PDA

View Full Version : The new MHSAA football regions are up....

Liverpooldawg
10-31-2018, 03:17 PM
on their website.

stalkingpoon
10-31-2018, 03:27 PM
on their website.

Awesome! Thanks for the link***

BurgDawg
10-31-2018, 04:05 PM

https://www.misshsaa.com/2018/10/31/2019-21-football-regions/

Jack Lambert
10-31-2018, 04:16 PM
Year in and year out this is going to be a tough region.

Brandon High School 6 3
George County High School 6 3
Meridian High School 6 3
Northwest Rankin High School 6 3
Oak Grove High School 6 3
Pearl High School 6 3
Petal High School 6 3
Terry High School

I feel for Terry and George County.

Cooterpoot
10-31-2018, 04:17 PM
They need to eliminate 6A and go back to two teams from each district in the playoffs.

Homedawg
10-31-2018, 04:21 PM
They need to eliminate 6A and go back to two teams from each district in the playoffs.

What does having 6a have to do with it? They can go to two teams now from each of they so chose. Won't happen though.

Liverpooldawg
10-31-2018, 05:01 PM

I'm an old dude and I can use Google, just sayin :p

Coursesuper
10-31-2018, 05:21 PM
What does having 6a have to do with it? They can go to two teams now from each of they so chose. Won't happen though.

Agree, what does school size have to do with it.

Liverpooldawg
10-31-2018, 05:27 PM
Agree, what does school size have to do with it.

Make every class like 1,5, and 6A. 4 regions and 4 teams from each region.

Coursesuper
10-31-2018, 06:15 PM
Make every class like 1,5, and 6A. 4 regions and 4 teams from each region.

I understand what your getting at, but it won't work out that way due to the distribution of the class size schools in the state. It's stretched like it is there are a lot more small schools in the north half of the state, not as many unified school districts. Look at the numbers for 1A and 2A

Liverpooldawg
10-31-2018, 06:44 PM
I understand what your getting at, but it won't work out that way due to the distribution of the class size schools in the state. It's stretched like it is there are a lot more small schools in the north half of the state, not as many unified school districts. Look at the numbers for 1A and 2A

I'm a 1A guy. I know all about that. The regions work out pretty well for 1A.

BuckyIsAB****
10-31-2018, 07:18 PM

Brandon High School 6 3
Meridian High School 6 3
Pearl High School 6 3
Petal High School 6 3
Terry High School

SEC west of MS HSFB

sandjunky
10-31-2018, 08:01 PM
SEC west of MS HSFB

I?d say 4-5A is there as well

BuckyIsAB****
10-31-2018, 08:11 PM
I?d say 4-5A is there as well

Region 4 5A or are you saying 4A and 5A football is as good as 6A

Cooterpoot
10-31-2018, 08:23 PM

Because it?s watered down the lower classifications. All for the sake of money.

StateDawg44
10-31-2018, 08:26 PM
I'm an old dude and I can use Google, just sayin :p

It literally takes more key strokes to type "on their website." than it does to copy and paste a link. Just sayin.

Liverpooldawg
10-31-2018, 08:28 PM
It literally takes more key strokes to type "on their website." than it does to copy and paste a link. Just sayin.

I didn't have a link when I posted it. I had seen it on Twitter and I was on a device that wouldn't let me copy and paste from Twitter. Just sayin......

Gutter Cobreh
10-31-2018, 09:03 PM
I didn't have a link when I posted it. I had seen it on Twitter and I was on a device that wouldn't let me copy and paste from Twitter. Just sayin......

Too busy worrying about starting a thread and getting the scoop. We get it. You're not the only one that does this, but Statedawg44 is correct here by calling you out.

Todd4State
10-31-2018, 09:44 PM
Here's a thought about 6A:

It's almost inevitable that District one is going to be all Memphis area schools. District four is already Mississippi Gulf Coast School. Between Districts 2-3 there are eight Jackson Metro area schools. In about 10 years I hope the MHSAA does something fan friendly and create- a Memphis District, a Mississippi Gulf Coast District, a Jackson Metro District, and then the rest (Tupelo, Meridian, Starkville, Oxford, Oak Grove, Petal, Warren Central, and maybe George County, Greenville or Murrah if Ridgeland can ever break into 6A?) become the new "Big 8". Basically it would be rivalry friendly leagues which would basically mean interesting games every Friday.

But since the MHSAA has no creativity it will never happen.

Pinto
10-31-2018, 10:25 PM
Region 1-4A only has 5 teams meaning you only have to win 1 game to get in the playoffs. That is a total joke.

somebodyshotmypaw
11-01-2018, 03:06 AM
Germantown has been pillow fighting in 4A and 5A since the school opened. Now they move to 6A. Softest team I've seen. Surely they are going to get hammered in football.

