PDA

View Full Version : Will we ever play a home game in Jackson

BogeyGolfer
10-16-2013, 09:27 PM
Again? I've been watching highlights from our 1981 game v Florida in Jackson and it was a great atmosphere. I'm all for keeping most home games on campus but wouldn't mind playing one SEC home game in the Jackson area... I'm from N MS and wouldn't mind the drive one game a year. Of course I would want a new stadium to play in in Jackson area... Not the dump...

TheRef
10-16-2013, 09:29 PM
Again? I've been watching highlights from our 1981 game v Florida in Jackson and it was a great atmosphere. I'm all for keeping most home games on campus but wouldn't mind playing one SEC home game in the Jackson area... I'm from N MS and wouldn't mind the drive one game a year. Of course I would want a new stadium to play in in Jackson area... Not the dump...

I'd like to say it would happen, but there are NO plans to build a new stadium in Jackson. So consider this a moot point. If it was to happen in Jackson, would you want it to be a SEC game or a OOC game?

Todd4State
10-16-2013, 09:32 PM
I'd like to see us play a Sun Belt team in Jackson if it ever happens. Honestly I think people would remember why we don't play there if it ever happened though.

Esmerelda Villalobos
10-16-2013, 09:36 PM
No unless we buy a road game. Zero chance

godlluB
10-16-2013, 09:37 PM
God I hope not. I'm seriously averse to bullet wounds.

MSUDawg4Life
10-16-2013, 09:43 PM
I'd like to say it would happen, but there are NO plans to build a new stadium in Jackson. So consider this a moot point. If it was to happen in Jackson, would you want it to be a SEC game or a OOC game?

That's not true.

Jacksondevildog
10-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Does sports center in Starkville have maroon flak jackets? If so, I would purchase one if we played in Jackson.

TheRef
10-16-2013, 09:44 PM
That's not true.

Where did you read about a new stadium in Jackson?

MSUDawg4Life
10-16-2013, 09:49 PM
http://www.jsums.edu/dome

Coach34
10-16-2013, 09:51 PM
I looked into it along with a couple of other guys. The logistics of it are just too complicated and the upkeep of the stadium hasnt been great to say the least.

Not gonna happen at this point and that's a shame. Some really great memories of games played in Jackson. Hell, I never attended a State football game on campus until I was 17 years old- and I had seen us play probably 40 times at that point.

BogeyGolfer
10-16-2013, 10:03 PM
The first I can remember I was probably five also the USM and Ole Miss games we played in Jackson. I would support a venue similar to the Florida v UGA game for the Egg Bowl... Imagine a new stadium, bands, fan fare etc... That would bring a lot of money, national attention to our state and the area each year. It would need to be in an area that is safe with a lot of room.

bully99
10-16-2013, 10:06 PM
As you youngins would say I'm rolling all over the floor laughing my ass off. We'll never play another game at Memorial Stadium. I went to many a game there going back to the 60's including the first NFL Exhibition game in 1969. The atmosphere when State played OM and USM was unmatched that you can't compare to campus games today. Half the stadium with each fanbase was electric. I was there for many a State debacle. The 81 and 83 eggbowls. The 7-6 loss to USM in 81. But it was still a great experience.

Memorial Stadium will be torn down in a few years. The State will build jsu a modest stadium on their campus.

PassInterference
10-16-2013, 10:30 PM
I remember beating LSU's ass repeatedly in Jackson.

M.Fillmore
10-16-2013, 10:32 PM
I've heard talk from USM types that they may want to move the USM game in Hattiesburg to Jackson for a bigger gate. I'm very dubious about this rumor.

Bothrops
10-16-2013, 10:47 PM
No. It will never happen again. Games in Jackson had great atmospheres, but those were very different times. The stadium was louder than Davis-Wade and Vaught are today. I think you could squeeze about 62,000 in there. Saw many games in that horseshoe.

AROB44
10-17-2013, 05:59 AM
If I remember correctly, you can not bring recruits to a game played anywhere other than your campus. Another reason to never play a home game in Jackson.

BulldogBear
10-17-2013, 06:34 AM
The first 6 games I went to as a kid were in Jackson:

1980- Auburn 24-21W (week before the other game!)
1981- Memphis State 20-3W, Florida 28-7W
1982- Alabama 20-12L
1983- Navy 38-10W, USM 31-6L (one of only a handful of times I ever heard my Dad do some cussin')

Went to an Egg Bowl in '88, 33-6L in rain and mud. The LSU 1990 game we won 34-22 and it "weren't that close." Then an Ole Miss-LSU game (Bears won 32-0) in 1992 and an OLe Miss-Arkansas (Bears 19-0) game in 1993. That's the last. Lotta good memories but there are really just no practical reasons from State or UM pov to play a game there anymore against anybody. It's a shame it isn't a better venue. I understand one of the reasons they used to play 2-3 games a year there was capacity against opponents in games likely to have bigger attendence numbers. As both schools upgraded facilities on campus to comparable levels there just wasn't any justification.

dawgoneyall
10-17-2013, 06:40 AM
I didn't attend MSU in Jackson.

Jacksondevildog
10-17-2013, 06:52 AM
People also forget about the saints/colts screw up. They only had something like 2 gates open for 65,000 people. Some people got to their seats during the 3rd quarter. People were parking at St. Andrews lower school and walking there. If I survived that 30-40 minute walk to and from there, I would expect Obama to give me a Purple Heart. To hell with the Memorial Stadium idea.

bocfarm
10-17-2013, 07:49 AM
We're almost finished spending millions of dollars renovating our own stadium no chance we give up revenue to play somewhere else.

At least for the foreseeable future

Dawgface
10-17-2013, 08:02 AM
Hope not. Certainly not in the old dump and I can't imagine Jackson spending the money on a new stadium when State and OM doesn't want to play there.

Coach34
10-17-2013, 08:35 AM
We're almost finished spending millions of dollars renovating our own stadium no chance we give up revenue to play somewhere else.

At least for the foreseeable future

Well, the idea was to buy a home game from somebody we were playing on the road. But South Alabama declined- their AD said money wasnt an issue- we were going to be the main attraction for them

SheltonChoked
10-17-2013, 09:37 AM
We will play in Jackson as soon as it makes money sense. If we could make more money playing there vs at Davis wade we would move games. So Jackson would need a new facility with enough seats to offset our attendance, premium seating, concessions, etc.

This will never happen.

dawgs
10-17-2013, 10:23 AM
No unless we buy a road game. Zero chance

this

BulldogBear
10-17-2013, 10:54 AM
We will play in Jackson as soon as it makes money sense. If we could make more money playing there vs at Davis wade we would move games. So Jackson would need a new facility with enough seats to offset our attendance, premium seating, concessions, etc.

This will never happen.

Right! But if they did, I bet the Egg Bowl would fill a 80K+ capacity stadium. So would USM-MSU. Not all the time but THIS time it likely would because we haven't played in so long.

SheltonChoked
10-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Right so Jackson would have to fund building a 100,000 seat Stadium with all the amenities of Davis Wade and Vaught Hemingway, with public money, and grant a larger cash payout than either could make by playing the games at home.

If that were to happen, it would be like the pre-1991 days, all of our big games would be there.

But it won't happen.

First, Jackson will never build it.
Second, if they planned on building it, both Ole Miss and MSU would expand again to make it unfeaseable
Third, see point one.