanted KT to get the start and now we want to take a grad transfer because KT sucks? What? The kid is 2-0 in starts and has done nothing to prove he can't get it done.

I'm a big believer in KT. Dude is smart and hella talented.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-02-2018, 11:06 AM
Wait so last week we wanted KT to get the start and now we want to take a grad transfer because KT sucks? What? The kid is 2-0 in starts and has done nothing to prove he can't get it done.

I'm a big believer in KT. Dude is smart and hella talented.

I think it's more of an unknown & concern whether KT can pass well enough. Not that he can't do it but in his limited time he hasn't done it well. I don't think he's played enough to say he can't be a good passer but in his basically 3 games he's shown enough to warrant some concern on whether he can. That's fair for fans to say.

basedog
11-02-2018, 11:17 AM
I think it's more of an unknown & concern whether KT can pass well enough. Not that he can't do it but in his limited time he hasn't done it well. I don't think he's played enough to say he can't be a good passer but in his basically 3 games he's shown enough to warrant some concern on whether he can. That's fair for fans to say.

I don't get Thompson not getting some playing time. Dude may not be the answer but I question not giving him a chance in past games. It ain't like Fitz has been all Sec this season.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-02-2018, 12:55 PM
I don't get Thompson not getting some playing time. Dude may not be the answer but I question not giving him a chance in past games. It ain't like Fitz has been all Sec this season.

Well we had planned to give him his chance last Saturday & then Fitz had his best game of the year.

Commercecomet24
11-02-2018, 12:56 PM
Well we had planned to give him his chance last Saturday & then Fitz had his best game of the year.

Fitz had a little extra motivation last Saturday.

bulldawg28
11-02-2018, 01:29 PM
Fitz had a little extra motivation last Saturday.

I believe the only way Fitz plays well is with this motivation.

Commercecomet24
11-02-2018, 01:32 PM
I believe the only way Fitz plays well is with this motivation.

I believe you're right. Some guys have to be pushed for playing time to bring out their best.

basedog
11-02-2018, 01:34 PM
The thing is, Thompson could have been getting some snaps earlier. All I know is he was a stud coming to Msu, dude played hard in the two games he started. Fitz has struggled mighty in 3 or 4 games, maybe Thompson would have also but not at least giving him some playing time is just kinda off charts to me.

Oh well!

StarkVegasSteve
11-02-2018, 01:46 PM
The thing is, Thompson could have been getting some snaps earlier. All I know is he was a stud coming to Msu, dude played hard in the two games he started. Fitz has struggled mighty in 3 or 4 games, maybe Thompson would have also but not at least giving him some playing time is just kinda off charts to me.

Oh well!

Nobody is doubting that KT was highly regarded in high school, but this isn't high school. And if you have a chance to bring in a QB who's been on the biggest stages then you do it. It's also very telling to me that we're looking at bringing in other QB's if/when Kelly Bryant doesn't work out.

basedog
11-02-2018, 02:15 PM
Nobody is doubting that KT was highly regarded in high school, but this isn't high school. And if you have a chance to bring in a QB who's been on the biggest stages then you do it. It's also very telling to me that we're looking at bringing in other QB's if/when Kelly Bryant doesn't work out.

New Coaches want there own players I get that. But after the end of last season and the first game this season, I surely thought Thompson would get a chance in a few games. I wish him well as I bet he is gone.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-02-2018, 02:31 PM
New Coaches want there own players I get that. But after the end of last season and the first game this season, I surely thought Thompson would get a chance in a few games. I wish him well as I bet he is gone.

He hasn't thrown well in those 2 games. I also think it's way premature to say he's leaving either.

basedog
11-02-2018, 03:37 PM
He hasn't thrown well in those 2 games. I also think it's way premature to say he's leaving either.

Neither has Fitz, yes it may be premature but with rumors of Bryant plus the commitment of a 4 or 5 star Qb sure doesn’t look good with lack of playing time so far.

Lord McBuckethead
11-02-2018, 03:55 PM
DAMN IT. KT will be fine and will be our starter next year. After 3 consecutive starts KT will look like a totally different player than he does today. Also players prepare differently when they know they are the guy. That's just a fact. The only upside to Fitz screwing the pooch for that 5 game stretch was that it may have been possible for KT to get some games this season to get over that 3-4 games catch up time he will need. Now that Fitz and Co have decided to play ball and try to score, looks like we are with Fitz until the end, which is totally fine as long as he is playing up to par.

I still argue that it is possible and maybe likely that if KT was playing from game 1 as the starter, we would be in a better position on offense today than we are. Knowing what I know now, on the 3 losses that we shouldn't have, I would have rather taken that chance.