Then again, I watched Prep and Forest play and was shocked at how bad Forest was. They looked like Prep's 7th grade team. But they went 7-4 and made the playoffs. Maybe high school football is just bad a lot of places.

Liverpooldawg
11-01-2018, 07:58 AM
Too busy worrying about starting a thread and getting the scoop. We get it. You're not the only one that does this, but Statedawg44 is correct here by calling you out.

Calling me out? What is it, pistols or swords? Good lord you guys take the cake.

StateDawg44
11-01-2018, 08:14 AM
Yeah. Wouldn't say I was "calling him out". I really couldn't care less about HS football so wouldn't have clicked the link if it were there. Just agreed with the second post, who also could've posted the link probably.

It's just a thread, but still, what type of device doesn't allow you to copy and paste? I'm actually curious.

DawgFromOxford
11-01-2018, 08:47 AM

It's almost inevitable that District one is going to be all Memphis area schools. District four is already Mississippi Gulf Coast School. Between Districts 2-3 there are eight Jackson Metro area schools. In about 10 years I hope the MHSAA does something fan friendly and create- a Memphis District, a Mississippi Gulf Coast District, a Jackson Metro District, and then the rest (Tupelo, Meridian, Starkville, Oxford, Oak Grove, Petal, Warren Central, and maybe George County, Greenville or Murrah if Ridgeland can ever break into 6A?) become the new "Big 8". Basically it would be rivalry friendly leagues which would basically mean interesting games every Friday.

In theory the matchups would be cool. In actuality you'd be asking some teams to drive 8-10 hours round trip on a Friday to play. Good luck convincing coaches or school districts, that will have to pay the travel costs, that it's a good idea.

Liverpooldawg
11-01-2018, 08:49 AM
Yeah. Wouldn't say I was "calling him out". I really couldn't care less about HS football so wouldn't have clicked the link if it were there. Just agreed with the second post, who also could've posted the link probably.

It's just a thread, but still, what type of device doesn't allow you to copy and paste? I'm actually curious.
My phone, when viewing a webpage while on Twitter. It may allow it, but I've never done it before and I did not have time at that moment to figure it out. I was at work and I had to get back to, you know, work.

Tbonewannabe
11-01-2018, 08:49 AM
My hometown of Belmont is now 3A and so is Booneville. That is total bullshit. For anyone who doesn't know, Booneville is where Northeast MS Community College is located. It is probably almost double the size of the Belmont.

Liverpooldawg
11-01-2018, 08:55 AM
My hometown of Belmont is now 3A and so is Booneville. That is total bullshit. For anyone who doesn't know, Booneville is where Northeast MS Community College is located. It is probably almost double the size of the Belmont.

True, but Belmont has a lot of rural area in its district, Booneville doesn't. Belmont has been 3A for several years now by the way. It's all done using the state's head count that also determines school funding from the state. Nobody is shorting that just for sports. If any dirty tricks are going on it's to inflate counts. With the way it's done now that's really not possible. The counts are accurate for everybody.

StateDawg44
11-01-2018, 09:13 AM
My phone, when viewing a webpage while on Twitter. It may allow it, but I've never done it before and I did not have time at that moment to figure it out. I was at work and I had to get back to, you know, work.

Are you trying to tell me that work is more important than HS football?????

Yeah I don't do Twitter so I wouldn't know how either if it's not just hold my finger on there and tell it to copy when prompted. Or just click the link on twitter and then copy it out of the address bar when it takes me to it in my browser. It may not even work like that with Twitter.

sleepy dawg
11-01-2018, 09:43 AM

Brandon High School 6 3
Meridian High School 6 3
Pearl High School 6 3
Petal High School 6 3
Terry High School

Yep, that's it for Terry. What little shot they had anyway is now gone.

Coursesuper
11-01-2018, 10:00 AM

Travel would make that impractical, budgets are already stretched for many school districts even at the 6A level, and in that scenario your asking Tupelo to travel to Lucedale and vice versa that's 4 hours one way in a car longer on bus. That said the districts are set up pretty well and they do adjust every two years.

I think that's why the playoff era (started in1981) now is so much better than the old conference and bowls like it was way back when. We are seeing many more teams playing schools play each other than ever before while traditional rivalries are preserved for the most part.

mparkerfd20
11-01-2018, 10:54 AM
Magee's new division will be the SEC West of 3A football.

Current 3A rankings of teams in 3A - 8 (next year):
Columbia - 2
Seminary - 3
Jefferson Davis Co. - 5
Magee - 10
Tylertown - 11
West Marion - 12

Tbonewannabe
11-01-2018, 11:31 AM
True, but Belmont has a lot of rural area in its district, Booneville doesn't. Belmont has been 3A for several years now by the way. It's all done using the state's head count that also determines school funding from the state. Nobody is shorting that just for sports. If any dirty tricks are going on it's to inflate counts. With the way it's done now that's really not possible. The counts are accurate for everybody.

I guess it shows how much I attention I pay to it. Belmont has fluctuated between 3A and 2A, it kind of depends on how many students from Tishomingo choose Belmont instead of Tishomingo County.

Belmont might have more rural area but it is weird that a town that doesn't even have a red light or any franchise restaurant besides Subway would have the same enrollment as a bigger town like Booneville. It could just be that Belmont is the smallest 3A and Booneville is the biggest.

Around the time that I was in high school, Booneville had won several state titles and then moved up to 3A. After a couple of years not winning, they miraculously went back down to 2A to start kicking ass again.

Cooterpoot
11-01-2018, 11:49 AM
Magee's new division will be the SEC West of 3A football.

Current 3A rankings of teams in 3A - 8 (next year):
Seminary - 3
Jefferson Davis Co. - 5
Magee - 10
Tylertown - 11
West Marion - 12

You missed Columbia

mparkerfd20
11-01-2018, 11:52 AM
You missed Columbia

Indeed I did and they are ranked 2 which further proves my point.

Liverpooldawg
11-01-2018, 01:48 PM
I guess it shows how much I attention I pay to it. Belmont has fluctuated between 3A and 2A, it kind of depends on how many students from Tishomingo choose Belmont instead of Tishomingo County.

Belmont might have more rural area but it is weird that a town that doesn't even have a red light or any franchise restaurant besides Subway would have the same enrollment as a bigger town like Booneville. It could just be that Belmont is the smallest 3A and Booneville is the biggest.

Around the time that I was in high school, Booneville had won several state titles and then moved up to 3A. After a couple of years not winning, they miraculously went back down to 2A to start kicking ass again.

Hatley is even smaller than Belmont and they are flirting with 4A.

Tbonewannabe
11-01-2018, 02:09 PM
Hatley is even smaller than Belmont and they are flirting with 4A.

Hatley is basically in Amory.

Liverpooldawg
11-01-2018, 02:34 PM
Hatley is basically in Amory.

Not really. It's a very small town that has a school with an absolutely huge district. They don't get any kids from Amory anymore.

bobcat91
11-01-2018, 03:33 PM
2A just got Charleston dropped into it. Those schools have no idea what is going to happen to them.

BuckyIsAB****
11-01-2018, 08:29 PM
2A just got Charleston dropped into it. Those schools have no idea what is going to happen to them.

Pelahatchie and Taylorsville can play with them

Tbonewannabe
11-01-2018, 08:47 PM
Not really. It's a very small town that has a school with an absolutely huge district. They don't get any kids from Amory anymore.

Google says it is about 5 miles from Amory. Belmont is almost 30 minutes to a red light.

bobcat91
11-01-2018, 10:44 PM
Pelahatchie and Taylorsville can play with them

Year in and out Charleston plays and beats 5A and 6A teams. Over the past several years they have beaten Southaven, Horn Lake, Grenada, Lafayette County, etc. They will dominate 2A.

Liverpooldawg
11-02-2018, 11:15 AM
Google says it is about 5 miles from Amory. Belmont is almost 30 minutes to a red light.

I know where Hatley is, and Belmont. I'm a life long resident of NE Miss. What you can't seem to grasp is that town size, when we are talking about rural county school district schools, has little to do with school size. It's all about district size and how many people live in it. Hatley is a county school with a big district, just like Belmont.

Tbonewannabe
11-02-2018, 11:45 AM
I know where Hatley is, and Belmont. I'm a life long resident of NE Miss. What you can't seem to grasp is that town size, when we are talking about rural county school district schools, has little to do with school size. It's all about district size and how many people live in it. Hatley is a county school with a big district, just like Belmont.

I wasn't saying anything about Hatley. I was comparing Belmont to Booneville originally. I have a hard time believing Belmont has more people even rurally than Booneville. Belmont doesn't seem any bigger when I go back from when I graduated with 69 people.

It could amount to Belmont is one of the smallest in 3A and Booneville is one of the largest. When I was there it was rumored that Booneville listed people in special Ed to get under the thresh hold. I don't know if that was true but Booneville won several state titles then moved up and started losing. They then somehow moved back down a couple of years later.

Westdawg
11-02-2018, 01:10 PM
Poor Class 3A will have Noxubee County to have to contend with. There's about to be a major run on championships for that program in 3A. They were a monster to face in 4A....ouch.

Drewbowski
11-02-2018, 08:02 PM
As a rsident of "the rest" district, that's a terrible idea!